Kings Pre-draft Workouts

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Prospects Announced for Kings Pre-Draft Workouts

Following is a list of scheduled attendees for Sacramento Kings Pre-Draft workouts, which will take place at Kings Practice Facility leading up to the 2015 NBA Draft on June 25.

May 29, 2015

• Corey Hawkins (PG/SG – 6’2” 192 lbs.) UC Davis
  • Mikh McKinney (PG – 6’1” 170 lbs.) Sacramento State
  • Shaquielle McKissic (SF – 6’5” 200 lbs.) Arizona State
  • Alan Williams (PF/C – 6’8” 264 lbs.) UC Santa Barbara
  • Charles Jackson (PF/C – 6’10” 225 lbs.) Tennessee Tech
  • Will Davis II (SF – 6’8” 209 lbs.) UC Irvine
List will be updated as attendees are announced.

Corey Hawkins was an incredible player for UCD. Really don't see how he has a chance to make an NBA team but glad he is given a chance to show what he has in a work out.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I look at that list at see summer camp invites, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Lots of "local" guys. You never know what you may find.
I'm sure the bigger names will be posted shortly. That should give us an idea of what we're doing with the #6 pick, or at least who we're targeting.

WTF is this?
Are the Kings TRYING to become a laughingstock of the NBA?
Why would they be wasting precious draft-prep time on guys who aren't going to be drafted by ANYone, and only have a snowball's chance of playing for ANY NBA team?

Don't they, like, have serious work to do, preparing for the most important (personnel-wise) off-season in franchise history?

WTF is this?
Why would they be wasting precious draft-prep time on guys who aren't going to be drafted by ANYone, and only have a snowball's chance of playing for ANY NBA team?

Don't they, like, have serious work to do, preparing for the most important (personnel-wise) off-season in franchise history?

Every team does this every year. The Kings might be interested in summer league or purchasing a 2nd round pick from someone. Again, every team does this, and no it does not make us a laughing stock.

WTF is this?
This is what's called building knowledge bank. Kings are not going to scrutinize these guys, but will take a thorough look. If they see someone they like, Kings might look deeper, see weaknesses, and offer advice, what to work on. When after 2-3 years in D-League you notice, that this guy largely doesn't have those flaws anymore, you've got yourself 9th-11th guy, maybe even a player for PO rotation.

Of those guys Hawkins was arguably best shooter in college with good release, defends well and can create, even if he'll be 24 pretty soon.

Alan Williams will find his way into the League, once he trims down and works on his shot.

At least they aren't inviting Satnam Singh Bhamara
They will.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
This is what's called building knowledge bank. Kings are not going to scrutinize these guys, but will take a thorough look. If they see someone they like, Kings might look deeper, see weaknesses, and offer advice, what to work on. When after 2-3 years in D-League you notice, that this guy largely doesn't have those flaws anymore, you've got yourself 9th-11th guy, maybe even a player for PO rotation.

Of those guys Hawkins was arguably best shooter in college with good release, defends well and can create, even if he'll be 24 pretty soon.

Alan Williams will find his way into the League, once he trims down and works on his shot.

They will.
I completely agree. You picked the two guys I was going to mention as well. I suspect we'll see some of these players on our summer league team, and perhaps on our D-League team. Right now, the tough part is getting the players you really want to look at in early. We're not the only team interested in them, and they generally try to schedule their workouts geographically. If your a player you don't want to be hop scotching all over the country if you can avoid it. It's usually why you'll see the same five or six players working out for the Lakers one day, the Kings the next, and the T Wolves the next.

Am I the only one disappointed that the Kings have yet to really work out anyone? There's so many teams that have already had 2-3 workouts and the Kings have had only 1 so far.. we still have 3 weeks until the draft. I know the Kings have gone up to see a few guys and have met with prospects.

It's just weird considering how they've always had a lot of workouts in previous years. They told us weeks earlier about their entire workout schedules too. Why the FO give out so many information about Malone and etc, but so little info on the draft?

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
The Kings not having a 2nd round pick indicates, as others have said, they are looking at summer league and D-League possibilites. Maybe the trade for a 2nd rounder, Philly has 4 or 5 and others have 2+. Plus the locals are good marketing and who knows, there is a diamond in the rough out there somewhere.

Am I the only one disappointed that the Kings have yet to really work out anyone? There's so many teams that have already had 2-3 workouts and the Kings have had only 1 so far.. we still have 3 weeks until the draft. I know the Kings have gone up to see a few guys and have met with prospects.

It's just weird considering how they've always had a lot of workouts in previous years. They told us weeks earlier about their entire workout schedules too. Why the FO give out so many information about Malone and etc, but so little info on the draft?
No body wants to come.

Per HoopsHype, the Kings are bringing in fast-rising Cameron Payne for a solo workout next week. DX Profile. Cameron looks like a solid passer/scorer, but has a tough time finishing in the paint and is a mixed bag defensively. Might be a bit of a reach at six, but definitely projects to be a prospect to watch.

The Kings typically workout summer league/training camp players during the pre-draft process. Wouldn't take those first two workouts too seriously.

The thing to look out for is if agents actively have their players avoid working out here ala the waning Maloof years; mainly due to our current dysfunction and lack of direction. What's also not always reported is joint workouts that our staff attends, and not all prospect workouts are publicized. However, I'd expect to see a handful of prospects in our range come through in the next few weeks, it's still a bit early.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Per HoopsHype, the Kings are bringing in fast-rising Cameron Payne for a solo workout next week. DX Profile. Cameron looks like a solid passer/scorer, but has a tough time finishing in the paint and is a mixed bag defensively. Might be a bit of a reach at six, but definitely projects to be a prospect to watch.

The Kings typically workout summer league/training camp players during the pre-draft process. Wouldn't take those first two workouts too seriously.

The thing to look out for is if agents actively have their players avoid working out here ala the waning Maloof years; mainly due to our current dysfunction and lack of direction. What's also not always reported is joint workouts that our staff attends, and not all prospect workouts are publicized. However, I'd expect to see a handful of prospects in our range come through in the next few weeks, it's still a bit early.
I think Payne is a guy that gets targeted in a trade down scenario. And I say that as a big fan of Payne.

My guess is that the Kings will struggle to get guys in for workouts. Agents want to put their clients in a situation where they can succeed and the Kings have not only had a decade of losing but also apparent and continued front office/ownership dysfunction which never bodes well.

My only hope is that by the end of draft night I feel better about the direction of this team than worse.

Last edited: