[Game] Kings vs. 76ers 10PM ET 7PM PT

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I really don't understand how you can criticize a poster calling them quitters. DMC has clearly quit this season. He's stopped playing defense. He's stopped rebounding. He gets lit up almost on a nightly basis the past couple of weeks. He doesn't get back in transition and run the floor. His body language is horrible again. He's clearly checked out. He isn't the only one, but when somebody calls a spade a spade, why would you debate this?
Because its not true?

Perception has suddenly bore very little relation to reality for Kings fans, and they have started just making up stories to comfort themselves and explain the world, like ancients looking up at the sun and saying ooh!, big fireball being pulled by a chariot!

With today, tomorrow, and then the weekend I'm going to walk through whatever I have time for in a few major analytical threads for people still functioning above mob level to pick over, but once people become committed to a narrative, they at a certain point quit caring whether its actually true or not.

Because its not true?
So you're assertion is that laziness and apathy doesn't exist? Or that those are not indications of quitting?

Perception has suddenly bore very little relation to reality for Kings fans, and they have started just making up stories to comfort themselves and explain the world, like ancients looking up at the sun and saying ooh!, big fireball being pulled by a chariot!
So you are saying that those things are not happening, that DMC pushes hard in transition like earlier this year, that he's hustling for position for rebounds, that he's not getting lit up by opposition putting in the effort, and that his attitude is not dejected? Are you sure it is everybody else that has blinders on what is going on?

With today, tomorrow, and then the weekend I'm going to walk through whatever I have time for in a few major analytical threads for people still functioning above mob level to pick over, but once people become committed to a narrative, they at a certain point quit caring whether its actually true or not.
Look up all the advanced stats you want, but his rebounding has suffered, his defense has suffered, and there are no stats for attitude, effort, hustle, energy, and will. We are not seeing the same DMC that we saw before. Just because you may not want to admit that players have quit already doesn't make it false. They've even come out and admitted it outright by some of their recent comments.

Saying he's quit is just absurd.
What else is there to describe the dejected aura around this team? Players are NOT putting in effort outside of a few, they aren't showing any heart or passion, and are playing lazy, mistake-laden basketball. How would you describe this if not for checking out?

Maybe they are tuning out Karl. Maybe they have quit on Vlade. Maybe others are fed up with Cousins. I'm not sure, but one thing is true: there is no competitive spirit in this team right now outside of Casspi, Acy, and Curry.

Vlade has a date in mind I suspect when either a trade for a better wing defender (or two) or a coaching change (or both). With the trade he made with Philly he needs to go all in for this season and the next.

I could go for Thibs as Coach and Luol Deng, Tony Allen, Patrick Beverly, PJ Tucker, Khris Middleton or Avery Bradley as the wing defender. Add Cousins and the current core and you have the makings of a pretty good team.

Bricklayer

So you're assertion is that laziness and apathy doesn't exist? Or that those are not indications of quitting?

So you are saying that those things are not happening, that DMC pushes hard in transition like earlier this year, that he's hustling for position for rebounds, that he's not getting lit up by opposition putting in the effort, and that his attitude is not dejected? Are you sure it is everybody else that has blinders on what is going on?

Look up all the advanced stats you want, but his rebounding has suffered, his defense has suffered, and there are no stats for attitude, effort, hustle, energy, and will. We are not seeing the same DMC that we saw before. Just because you may not want to admit that players have quit already doesn't make it false. They've even come out and admitted it outright by some of their recent comments.

No, I would say, and am shortly going to prove, the "Cuz isn't playing defense" is largely a fan invention to describe something that doesn't exist. He's one of the most effective defenders in the league. People are even misunderstanding the sources of some big nights of late. That one I have already been tracking and am sure of.

Rebounding is still being calculated. There is no doubt Cuz is down, but from the beginning there was an artificial impediment -- his lack of o-rebounding was created by Karl's big man at the 3pt line scheme. There are also defensive responsiblities to be accounted for -- Karl wants his centers to come out more rather than lurk back in the paint, pick and roll defenses, etc.. And then there are two unusually active rebounders in the starting lineup with him now in Casspi and Rondo. My suspicion is there is some falloff, but when outside factors are accounted for closer perhaps to 1 rebound a game than 3.

Cousins not pushing hard in transition is a GOOD thing. It was never appropriate for a big center anyway. And it is organized. I may not have time to make that thread, but Cuz's use up top follows a pattern that is clearly directed from the sideline. Its not 'lazy". Its scheme, to keep the rim clear for guards, to have a trailing shooter to walk into threes, and to give Cuz a headstart to get back and protect the rim in transition.

Finally, of late the "big at the 3pt line" thing has become LESS common, not more. Perhaps that's rebellion against the coach, but if it is we have heard nothing of it, and I suspect its a negotiation not a revolt. We're seeing more of inside Cousins than we saw in the first month, not less, good thing too as the 3pt shooting has been exposed as a gimmick.

P.S. the Golden State expulsion has been blow wildly out of proportion as some sort of general indicator of anything. The very game before Cousins was the ONLY guy who showed up against Portland, and in fact when everybody else collapsed tried to hero the game out. This past game he ruggedly slammed inside and took a lot of abuse without much complaint at all. I was completely nonplussed that there could be a "checked out" narrative surrounding such a workmanlike game, which btw included several big defensive plays down the stretch.

