[Game] Kings vs. 76ers 10PM ET 7PM PT

Starting to get there too. Which sucks, because I know the second we trade Cousins, he's going to kill it. But it's been 6 years now and for whatever reason you want to pick, it hasn't worked out. How long do you wait? What's even the solution now to putting a winner around Cousins? Mainly the organization's fault, but some blame has to be put on him too. You can talk about Karl's faults all you want (which there are plenty), but this roster is a clunky fit around his talents. Rudy-Rondo-Cuz is too much ball-dominance. Cuz-Koufos has been bad in the post. WCS-Cuz looked good, but we still really haven't seen enough of it to really know. DC forgot how to play off-ball and has been a horrid fit with Rondo. Ben gets left with the scraps. There's no strong wing defender.

I just don't know what solution is.
No one is going to deny that once Cuz gets out of here, he's a top 10 player.

I honestly don't want to give up a player of his caliber, but I don't think the Kings have surrounded him with enough in order to be successful the next few years. When he finally has a decent roster, he has a coach who wants to do the opposite of things.

I don't think we can win with Cousins here. There are plenty of reasons for this, but I just don't think we can anymore, and it's not nearly 1/2 his fault.
The player personnel is just really difficult to work with imo. This is why I've given Karl some slack.

The reason why we've been losing games as of late, is honestly the lack of effort. Not coaching, but just the team giving up and not trying.

Hitting a reset could be the best thing for this team and everyone involved.

Trade Cousins for Vucevic+Fournier+Hezonja? Or maybe trade him for Ben Simmons?
Trade Rudy for Hassan Whiteside and Justise Winslow? Or trade him for Dennis Schroder and Thabo Sefolosha.
Trade Rondo for a future 1st from NYK. Or trade him for Jon Leuer

Is it because everyone is playing in an offense that they know is not working?
The offense may not be great, but if they are in a position to be in the playoffs, and hand games away due to unforced turnovers and poor shot selection, then that doesn't hold water. Is it great? No. It's actually pretty poor, but it is still good enough to be close to .500 and in a playoff spot if smarter decisions were made.

Imagine doing something that you know is not going to work everyday because your boss keeps insisting.
If by "working" = winning enough to compete in the postseason, then I would say at some level it is working.

Remember, its not only Cousins that is lacking that hunger and energy lately.
Correct, but many of DMC's on-court issues have related to his frustration with losing, so that argument isn't holding water any more.

No one is going to deny that once Cuz gets out of here, he's a top 10 player.

I honestly don't want to give up a player of his caliber, but I don't think the Kings have surrounded him with enough in order to be successful the next few years. When he finally has a decent roster, he has a coach who wants to do the opposite of things.

I don't think we can win with Cousins here. There are plenty of reasons for this, but I just don't think we can anymore, and it's not nearly 1/2 his fault.
The player personnel is just really difficult to work with imo. This is why I've given Karl some slack.

The reason why we've been losing games as of late, is honestly the lack of effort. Not coaching, but just the team giving up and not trying.

Hitting a reset could be the best thing for this team and everyone involved.

Trade Cousins for Vucevic+Fournier+Hezonja? Or maybe trade him for Ben Simmons?
Trade Rudy for Hassan Whiteside and Justise Winslow? Or trade him for Dennis Schroder and Thabo Sefolosha.
Trade Rondo for a future 1st from NYK. Or trade him for Jon Leuer
Those are extremely optimistic hauls, but that'd be the idea

People seem to want to snap their fingers and *poof* a shiny new contender appears, but its unlikely.

