Dave Joerger...rumors and speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I really like Joerger, but would much prefer Vogel instead. Despite him being a good coach at Memphis, I don't like the potential of a power struggle, nor do I like the fact that he never played his younger players.

Vogel has proven that he can develop players and get the best out of them.

I hope the power concerns aren't too big of a deal...
We just have to trust Vlade's thought process and decision making. With no reports out there about any Vogel interviews, Vlade went with the next guy up and it just so happens that Joerger fell in our laps, someway somehow. Every coach has something you can nit pick about, but that's not what I want to do anymore. Been there, done that for too long. It's gotten us different coaches almost on a yearly basis. If Vlade wants Joerger and he is guaranteeing there will be no conflict between he and Vivek about personnel moves and things of that nature, then all there is left is to hold out hope that this is our long term solution to returning to prominence again.

Weren't there also reports that Joerger wanted Memphis to draft Rodney Hood instead of Jordan Adams and then proceeded not to play Adams much?

Also didn't he say that he was not going to be involved in pre-draft workouts which took some in the organization by surprise as they expected the coach to be there for those?

It's not all roses with him but sometimes it's a two way street. There will need to be some background checking on this one. On surface it doesn't look great but there might be genuine reasons behind it.
Joerger clearly made a power play for new contract and went all in, btw betting on himself, that he can get one of available jobs, if push comes to shove.

All we are waiting for is a "1, 2, 3....Dave rocks!" before he is inked.
There's no problem with Vivek being the cheerleader #1 as long as he's not a part of decision-making.

P.S. "Dave rocks!", I guess.

Looks like he has a decent record with a small market team and preaches defense. Hopefully his complaints about pay can be handled upfront and the front office can support the guy with the trades and players necessary to field a competitive unit. Here we go again people. Strap on your helmets...

On the bright side, he has obviously had years of not only dealing with meddling owners/dysfunction, but has managed to get the team to focus and produce through it. From the sounds of it, this new steadier Kings might actually be a stroll in the park in comparison.
Wallace (the GM who sought and received permission from the Grizz to interview for our open GM slot, turns around less than a month later and cites 'lack of commitment to the organization' on Joerger's part when he asks to do THE SAME THING.

K

KingMilz

I really like Joerger, but would much prefer Vogel instead. Despite him being a good coach at Memphis, I don't like the potential of a power struggle, nor do I like the fact that he never played his younger players.

Vogel has proven that he can develop players and get the best out of them.

I hope the power concerns aren't too big of a deal...
The not playing young players are a combo of injury (J.Adams/J.Martin) and the fact most of them were not good enough for the NBA e.g Jarnell Stokes/Russ Smith and whoever else. He played JaMycal Green and Martin got plenty of time as well. Add to the fact they had a short window due to Z-Bo declining to win a title with Gasol-Z-Bo-Conley and he had little choice but your point is taken he's yet to show that side of his coaching ability or lack off. That is a big question mark right now but I'm sure in his D-League/CBA days he was only working with developing type players and won with them.

End of the day out of all the coaches out there right now he's the only one to make the playoffs all of the last 3 years and in the last one did it with a 28 man roster, there right now is no one better on the market including Frank Vogel/Kevin McHale/Blatt (who would all be fine as well).

Last edited by a moderator:

gunks

Hall of Famer
Joerger seems a bit hard headed, but I trust Vlade to #onthesamepage the situation (if a situation even arises, but I'm just gonna go full optimism and assume we're going to kill everyone with defense and Cuz-centric smashball)!

Shakas all round!!!

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
By all accounts it looks like the Kings got this one right from the start. Interviewed a lot of guys when a potential winer suddenly popped up jumped on it sent a private jet, and moved quick. No one can say that "the crazy dysfunctional franchise goofed it up again"

Last edited:
A good young players coach that has had success with major head cases in the past? Oh and who also runs the style of basketball we want and helped develop a very good defensive team in Memphis? Vlade gets this done and he's a genius. Rumors are he was in contact with us weeks ago... Could have been the guy all along.

One question...

How you gonna stop Vlad's plan?

By all accounts it looks like the Kings got this one right from the start. Interviewed a lot of guys when a potential when are suddenly popped up jumped on it sent a private jet, and move too quick. No one can say that "the crazy dysfunctional franchise goofed it up again"
I hope you're right. But we ain't outta the woods until DJ signs that contract! I'm just itching with anticipation to get that announcement. I get that the process worked for us so far, but I think DJ is clearly the best of the candidates so far and we need to pounce on this opportunity.

Anyone else not getting their hopes up for the signing of Joerger because we're the Kings?
Yeah after seeing that tweet about him meeting with Vivek. I picture Joerger hanging around Vlade, talking about defense, an offense that fits our players, how to utilize Cousins etc.

Then I can't help imagining Vivek getting in there and blowing the whole thing up. Still talking about NBA 3.0, 4 on 5 defense and how his coaching on his daughters team is still considered one of the best coaching performances since people started throwing coconuts into milk crates a hundred years ago.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yeah after seeing that tweet about him meeting with Vivek. I picture Joerger hanging around Vlade, talking about defense, an offense that fits our players, how to utilize Cousins etc.

Then I can't help imagining Vivek getting in there and blowing the whole thing up. Still talking about NBA 3.0, 4 on 5 defense and how his coaching on his daughters team is still considered one of the best coaching performances since people started throwing coconuts into milk crates a hundred years ago.
"Sure Dave you can coach my team but first take this selfie with me... Anyways where were we? Oh yeah! 4-on-5!!!"

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I hope you're right. But we ain't outta the woods until DJ signs that contract! I'm just itching with anticipation to get that announcement. I get that the process worked for us so far, but I think DJ is clearly the best of the candidates so far and we need to pounce on this opportunity.
My larger point was no matter if DJ signed or not, Vlade and the franchise have done all the right things THIS time.

Status
Not open for further replies.