[Game] Kings vs. 76ers 10PM ET 7PM PT

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I couldn't read more than the last couple pages.

It's amazing how ****ing rock-dumb a lot of Kings fans are. Best fans in the league my f**king ass, they have a loyal superstar who is being misused and want to trade him. Idiocy knows no bounds.
When people have no intelligent response, they start calling other people names. It shows a lack of class, and a lack of intelligent argument. I happen to be a loyal fan, and I'm done with Cousins. Doesn't mean I won't root for him to be successful, because if he is, the the Kings might be. But I'm done circling the wagons in his defense. When players throw lazy passes as they come across the halfcourt line that get intercepted, that has nothing to do with the pace of the game, or Karl's system. That has to do with lack of focus and stupidity. When your in the post and you get tripled teamed and you decide to bully your way through three defenders, throw up a desperate shot, and not get the foul called, and then stand and argue with the ref while your man is running the floor for an easy basket, that has nothing to do with Karl or his system. That has to do with selfishness and caring only about yourself.

Is that who you want as your leader? Really! Is that the example you want from you leader? Vlade was a leader. Vlade was the guy that put out fires, not start them. I'm no longer talking about points on the board. Cousins talent isn't in question, his character is. The question that needs answering is, is Cousins creating a climate for winning, or is he creating a climate of tension and unrest. If you've ever played with someone like him, the first thing that comes to mind, is what the hell are you doing. Were trying to win a game here. After a while, it wears on you. Look, nothing would make me happier than for Cousins to grow up and see the light. But I've been saying that for the last five years. If he wants to remain stupid, fine. But I'm no longer going to join him. I won't root against him because that would be rooting against the team. I'm a team guy, not a Cousins guy. I'll decide to become more of a Cousins guy when he decides he wants to be part of the team. Until then, I wish him all the luck in the world. But don't say I'm not a fan. That's petty and beneath you.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Hah! How did I manage to keep overlooking Divac? He's, like, the most obvious counterexample for when people bleat about how they expect the best player to be the leader. Divac is almost universally recognized as a leader, and he wasn't the best player on any team he ever played for: not the gd lakers, not the Hornets, not us, not SNT.

Our best player not being a leader is not a problem. It's unfortunate, but it's not, inherently, a problem. A far bigger problem is that we don't have anyone else stepping into the void otherwise.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
... But don't say I'm not a fan. That's petty and beneath you.
I know that you weren't talking to me. And I'm not really talking to you. But I would like to use your post as a platform to make a general comment: you ("Royal 'you'") would be surprised by what I don't consider to be beneath me. :eek:

I'm reminded of a favored Heinlein quote: Don't try to appeal to a man's better nature; he may not have one.

When people have no intelligent response, they start calling other people names. It shows a lack of class, and a lack of intelligent argument. I happen to be a loyal fan, and I'm done with Cousins. Doesn't mean I won't root for him to be successful, because if he is, the the Kings might be. But I'm done circling the wagons in his defense. When players throw lazy passes as they come across the halfcourt line that get intercepted, that has nothing to do with the pace of the game, or Karl's system. That has to do with lack of focus and stupidity. When your in the post and you get tripled teamed and you decide to bully your way through three defenders, throw up a desperate shot, and not get the foul called, and then stand and argue with the ref while your man is running the floor for an easy basket, that has nothing to do with Karl or his system. That has to do with selfishness and caring only about yourself.

Is that who you want as your leader? Really! Is that the example you want from you leader? Vlade was a leader. Vlade was the guy that put out fires, not start them. I'm no longer talking about points on the board. Cousins talent isn't in question, his character is. The question that needs answering is, is Cousins creating a climate for winning, or is he creating a climate of tension and unrest. If you've ever played with someone like him, the first thing that comes to mind, is what the hell are you doing. Were trying to win a game here. After a while, it wears on you. Look, nothing would make me happier than for Cousins to grow up and see the light. But I've been saying that for the last five years. If he wants to remain stupid, fine. But I'm no longer going to join him. I won't root against him because that would be rooting against the team. I'm a team guy, not a Cousins guy. I'll decide to become more of a Cousins guy when he decides he wants to be part of the team. Until then, I wish him all the luck in the world. But don't say I'm not a fan. That's petty and beneath you.
The history of the league is littered with talented players with "questionable" characters who still won. You're pissed off, and emotional, and not thinking straight. It's that simple.

