Dave Joerger and a major concern

K

KingsFan80

But the order in which you picked them does matter, because you could've taken a different gut at 13 and still stay with Skal- in fact you could've not made a trade at all and just take whoever you liked with the 8th pick and still pickup Skal at 22.

BTW- when did Skal became a consensus here?
He fell for a reason and still has high bust potential.
Right now Papagiannis is actually putting up better numbers than him in the D-League pretty much across the board.
THe fact we could have taken SKal at 13 and Papa at 28 is kind of concerning to me
Look if your MEM and you have Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol you can MAKE teams play your style.... When your running Koufos and Cousins at people. You have only one threat and one journeyman /glorified bench player. THIS ISNT MEM.... Coach is stuck in a style that isn't ever gonna work here. At least not unless we trade for Marc Gasol jeez

PLUS

DNP for Ben??? WTF??? I'm sorry to all you who ridiculed my original post.... Coaches rotations are a total joke right now... Ben at times deserves to get the hook no doubt... but in a game against Wall and Beal .... with our team in need of some energy and scoring he can't even get on the freaking floor for 1 min? really? but Affalo gets 20+???? and Temple (who's been playing great in general but not tonight) gets 28mins... they were a combined 2-11 FG and 1-6 3pts in 48mins combined.... yet not one min there in an OT game for Ben????

this is undeniable nonsense I'm sorry to anyone that seriously can't see the effects of these terrible rotations.
The problem isn't the coach. It is the same problem we had five years ago, when this team would lose a game like tonight, NO TALENT. We lost games like this with Malone, Corbin, Karl and now Joerger. This team has no talent outside of Cousins and maybe Rudy Gay.

I'm starting to get real concerned about Joerger's man-crush on Kosta.

I'm beginning to get worried it's making Cousins deliberately play like crap whenever he's beside him, just to make the point clear to coach.

This team can't afford to not be on the same page and working together - they simply aren't good enough to win unless they are all in.

I'm sensing internal fractures on this team, mainly from coach's hardheaded lineups, in conflict with his own words!

They will not make the playoffs if Joerger doesn;t give in and play the lineups that Cuz wants - cause we all know Cuz is so hardheaded, he'll torpedo entire seasons if he doesn't like the coaching.

Cousins is not deliberately playing like crap when paired with Kosta. Why would you think that when there's obvious playstyle issues?

Here's the prob with Kosta/Boogie: Both are heavy bodied guys. (not fat, just not lean) Neither are sprinters. Cousins is an offensive unicorn, but Kosta must play at the rim. So, defenisvely, neither is rangy, but there is no offensive benefit as one of the two can't play high post/horns sort of system.

They don't compliment each other at either end. Neither is trying to suck. They just don't mesh in the same way the Garret Temple PG with no ball handlers line-up doesn't mesh because it can't create shots.

My issue is that Coach doesn't learn from his own mistakes.

A week ago, he declared he was done with the "big lineup" and was going "small". Takes Kosta out of the starting line up and the Kings get 2 impressive wins. Two games later, he is back to Kosta in the starting line up. WTF!!!

Come on Coach, learn from your own mistakes and stick to what is working.

KK in the starting line up is NOT working.
Aaron Afflalo in the starting line up is NOT working.
Lawson in the starting line up is NOT working.

Barnes or Casspi as the starting Power Forward would work.
Garrett Temple as the starting Shooting Guard would work.
DMC, Gay, Collison as starters do work.

Coach, OPEN your freaking eyes and see what we all see and get the right rotation in there ASAP, otherwise this ship is going to implode by Christmas!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
My issue is that Coach doesn't learn from his own mistakes.

A week ago, he declared he was done with the "big lineup" and was going "small". Takes Kosta out of the starting line up and the Kings get 2 impressive wins. Two games later, he is back to Kosta in the starting line up. WTF!!!

Come on Coach, learn from your own mistakes and stick to what is working.

KK in the starting line up is NOT working.
Aaron Afflalo in the starting line up is NOT working.
Lawson in the starting line up is NOT working.

Barnes or Casspi as the starting Power Forward would work.
Garrett Temple as the starting Shooting Guard would work.
DMC, Gay, Collison as starters do work.

Coach, OPEN your freaking eyes and see what we all see and get the right rotation in there ASAP, otherwise this ship is going to implode by Christmas!

he clearly likes Kosta out there to take the defensive punishment of guarding the really big more immobile type centers like Lopez and Gortat, and it mkes a certain amount of sense given how utterly reliant we are on Cousins to be a huge offensive force most nights. I'll do a big +/- thread later today about how that's working out.

Joerger sounded smirk in saying he's started five different lineups in the last five games in today's Bee, it's not my thing. I'm not feeling his style yet

he clearly likes Kosta out there to take the defensive punishment of guarding the really big more immobile type centers like Lopez and Gortat, and it mkes a certain amount of sense given how utterly reliant we are on Cousins to be a huge offensive force most nights. I'll do a big +/- thread later today about how that's working out.
The problem is that having KK and DMC in the starting line up is that they are both behemoth lane clogging big men that can not chase around today's modern NBA stretch 4s'.

What happens is that teams are getting off to fast starts against us because they know they can run and gun against the Kings starters and the Kings always find themselves 5-15 points down after the 1st quarter.

