Dave Joerger and a major concern

I agree another question also is how many of the players including Cousins/Gay does DJ actually want on the roster to coach similar situation to last year with Karl although Dave is handling it way more professionally.
To me its the lack of adjustments/late adjustments that even posters on this board have seen early on that has been alarming. But im done blaming coaches, its on the players now, produce wins or leave so we can try to grow a young team and do a proper rebuild.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
To me its the lack of adjustments/late adjustments that even posters on this board have seen early on that has been alarming. But im done blaming coaches, its on the players now, produce wins or leave so we can try to grow a young team and do a proper rebuild.
I hope more posters on here follow in this direction. They will be better off IMO. It's time for Vlade to go to work and get away from bringing in stop gap players that do nothing for this team in the present or future. Do not sign a player or trade for one for the sake of making a move.

I disagree. Coach J knows a lot about rotations, more than anyone on this forum by a miles. Monday morning quarterbacking at its finest.

The Kings have two big problems. One is that they only play defense some of the time. Two is that they have one all-star and a bunch of journeymen players. Talented teams abound in the NBA, and it is just really hard to compete against them. We get beat on plays all the time by superior athletes. The Kings should watch the second half of last night's game many times and relish how defense, confidence, and getting up and down the floor wins games.

I disagree. Coach J knows a lot about rotations, more than anyone on this forum by a miles. Monday morning quarterbacking at its finest.

The Kings have two big problems. One is that they only play defense some of the time. Two is that they have one all-star and a bunch of journeymen players. Talented teams abound in the NBA, and it is just really hard to compete against them. We get beat on plays all the time by superior athletes. The Kings should watch the second half of last night's game many times and relish how defense, confidence, and getting up and down the floor wins games.
Eh. I think Joerger is a good coach, but with that being said, his rotations are terrible.

They're a complete mess. You put WCS in the dog house, but sometimes you don't. You give him minutes in the 1st half with the bench unit, but sometimes he never sees the floor in the 2nd half. You let Ben lead your bench, and then you decide not to. Then you decide to bench him for 3 games....and out of the blue, start him. You play Casspi inconsistent minutes, then bench him. 5 games later, you give him minutes again.

His rotations suck right now.

I agree with everything else you said, but his rotations are bad. I guess he's still experimenting, so I'll give him a pass...for now. (for his sucky rotations)

There's a lot of confusion and differing opinions amongst Kings Fans, but I wouldn;t have thought that the obvious coaching (substitution) mistakes would be one of them.

You just cannot go from DNP-CD for multiple games to the starting position without it being an indictment of your coaching.
And what he did to Omri proved his lack of knowledge of the players on this team (DNPs 9 out of the first 15 games, then finally realizing the guy is one of your top 7 players).

Joerger's bullheadedness on starting Afflalo and Kosta is indefensible.
His "reason" not to start his obvious best SG (Temple) is "because he likes/needs the flexibility he brings off the bench.
Let's examine that statement for a second, shall we?

Temple is now an undeniably better 3-pt shooter AND defender than Afflalo (who only scores well in the post, the same place where 2 of the starters work).
And Joerger's justification to not start him is that he needs Temple vs the other team's backups more than against their starters (who have been lighting us up and costing games with big deficits).... :confused:

What coach uses that irrational of reason and gets away with it (to the reporter squad and the fanbase)?
What coach dodges starting lineup questions by blaming the players? (newsflash - the point of lineup questions is that you, the coach, have the wrong players in, so blaming the players is blaming yourself!)

The "reporters" for the Kings are clearly scared of Joerger.
It's not their job to worry about their reputations or how the coach "zings" them when being questioned - it's their job to use their access to ask the questions that their customer base wants answered, and if he dodges the question or answers something unsupportable, it's their job to ask again (either that night or the next) and ask again until he says something reasonable.

dude12

Hall of Famer
There's a lot of confusion and differing opinions amongst Kings Fans, but I wouldn;t have thought that the obvious coaching (substitution) mistakes would be one of them.

You just cannot go from DNP-CD for multiple games to the starting position without it being an indictment of your coaching.
And what he did to Omri proved his lack of knowledge of the players on this team (DNPs 9 out of the first 15 games, then finally realizing the guy is one of your top 7 players).

His "reason" not to start his obvious best SG (Temple) is "because he likes/needs the flexibility he brings off the bench.

Temple is now an undeniably better 3-pt shooter AND defender than Afflalo (who only scores well in the post, the same place where 2 of the starters work).
And Joerger's justification to not start him is that he needs Temple vs the other team's backups more than against their starters (who have been lighting us up and costing games with big deficits).... :confused:

What coach uses that irrational of reason and gets away with it (to the reporter squad and the fanbase)?
What coach dodges starting lineup questions by blaming the players? (newsflash - the point of lineup questions is that you, the coach, have the wrong players in, so blaming the players is blaming yourself!)