make the playoffs, get the monkey off your back, a little exposure. your players gain trade value as they are no longer members of the sad sack Kings. people listen more to the coach, The offseason plans involve guys looking ahead and thinking time to take the next step. You give Cuz status, and Rajon regains status, and maybe you recriut somebody. But none of that stuff is possible for a 20-something win team.
Plenty of examples of eastern conference team over the last 10 years slipping into the playoffs and never building on it, because despite making the playoffs in a weak conference they didn't have the foundational talent to take the next step. It sounds nice but I think GM know who Rudy is just like they know who Joe Johnson is, regardless of their role on a mediocre playoff team. The playoffs may hold some deeper value for Kings fans but the rest of the league isn't going to fooled.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Plenty of examples of eastern conference team over the last 10 years slipping into the playoffs in the east and never built on it because despite making the playoffs in a weak conference they didn't have the foundational talent to take the next step. It sounds nice but I think GM know who Rudy is just like they know who Joe Johnson is, regardless of their role on a mediocre playoff team. The playoffs may hold some deeper value for Kings fans but the rest of the league isn't going to fooled.
No samples of them never going further with a player of Cousins' talent.

Seriously, the East's problem forever has been a lack of elite players, and ESPECIALLY lack of elite bigs.

We're not trying towin a title here this year. We're trying to build a distant foundation for contention.

The offense may not be great, but if they are in a position to be in the playoffs, and hand games away due to unforced turnovers and poor shot selection, then that doesn't hold water. Is it great? No. It's actually pretty poor, but it is still good enough to be close to .500 and in a playoff spot if smarter decisions were made.

If by "working" = winning enough to compete in the postseason, then I would say at some level it is working.

Correct, but many of DMC's on-court issues have related to his frustration with losing, so that argument isn't holding water any more.

You are speaking as if this offense has proven to work when in reality it hasn't worked at all for this group of players. Are they taking bad shots because the offense isn't smooth or are they just insisting on taking bad shots by passing up great shots that they got from running Karl's offense..

Just got back from the game and boy was that a lousy all around effort. Im not a big fan of how little the players care about defense. We need players that can play defense consistently.

I'm so happy we got WCS but I'd love another wing player thats job is to, every game, hustle on the defensive end.

No way we should get rid of cuz even if crap is looking bad. We're basically a perimeter defender/average scorer and a good coach away from relevancy

No samples of them never going further with a player of Cousins' talent.

Seriously, the East's problem forever has been a lack of elite players, and ESPECIALLY lack of elite bigs.

We're not trying towin a title here this year. We're trying to build a distant foundation for contention.
McGrady's Magic teams are the only example I can think of. Top 10 young talent on a team that was never much better then .500. It's hard to rebuild this poorly with Cousins as a centerpiece but we managed to do it.

Last edited:
You are speaking as if this offense has proven to work when in reality it hasn't worked at all for this group of players. Are they taking bad shots because the offense isn't smooth or are they just insisting on taking bad shots by passing up great shots that they got from running Karl's offense..
I am not a fan of Karl and this team's strategy on both sides of the court, but the fact remains this team has been competitive, hasn't had many blowouts, and were in a position to make a move into the post-season. This team's goal is the post-season, so if they are right there, then I can't say its a sinking ship.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
HOFers are winners
Nitpick: Mitch Richmond and Sarunas Marciulonis were both elected to the Hall of Fame in 2014, as players. What did either of them ever win? For that matter, what did Chris Mullin ever win? Dude dined out on his Dream Team status for the entire second half of his career.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Let me see if I've got this straight...

We're leading the league in "pace" and George Karl still doesn't think we're running enough? Now he's complaining about a lack of defenders on the roster when he barely played Cauley-Stein when he was healthy, he refused to play Eric Moreland under any circumstances, and he's frequently got Belinelli and Collison playing the whole 4th quarter in a 3 guard lineup while Ben rides the bench?

In my opinion George Karl wouldn't even know a good defender if they came up and hit him in the face. If he really thinks we're having trouble getting stops (which, I mean, hallelujah he can at least see that much 32 games into the season) maybe he should start putting our better defenders out on the floor when the game is on the line? Perception is reality, I believe that, so I'm not going to try to convince anyone that we don't need to trade Cousins and blow it up right now. If you want to go nuclear, go ahead. The last week more than warrants it. I'm just going to say that the signs were there from the beginning of the season that this team and George Karl were not a good fit. And I don't give a damn about his reputation, I'm a Kings fan. I care about what's best for this team. And what's best for this team is to hire Tom Thibodeau, fire George Karl (in that order), and see if this season is still salvageable.