Dave Joerger and a major concern

F

Fora Dragi

You might want to investigate that whooshing sound.
I don't mind stopping the banter but I didn't start this one. Although as a mod you may wish to end it...instead of digging in to a situation you aren't a part of and then crying foul when you can't handle it anymore.

F

Fora Dragi

Hint: Slim's post was referring to the firing of Mike Malone.

Re-read it in that context and it will make as much sense to you now as it made to the rest of us the first time around.
Yes, but applying it to the current situation. Unless he is still butt hurt over something that was years ago. Yah it sucked but move on.

Fans love to second guess coaches.
If anyone here was really good at coming up with rotations they would be wearing a suit somewhere in the front row.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't mind stopping the banter but I didn't start this one. Although as a mod you may wish to end it...instead of digging in to a situation you aren't a part of and then crying foul when you can't handle it anymore.
The "whooshing sound" I'm referring to is the fact some of the comments being made were going right over your head. I don't care if you and Slim "banter" for all eternity. He's a big boy. He doesn't need me to step in.

Last edited:
Wait, back up: are you telling us that you've been on this drag for the last few months, because you feel like Karl got a raw deal? o_O
It's not about Karl per se, but the idea that everything was Karl's fault and the whole team underperformed because of Karl and everyone was being played out of position and out of strengths and set up to fail, and that Joerger was gonna come in and magically turn us into a legit playoff team. For example, so many posts about Rudy having a bad year because he was being played at the 4, or of horrors that Cousins was out at the 3 point line.

It's not about Karl per se, but the idea that everything was Karl's fault and the whole team underperformed because of Karl and everyone was being played out of position and out of strengths and set up to fail, and that Joerger was gonna come in and magically turn us into a legit playoff team. For example, so many posts about Rudy having a bad year because he was being played at the 4, or of horrors that Cousins was out at the 3 point line.
I for one believe Rudy's issue has been motivation and when Malone was let go he lost most of it. Now, be it for trade purposes, a new contract or otherwise, he seems to have for the most part found something else to play harder for.

Cousins adding the three to his repertoire has been a big positive in my eyes. I am not sure who deserves the credit, him GK or a little of both. If you are the most dominant force on the block, yet nothing else, it sure makes it easier to game plan against you.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I don't know if I remember any of this talk about Joerger "magically" turning us into a legit playoff team... I think that a lot of people felt like the lower half of the western conference playoff picture is wide open, and many of us probably still believe that. It is true that Cousins is shooting more threes now than he ever has but, for some reason, it feels different. I'm not sure how to quantify it: maybe it's because the pace is slower, and it doesn't look like the sort of run-n-shoot offense that I loathe, or maybe it because the team doesn't seem to be pulling in a different direction from the coach, like they were last year, and I feel more confident that it's going to turn around, as opposed to last year, when I was just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

We may still be a bad team but, for the first time since before Malone was fired, we seem like a team that's moving in the right direction.

Cousins being able to shoot 3's at high percentage is one of the only things we can thank Karl for. That did upgrade Cousins' game IMO. But It's hard to think of anything else Karl did good for this team.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Which were correct. Karl misused both guys because in his old age he had become a limited idealogue rather than an adaptive basketball coach. Should never have taken over a team built like ours, except of course he was desperate to take over any team, and its pretty clear he assumed he would be able to muscle his way past PDA, who he knew as just some assistant bagel fetcher in Denver, and take over the Kings to remake the team in his image.

Bricklayer

But we didn't though. It's like saying, "what if we drafted IT at 10 and Jimmer at 60 instead?"

We took Papagiannis at 13, Richardson at 22, and Labissiere at 28. If we really need to spin things to make it sound good for us, then maybe it's not all that good?
still means that in the end we may have gotten roughly the appropriate amount of talent out of this draft given our draft positions. Hence, not a disastrous draft.

