Cousins vs. the Bee

dude12

Hall of Famer
Per Jason Jones' twitter. Coach Joerger puts the Bee on blast....I couldn't paste the remarks from Joerger but read it. I like Coach Joerger a whole bunch more after this.

@mr_jasonjones: Dave Joerger responded to The Bee's coverage of DeMarcus Cousins and his beef with Andy Furillo before today's game: https://t.co/Ao6whLblzj

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe we'll get lucky, and the next evolution of Cousins' game is right around the corner? After all, Michael Jordan made a career out of wanting to bury people for offenses that he largely made up in his head.
That's always been the hope -at least for me - that Cousins would learn to channel all the emotion and use it to improve his game rather than letting it take him out of his game.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The Bee also decided to double down on its stance despite having a huge amount of its readership being hardcore against their handling of the situation.

(Gonna paste the article so you don't give them the clicks they so desperately crave)

DeMarcus Cousins is too big for Kings to keep babying

BY THE EDITORIAL BOARD

The last thing DeMarcus Cousins needs is another apologist.

For six seasons, the Sacramento Kings’ star player has whined, thrown on-court temper tantrums, sucker-punched an opposing player, gotten ejected from multiple games, served multiple suspensions, and bullied his coaches and his teammates without shame.

Now that he has so blatantly threatened a journalist – angrily poking a finger in the face of Sacramento Bee sports columnist Andy Furillo in a video that has bounced all over the internet – one would think things might be different. That enough might finally be enough.

But in Kings coach Dave Joerger, it appears he has found another short-sighted defender, who seems inclined to let Cousins off with a slap on the wrist, rather than mete out appropriate punishment.

“I do think what The Sacramento Bee did the other day was just ridiculous,” Joerger said Sunday, of a column by Bee Executive Editor Joyce Terhaar that put Cousins on blast for his treatment of Furillo and other journalists.

“This guy is the face of our franchise,” Joerger continued. “He’s done and said some things that he wishes he could do over. He’s improved; he’s gotten better. But to go and use other reporters, third person, oh he bullies his coaches or he bullies, that is (trash). And to put it out there like that, that is ridiculous.”

To the contrary. Actually, what is “ridiculous” is the way the Kings management keeps downplaying the destructive and dispiriting behavior of an immature 26-year-old man who hasn’t yet learned how to be the leader his team so desperately needs.

Given chance after chance to step up, Cousins makes the same mistakes season after season. Holding grudges against journalists, refusing to answer their questions despite his contractual union obligation to do so, is nothing new.

In November 2012, for example, the NBA suspended him for two games after he confronted TV analyst and former NBA player Sean Elliott over comments Elliott made during a telecast. And yet, last Monday, Cousins – all 6 feet, 11 inches of him – decided it was a good idea to try to intimidate Furillo over a column that mentioned a widely publicized case about the arrest of Cousins’ brother, Jaleel.

“Don’t ever mention my brother again. You don’t know my f------ brother,” Cousins shouted. “Say whatever you want about me, but don’t mention my m------------ family.”

The Kings say they are reviewing the incident, as they should. The NBA should investigate, too. But more than that, the Kings management must change how it works with Cousins.

Too often, he avoids consequences for his actions because, with a Olympic gold medal and a couple of All-Star Games under his belt, he’s one of the most talented players in the NBA – and let’s face it, the Kings need all the help they can get.

We understand Joerger’s desire to build rapport with Cousins, given that so many other coaches lost their jobs for failing to do so, but that doesn’t mean he has to be a pushover. We also understand the team’s desire to hang on to an immensely talented player, but it’s wise to remember that even with Cousins on the roster, the Kings are still losing and have been for years.

No one wants to watch a team go down in flames, especially one led by a man who, while often selfless with his money and time to youths in struggling Sacramento neighborhoods, is prone to selfish outbursts on the court. The seats are sold out, but there’s a reason that people head to the bars or home before the games are over.

For the good of the team and the fans who pay good money for season tickets, it’s time for the Kings to stop enabling Cousins.

Brilliant. More negative reporting please. The more NBA Gm's actually buy in in this whole "Cousins is a cancer" BS, the easier it will be to resign him under the new CBA.
Time for Joerger to put more fuel to the fire and throw a temper tantrum at the Bee. I love it!

