WOJ: Rudy Gay informs Kings he'll opt out and likely not return

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't see subtext. That's obvious. You don't see subtlety. Rudy doesn't want to sell out his fellow Olympian. Rudy is a cool dude. He doesn't want to air his dirty laundry. It serves no purpose. He wants to get along. He wants to win here, with this coaching staff, with this city. But its hard to hide true feelings. It is hard to mask the frustration beneath the surface. And if you are intuitive, if you are perceptive, you can sense the real message. Let's try this your way: Rudy and Boogie are best buds. And where is the evidence of that again? Oh wait, there is none.
mmmm... it's good to know that our resident kf.com jedi master is able to "sense" the real message for us...

o_O

mmmm... it's good to know that our resident kf.com jedi master is able to "sense" the real message for us...

o_O
Like I said previously, if you want to offer an alternative and reasonably valid hypothesis as to why Rudy wants out, I am ALL EARS. I haven't heard one. Rudy wants out because he's seen Boogie's act and he's seen enough. If you want to claim otherwise, make your case. I am listening.....

Like I said previously, if you want to offer an alternative and reasonably valid hypothesis as to why Rudy wants out, I am ALL EARS. I haven't heard one. Rudy wants out because he's seen Boogie's act and he's seen enough. If you want to claim otherwise, make your case. I am listening.....
you have a nakedly ridiculous habit of reducing nearly every argument to some variation of "blah blah, it's boogie's fault, blah."

it's much more likely that demarcus' behavior is but a component of a much larger thought process for rudy. it could just as easily be argued that he wants out because the kings are on their fourth head coach in the three years since he was traded to sacramento. and while many kings fans are excited about dave joerger's hiring, there's no reason to believe that the players feel the same way about starting from square one as each new season approaches, particularly rudy, who re-signed in part because of the relationship he had with mike malone, who was promptly canned not one month after rudy put ink to an extension with the kings.

then there's the front office, who is on its second general manager since rudy was acquired, and while i maintain very cautious optimism about the work vlade is doing as gm, there is once again no reason to believe that the players feel the same way. the kings' draft selections send mixed signals about what the future holds for this franchise, and even though the team's free agency signings represented short-term prudence, they also don't inspire any kind of excitement. vlade kept the team from being locked into weighty long-term deals for mediocre players, but with the kings, it's always a culture of "next year." as in, "next year" will be the year we hit it big in the draft, or "next year" will be the year we sign a worthy free agent, or "next year" will be the year we turn the corner.

then there's sacramento itself. it's not exactly cosmopolitan, nor has it ever held much appeal for major nba talent. yes, the kings will open the 2016-2017 season in a fantastic new arena, and while that matters to kings fans, i imagine it matters much less to the players. they will surely enjoy playing in a world class arena, but i also imagine the average nba player is much more compelled by circumstances beyond the building they play in 41 times a season. sacramento remains a small market franchise with a poor track record of success and a recent history of dysfunction that any player of note would happily escape (the big bad boogie cousins excepted, interestingly enough).

rudy gay is 30 years old. he's playing for his last major contract in the nba. he's playing out the remaining years of his prime. and with no signs that the kings are about to become serious playoff contenders anytime soon, i haven't the slightest problem with rudy deciding that he'd like to move on. but to paint rudy's desire to leave as some kind of referendum against demarcus cousins is an especially putrid brand of confirmation bias from a poster who's long been an evangelist for the boogie bashing set.

I've said this before, but I guess you weren't paying attention. James Ham ( who sees these guys in ways we never will ), said that he has never seen any indication that Rudy and Cousins don't get along. He said he has got the impression from Rudy, that Rudy thinks their games don't mesh well with one another.