Its like the Jimmer draft. that was an asinine pick, doubly so when you realize we passed up Klay, Kemba and Kawhi for him. Yet in the end we also got IT out of that draft, so we did in fact get the offensively talented little chucker out of the draft we were looking for, and that draft is the only one since Cousins arrived where we affirmatively added a significant NBA talent.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
But we didn't though. It's like saying, "what if we drafted IT at 10 and Jimmer at 60 instead?"

We took Papagiannis at 13, Richardson at 22, and Labissiere at 28. If we really need to spin things to make it sound good for us, then maybe it's not all that good?
If you don't want to take part in a conversation because it makes no sense to you, why take part?

K

KingsFan80

still means that in the end we may have gotten roughly the appropriate amount of talent out of this draft given our draft positions. Hence, not a disastrous draft.

Its like the Jimmer draft. that was an asinine pick, doubly so when you realize we passed up Klay, Kemba and Kawhi for him. Yet in the end we also got IT out of that draft, so we did in fact get the offensively talented little chucker out of the draft we were looking for, and that draft is the only one since Cousins arrived where we affirmatively added a significant NBA talent.
IT averaged 11 points in his rookie season. At that point we knew he was something special. The guys we drafted don't even play and the majority are in Reno. Big difference. Papa is literally terrible. Skal could maybe contribute at some point. Richardson I just don't understand, why not play him?

If you don't want to take part in a conversation because it makes no sense to you, why take part?
But the order in which you picked them does matter, because you could've taken a different gut at 13 and still stay with Skal- in fact you could've not made a trade at all and just take whoever you liked with the 8th pick and still pickup Skal at 22.

BTW- when did Skal became a consensus here?
He fell for a reason and still has high bust potential.
Right now Papagiannis is actually putting up better numbers than him in the D-League pretty much across the board.

Bricklayer

But the order in which you picked them does matter,
everybody could always have a perfect draft, but in the end, no matter which picks took what, you just need to get some talent out of them. If we eventually get 2 NBA players out of it, and one who at some point can be a starter at some level, that would be just fine no matter which does which. If we blew the 13th pick but scored with the 28th, we still end up ok. Asking any drafter to hit with every pick isn't really reasonable unless you are in the Top 5.

everybody could always have a perfect draft, but in the end, no matter which picks took what, you just need to get some talent out of them. If we eventually get 2 NBA players out of it, and one who at some point can be a starter at some level, that would be just fine no matter which does which. If we blew the 13th pick but scored with the 28th, we still end up ok. Asking any drafter to hit with every pick isn't really reasonable unless you are in the Top 5.
It's more a question of why Vlade selected Papa, and if that points to his aptitude as a GM, which would affect our future heading forward. But maybe Papa will surprise, he has positive attributes

Glenn

Hall of Famer
But the order in which you picked them does matter, because you could've taken a different gut at 13 and still stay with Skal- in fact you could've not made a trade at all and just take whoever you liked with the 8th pick and still pickup Skal at 22.

BTW- when did Skal became a consensus here?
He fell for a reason and still has high bust potential.
Right now Papagiannis is actually putting up better numbers than him in the D-League pretty much across the board.
The way I saw that draft, after pick 8, it was a crap shoot. It's interesting Big Pappa has better stats but then that's what being 7'2" and playing no further than 10 ft from the rim gets you. Skal is a very decent athlete and I know people want him to put on more weight. He will never have the strength to be a center but could be a very good stretch 4. Time will tell.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
It's more a question of why Vlade selected Papa, and if that points to his aptitude as a GM, which would affect our future heading forward. But maybe Papa will surprise, he has positive attributes
I could carry out this argument and say "what if Vlade was the only one to see the future of Skal" but I won't. :)

For those of you bashing the rookie draft picks My suggestion is that sometimes players take time to develop.

Exhibit A is Garrett Temple who is a great defender, handles the ball well and shoots the 3 well. Not to mention he is a great Team mate and positive influence on those around him. Now he was a King a few seasons ago and he was not the player he is now back then.

Exhibit B is Hassan Whiteside who was drafted in the second round in the same draft as Boogie. When he was drafted he was not ready for the NBA most of us would agree. Just look at him now.