Brilliant. More negative reporting please. The more NBA Gm's actually buy in in this whole "Cousins is a cancer" BS, the easier it will be to resign him under the new CBA.
Time for Joerger to put more fuel to the fire and throw a temper tantrum at the Bee. I love it!
What was said in that article that was untrue? And, trust me, the GM's around the league viewed him as a cancer long before this feud with the Bee.

What was said in that article that was untrue? And, trust me, the GM's around the league viewed him as a cancer long before this feud with the Bee.
The whole piece is incredibly tendentious.

I'm not a native speaker, so my feel for the english language might be a bit off, but I think this is truly embarassing for the Bee and gutter journalism at it's worst.

"The last thing DeMarcus Cousins needs is another apologist"

How many apologist did Cousins have over the years? Calipari, Coach K and?
DMC has been trashed by the media year in and year out, but the Bee wants to convey the impression, that countless people constantly apologize or downplay his behaviour. This might be true for KingsFans.com. This isn't true for the rest of the world, where DMC is painted as the enfant terrible of the league.

"and bullied his coaches and his teammates without shame."

Did I miss something? Where is the prove, that DMC has bullied teammates or coaches? And more so, where is the prove he has done it on purpose and without shame? He has thrown a temper tantrum at Karl. But in my mind bullying is something else.

"But in Kings coach Dave Joerger, it appears he has found another short-sighted defender, who seems inclined to let Cousins off with a slap on the wrist, rather than mete out appropriate punishment."

So his coach, the person who works with him every day, judges the situation differentely, but this of course means he is shortsighted and afraid to properly punish DMC? At the moment we don't know, how the Kings will punish DMC. Why not wait until we know something, before we act as if coach Joerger is a short sighted apologist?

"immature 26-year-old man who hasn’t yet learned how to be the leader his team so desperately needs."

Only because it's common sense it doesn't make the painting of a 26 year old professional athlete, who is one of the best in his business, as an immature man-kid any more warranted. Every man or woman, who ever tried to achieve something in sports, knows what amount of discipline and dedication is necessary to reach the top. Sport is one of the things, that requires total dedication, because nearly every life choice will have an impact on your performance. It's about countless repititions, eating right, sleeping right, resting right (which in case of NBA player should be a huge issue). So a person like DMC, who is able to get better year in and year out, constantly adding to his game, is immature?
That's just pure hyperbole. Emotional to a fault? Yes! No problem with that. But being emotional doesn't mean immature.

And yet, last Monday, Cousins – all 6 feet, 11 inches of him – decided it was a good idea to try to intimidate Furillo

Oh boy. Let's act like the hostile giant was close to killing our poor little reporter. Please..it's not Cousins fault, that he is 6'11. Would this whole thing even be that big of a deal, if we would be talking about 5'3 Mugsy Bogues? When a 6'11 giant sizes you up and curses at you, it sure is intimidating, but it's still just someone throwing a few profanitys at you and not a dangerous situation at all for gods sake. Cousins didn't even touch him and all he was wearing was a towel. Big deal right?

We understand Joerger’s desire to build rapport with Cousins, given that so many other coaches lost their jobs for failing to do so, but that doesn’t mean he has to be a pushover.

Again they are painting Joergers rational decision to view things differentely, than the Bee as solely motivated by fear of failing to bond with DMC. So many coaches lost their job, failing to do so? Which? Westphal? Ok....
But other than Westphal? Coaches in SAC lost their job, because they were bad coaches or because they managed to lose the whole team and not DMC. DMC was always coachable. Every guy following the Kings, noticed the changes in his game, once a new coach arrived. Unlike Lebron, who is in a position of power, Cousins accepts coaching. So in the end this paragraph is simply unproved defamation by the Bee and therefore unprofessional as hell.

Note that I don't downplay Cousins behaviour. It was unwarranted and dumb. But it's not that big of a deal the Bee tries to make it into, to justify their pathetic bias, when it comes to DMC, who has been called out for being fat, unprofessional, immature and a few other things, by them without much prove. That's just bad journalism or not journalism at all.

If you want to accuse a professional athlete of being fat and out of shape, come up with something to prove it. Come up with his body fat percentage or his lactate values.
If you want to call him a bully, come up with the quotes or at least some named sources.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The Bee also decided to double down on its stance despite having a huge amount of its readership being hardcore against their handling of the situation.