If you think trading Cousins for pennies on the dollar is the answer, then nothing I say will convince you otherwise. Good luck waiting for another guy of Cousins calibre to come around and be so invested in Sacramento as he is.

As if it needed to be repeated, maybe take a look at his time here in Sacramento. Dysfunction x10. This year has been no better. It's easy to say Cuz is the common denominator. That's the lazy answer. You're smart enough to look past that. Look at literally every year he's played for us. This guy is loyal to a f**king fault. He should have demanded a trade two years ago if he was the same as any of the other divas we have the modern game. Cuz is a different breed and he actually loves this city! I think the fans are as toxic as the team. Being "done" with the most talented player in our history when he has been nothing but loyal!

All this BS hyperbole about him getting coaches fired is just that. We're not the national media, we actually know what happened. All those idiots (bar Malone) deserved to be canned. Is Cuz perfect? Obviously not, but once again, Kings fans pick on completely the wrong person for our failures. It's f**king insane to me.

We're bad, who is the problem? Ohh I know! The most talented player in our history! Not the coaches who misuse him, not the other guys on the team who clearly don't give a ****! I'm almost done with this team, and it's as much to do with the fans as it is with the franchise. Maybe both have poisoned each other.

Baja it's a joke for you to suggest I'm "calling names" because I don't have an argument. I'd f**king love for someone here to have a good argument for trading Cuz beyond what essentially boils down to "I'm a whiny b**ch who doesn't look complaining/technicals/insert short-sighted, BS here".

If Cuz gets traded, then Kings fans absolutely deserve what they get, which will be another 15 years of the lottery while they're waiting for the next Cuz to come around. And when he does, I guarantee he won't be nearly as committed to this city as Boogie is.

The history of the league is littered with talented players with "questionable" characters who still won. You're pissed off, and emotional, and not thinking straight. It's that simple.

If you think trading Cousins for pennies on the dollar is the answer, then nothing I say will convince you otherwise. Good luck waiting for another guy of Cousins calibre to come around and be so invested in Sacramento as he is.

As if it needed to be repeated, maybe take a look at his time here in Sacramento. Dysfunction x10. This year has been no better. It's easy to say Cuz is the common denominator. That's the lazy answer. You're smart enough to look past that. Look at literally every year he's played for us. This guy is loyal to a f**king fault. He should have demanded a trade two years ago if he was the same as any of the other divas we have the modern game. Cuz is a different breed and he actually loves this city! I think the fans are as toxic as the team. Being "done" with the most talented player in our history when he has been nothing but loyal!

All this BS hyperbole about him getting coaches fired is just that. We're not the national media, we actually know what happened. All those idiots (bar Malone) deserved to be canned. Is Cuz perfect? Obviously not, but once again, Kings fans pick on completely the wrong person for our failures. It's f**king insane to me.

We're bad, who is the problem? Ohh I know! The most talented player in our history! Not the coaches who misuse him, not the other guys on the team who clearly don't give a ****! I'm almost done with this team, and it's as much to do with the fans as it is with the franchise. Maybe both have poisoned each other.

Baja it's a joke for you to suggest I'm "calling names" because I don't have an argument. I'd f**king love for someone here to have a good argument for trading Cuz beyond what essentially boils down to "I'm a whiny b**ch who doesn't look complaining/technicals/insert short-sighted, BS here".

If Cuz gets traded, then Kings fans absolutely deserve what they get, which will be another 15 years of the lottery while they're waiting for the next Cuz to come around. And when he does, I guarantee he won't be nearly as committed to this city as Boogie is.
Ben Simmons is actually a great caliber prospect.