I have seen this same sediment from many other writers around the Kings (podcasts, twitter, etc.) I even heard Grant Napear (who is always quick to say something negative about Cousins ) asked about them not getting along and he said there was no evidence of that.
Sometimes the mind sees what it wants to see. Blob, you look so hard to find anything negative in regards to Cousins that you turn things that way when there is nothing to see.

you have a nakedly ridiculous habit of reducing nearly every argument to some variation of "blah blah, it's boogie's fault, blah."

it's much more likely that demarcus' behavior is but a component of a much larger thought process for rudy. it could just as easily be argued that he wants out because the kings are on their fourth head coach in the three years since he was traded to sacramento. and while many kings fans are excited about dave joerger's hiring, there's no reason to believe that the players feel the same way about starting from square one as each new season approaches, particularly rudy, who re-signed in part because of the relationship he had with mike malone, who was promptly canned not one month after rudy put ink to an extension with the kings.

then there's the front office, who is on its second general manager since rudy was acquired, and while i maintain very cautious optimism about the work vlade is doing as gm, there is once again no reason to believe that the players feel the same way. the kings' draft selections send mixed signals about what the future holds for this franchise, and even though the team's free agency signings represented short-term prudence, they also don't inspire any kind of excitement. vlade kept the team from being locked into weighty long-term deals for mediocre players, but with the kings, it's always a culture of "next year." as in, "next year" will be the year we hit it big in the draft, or "next year" will be the year we sign a worthy free agent, or "next year" will be the year we turn the corner.

then there's sacramento itself. it's not exactly cosmopolitan, nor has it ever held much appeal for major nba talent. yes, the kings will open the 2016-2017 season in a fantastic new arena, and while that matters to kings fans, i imagine it matters much less to the players. they will surely enjoy playing in a world class arena, but i also imagine the average nba player is much more compelled by circumstances beyond the building they play in 41 times a season. sacramento remains a small market franchise with a poor track record of success and a recent history of dysfunction that any player of note would happily escape (the big bad boogie cousins excepted, interestingly enough).

rudy gay is 30 years old. he's playing for his last major contract in the nba. he's playing out the remaining years of his prime. and with no signs that the kings are about to become serious playoff contenders anytime soon, i haven't the slightest problem with rudy deciding that he'd like to move on. but to paint rudy's desire to leave as some kind of referendum against demarcus cousins is an especially putrid brand of confirmation bias from a poster who's long been an evangelist for the boogie bashing set.
What does this even mean? It means nothing. Its an empty sentiment:

it's much more likely that demarcus' behavior is but a component of a much larger thought process for rudy.
Rudy said word for word "you can bring in any coach here or whatever..." but ultimately it is about the players coming together. He effectively discounted the importance of coaching and you want to ignore his words and if you do not want to ignore his words listen to the interview again. You ignore evidence to the detriment of your own assertion. I would agree with you that Rudy is less than enthusiastic about hiring of Joerger, and that is because Rudy KNOWS one constant remains, and that constant is Boogie.

Rudy has never inferred or asserted any sort of issue with Vlade. I do not see that as compelling argument as to why Rudy would want out related to our GM. Have his moves been so egregious as to invalidate his status? Yeah I don't think so. Rudy implied to the contrary in this interview, as a matter of fact, that the lines of communication are open, and that he has had made his preferences clear, and that if Vlade can accommodate Rudy and his wishes and if interest of both parties he will do so.

In other words, we are not giving him away.

And again, you ignore the evidence smack dab in your face when Rudy says that lack of winning or losing is "only part of it". Every player wants to win, every player wants to win the ring, make it to the Finals, but he said POINT BLANK there is more to it than that. He loves the city. He said coaching is a secondary factor more or less, there is zero compelling evidence he has some sort of feud going on with Vlade or Vivek.....so where does that leave us? It leaves is with a hot head in the locker room and on the court who has been in almost constant feud with refs and coaches and dismissive of less talented teammates (making Stauskas cry for goodness sake!)

Ans it is ridiculous you want to assert Rudy would have a problem with Sacramento being "not exactly cosmopolitan" when he said "I LOVE SACRAMENTO"....So he's a liar or what?

To refute your final statement, it is a mischaracterization when I said consistently this summer I am optimistic that Boogie is primed to have his BEST YEAR EVER because he's in the best shape of his career after being FAT and having foot tendonitis in both feet. I questioned his effort and hustle last year which in retrospect occurred rightfully so. He was slow in transition and disrespected his opponent. This was function of suboptimal conditioning (weight and injury) and a valid criticism, not me being an evangelist or other silly argument from the collection of Boogie apologist, who need to expect more in terms of leadership and efficiency not more of the same.

Last edited:
I've said this before, but I guess you weren't paying attention. James Ham ( who sees these guys in ways we never will ), said that he has never seen any indication that Rudy and Cousins don't get along. He said he has got the impression from Rudy, that Rudy thinks their games don't mesh well with one another.

I have seen this same sediment from many other writers around the Kings (podcasts, twitter, etc.) I even heard Grant Napear (who is always quick to say something negative about Cousins ) asked about them not getting along and he said there was no evidence of that.
Sometimes the mind sees what it wants to see. Blob, you look so hard to find anything negative in regards to Cousins that you turn things that way when there is nothing to see.
James Ham has no special insight other than a good view for the games. The guy used to post over a Sactown Royalty and wrote a fan post way back in the day declaring LeBron James as a coward for going to Miami. This was an egregious assessment of his decision to go from Cleveland to South Beach. I told him so at the time. So Ham is not some know all end all. He's just a dude with a press pass. And again I would remind you that I am one of the first to acknowledge the immense talents of Boogie. I said from Day 1 the only thing preventing him for superstardom was physical conditioning. I think even if he doesn't mature any more, and still leads the league in technical fouls this season, he can still be a positive force on the floor if he consistently hustles on defense, avoiding foul trouble, and uses his size and agility advantage on offense. I have never swayed from this sentiment.

It has only been when he has failed to live up to this expectation, with specific benchmarks (55% TS over 1.0 assist to turnover, and consistent defensive effort) that I have not hesitated to call him out.

What does this even mean? It means nothing. Its an empty sentiment.

Rudy said word for word "you can bring in any coach here or whatever..." but ultimately it is about the players coming together. He effectively discounted the importance of coaching and you want to ignore his words and if you do not want to ignore his words listen to the interview again. You ignore evidence to the detriment of your own assertion. I would agree you that Rudy is less than enthusiastic about hiring of Joerger, and that is because Rudy KNOWS one constant remains, and that constant is Boogie.

Rudy has never inferred or asserted any sort of issue with Vlade. I do not see that as compelling argument as to why Rudy would want out related to our GM. Have his moves been so egregious as to invalidate his status? Yeah I don't think so. Rudy implied to the contrary in this interview, as a matter of fact, that the lines of communication or open, and that he has had made his preferences clear, and that if Vlade can accommodate Rudy and his wishes and if interest of both parties he will do so.

In other words, we are not giving him away.

And again, you ignore the evidence smack dab in your face when Rudy says that lack of winning or losing is "only part of it". Every player wants to win, every player wants to win the ring, make it to the Finals, but he said POINT BLANK there is more to it than that. He loves the city. He said coaching is a secondary factor more or less, there is zero compelling evidence he has some sort of feud going on with Vlade or Vivek.....so where does that leave us? It leaves is with a hot head in the locker room and on the court who has been in almost constant feud with refs and coaches and dismissive of less talented teammates (making Stauskas cry for goodness sake!)

Ans it is ridiculous you want to assert Rudy would have a problem with Sacramento being "not exactly cosmopolitan" when he said "I LOVE SACRAMENTO"....So he's a liar or what?

To refute your final statement, it is a mischaracterization when I said consistently this summer I am optimistic that Boogie is primed to have his BEST YEAR EVER because he's in the best shape of his career after being FAT and having foot tendonitis in both feet. I questioned his effort and hustle last year which in retrospect occurred rightfully so. He was slow in transition and disrespected his opponent. This was function of suboptimal conditioning (weight and injury) and a valid criticism, not me being an evangelist or other silly argument from the collection of Boogie apologist, who need to expect more in terms of leadership and efficiency not more of the same.
After seeing the interview and my assessment of the other interviews I think that discord with Cousins may play a singular role, although I think other things are at play - including being offended at being shopped and the teams underachievement. Meaning if things don't get better on the court he will leave for a playoff team regardless if Cousins and him were best buds. Maybe he is such a good guy that he doesn't want the team hanging asset wise, so he is warning of departure?

But where does that leave us? Cousins isn't going anywhere most likely because management/ownership view him as an elite commodity who really can't even be moved due how he is undervalued (reputation/olympics). But most of all he's an emotional young adult (mid twenties) who was placed in a difficult situation for himself (hating the coach and dysfunctional atmosphere). The franchise's best bet it his maturity so is it best to complain about him or support him?

Even if Rudy was indirectly singling him out, that approach can be interpreted in different ways. Instead of thinking "I hate this guy and need out", maybe this is his way of being a leader, and inspiring Cousins to become a better player through the media?

As for Cousins play, again, the team quit on Karl and were actually playing to get him fired a lot of the year, I want to see Cousins with a coach I trust him with on the court/relationship before making determinations. His field goal % and turnovers and defense can improve by playing with a coach he doesn't despise and subconsciously wants fired (I know you like psychology)

Glenn

Hall of Famer

Well put as usual young man. I know people have been discussing Rudy and I don't have a clue what people have said. He's a talented man and I don't want to see him go. We need to show we can retain stars or partial stars for once.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
After seeing the interview and my assessment of the other interviews I think that discord with Cousins may play a singular role, although I think other things are at play - including being offended at being shopped and the teams underachievement. Meaning if things don't get better on the court he will leave for a playoff team regardless if Cousins and him were best buds. Maybe he is such a good guy that he doesn't want the team hanging asset wise, so he is warning of departure?

But where does that leave us? Cousins isn't going anywhere most likely because management/ownership view him as an elite commodity who really can't even be moved due how he is undervalued (reputation/olympics). But most of all he's an emotional young adult (mid twenties) who was placed in a difficult situation for himself (hating the coach and dysfunctional atmosphere). The franchise's best bet it his maturity so is it best to complain about him or support him?

Even if Rudy was indirectly singling him out, that approach can be interpreted in different ways. Instead of thinking "I hate this guy and need out", maybe this is his way of being a leader, and inspiring Cousins to become a better player through the media?

As for Cousins play, again, the team quit on Karl and were actually playing to get him fired a lot of the year, I want to see Cousins with a coach I trust him with on the court/relationship before making determinations. His field goal % and turnovers and defense can improve by playing with a coach he doesn't despise and subconsciously wants fired (I know you like psychology)
I'm confused. It was reported that at seasons end, Gay, or perhaps his agent approached Vlade and requested a trade. So if that report is true, then how can Gay be offended by being shopped? To these tired old eye's, it appeared that Gay was upset that a trade hadn't taken place, and that he hadn't heard much from the front office in regards to that subject. To which Vlade responded, saying that Gay had his phone number. No where in all of this have I heard Cousins name mentioned, except on this forum. There has been nothing factual that I know about as far as Cousins is concerned.

Personally I think Gay felt left out of the offense last season when one of his best friends, Rondo, who he lobbied to come to the Kings, seemed to have better chemistry with Cousins than he did Gay. So by seasons end, I think Gay felt he didn't fit well on this team, and requested to be moved to another team, preferably a contender. Look, I don't blame Gay for wanted to move on. He's not getting any younger, and I'm sure he would like to go out a winner if possible. Unfortunately we don't always get what we wish for.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well put as usual young man. I know people have been discussing Rudy and I don't have a clue what people have said. He's a talented man and I don't want to see him go. We need to show we can retain stars or partial stars for once.
I think the bottom line is, does he fit what the Kings are doing, and if yes, than can they convince him to resign with the team again? If they can't, and he opts out at years end, then he walks and we end up with nothing out of the deal. We've already been down this road with Tyreke and IT. At years end, the Kings have zero leverage. Now if the plan is to just let him walk and gain the capspace, then fine. I don't like that plan, but at least its a plan. It's one thing to say that your not going to give him away, when if fact if you don't trade him, and he walks, that's exactly what your doing. I still think there's going to be a trade. I don't see where they have a choice if he's intent on leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.