• McLemore

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • Landry

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • er...um...Gay

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oh goodness this game had me jumping up and down biting my nails. Damn near had a heart attack. I'm gonna be honest with you guys - I don't think I've rooted this hard or been this excited about the Kings in all the years I've been a fan and member of this forum (about 8 years now?). The last few seasons have been tough with me not liking certain players on the team. This team has me believing that they can win, and getting REALLY upset when they're doing dumb things like not feeding Cousins the ball inside or playing lazy, and it's only because they have shown that they're capable of playing well.

The thing is though Landry only fell out of favor here. Actually he never was in favor here with the fans since the moment they signed him this second time around. I don't think the national perspective on Landry was negative. Golden State was missing him big time last year and their fans talked about it how they missed his defense and command of their second unit. I think now Golden State is ok with the emergence of Draymond Green but last year they certainly talked about missing Landry.

What Landry is proof of is that for role players fit and team direction play a major role in how you look at them. On a bad Kings team Landry was an undersized PF that didn't rebound enough, was paid too much, and took too many shots. On a good Kings team he's now known as a guy that plays hardnosed defense, a leader of the second unit, an alternative scorer in the post, and a glue guy in terms of chemistry. His game hasn't changed much just how he fits into what team he is on.
My problem with the signing at the time is that I thought we already had a scorer off the bench and that Landry was redundant while not bringing the D we needed, and that he'd have to fight for the ball with that other guy since neither guy was known for being a great passer.

Well, his D is better than expected. And that other scorer off the bench isn't here anymore. He was sitting on PHX's bench most of the game (much to the chagrin of grant and jerry). Now it all makes a lot more sense. Now Landry's post scoring is needed, and actually used.

Change the makeup of the team slightly, Landry's role expands, and it's all good.

I agree.

I am one of those who believe Sessions is a very good player and I actually believe he is good enough to be starting at times for our team. But the way he is playing I don't think he buys into what the team is trying to accomplish. I think he thinks we are still a team consisting of scrub players and that he does not need to upped his level of play. It seems like for him it is a waste of time to give his utmost effort to hustle, defend, take very good care of the ball, and be a very good facilitator, because this team is not going to go that far anyways.

To Mr. Sessions:
When you got signed, almost every fan thought you were a good signing. You better lit a light under your butt boy and give your all-out effort for this team every single game. Honestly, it is true that you are playing like a scrub right now because when everyone was at 3rd level of play (and on WIN mode) you were still coasting at the 1st level. You better play your a** out the moment you first step on the court, otherwise you'll see yourself sooner at the end of the bench pouting/cheering with DWill.
He's never played for a winner. Expectations change. Sessions will have to adjust.

yeah, have to keep that celebration a bit muted though -- he just lost his grandfather and had just got back from the funeral. Didn't really appear into this the way you might think.
I've not quite been doing the victory dance everyone is probably expecting from me for that reason.

Keep it respectful folks. He had more on his mind than a basketball game. Hard to say whether he was benched or just didn't play much due to outside circumstances.

I'm fairly sure I nearly had heart failure mutiple times throughout this game. What a nail biter. We made some needless mistakes which could have been costly down the stretch but you have to love our fighting spirit. We never gave up and just kept clawing away. Boogie's leadership has taken huge strides and is putting the team on his back, but has plenty of help. Pretty clear this team has meshed together well and they all have each others backs. I think they trust the coach and know he will look out for them - that trust is huge.

Amazing to see this ship turning around. This season is not going to be smooth sailing right the way through, but we're so much better than we were last year. We can easily finish above .500 and hopefully challenge for a playoff spot.

I've been critical of Ben in the past, and will continue to be. His offense is still a major work in progress.

With that being said, he's been solid more often than not defensively, and that is real, tangible improvement. He was awful on that end last season.

K

KingMilz

I've been critical of Ben in the past, and will continue to be. His offense is still a major work in progress.