He has future star written all over him

I think Magic would love to trade Vucevic for Cousins too

If we trade Cuz, it's not the end of the world. We can get fair value for him.

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer

::starts slow clap::

Excellent post.

You have a very charitable working definition of "fair value."
Nikola Vucevic
7'0 260lb 25yearold averaging:
31minutes 17.3pts 8.7rebs 2.8asts 1blk 1.7tos
while shooting 53% from the field is pretty damn good.

Pair it up with:

Evan Fournier
6'7 205lbs 23yearold averaging:
32minutes 14.6pts 3.2 rebs 2.6asts 1.3stl 1.4tos
while shooting 44% from the field and 39% from 3pt land.

Both of these guys along with Mario Hezonja would be fair trade for Cousins*

Last edited:
K

KingMilz

Pair it up with:

Both of these guys would be fair value for Cousins.
The Magic since Dwight have said they only want high character guys and that team is currently thriving and every single rotation piece has a chance to keep getting better. Vuc is a All Star right now.

We are a proven lottery team with cousins and on our way yo a disgraceful quit job.

I wont be sorry when he demands a trade and dont see how we could get worse.

Im a kings fan who dumped the lakers in 1999 and want this changed!.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member

Pair it up with:

Both of these guys would be fair value for Cousins.
One of those guys appears to be putting up those numbers against college players, and can't be acquired in the same deal as the other guy. The other guy is not fair value for the guy we have.

Look, I've said this before already: I don't like DeMarcus Cousins. If I actually believed that we could get fair value for Cousins, I would be on board with trading him. But I don't believe that we can get fair value for Cousins. I don't really consider your incredibly optimistic pipe dream (What if Orlando wins the #1 pick in the draft and wants to trade it and their best player for Cousins?) to be worthy of contemplation. Orlando can't put together a package with any three of the players they actually have that I would take for Cousins, and I won't indulge in "if they win the lottery" sorts of hypotheticals.

EDIT - I just noticed that you were probably talking about Fournier, not Simmons. I'll still pass.

One of those guys appears to be putting up those numbers against college players, and can't be acquired in the same deal as the other guy. The other guy is not fair value for the guy we have.

Look, I've said this before already: I don't like DeMarcus Cousins. If I actually believed that we could get fair value for Cousins, I would be on board with trading him. But I don't believe that we can get fair value for Cousins. I don't really consider your incredibly optimistic pipe dream (What if Orlando wins the #1 pick in the draft and wants to trade it and their best player for Cousins?) to be worthy of contemplation. Orlando can't put together a package with any three of the players they actually have that I would take for Cousins, and I won't indulge in "if they win the lottery" sorts of hypotheticals.
no...the other guy is Evan Fournier lol.

I was suggesting a trade of Cousins for Vucevic+Fournier+Hezonja.

I think that's an equal trade. The poster said there aren't many good/equal trades we could get back for Cousins.

I was suggesting that there is. Orlando has been interested in him before, I don't see why their interests would be stop.. they've improved this season, but they have an identity crisis with who their franchise player is.

Glenn

Hall of Famer

Look, I've said this before already: I don't like DeMarcus Cousins. If I actually believed that we could get fair value for Cousins, I would be on board with trading him. But I don't believe that we can get fair value for Cousins. I don't really cornsider your incredibly optimistic pipe dream (What if Orlando wins the #1 pick in the draft and wants to trade it and their best player for Cousins?) to be worthy of contemplation. Orlando can't put together a package with any three of the players they actually have that I would take for Cousins, and I won't indulge in "if they win the lottery" sorts of hypotheticals.

EDIT - I just noticed that you were probably talking about Fournier, not Simmons. I'll still pass.
This is a real world problem.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Hah! How did I manage to keep overlooking Divac? He's, like, the most obvious counterexample for when people bleat about how they expect the best player to be the leader. Divac is almost universally recognized as a leader, and he wasn't the best player on any team he ever played for: not the gd lakers, not the Hornets, not us, not SNT.

Our best player not being a leader is not a problem. It's unfortunate, but it's not, inherently, a problem. A far bigger problem is that we don't have anyone else stepping into the void otherwise.
I totally agree! Having our best player not be the leader in and of itself isn't the problem. But having said player say he's the leader and trying to act like one, can be a problem, especially when a lot of fans, and the media adhere to the idea. In many ways, it's not Cousins fault. Maybe he never asked to be the leader. Maybe he's been force into that role by popular opinion. We as fans tried our best to make Webber the leader of the team, but he wasn't, and as you said, that vacuum was filled by Vlade.

Right now, it might be hard for someone else to step up and take on that role. The player that leaps out at me is Rondo, who seems like a natural born leader. Who knows what conflict that might cause? Or not. Frankly, I don't know.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

In order to have an intelligent discussion, you have to listen to what the other person is saying. I defy you to find one post where I said we should trade Cousins for pennies on the dollar. Your words not mine. You must like putting words in someone mouth, or taking what they say to the extreme. At the moment, I'm not emotional at all, and that's the problem. I waited to cool down, and it didn't work. My crap meter had reached it's limit. Believe me, I'm thinking perfectly straight. I didn't even say we should trade Cousins, although I'd certainly entertain the right deal. What I said was, that I was done defending his antics. The other night he took the easy way out. Even the Warrior announcers echoed what I was thinking, that Cousins didn't want to sit on the bench for another quarter, and maybe he was tired of getting outplayed by Bogut once again. So he quit! As I said, I can forgive a lot of things, but quitting isn't one of them. If you can, fine! I quit playing with people that owned the ball, and threatened to take it home with them if they didn't get their way.

I'll say it again, when you start calling the people that disagree with you names, you become a person I have no desire to discuss anything with. When you do that, your the one that's not thinking straight and is emotional. I've always respected what you've had to say, despite not always agreeing with you. No one is right all the time. Especially me. And no one wants to be wrong. You see I understand where your coming from. I was right there with you. I've changed my mind on principle, not talent, because principle is more important to me. That's me, and I don't expect everyone to jump on my bandwagon. I don't expect you to change your mind, nor do I care. I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I'm stating how I feel about the situation. Just don't say I'm not a loyal fan because of what I think. I've been with this team from the beginning. I was a season ticket season holder for many years. I don't question your loyalty, so don't question mine.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Ben Simmons is actually a great caliber prospect.

He has future star written all over him

I think Magic would love to trade Vucevic for Cousins too

If we trade Cuz, it's not the end of the world. We can get fair value for him.
This isn't a fair shot, but right now in the NBA, there are 21 teams with a better record than the Kings, and somehow, they managed to do that without Cousins on their team. The idea that we can't become better without Cousins isn't logical. Cousins job isn't to make us better, it's to make us competitors for a championship. Would I prefer to win with Cousins? A couple of weeks ago I would have said yes. But now, I don't see it happening, and the one common denominator for the last five years is Cousins. I agree, it's not all his fault, but maybe, just maybe, he's not the answer, but the problem. It's not easy playing next to a volcano wondering when it's going to go off again.

Entity

Hall of Famer
This isn't a fair shot, but right now in the NBA, there are 21 teams with a better record than the Kings, and somehow, they managed to do that without Cousins on their team. The idea that we can't become better without Cousins isn't logical. Cousins job isn't to make us better, it's to make us competitors for a championship. Would I prefer to win with Cousins? A couple of weeks ago I would have said yes. But now, I don't see it happening, and the one common denominator for the last five years is Cousins. I agree, it's not all his fault, but maybe, just maybe, he's not the answer, but the problem. It's not easy playing next to a volcano wondering when it's going to go off again.
What about the 5 years prior?

bajaden

Hall of Famer

The problem with term "fair value"is that it's subjective. What's fair value to one person may not be fair value to another. There is always going to be someone unhappy. There are people still unhappy about the Webber trade, when in fact, his career was basically over because of his knee injury. To most people we were trading his memory, not the broken player. But it was painful regardless. To be honest, I'm not sure what I would consider a fair deal, and I wouldn't trade him unless I was convinced of such. I certainly wouldn't be in a rush. Deals done in haste are usually bad deals.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
If that were remotely true then when Cousins left the team would swell up, unburdened by having to play with one of those nasty superstars, and freely fly through the air singing the Sound of Music.

They have not. They have been godawful.

We've entered a new "Magic Cuz" era where fanmobs are looking to burn somebody at the stake, and all of the franchise's woes are going to be magically laid at the feet of Cousins, but you have to bend over backward and tie yourself into a know explaining how come the guy supposedly making us lose has always been so absolutely key to making us win.

Quick quiz for fans who have gotten so frustrated they have resorted to turning off their reasoning centers:

If DeMarcus Cousins was the starting center for the Bulls, instead of Pau Gasol, would the Bulls be 12-20? What about Memphis? If he had gone to the Spurs instead of LMA, would they be 12-20? If Miami had him instead of Whiteside would they be 12-20?

I would like to humbly submit -- because everything I do is humble -- that the correct answer to those queries, and more like them, is "no ****ing way!"

I would also like to submit that once you realize that the answer is "no ****ing way!" that you can return to earth where we have a center perfectly able to win, and win at high levels, given a reasonable roster and coaching structure around him.

Well the jury is in. Our worst nightmare is realized. How could they lose? A lot of pissed off people calling for heads to roll called into Grant's show today. Very entertaining, with lots of morons, but Grant had a lot of patience. It wasn't any one player's fault and certainly not Demarcus Cousins like some callers want to say. It was a total team failure.

My question is, when is it okay to boo your team? There were boos last night three times and especially at the end of the game. My take is I will not boo MY team. I will not blindly support them, but I will never boo them. I think real fans do not boo their team in public. Yes, ***** all the way to your car. Call into Grant or any radio show and voice your opinion--I'm fine with that. But I will never give the opposing team the satisfaction of beating us and enjoying the fans boo their own team. That's not how a real fan acts and I don't care how much your ticket costs. Just my opinion.

I really don't understand how you can criticize a poster calling them quitters. DMC has clearly quit this season. He's stopped playing defense. He's stopped rebounding. He gets lit up almost on a nightly basis the past couple of weeks. He doesn't get back in transition and run the floor. His body language is horrible again. He's clearly checked out. He isn't the only one, but when somebody calls a spade a spade, why would you debate this?

dude12

Hall of Famer
I really don't understand how you can criticize a poster calling them quitters. DMC has clearly quit this season. He's stopped playing defense. He's stopped rebounding. He gets lit up almost on a nightly basis the past couple of weeks. He doesn't get back in transition and run the floor. His body language is horrible again. He's clearly checked out. He isn't the only one, but when somebody calls a spade a spade, why would you debate this?
Saying he's quit is just absurd.

I would also like to submit that once you realize that the answer is "no ****ing way!" that you can return to earth where we have a center perfectly able to win, and win at high levels, given a reasonable roster and coaching structure around him.
Yet this, too, sounds like magical thinking. Where does this "reasonable roster" come from? They already pushed all their chips in over the summer. And just in another thread you, Brick, were saying it's impossible to fire Karl at this point. I'm not quite in the "trade Cousins" camp yet, but I certainly understand it based on the fact his trade value might be the only ticket left to this team turning things around.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Yet this, too, sounds like magical thinking. Where does this "reasonable roster" come from? They already pushed all their chips in over the summer. And just in another thread you, Brick, were saying it's impossible to fire Karl at this point. I'm not quite in the "trade Cousins" camp yet, but I certainly understand it based on the fact his trade value might be the only ticket left to this team turning things around.
I'm not convinced the reasonable roster is not already here, or large chunks of it.

The reasonable coach is a bigger issue.