Cousins vs. the Bee

K

KingsFan80

Newspapers are a dying business. Nobody under 50 buys the print copy anymore and now all papers like the Sac Bee are going to online subscription. I would hope nobody on here is dumb enough to pay for an online subscription to a local newspaper website. If so, google is your friend for news.

In ten years the Sac Bee will not exist or at least reporters writing the stories about Cousins. Sites like ESPN, CBS etc are getting all of the national news and distributing it first via Twitter. Big teams like the Kings leak stories to them, not the Bee, as ESPN is a better mutually beneficial friend to the Kings.

I think the Bee will be forced, financially, to go to an automated distribution via social media or site and eliminate the reporters. For example, like Google will create an online method to distribute local news via a feed. Someone in Sacramento will be responsible for uploading short story posts about local news. Anyone in the business world, outside of the newspaper companies, will tell you their days are slowly over.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Cousins but he's not mentally strong enough to carry a team. He's gotten better but when things don't go his way he loses his focus.
Mentally strong isn't the correct description, IMO. He lacks the discipline to control his emotions, which is a different thing. It's not like he has some mental issue that causes him to fold under pressure. He typically is strong under pressure, making his shots/FT's along with making sound plays. Tonight was a prime example. He just needs to keep his anger and frustration in check.

The Bee also decided to double down on its stance despite having a huge amount of its readership being hardcore against their handling of the situation.
Just curious how you are determining that? From the reader comments (which I never read)?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all suggesting that you are wrong but rather wondering what makes you say that.

I'm glad to hear readers are against the Bee.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I thought Marcus Breton had a very fair take on the saga today, which touches on a lot of things I've felt, as well as what I've seen from some of the more articulate posters here. He's a little soft on his colleagues, but he nails the issue as being bigger than Cousins. I'd encourage everyone to read, even you would-be Bee boycotters: http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/marcos-breton/article122089614.html
I read it this morning and thought it was a fair take also...spot on with being soft on his colleagues but was a fair take. And I really don't like Breton, but that was fair.

I thought Marcus Breton had a very fair take on the saga today, which touches on a lot of things I've felt, as well as what I've seen from some of the more articulate posters here. He's a little soft on his colleagues, but he nails the issue as being bigger than Cousins. I'd encourage everyone to read, even you would-be Bee boycotters: http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/marcos-breton/article122089614.html
Marcos Breton is like the band leader of the Sac Bee weenie brigade. He gets butthurt over slights - blocks twitter followers who disagree with him. To me he's just a smug **** getting his licks in at Vivek etc.. not compelling at all.

Not trying to slam the poster I'm quoting - but I can't stand the fake tough guy Marcos Breton.

Last edited by a moderator:
I caught the end of the Sam Amick interview on the KHTK noon show, and he was saying that it shouldn't have only been about "Cousins vs the Bee" - the tiff with Leo Bias at CK, and there were two other (unnamed) media people that Demarcus had done this to.

Cuz really needs an attitude adjustment.
Better check himself before he wrecks himself, and all.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I caught the end of the Sam Amick interview on the KHTK noon show, and he was saying that it shouldn't have only been about "Cousins vs the Bee" - the tiff with Leo Bias at CK, and there were two other (unnamed) media people that Demarcus had done this to.

Cuz really needs an attitude adjustment.
Better check himself before he wrecks himself, and all.
Ah, Sam Amick - formerly of the Bee - whose first interview with Kevin Martin was more about Kev not wearing a seat belt than it was about Martin himself.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Here's a bit of an update, from Andy Furillo's column last night (link):

After 22 enjoyable months of writing a sports column, I realize how much I miss covering other news. Sports and sports people and The Bee’s sports readers have been great. But I’d reported and written other news for 35 years before I became a sports columnist. And I miss my old beat.

Next up for me will be covering the federal courthouse in Sacramento. Thanks so much to everybody.

L

Lopes

Ah, Sam Amick - formerly of the Bee - whose first interview with Kevin Martin was more about Kev not wearing a seat belt than it was about Martin himself.
Sam Amick is a well respected media member. Usually when so many folks report about the behavior of an individual it tends to be true. Plus grant is with the team nearly every day. I highly doubt Napier just makes stuff up especially if he is employed by the team.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sam Amick is a well respected media member. Usually when so many folks report about the behavior of an individual it tends to be true. Plus grant is with the team nearly every day. I highly doubt Napier just makes stuff up especially if he is employed by the team.
I am well aware who Sam Amick is. My comment had nothing at all to do with Grant. It was about a feature article Sam Amick wrote about Kevin Martin. I thought I made it fairly clear.

L

Lopes

I am well aware who Sam Amick is. My comment had nothing at all to do with Grant. It was about a feature article Sam Amick wrote about Kevin Martin. I thought I made it fairly clear.
Sure looked like you were questioning his integrity. So I added that many close to the team shared the opinion. So...

I have mixed feelings. I hate the Bee (for a lot of reasons, not just sports reporting). However I think this is much ado about nothing. I'm more concerned about DMC's on court attitude and technical foul accruals than an off court feud with a reporter.

Wow. Can't believe so many of you are happy that some old timer got run off by Cousins. Tell me again, what exactly did Furillo do wrong?
You're making assumptions. I'll be happy when Poison is run out of town because she's horrible at her job (IMO). It has nothing to do with DeMarcus Cousins. I've disliked her far before Cousins time in Sacramento. This goes back to the Webber, Divac, Peja era and beyond.

Same goes for Furillo. I'm happy he's doing something else because, like Poison, I believe he's not at all a good fit for the job.

Some don't care for Jason Jones either, even though he's had no known run ins with players. So it has nothing to do with that and everything to do with job performance. I can't speak for anyone else who dislikes Furillo and Poison, but I'm willing to bet many of them feel the same.

You're making assumptions. I'll be happy when Poison is run out of town because she's horrible at her job (IMO). It has nothing to do with DeMarcus Cousins. I've disliked her far before Cousins time in Sacramento. This goes back to the Webber, Divac, Peja era and beyond.

Same goes for Furillo. I'm happy he's doing something else because, like Poison, I believe he's not at all a good fit for the job.

Some don't care for Jason Jones either, even though he's had no known run ins with players. So it has nothing to do with that and everything to do with job performance. I can't speak for anyone else who dislikes Furillo and Poison, but I'm willing to bet many of them feel the same.
So, again, you didn't answer my question. What EXACTLY did he do wrong? Or, why do you feel he's not "fit for the job?" Do you have a background/education in journalism?

Wow. Can't believe so many of you are happy that some old timer got run off by Cousins. Tell me again, what exactly did Furillo do wrong?
He baited the face of the franchise and smirked as it seemed to be working. Then he went (with Ailene I believe) crying to the paper's editor who decided to double/triple down on the drama.

Furillo, Voison, and the President of the paper ganged up and conspired to try and make DeMarcus Cousins look "extra bad". I felt it was ugly and unbecoming for the Bee to do that.

I'm personally really glad to see Furillo eat crap. I'm ok if people don't agree with it, but I love it.