With that being said, he's been solid more often than not defensively, and that is real, tangible improvement. He was awful on that end last season.
I think his confidence level/mental state is a major work in progress, what he has now in his offensive game is fine, the guy can clearly shoot (his technique is fantastic as is his form) and he's a decent straight line driver (we don't need him for anything else). I still don't believe that he can't shoot, this is not a Ricky Rubio situation where it's clearly a form/technique/touch thing it's all in his head. Once something in the game goes right for Ben all of a sudden he becomes a different player. The guy needs to beleive in himself in the Denver game he went out with a "I don't give a ^*^% attitude and starting ripping 3's at the start of the game (also had a post up fade away jumper) like it was nothing. If he ever learns to bring that attitude all the time he will fill it up for us with the amount of open looks he will get from Cuz in particular.

I think his confidence level/mental state is a major work in progress, what he has now in his offensive game is fine, the guy can clearly shoot (his technique is fantastic as is his form) and he's a decent straight line driver (we don't need him for anything else). I still don't believe that he can't shoot, this is not a Ricky Rubio situation where it's clearly a form/technique/touch thing it's all in his head. Once something in the game goes right for Ben all of a sudden he becomes a different player. The guy needs to beleive in himself in the Denver game he went out with a "I don't give a ^*^% attitude and starting ripping 3's at the start of the game (also had a post up fade away jumper) like it was nothing. If he ever learns to bring that attitude all the time he will fill it up for us with the amount of open looks he will get from Cuz in particular.
Oh yeah, on that post up fadeaway he looked like a real SG, didn't he? Where's that been before and since?

There are glimpses of a really nice player in there. He needs full team and coach support to get there. I don't know when/if he'll find the confidence, but the game, I really believe, is in there. There are reasons for optimism.

So much fight in this team last night. Weren't playing very well up until the fourth, every time we got close they'd pull away again, but stuck it out and won on the back of sheer will.

Oh yeah, on that post up fadeaway he looked like a real SG, didn't he? Where's that been before and since?

There are glimpses of a really nice player in there. He needs full team and coach support to get there. I don't know when/if he'll find the confidence, but the game, I really believe, is in there. There are reasons for optimism.
I think Ben's major problem is his lack of confidence AND passive playing style. There are not a lot of good passive players in the NBA. Durant gets away with it because he's Durant. Ben has the size and bulk to post up against SGs, but he doesn't do it often. I think he posted up against them twice this game and both translated into points. Ben just needs to be more aggressive.

This year, he's made MAJOR strides in his game. Even though SG may be our weakest position, it's not a bad problem to have 2 young promising SGs.

I've been saying for quite some time that the ability is there and I can see it. Even when some were saying he's the worst ever player. The team needs to put the ball in is hands and say go. I think it's very telling that when Cousins was out and Gay was struggling, Ben said, OK, I've got to make something happen and he looked comfortable doing it. He drained his free throws under pressure. He's shooting 46% over the last 3 games so he's not shooting poorly anymore. The key is for him to take a few shots early. Get to the hoop. The longer he doesn't shoot, the better chance he disappears on offense.

Ben defers to the stronger more aggressive personalities on the team. Once he realizes that we NEED him, we will see an improvement in his offensive. I have no doubt that coaches told him they NEED him on defense and you see what you get. Tell him you need him to help carry the offense and you'll see confidence.

I think everyone should chill out on Sessions. He has had a shaky stretch and is adjusting to new team mates and new system. While that shouldnt be a problem, it apparently is for him. I think, given his previous performance that he will get it. He will be fine come the next few weeks as a very solid back up. The good thing is if he isnt wr have a good insurance policy in ray mac. So everyone can relax.

I agree.

I am one of those who believe Sessions is a very good player and I actually believe he is good enough to be starting at times for our team. But the way he is playing I don't think he buys into what the team is trying to accomplish. I think he thinks we are still a team consisting of scrub players and that he does not need to upped his level of play. It seems like for him it is a waste of time to give his utmost effort to hustle, defend, take very good care of the ball, and be a very good facilitator, because this team is not going to go that far anyways.