In today's NBA, an opposing team may have 1 real big man in the starting lineup and the rest of the starting five are run and gun players. Having two lane clogging big men is going to get you beat on most night, the NBA is a guards league now.

If coach doesn't want DMC to take the punishment of guarding guys like Lopez or Gortat, then he should start a mobile big like WCS or Casspi or Toliver.

But, a DMC and KK starting front court is going to get you burned more often than not.

Bricklayer

The problem is that having KK and DMC in the starting line up is that they are both behemoth lane clogging big men that can not chase around today's modern NBA stretch 4s'.

What happens is that teams are getting off to fast starts against us because they know they can run and gun against the Kings starters and the Kings always find themselves 5-15 points down after the 1st quarter.

In today's NBA, an opposing team may have 1 real big man in the starting lineup and the rest of the starting five are run and gun players. Having two lane clogging big men is going to get you beat on most night, the NBA is a guards league now.

If coach doesn't want DMC to take the punishment of guarding guys like Lopez or Gortat, then he should start a mobile big like WCS or Casspi or Toliver.

But, a DMC and KK starting front court is going to get you burned more often than not.
Sounds logical, except it's not really born our on court right now, at least directly. The stretch 4s aren't doing much against us really. It wasn't Markieff or Booker lighting us up. Instead it's the SGs and SFs.

S

sactownfan

well the major concern has virtually doomed this teams start to the season...

Coach is killing this teams energy and ability to win... we get down by 10pts to start every game... Cousins is guarding SF's... makes no freaking sense...
coach starts with the same lineup in the 3rd and sure enough just like EVERY SINGLE OTHER TIME THIS YEAR we get down immediately

This team isn't a contender and is a lower end playoff team... but its just sad and pathetic to see how bad this coach is shooting this team in the foot over and over again and never learning from his mistakes...

well the major concern has virtually doomed this teams start to the season...

Coach is killing this teams energy and ability to win... we get down by 10pts to start every game... Cousins is guarding SF's... makes no freaking sense...
coach starts with the same lineup in the 3rd and sure enough just like EVERY SINGLE OTHER TIME THIS YEAR we get down immediately

This team isn't a contender and is a lower end playoff team... but its just sad and pathetic to see how bad this coach is shooting this team in the foot over and over again and never learning from his mistakes...
Joerger is fine, calm down

ummm... sactownfan may be a bit rhetoric-sounding, but he has a real point here.
I don;t think Joerger's blatantly hard-headed continual mistakes should be overlooked, just because the Kings have had bad coaches for quite some time.

The obvious mistake of constantly starting Demarcus + Kosta is not even arguable at this point.

The offensive playcalls at the end of games are atrocious.
What was that playcall at the end of the Celtics game?
Everbody isolate for Cuz and hope he can get a Harden-flailing-arms call when he doesn't know how to do it?
There wasn't one player moving on that play.
Not one player with even an ATTEMPT at doing something.
How is that not Joerger's f-up?

And at one point are the Kings supposed to run actual plays in close games?
After 20 games?
After 41 games?
By the end of the season??

Bricklayer

at the very least:
Milsap
Bazemore
Thabo

its a team with a lot of juicy support parts that could help. Just no true centerpiece. We've got the centerpiece.

And if they did have to tear down and rebuild, the first and last guys there might actually be available.

Good lord. Joerger has this offense looking like complete crap. All they do these days is spend time around the parameter without plays to penetrate or post, etc. I gotta say, under Karl they gave up 150 points a game but at least the offense was fun to watch. Now their winning % is .348 and I honestly feel it is time to blow it up.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Good lord. Joerger has this offense looking like complete crap. All they do these days is spend time around the parameter without plays to penetrate or post, etc. I gotta say, under Karl they gave up 150 points a game but at least the offense was fun to watch. Now their winning % is .348 and I honestly feel it is time to blow it up.
Leave Joerger alone. He just got here. Let him ride a full season out with rotations and see how many players he brings back for the next season. I have a feeling a good amount of them won't be here.

Leave Joerger alone. He just got here. Let him ride a full season out with rotations and see how many players he brings back for the next season. I have a feeling a good amount of them won't be here.
He is doing a great job preaching defense and they are really forcing a lot of turnovers which keeps them the game somewhat. But let's get some offense ideas going too

How much of the grizzlies success was the talent and culture of ZBO/Gasol/Conley/Allen or the coaching of Joerger?

Some of Joerger's decsions have been head scratchers and his offense has been worse than Malones/on the level of Westphal/Smart.

Having seen Fizdale and Hollins have success with the same grizzles players makes me wonder.

Really hoping the Kings didnt get another Dud but for stability sake Joerger stays thru at least the first few years of the rebuild.

K

KingMilz

How much of the grizzlies success was the talent and culture of ZBO/Gasol/Conley/Allen or the coaching of Joerger?

Some of Joerger's decsions have been head scratchers and his offense has been worse than Malones/on the level of Westphal/Smart.

Having seen Fizdale and Hollins have success with the same grizzles players makes me wonder.

Really hoping the Kings didnt get another Dud but for stability sake Joerger stays thru at least the first few years of the rebuild.
I agree another question also is how many of the players including Cousins/Gay does DJ actually want on the roster to coach similar situation to last year with Karl although Dave is handling it way more professionally.