• Landry

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • er...um...Gay

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Yep. At least a lot of players and fans believe it is. There are some (and there's a list around somewhere) who have REFUSED to allow SI to put them on the cover.
I'd love to see the list of people who have refused. I would also love to see Boogie on the cover.

Media people are really going to be running out of bad things to say about Boogie when he acts like this.

95% of big name NBA players would have reacted MUCH worse to fouling out of a tie game on a terrible call. Could you imagine the crybaby fit Chris Paul would have thrown?

G

GQ_Gabriel

Bricklayer, as I've been following your game grades as of late, it has become very apparent that shooting efficiency is the main criteria here. Let's be harsh critics, but you've been giving Rudy Gay some very low grades. It seems that unless he shoots 10 for 15 and racks up 30 points, he's in for at best a C-. Grades should be based on how pivotal a piece the player was in us winning/losing the game. At the end of the day, for consecutive games now, Rudy has made the game winning bucket or play. Regardless of how he badly he shot the ball last night, or how many turnovers he had, without Rudy we don't win this game. His presence alone was a factor tonight, opponents defense' changes when he's on the floor, not to mention he was UNDER THE WEATHER for this game. All this needs to be taken under consideration, and I'm sure that there will be games where he does deserve a big fat juicy F. But He's been deserving of better grades. Just saying.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
You might want to take Gay's grade up with bajaden.

But it does speak to something that's been on my mind, Brick: you pay a lot of lip service to defense, but it doesn't seem to factor too heavily into your grades, at least not relative to offensive production. I'm kind of perplexed that you gave Thompson his second-best grade of the season for last night, when I kind of felt like it was the worst game he's played this year.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer, as I've been following your game grades as of late, it has become very apparent that shooting efficiency is the main criteria here. Let's be harsh critics, but you've been giving Rudy Gay some very low grades. It seems that unless he shoots 10 for 15 and racks up 30 points, he's in for at best a C-. Grades should be based on how pivotal a piece the player was in us winning/losing the game. At the end of the day, for consecutive games now, Rudy has made the game winning bucket or play. Regardless of how he badly he shot the ball last night, or how many turnovers he had, without Rudy we don't win this game. His presence alone was a factor tonight, opponents defense' changes when he's on the floor, not to mention he was UNDER THE WEATHER for this game. All this needs to be taken under consideration, and I'm sure that there will be games where he does deserve a big fat juicy F. But He's been deserving of better grades. Just saying.
You tell 'em!!! o_O

Reading these observations about assigning game grades is interesting and maybe some of them accurate. It reminds me how much I appreciate the job Brick and his crew of graders do game after game. And the Kings improved play should make the process a little more upbeat. Thanks, you guys.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
You might want to take Gay's grade up with bajaden.

But it does speak to something that's been on my mind, Brick: you pay a lot of lip service to defense, but it doesn't seem to factor too heavily into your grades, at least not relative to offensive production. I'm kind of perplexed that you gave Thompson his second-best grade of the season for last night, when I kind of felt like it was the worst game he's played this year.
Thompson. Jason Thompson? The guy with the C?

Your points seem valid, but I also wholeheartedly agree too with Brick (or Bajaden?) that Gay does not deserve to have a better grade than D in this game.

You don't grade someone better just because they played while sick. This is not elementary school. If playing sick affected their game, so be it. Giving grades at this level should be more objective, rather than more subjective. Gay played poorly all through-out the game until those crucial moments. Actually, if Gay was not able to contribute on those crucial moments, he deserves a grade lower than F.

Also, it would be fair to say Gay shot us out of the game. We were just lucky the team as a whole is just so good at this time that they were able to cover for their main star's failure.

Shooting 5/22 with 4 TO?

You don't give them good grade just because they were good before. You give them their grade based on their performance on the game played.

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
Speaking about the Gay grade...and I don't know that he deserves the D grade because of the late hoop and a huge rebound at the end but at best it's a C-.....what else can one give him on a shooting night like that. For as much as I've wanted JT traded and I've been a big proponent of the Landry signing, JT has been a big part of the turnaround this year with his defense..huge actually. And I WAS worried about Landry cause he looked so heavy footed and out of sync but he now looks like his self. Along with Evans, those 3 bigs have pieced together some effective minutes for the team.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
But it does speak to something that's been on my mind, Brick: you pay a lot of lip service to defense, but it doesn't seem to factor too heavily into your grades, at least not relative to offensive production.
I can't speak for Brick, but I can say as a member of the Consortium that defense is significantly harder to grade than offense. I personally can get a very good feel for a guy's offensive performance by simply watching the game. Defense, I have to actually focus my attention on one player - more than one player to attend to and I can't process all of the little off-ball things that come into play before man-on-ball D. I suspect that as the Consortium gets warmed up into action again that we may see more effective analysis of defense across all players.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Does the Consortium have access to replay? If you're tasked with grading more than one player, are you required to evaluate both of them simultaneously?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Does the Consortium have access to replay? If you're tasked with grading more than one player, are you required to evaluate both of them simultaneously?
Aren't we kind of getting to the point where we're really asking a lot of fellow Kings fans if they have to watch the game, rewatch the game to fully assess every nuance of a player's game and then write up a fair assessment considering all factors, and ask them to do this FOR FREE?

I'm just glad Brick and the other consortium members do this. I don't think it's necessary that they make each grade writeup into some kind of dissertation.

Aren't we kind of getting to the point where we're really asking a lot of fellow Kings fans if they have to watch the game, rewatch the game to fully assess every nuance of a player's game and then write up a fair assessment considering all factors, and ask them to do this FOR FREE?

I'm just glad Brick and the other consortium members do this. I don't think it's necessary that they make each grade writeup into some kind of dissertation.
I don't always agree with the grades in a game, but I appreciate the work of the consortium even if they aren't as perfectly logical as me.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Very impressed with Malone's coaching. The seeds of defense he planted last year are now germinating. If he gets this team over .500 he should be in the running for Coach of the Year.

Very impressed with Malone's coaching. The seeds of defense he planted last year are now germinating. If he gets this team over .500 he should be in the running for Coach of the Year.
The defense has been excellent. I am still skeptical of the offense, but it is better than the second half of last year.