Kings Pre-draft Workouts

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Let me just point out that the post that I specifically referred to, which brought negativity to new heights, speculated that we had been blacklisted because WCS didn't have an announced workout with the Kings. Less than 24 hours later there was an announcement of WCS's workout with the Kings, making it pretty obvious that people are working too hard to find negativity when it comes to this team.
Ok. I understand the context now. Thanks.

Any news regarding how WCS went on thursday ? I havent been able to digg anything out. Surprised it hasn't been discussed
From what I heard the Kings like him, he worked out with Cameron Payne. Cameron Payne threw a couple of lobs to him!!! WCS in the interview with the Kings said his shot was "gold" and said that people will be surprised by how well he can shoot. Also George Karl from sactownroyalty said that he is surprised about how well he shoots.

Wouldn't surprise me if we're blacklisted honestly. Vivek inherited the Maloof dumpster fire, and instead of putting it out, he crapped all over it.

PDA's directionless Machiavellism didn't do us any favors around the league either.

Might take a few years for Vlade just to convince the league we aren't a bunch of career destroying idjits..... and that's IF Vlade is even capable...and that's IF Vivek can stop being a meddlesome tool.... IF Cuz doesn't demand a trade midway through another crap season....

....Siiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggghhhh...
kapow

I like the last look on Karl's face after closing the workout of WCS and Payne. Looks like he's saying, "yup! this is our guy" ;)

By the way, I still got a feeling that we are going to press a reset button on the PDA draft and trade Stauskas for a pick.
Detroit could be a team that may consider Nik and Payne is actually a reasonable pick in at #8.

So who knows it will be WCS + Payne wearing purple jerseys when draft day ends, which of course would be a pleasant thing for me.

I like the last look on Karl's face after closing the workout of WCS and Payne. Looks like he's saying, "yup! this is our guy" ;)

By the way, I still got a feeling that we are going to press a reset button on the PDA draft and trade Stauskas for a pick.
Detroit could be a team that may consider Nik and Payne is actually a reasonable pick in at #8.

So who knows it will be WCS + Payne wearing purple jerseys when draft day ends, which of course would be a pleasant thing for me.
Nobody is giving up a top 10 pick for Nik and Ben for that matter.

Kings don't need rookies. WCS can likely contribute in his first season, but there's no super talents left at #6 and later, plus Kings absolutely need a veteran PG, who can be a spot starter, so drafting a guy to be a primary backup PG is absolutely a bad idea.

Exchanging Landry, Nik and draft considerations for a solid big and solid guard is not though.

K

KingMilz

Pistons got Caldwell-Pope/ Meeks they would have zero interest in Nick imo.

whilst the video shows only the best bits im sure, the kid has range and is a much better shooter then advertised.

Now we just need to figure out a way to get him

Love how fluid Payne looks. Just no wasted motion and looks very in control. He'd also give Boogie a real PnR partner for the first time in his career. That's very appealing.

I know this is basically the last reason you draft him, but WCS needs a lot of work on his post game. Not comfortable at all and very rigid in with his moves. Would be a few years at least (if ever) before you could rely on him contributing offensively in any facet other than garbage points, transition and as a roll-man.

I'm really hoping we pick Winslow. Given that there is no chatter about him coming for a workout suggests the FO is not seriously considering him.

Hope that changes. I think he has a chance to be really good.

I'm really hoping we pick Winslow. Given that there is no chatter about him coming for a workout suggests the FO is not seriously considering him.

Hope that changes. I think he has a chance to be really good.
I don't mind Winslow at all. But I think he will only work best as a SG in the league. So if we pick him, we need to address that young-lings jam in our SG spot immediately or we will an instant laughing stock again for another season.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't mind Winslow at all. But I think he will only work best as a SG in the league. So if we pick him, we need to address that young-lings jam in our SG spot immediately or we will an instant laughing stock again for another season.
Pretty much my thoughts. Now Winslow can also move to the 3 when Rudy goes to the 4 spot but despite what Karl said I hope this isn't a huge part of the offensive approach next season but rather something that gets used for stretches, especially when the opponent goes small and/or doesn't have anybody remotely capable of handling Boogie one-on-one inside.

Of the guys at the top of the draft I think DeAngelo Russell has the highest bust potential even though I am a fan of his play. Winslow is the guy I think actually has the lowest bust potential but I also don't see any way that he becomes a star player. He's got decent to very good role player written all over him IMO.

Vlade talked about 5 or 6 players, they are interested in, so maybe 4 or 5 of those expect to go top-5 and don't want to give up their status. Mudiay seems most likely to drop, and it would be interesting, if his agent will look to find the floor, and have Manny working out for Denver. Every mock, that has Mudiay dropping past Kings, lists Denver as his destination though, so Manny's camp might try to keep a poker face and shut him down, believing in Denver as the lowest possible slot on the draft board.

I would hope, Kings will invite at least one more group of potential undrafted FAs. In theory massive deserting of internationals yesterday will prompt every guy on the bubble to work out for teams with picks in 45-60 range, but at the same time I would think being undrafted and picking your own situation might be better than being drafted at #53 and stuck with one team as a low value asset.

Vlade talked about 5 or 6 players, they are interested in, so maybe 4 or 5 of those expect to go top-5 and don't want to give up their status. Mudiay seems most likely to drop, and it would be interesting, if his agent will look to find the floor, and have Manny working out for Denver. Every mock, that has Mudiay dropping past Kings, lists Denver as his destination though, so Manny's camp might try to keep a poker face and shut him down, believing in Denver as the lowest possible slot on the draft board.

I would hope, Kings will invite at least one more group of potential undrafted FAs. In theory massive deserting of internationals yesterday will prompt every guy on the bubble to work out for teams with picks in 45-60 range, but at the same time I would think being undrafted and picking your own situation might be better than being drafted at #53 and stuck with one team as a low value asset.
I'm surprised we haven't seen more "trade down" targets come through, people like Oubre and Kaminsky for eg.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Haven't seen many prospects coming in which indicates to me that the pick will be traded for a veteran come draft night or within the off season. I suppose it's the wait game and see how the draft pants out type of scenario...if Cauley Stein is available, he will be drafted, otherwise...trade the pick or see if anyone drops to 6.

Winslow is expected to be there at 6. If he is, it won't be a case of him "dropping". I think he's a good solid prospect, but I also think he's best as a SG. And we just drafted two. There are likely going to be better prospects available, IMO of course.

Winslow is expected to be there at 6. If he is, it won't be a case of him "dropping". I think he's a good solid prospect, but I also think he's best as a SG. And we just drafted two. There are likely going to be better prospects available, IMO of course.
We drafted two SGs but it doesn't mean they're any good. McLemore is so-so. Might be a decent bench player, but he needs to have a role defined. He's all over the place. Nik is just bad so far. McLemore and Nik is probably the worst SG lineup in the league. Might as well draft Winslow if he's the only one available unless they trade the pick.

We drafted two SGs but it doesn't mean they're any good. McLemore is so-so. Might be a decent bench player, but he needs to have a role defined. He's all over the place. Nik is just bad so far. McLemore and Nik is probably the worst SG lineup in the league. Might as well draft Winslow if he's the only one available unless they trade the pick.
He won't be the only one available. One of Mudiay/WCS/Porzingis is guaranteed to be there at 6. I'm not against trading the pick for the right package though.

Ben made strides last year and isn't done improving. Our SG platoon has been horrible but it's ridiculous to give up on two prospects who are so young. Throwing another unproven rookie SG into the mix is a recipe for disaster.