It's not their job to worry about their reputations or how the coach "zings" them when being questioned - it's their job to use their access to ask the questions that their customer base wants answered, and if he dodges the question or answers something unsupportable, it's their job to ask again (either that night or the next) and ask again until he says something reasonable.
For the 100th time, Joerger has said this is going to be a process of a year and a half. He's establishing his culture and his expectations. He's stated why he has certain players in and why some guys come off the bench. All valid reasons. Temple is the guy for most if not every game in the 4th quarter crunch times. He has the task of recreating the culture here and it is a process.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

Do you really believe that Joerger should be telling the media everything he does behind the scenes? He is not entitled to do so. He said what we all needed to hear & wanted to hear from the beginning of his hire. It's all about culture change and establishing an identity. He does not have to go and tell reporters why Ben was randomly inserted into the lineup after 3 DNPs...he also does not have to tell anybody why he started playing Casspi later than expected...I might have an idea why Casspi has been playing more as of late but I'll go ahead and keep that reasoning to myself. It's simply what you and others on here want to hear maybe, make you feel better. At the end of the day though, I'm fine with him tinkering with the line ups...this team has too many ill fitting pieces, I've said it time and time again and I will continue to do so. He can only do so much with what he is given...personally, I'd like to see one of the rookies get some playing time before the season ends but I won't hold my breath if doesn't happen.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I mean, another way to look at it. I assume that everyone holds Popovich as one of the standards for coaches. What do you think he would say if someone asked him why he's playing certain rotations or players?

Another thought on Temple. Joerger has said why he likes to bring Temple off the bench. I'd also worry about him losing his effectiveness if he played 30+ minutes. He expends a lot of energy on the defensive side. Would he be able to keep it up for longer minutes. I do know I'd worry quite a bit about our bench holding together if he started. As it is now, our bench has cost us numerous leads over and over.

S

sactownfan

For the 100th time, Joerger has said this is going to be a process of a year and a half. He's establishing his culture and his expectations. He's stated why he has certain players in and why some guys come off the bench. All valid reasons. Temple is the guy for most if not every game in the 4th quarter crunch times. He has the task of recreating the culture here and it is a process.
The culture is... letting the opponents best player go off on the Kings to start the first quarter feel good about themselves in the game. Then bring in temple and expect him to get things back on track... ever single game. Same old crap. Coach is a joke. There's no good excuse at this point not to play ur best players at the start... considering how we have been starting games all year

dude12

Hall of Famer
Was looking at the OKC roster for possible trade fits and noticed Enes Kanter's minutes. He only plays 19 minutes per game, yet is their 4th leading scorer per game and is their 2nd highest paid player. I think a case can be made that he is one of their best 5 players, easily one of their best. Yet he only plays 19 minutes.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Was looking at the OKC roster for possible trade fits and noticed Enes Kanter's minutes. He only plays 19 minutes per game, yet is their 4th leading scorer per game and is their 2nd highest paid player. I think a case can be made that he is one of their best 5 players, easily one of their best. Yet he only plays 19 minutes.
Kanter is their sixth man. I don't see them moving him for a half year rental of Gay. Payne would be the likely target with OKC and with another player or two thrown in to balance salaries. Ideally Morrow and Nick Collison as they are ending contracts and not Abrines and/or Singler who have three years left on their deals.

Joerger knows his stuff. If we had better working parts, it would be a whole lot easier. Dude is piecing it together.
He has a lot better "working piece" at the shooting guard in Garrett Temple, but refuses to start him (as of yet).

The problem is, is that the starting five with KK and Afflalo (recently Ben) keeps putting the Kings in a hole early, that they can't dig out of.

If he refuses to bench KK, for a lack of suitable big man to start, how about starting a very capable Temple at shooting guard and get consistent energy and defense from the opening tip!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Kanter is their sixth man. I don't see them moving him for a half year rental of Gay. Payne would be the likely target with OKC and with another player or two thrown in to balance salaries. Ideally Morrow and Nick Collison as they are ending contracts and not Abrines and/or Singler who have three years left on their deals.
Salary matching in a Gay/Payne deal looks to be extremely difficult. Since Gay makes $13.33M and Payne only makes $2.11M, there's a big gap there. OKC can actually absorb about $7.27M in a trade because they are under the cap, but we run into difficulties in taking back "enough stuff" to get to that value.