(Gonna paste the article so you don't give them the clicks they so desperately crave)

DeMarcus Cousins is too big for Kings to keep babying

BY THE EDITORIAL BOARD

etc...
Well well, you turn over a rock and at least its out in the open now. I am getting a kick out of how this assassination attempt did not go nearly the way the Bee thought it would. Now they are out on an island making a spectacle of themselves.

I would just pull everybody's press passes except Jason Jones. They are making themselves a complete self-serving distraction at this point. If Marc Cuban can boot ESPN reporters from his lockerroom, we can certainly do the same thing to Sacramento Bee columnists.

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
That's always been the hope -at least for me - that Cousins would learn to channel all the emotion and use it to improve his game rather than letting it take him out of his game.
He hasn't improved his game? I don't think Boogie has a problem with himself. He's emotional to a fault and that is that he won't hide it as opposed to a Rudy Gay and/or Collison who won't say anything but just don't play as hard. Rudy is also emotional, he just chooses to not give a rip while Cousins continues to play hard at least.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The Bee is trying paint the picture of Boogie being hostile to all media but that's simply not true. Sean Cunningham and, heck, their own beat reporter Jason Jones have managed to maintain some semblance Lana positive relationship with Cuz.

In fact, the only people who Boogie really seems to have a huge problem with are Chuckles the Clown and the Wicked Witch.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
He hasn't improved his game? I don't think Boogie has a problem with himself. He's emotional to a fault and that is that he won't hide it as opposed to a Rudy Gay and/or Collison who won't say anything but just don't play as hard. Rudy is also emotional, he just chooses to not give a rip while Cousins continues to play hard at least.
He still lets his emotions take him out of the game at times. I love Cousins but he's not mentally strong enough to carry a team. He's gotten better but when things don't go his way he loses his focus.

He still lets his emotions take him out of the game at times. I love Cousins but he's not mentally strong enough to carry a team. He's gotten better but when things don't go his way he loses his focus.
That's true, but at the same time his tendency to hostility and aggression makes him the player he is and somehow benefits his game. Cousins with a relaxed attitude like AD or P.Gasol wouldn't be the same player. He makes up for his lack of lift with tremendous natural strength and physicality. And you don't run over people without being hostile.
So basically his temper is a double edged sword. We get the best and the worst sometimes.
It's up to his coach, the organisation and his teammates to keep him in a productive balance. We need to find our leader elsewhere like the Grizzlies have with Allen.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Not what you said...you said he hasn't improved his game. And I think there is a stretch on calling him mentally weak. I consider Ben and or WCS as mentally weak. I consider Cousins emotional. I think he's gotten better about staying focused. Maybe it takes the right guys to play with Cousins such as,Temple who are not mentally weak. Koufos doesn't seem bothered by him. Rudy? I don't know, there's a reason why he's been dealt so many times.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's true, but at the same time his tendency to hostility and aggression makes him the player he is and somehow benefits his game. Cousins with a relaxed attitude like AD or P.Gasol wouldn't be the same player. He makes up for his lack of lift with tremendous natural strength and physicality. And you don't run over people without being hostile.
So basically his temper is a double edged sword. We get the best and the worst sometimes.
It's up to his coach, the organisation and his teammates to keep him in a productive balance. We need to find our leader elsewhere like the Grizzlies have with Allen.
I'll always take a guy with a fire in his belly that sometimes loses control over a guy who looks like he's just punching his time card and watching the clock. Boogie is the former and too often Rudy looks like the latter. But with Cousins he keeps letting his emotions cause him to make the same mistakes that never help and only hurt his team. There's a balance that he hasn't reached yet.

Not what you said...you said he hasn't improved his game. And I think there is a stretch on calling him mentally weak. I consider Ben and or WCS as mentally weak. I consider Cousins emotional. I think he's gotten better about staying focused. Maybe it takes the right guys to play with Cousins such as,Temple who are not mentally weak. Koufos doesn't seem bothered by him. Rudy? I don't know, there's a reason why he's been dealt so many times.
Oh, I think you are misunderstanding what I said initially. Or I wasn't being clear enough. I wasn't saying that Cousins hasn't improved. I was saying that I wish he would channel his emotions properly in a way that adds to his game instead of taking away from it. Kobe and Jordan both played angry. They looked for any motivation to channel into crushing whoever they faced. Draymond Green took some innocuous comment from Porzingis and turned it into a slight which motivated him to guard KP aggressively. Same kind of thing MJ was famous for. That's the kind of channeling of emotion Boogie needs. Take it all and use it to help his team win instead of allowing it to boil over and result in him arguing with the ref instead of running back on defense, or committing a dumb foul because he's upset with a non-call.