To Mr. Sessions:
When you got signed, almost every fan thought you were a good signing. You better lit a light under your butt boy and give your all-out effort for this team every single game. Honestly, it is true that you are playing like a scrub right now because when everyone was at 3rd level of play (and on WIN mode) you were still coasting at the 1st level. You better play your a** out the moment you first step on the court, otherwise you'll see yourself sooner at the end of the bench pouting/cheering with DWill.
Sessions needs to do what he was brought here to do: to drive. Ever since he's committed really bad turnovers in Game 1, it looks like he's trying too hard to be a "true point guard" or a Darren Collison. That's why he's committing even more turnovers -- because he's passing too much without driving first! It could also be that he's far too reliant on the post players when he is not confident (he lost confidence after Game 1) and doesn't have as much experience as Collison in terms of passing to the big men in good positions.

He and the rest of the team and coaching need to accept that he is our Goran Dragic from last game: a driver that can break down defenses. Although I don't know if he can pass out from a drive, it's clear that he has experience in finishing; it just didn't show up last night as often as I'd like. If he does pass out of a drive pretty well, he will be a good component of the team when Ben and Nik get hot. If he can pass to a big during a drive, that would be great too. He should drive then pass to big man, since that's his specialty. Can't be Collison out there with the high and low passes; that takes precision. Can Sessions develop that precision? Does he have it already? I don't know.

Sessions needs to do what he was brought here to do: to drive. Ever since he's committed really bad turnovers in Game 1, it looks like he's trying too hard to be a "true point guard" or a Darren Collison. That's why he's committing even more turnovers -- because he's passing too much without driving first! It could also be that he's far too reliant on the post players when he is not confident (he lost confidence after Game 1) and doesn't have as much experience as Collison in terms of passing to the big men in good positions.

He and the rest of the team and coaching need to accept that he is our Goran Dragic from last game: a driver that can break down defenses. Although I don't know if he can pass out from a drive, it's clear that he has experience in finishing; it just didn't show up last night as often as I'd like. If he does pass out of a drive pretty well, he will be a good component of the team when Ben and Nik get hot. If he can pass to a big during a drive, that would be great too. He should drive then pass to big man, since that's his specialty. Can't be Collison out there with the high and low passes; that takes precision. Can Sessions develop that precision? Does he have it already? I don't know.
I'm starting to wonder if Sessions game and skillset actually fits what we're trying to do with this "motion offense". He looks lost, trying to set up an offense and initiate ball movement and post entry passing

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
I really think the Suns are missing Channing Frye. ALOT. They did not have to sign IT, I feel they should have paid Frye.

With the warning that it's early, the Kings are scoring 105.5 vs 100.5 last year, primarily on the strength of FT shooting (20.7 ppg vs 32.7 ppg). They are shooting worse, taking fewer shots, yet scoring more.

Conventional logic says a modern NBA team needs 3 point shooting, and almost no one on the team is hitting them right now. Only Rudy is hitting at a reasonable rate. I'm not sure if the FT rate is sustainable, but they will also start hitting 3s better at some point too. Even with not a lot of great shooters, the kings won't stay at 27.7% for long. They will fall at some point. Collison isn't a dead eye shooter, but he's also not a 14.2% 3 point guy either.

This doesn't feel like a fluke. I see ways they can improve It's not like lights out shooting is carrying the team, and that's been essentially the only road to victory around these parts for the better part of a decade. They're NOT playing great offensively. And it hasn't been perfect defensively either. But they are still beating good teams. People will say beating Denver doesn't mean much, but I guarantee you over in Denver they thought the games against us were two easy wins. Not anymore.

We can win the ugly games! Finally. That's so huge.

Nothing creates a close team like winning. The Kings played a mediocre game away and managed to win. That is a milestone and a testament to their defense.

Lots of contributors in this one, but I would single out Cousins for his great attitude. He is now playing like an adult. Stayed under control when he fouled out on a questionable call. Pulled the coach off the floor. Put his arm around his coach. Who was that guy?

Collison shows up at all the right times. The longer the game, the quicker he gets. He has a big motor and a lot of heart. Very impressive.