A couple of points:
1) Making the trade much much larger (e.g. OKC sending $30M to get $23M back) is probably not feasible. The only players the Thunder have with large salaries are Westbrook (not getting traded in a Rudy deal, obviously) and Kanter. As you've said here, Kanter is likely not on the table either. If he were on the table, then something like Gay+Koufos for Payne+Kanter would work salarywise. But aside from the Thunder putting Kanter on the table in a deal like that, there's really no way to just keep adding salary until it works.

2) Which leaves us with the option of taking back extra contracts. We could take back, say, Payne+Morrow+Collison. That would work (and we could design other trades like that), but we would have to cut two players to do it. I simply don't see two "cuttable" players on this roster, at least not before the trade deadline passes. The only guy that seems close to cuttable is Lawson - and that ONLY if we trade for a (healthy) PG. So unless we create a roster spot with a different trade, we probably can't afford to take back more than one extra player...and even then wouldn't it be preferable, if possible, to include Lawson in the trade?

So what if we try Lawson+Gay for Payne+?? Our guys make $14.13M, so we'd have to get back at least $6.86M, or $4.75M on top of Payne. Kyle Singler makes $4.84M, so he's the perfect size. Also, he backs up the 3 spot which we obviously thin out by trading Gay.

Basically, in a trade like this, Lawson+Gay for Payne+Singler is a match made in heaven salarywise (and maybe the only real good match - Abrines would also work but is more expensive to us). But if we love Payne, we can look at Singler's money as being a small surcharge for Payne's contract, bringing him up to about $7M a year instead of his super cheap actual value. And, on top of that, the Payne Salary Surcharge could be dealt away in a future deal, so it's possible we even get salary-matching value out of it.

He has a lot better "working piece" at the shooting guard in Garrett Temple, but refuses to start him (as of yet).

The problem is, is that the starting five with KK and Afflalo (recently Ben) keeps putting the Kings in a hole early, that they can't dig out of.

If he refuses to bench KK, for a lack of suitable big man to start, how about starting a very capable Temple at shooting guard and get consistent energy and defense from the opening tip!
NO matter if he starts Temple or brings him off the bench, it won't change the fact, that Temple is our only wing player capable of playing good to great defense while knocking down open shots consistently, our second and third best perimeter defenders are DC and Lawson and KK is one of our best defenders, even though he is a big and playing him strictly as a backup for Cuz means we are playing inferior defenders over him. Joergers roster has a lot of holes to patch. It's not his fault, that Vlade assembled this type of roster. He can only coach what's there and he is doing a solid job - not great, but solid. A missed layup in crunchtime (boy oh boy Cuz....), a missed Rudy mid range jumpshot, which he normally makes at 70%, a few mental mistakes, a few forced shots, the fact, that we consistently give up too many long rebounds for open 3's - that's how we lose games.

Every losing year it's the coach, who gets blamed, like we suddenly assembled a playoff caliber roster and are underperforming, because of terrible coaching. Even Malone, who gets glorified beyond believe around here, was called out for bad coaching during his tenure and a lot of people were grinding an axe with him, before he sadly got fired. To some extent I understand the frustration towards Karl, but this year? Our biggest FA signing was Afflalo......maybe we should let that sink in a bit guys.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Salary matching in a Gay/Payne deal looks to be extremely difficult. Since Gay makes $13.33M and Payne only makes $2.11M, there's a big gap there. OKC can actually absorb about $7.27M in a trade because they are under the cap, but we run into difficulties in taking back "enough stuff" to get to that value.

A couple of points:
1) Making the trade much much larger (e.g. OKC sending $30M to get $23M back) is probably not feasible. The only players the Thunder have with large salaries are Westbrook (not getting traded in a Rudy deal, obviously) and Kanter. As you've said here, Kanter is likely not on the table either. If he were on the table, then something like Gay+Koufos for Payne+Kanter would work salarywise. But aside from the Thunder putting Kanter on the table in a deal like that, there's really no way to just keep adding salary until it works.

2) Which leaves us with the option of taking back extra contracts. We could take back, say, Payne+Morrow+Collison. That would work (and we could design other trades like that), but we would have to cut two players to do it. I simply don't see two "cuttable" players on this roster, at least not before the trade deadline passes. The only guy that seems close to cuttable is Lawson - and that ONLY if we trade for a (healthy) PG. So unless we create a roster spot with a different trade, we probably can't afford to take back more than one extra player...and even then wouldn't it be preferable, if possible, to include Lawson in the trade?

So what if we try Lawson+Gay for Payne+?? Our guys make $14.13M, so we'd have to get back at least $6.86M, or $4.75M on top of Payne. Kyle Singler makes $4.84M, so he's the perfect size. Also, he backs up the 3 spot which we obviously thin out by trading Gay.