Cousins wouldn't be the same player if he wasn't so emotional. But he lets it hurt him too often.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I'll always take a guy with a fire in his belly that sometimes loses control over a guy who looks like he's just punching his time card and watching the clock. Boogie is the former and too often Rudy looks like the latter. But with Cousins he keeps letting his emotions cause him to make the same mistakes that never help and only hurt his team. There's a balance that he hasn't reached yet.

Oh, I think you are misunderstanding what I said initially. Or I wasn't being clear enough. I wasn't saying that Cousins hasn't improved. I was saying that I wish he would channel his emotions properly in a way that adds to his game instead of taking away from it. Kobe and Jordan both played angry. They looked for any motivation to channel into crushing whoever they faced. Draymond Green took some innocuous comment from Porzingis and turned it into a slight which motivated him to guard KP aggressively. Same kind of thing MJ was famous for. That's the kind of channeling of emotion Boogie needs. Take it all and use it to help his team win instead of allowing it to boil over and result in him arguing with the ref instead of running back on defense, or committing a dumb foul because he's upset with a non-call.

Cousins wouldn't be the same player if he wasn't so emotional. But he lets it hurt him too often.
Got it

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bottom line for me is the Bee has put themselves into a position where they cannot possibly win. They're actually garnering ridicule and disdain from their national counterparts on more than one front - and they've brought it on themselves.

So how is Voisin going to get anyone to talk to her now when she's openly blasted Cousins for being a bully? I would LOVE to see the Kings pull her credentials. In fact, that might be my Christmas wish for this year.

I see two types of bullying. The obvious kind that Demarcus did and then less obvious, more intelligent kind that the media is doing.

Only difference is the media paints themselves as these helpless victims who have done nothing wrong while Demarcus steps up to them like a man and tells them how he feels in the moment. To the majority, Cousins looks like a jerk and the media look like innocent victims while only us, the minority, know what has been really going on. It's all about money and the media make more money running hit piece after hit piece on our star player than they would if they actually covered the sport as a sport.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I don't think was Demarcus did is actually bullying. Singling someone out for an isolated incident isn't bullying, especially when he wasn't an instigator. The media has been baiting him since his arrival (seriously, how many times has Ailene called him fat?), and he's standing up for himself and his family. Did he do it in the right way? No. But that isn't bullying.

Bullying would be constantly making fun of Ailene's hair like she has his weight. Seriously, you'd think he's Oliver Miller. Bullying would be, "hey make way for the short guy" each and every time Furillo walked in.

Not bullying.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I don't think was Demarcus did is actually bullying. Singling someone out for an isolated incident isn't bullying, especially when he wasn't an instigator. The media has been baiting him since his arrival (seriously, how many times has Ailene called him fat?), and he's standing up for himself and his family. Did he do it in the right way? No. But that isn't bullying.

Bullying would be constantly making fun of Ailene's hair like she has his weight. Seriously, you'd think he's Oliver Miller. Bullying would be, "hey make way for the short guy" each and every time Furillo walked in.

Not bullying.
Word. Bullying is such an obnoxious buzzword. I work at a school with grade-school kiddos. I know what bullying is and isn't. I hear the word "bully/bullying" overused to the point of wanting to rip my hair out.

You hit the nail on the head. An outburst =/= bullying.

Last edited:
As much as I HATE the Bee and jerk reporters, DMC isn't helping his cause by bringing himself down to their level. For better or worse, if you are a public figure and an adult family member is in the news, they are fair game.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
As much as I HATE the Bee and jerk reporters, DMC isn't helping his cause by bringing himself down to their level. For better or worse, if you are a public figure and an adult family member is in the news, they are fair game.
Not in a sports story. What Furillo did was calculated to get a response from Cousins. It smacks of tabloid journalism - which would actually be a step up for the Bee.