I have always like Landry when he is healthy. He is stronger than most of the guys he plays against.

The young guys are waking up, being energized by winning games. The whole thing is really fun to watch. May the magic continue.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Unfortunately I wasn't able to watch the fourth quarter or overtime, so I can only speculate, but I did watch the first three quarters and predicted a Kings win at that point. The Suns were shooting over 50% in the first three quarters but we were dominating the boards and shot 10 more free throws. Phoenix finished at 43% for the game so the shooting evened out in the end and we had 18 more rebounds and 14 more free throws. This is our blueprint this season -- contest shots, control the boards, and pound the ball inside. Phoenix also shot 31 three pointers to our 16. There are going to be nights where a team like Phoenix is pretty much unbeatable, but I think our strategy is a lot more sustainable. And also a lot more likely to produce wins in the playoffs.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to watch the fourth quarter or overtime, so I can only speculate, but I did watch the first three quarters and predicted a Kings win at that point. The Suns were shooting over 50% in the first three quarters but we were dominating the boards and shot 10 more free throws. Phoenix finished at 43% for the game so the shooting evened out in the end and we had 18 more rebounds and 14 more free throws. This is our blueprint this season -- contest shots, control the boards, and pound the ball inside. Phoenix also shot 31 three pointers to our 16. There are going to be nights where a team like Phoenix is pretty much unbeatable, but I think our strategy is a lot more sustainable. And also a lot more likely to produce wins in the playoffs.

Yes we're playing a more traditional style of play then the majority of the league and I love it. We're wearing teams down in the paint and on the glass and getting to the line a ton. Chucking from the 3 imo is often a substitute for coaching and overall team talent. A 10 point Phoenix lead was regularly erased in about 2 mins throughout the game that's why I always felt we were in it even when the Suns went on their runs. Go Kings.

VERY exciting game to watch last night - it sure got the family in a frenzy.

Oh - forgot to mention - the 6th foul on DMC was utter horsepoo.
I'm pretty sure the league officiating review board is going to come down hard on that ref - noone in the NBA wants to see a burgeoning superstar (that they are starting to propagandize) get taken out of the game during the last 40 seconds. It's bad business.

From a fan standpoint, and given the timing, it was the worst call I've seen this year.
DMC was as stationary as a player can realistically be, and the defender plowed into him and flopped down to the ground. Refs GOTTA be smarter than to be baited into forcing a call in that situation, and DMC HAS to have something he can do legally out there without getting a foul called on him. They basically disallowed screens in basketball if that's a foul.

This is the ideal. As much as it ticks some of us off, it will be great to fly under the radar for as long as possible. Keep the Kings and the fans hungry. Keep the rise a long one... it's more fun that way
This is how I feel. Pretty much, don't really want the league to analyze and dissect us yet

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Whereas I've probably watched Kentucky play more than any other college team, I'm very familiar with the dribble drive offense. I might add that Michigan, where Stauskas went to school, also uses a lot of the dribble drive offense. To simplify, one of your big's sets up on the right or left elbow. The ball goes into him, and then players in motion continue to sweep past him on the outside, using him as a pick. At some point, like a quarterback, he hands the ball off to one of those players. As that player turns the corner, he now has about 6 or 7 options. Continue to drive to the basket, off which he can run the pick and roll, go to the basket and score. Go to the basket, pull the defense toward him, and pass to a cutter. Pull up, and shoot. Drive and kick to the perimeter. Or kick back to his big to either shoot, or re-run the play. The dribble dirive offense is one of the more effective offense's against a zone defense. The only qualifier is that you need skilled players to run the offense.

In other words, it wouldn't be optimal to have Reggie Evans as the big at the elbow, or have someone who can't dribble or make quick decisions, as the hand off player. As a side note, both of our SG's shot better than 50% from the floor and went a combined 9 of 16. Yes, most of their misses came from hinterland, but I think in time that will rectify itself. Stauskas has shot close to 50% from the three in both his years at Michigan, so I'm not worried. If they can shoot close to 50% overall, while they get their legs under them, all is good.