Basically, in a trade like this, Lawson+Gay for Payne+Singler is a match made in heaven salarywise (and maybe the only real good match - Abrines would also work but is more expensive to us). But if we love Payne, we can look at Singler's money as being a small surcharge for Payne's contract, bringing him up to about $7M a year instead of his super cheap actual value. And, on top of that, the Payne Salary Surcharge could be dealt away in a future deal, so it's possible we even get salary-matching value out of it.
To me the answer is to trade for Payne, Collison and Morrow and then cut Collison and Morrow. OKC would then be free to re-sign them if they want.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Not the point I was making......the point being that Kanter is an important piece and only plays 19 minutes per game. This was in response to Temple only playing 23 min per game and the insinuation that Joerger is dumb for not playing him more. Not a trade proposal

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
To me the answer is to trade for Payne, Collison and Morrow and then cut Collison and Morrow. OKC would then be free to re-sign them if they want.
We can't do that. When you trade, you have to roster spots to fit everybody you bring in. You can't cut the guys you are bringing in until AFTER you've made roster room for them. So we'd have to cut two players (who???) and then at that point, why bother cutting Collison and Morrow?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not the point I was making......the point being that Kanter is an important piece and only plays 19 minutes per game. This was in response to Temple only playing 23 min per game and the insinuation that Joerger is dumb for not playing him more. Not a trade proposal
Ok, I gotcha.

We can't do that. When you trade, you have to roster spots to fit everybody you bring in. You can't cut the guys you are bringing in until AFTER you've made roster room for them. So we'd have to cut two players (who???) and then at that point, why bother cutting Collison and Morrow?
You too.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
why not keep Morrow? he is a shooter, something the Kings lack severely as you know
Because before Capt informed me I figured they could trade for extra players and waive them making it a very simple transaction for the Kings.

I wouldn't be opposed to keeping Morrow (he's a free agent after this season though) but it would mean waiving someone else. Ben? Barnes? With Barnes it would mean eating his salary (and cap figure) for next year.

Let's be clear that at 9-16 Joerger has not been a success so far and for as bad as Karl was he to date was more successful. It's a bottom line business. I'm not enthused now

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Let's be clear that at 9-16 Joerger has not been a success so far and for as bad as Karl was he to date was more successful. It's a bottom line business. I'm not enthused now
No, Karl was not.

Joerger came in saying Step 1 was a culture change. We are competing every night, and he and Boogie are on the same page. That's enough at the moment and a wildly better spot to be in than having the coach and team at each other's throats like last year. This is finally headed toward solid and professional.

True, but at some point we have to admit, that it's not about, who coaches this roster, but about the roster itself.
Of course there seems to be room for improvement with Joerger, but I don't think he is one of the main reasons for our ongoing struggles.

Anyone else concerned about the alarming amount of 3s this team is allowing?

We've allowed 28.8 3pt attempts per game. This is good for 6th worse in the NBA.
We've also allowed 37.9% from 3pt. This is good for 4th worse in the NBA.

This was a problem with Joeger's Grizzlies from last year too.
They were 3rd most in 3pt attempts per game and 9th in 3pt%.

We've allowed 28.8 3pt attempts per game. This is good for 6th worse in the NBA.

This has been an ongoing issue for years now and one of our biggest flaws. Baffling

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

changed coaches, changed lots of personnel = same problem. Time to dig a little deeper on why. It's staring us right in the face.

S

sactownfan

Lets get this one for coach and for moral!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dave doesn't deserve to win because he tries to lose.... this isn't a contender team... and we need every advantage we can get... Dave Joerger is all about hurting every chance we have of winning as far as what the coach can control...

He just blames the players , or claims "bad shooting for every loss .... he straight up said he couldn't do anything to help this team be better...

thats about all i needed to hear. Horrible leadership right there... Cousins can even take that blame some nights when he goes for un godly numbers, and seriously gave it everything. Dave can check his pride and accept his personnal decisions, rotations and just about everything else he does is horrible .

dude12

Hall of Famer
Dave doesn't deserve to win because he tries to lose.... this isn't a contender team... and we need every advantage we can get... Dave Joerger is all about hurting every chance we have of winning as far as what the coach can control...

He just blames the players , or claims "bad shooting for every loss .... he straight up said he couldn't do anything to help this team be better...

thats about all i needed to hear. Horrible leadership right there... Cousins can even take that blame some nights when he goes for un godly numbers, and seriously gave it everything. Dave can check his pride and accept his personnal decisions, rotations and just about everything else he does is horrible .
You don't understand.