So before you talk a bunch of crap about the young fellas remember things take time.

For those of you bashing the rookie draft picks My suggestion is that sometimes players take time to develop.

Exhibit A is Garrett Temple who is a great defender, handles the ball well and shoots the 3 well. Not to mention he is a great Team mate and positive influence on those around him. Now he was a King a few seasons ago and he was not the player he is now back then.

Exhibit B is Hassan Whiteside who was drafted in the second round in the same draft as Boogie. When he was drafted he was not ready for the NBA most of us would agree. Just look at him now.

So before you talk a bunch of crap about the young fellas remember things take time.
Exhibit C: Otto Porter

The thing I like about Joerger is that he shows confidence in the team he has out on the floor, letting them play through adversity and giving them a solid chance or two to figure it out and adjust. Experience and reflection...that's how teams and players develop.

As for the odd pairings (i.e., Cousins and KK), there are times that he sees potential for good chemistry, based on his experience with many different types of players. The key word here is potential....meaning that little if any chemistry exists at the current time. This nothingness is what we see as fans, and it frustrates us, but Joerger will give it a chance to grow. He'll exercise patience and show trust in them because...well...he's Joerger, and he knows a thing or two about player development.

I trust Coach's experienced-based ability to (a) spot potential and (b) walk the line between nurturing it not having it cost us the game. It doesn't always take off, of course.....that's just life. And basketball.

S

sactownfan

Sorry but these posts are typical of all too many of your fly-by comments. You make vague general statements with lots of CAPS but little logic.

Dave Joerger and the Kings are a work in progress. You see "some kinda childish feud" when you have less than nothing to substantiate that statement. You resort to insults and innuendos when people don't agree with you.

Feel free to judge Joerger after less than one month as our head coach. If you don't mind, however, I think I'll wait just a tad longer before I decide he's stubborn and hardheaded.
Im dedicating this to you VF21...

So when Coach ran out for the one millionth time Koufos with Cousins to start the OT... who was he gonna guard? Morris the stretch 4? Good thing coach goes with the same flat, not working starting line up that gets down by about 10 pts to start every game.... shocking that we struggled for the first few mins of OT... only problem is OT isn't 12min quarters and unlike the 1st quarter we didn't have any time to correct this bone head coaching lineup

HERES A VAGUE GENERAL STATEMENT FOR YOU... we get bombed on to start games.... then.... when Koufos goes to the bench (sometimes for basically the rest of the game) ALL of a sudden things seem to MATCH UP better.... theres some vague general magic for you!!!

The team as a whole played terrible but Coach has influence on this... he's the captain and his lineups are nonsense. He's not doing anyone or this team any favors...

Just like Aaron Bruski and James Ham keep pointing out (you know the two professional basketball reporters who's lives are to cover the Kings?? based on your input you probably don't know who they are).... The Coach is hurting the team.

S

sactownfan

Again, can't believe his initial post. Joerger, in my eyes is not doing just fine, he's doing great. I have no problem with the "Koufos debacle", nor the "Casspi debacle" nor any other "huge problems" with his rotations.
Look if your MEM and you have Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol you can MAKE teams play your style.... When your running Koufos and Cousins at people. You have only one threat and one journeyman /glorified bench player. THIS ISNT MEM.... Coach is stuck in a style that isn't ever gonna work here. At least not unless we trade for Marc Gasol jeez

PLUS

DNP for Ben??? WTF??? I'm sorry to all you who ridiculed my original post.... Coaches rotations are a total joke right now... Ben at times deserves to get the hook no doubt... but in a game against Wall and Beal .... with our team in need of some energy and scoring he can't even get on the freaking floor for 1 min? really? but Affalo gets 20+???? and Temple (who's been playing great in general but not tonight) gets 28mins... they were a combined 2-11 FG and 1-6 3pts in 48mins combined.... yet not one min there in an OT game for Ben????

this is undeniable nonsense I'm sorry to anyone that seriously can't see the effects of these terrible rotations.