In order to have an intelligent discussion, you have to listen to what the other person is saying. I defy you to find one post where I said we should trade Cousins for pennies on the dollar. Your words not mine. You must like putting words in someone mouth, or taking what they say to the extreme. At the moment, I'm not emotional at all, and that's the problem. I waited to cool down, and it didn't work. My crap meter had reached it's limit. Believe me, I'm thinking perfectly straight. I didn't even say we should trade Cousins, although I'd certainly entertain the right deal. What I said was, that I was done defending his antics. The other night he took the easy way out. Even the Warrior announcers echoed what I was thinking, that Cousins didn't want to sit on the bench for another quarter, and maybe he was tired of getting outplayed by Bogut once again. So he quit! As I said, I can forgive a lot of things, but quitting isn't one of them. If you can, fine! I quit playing with people that owned the ball, and threatened to take it home with them if they didn't get their way.

I'll say it again, when you start calling the people that disagree with you names, you become a person I have no desire to discuss anything with. When you do that, your the one that's not thinking straight and is emotional. I've always respected what you've had to say, despite not always agreeing with you. No one is right all the time. Especially me. And no one wants to be wrong. You see I understand where your coming from. I was right there with you. I've changed my mind on principle, not talent, because principle is more important to me. That's me, and I don't expect everyone to jump on my bandwagon. I don't expect you to change your mind, nor do I care. I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I'm stating how I feel about the situation. Just don't say I'm not a loyal fan because of what I think. I've been with this team from the beginning. I was a season ticket season holder for many years. I don't question your loyalty, so don't question mine.
To be fair, you're right. I didn't read your post entirely, as I was tired of the anti-Cuz rhetoric, and my post shouldn't have been aimed at you. Although I do stand by my post in response to the vast majority of other posters who wants to trade Cuz. Apologies, when you're wrong, you're wrong. Hands up.

J

JoseCousins

No, I would say, and am shortly going to prove, the "Cuz isn't playing defense" is largely a fan invention to describe something that doesn't exist. He's one of the most effective defenders in the league. People are even misunderstanding the sources of some big nights of late. That one I have already been tracking and am sure of.

Rebounding is still being calculated. There is no doubt Cuz is down, but from the beginning there was an artificial impediment -- his lack of o-rebounding was created by Karl's big man at the 3pt line scheme. There are also defensive responsiblities to be accounted for -- Karl wants his centers to come out more rather than lurk back in the paint, pick and roll defenses, etc.. And then there are two unusually active rebounders in the starting lineup with him now in Casspi and Rondo. My suspicion is there is some falloff, but when outside factors are accounted for closer perhaps to 1 rebound a game than 3.

Cousins not pushing hard in transition is a GOOD thing. It was never appropriate for a big center anyway. And it is organized. I may not have time to make that thread, but Cuz's use up top follows a pattern that is clearly directed from the sideline. Its not 'lazy". Its scheme, to keep the rim clear for guards, to have a trailing shooter to walk into threes, and to give Cuz a headstart to get back and protect the rim in transition.

Finally, of late the "big at the 3pt line" thing has become LESS common, not more. Perhaps that's rebellion against the coach, but if it is we have heard nothing of it, and I suspect its a negotiation not a revolt. We're seeing more of inside Cousins than we saw in the first month, not less, good thing too as the 3pt shooting has been exposed as a gimmick.

P.S. the Golden State expulsion has been blow wildly out of proportion as some sort of general indicator of anything. The very game before Cousins was the ONLY guy who showed up against Portland, and in fact when everybody else collapsed tried to hero the game out. This past game he ruggedly slammed inside and took a lot of abuse without much complaint at all. I was completely nonplussed that there could be a "checked out" narrative surrounding such a workmanlike game, which btw included several big defensive plays down the stretch.
Hire another coach for cuz to chew up. No thanks. I'm tired of his immaturity on the court. Sorry can't root for a guy that complains every call and doesn't run back to defend. Happens every game. Coach can't change that. Cuz needs to buy some big boy pants

Bricklayer

Hire another coach for cuz to chew up. No thanks. I'm tired of his immaturity on the court. Sorry can't root for a guy that complains every call and doesn't run back to defend. Happens every game. Coach can't change that. Cuz needs to buy some big boy pants
Good lord.

At least your post exposes a big part of the problem -- people are imparting a distaste for Cousins relationship with the refs into every bit of "analysis".

The "not running back" trope is blown wildly out of proportion. Yes he does run back, so much so that he makes an absolutely massive difference for our defense. People keep on trying to talk around that, but Boogie IS our defense. It doesn't mean that there aren't a few possessions a game he should be back quicker, but it sure in the hell means that over the course of the game he is back there and anchoring an otherwise wildly incompetent defensive crew night after night. I am reminded of nothing so much as the internet meme of the fat guy in his underwear in the basement pointing out a mole on a supermodel and saying "would not bang!" Cousins has warts, but his overall defensive impact is one of the biggest in the league.

J

JoseCousins

Good lord.

At least your post exposes a big part of the problem -- people are imparting a distaste for Cousins relationship with the refs into every bit of "analysis".

The "not running back" trope is blown wildly out of proportion. Yes he does run back, so much so that he makes an absolutely massive difference for our defense. People keep on trying to talk around that, but Boogie IS our defense. It doesn't mean that there aren't a few possessions a game he should be back quicker, but it sure in the hell means that over the course of the game he is back there and anchoring an otherwise wildly incompetent defensive crew night after night. I am reminded of nothing so much as the internet meme of the fat guy in his underwear in the basement pointing out a mole on a supermodel and saying "would not bang!" Cousins has warts, but his overall defensive impact is one of the biggest in the league.
Holy Jesus and pumpkin pie!
You are right he has a great attitude...smh. I didn't say he had lousy defense. I said his attitude is lousy and it is.

Last edited by a moderator: