WOJ: Rudy Gay informs Kings he'll opt out and likely not return

Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
...And apparently, Vivek doesn't want to. At least according to Woj.
I don't think Vlade is going to be constrained by which Vivek does or doesn't want in regards to any one player. I'm willing to bet that final authority in that regard was one of the key points V & V addressed before Divac but pen to paper to agree to take the job in the first place.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I don't think Vlade is going to be constrained by which Vivek does or doesn't want in regards to any one player. I'm willing to bet that final authority in that regard was one of the key points V & V addressed before Divac but pen to paper to agree to take the job in the first place.
I pray to god that your right. Ultimately, Vivek has the power to do whatever he wants, and when it comes to a teams top players, you usually have to get the OK from the owner before trading one of them. Vivek tends to march to a different drummer and it's been a problem in the past. I understand that he's a smart guy, and wants to impart some of that into the franchise. But part of being smart is to realize you don't know what you don't know. Not sure he's gotten there yet. I hope he has.

Have you ever watched a certain YouTube video over and over, waiting for the time that Robert Horry's shot finally clanks off the backboard and you get yanked out of the nightmare back into the real world? Yeah, me too.
Every time I think of that I say credit Vlade for the assist to Horry.
Swats the previous missed missed shot right to him rather than pulling down the rebound.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Every time I think of that I say credit Vlade for the assist to Horry.
Swats the previous missed missed shot right to him rather than pulling down the rebound.
He couldn't grab it for the rebound. He swatted it away to get it as far away from the hoop as possible so time could run out. The fact Horry was standing there was fate. Webb realized it too late and made a last-ditch effort to swat away Horry's shot but to no avail. It was not Vlade's fault. :mad:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I pray to god that your right. Ultimately, Vivek has the power to do whatever he wants, and when it comes to a teams top players, you usually have to get the OK from the owner before trading one of them. Vivek tends to march to a different drummer and it's been a problem in the past. I understand that he's a smart guy, and wants to impart some of that into the franchise. But part of being smart is to realize you don't know what you don't know. Not sure he's gotten there yet. I hope he has.
Vivek has been on his best behavior and I don't think that's going to change over Rudy Gay. We'll see what happens but I'm trusting that Vivek will let Vlade do what's best for the team.

Vivek has been on his best behavior and I don't think that's going to change over Rudy Gay. We'll see what happens but I'm trusting that Vivek will let Vlade do what's best for the team.
Yeah, Vivek may want to keep Rudy but surely his recent staying out of the picture must mean hes learned something.
Im not sure when training camp starts but for all involved I believe Rudy gone will be a productive start.

Coming off a 40+ win season with little to no drama vs. coming off a 33 win season with mass amounts of drama & dysfunction isn't a good enough reason? Get out of here....

If we show we can turn it around and get our heads out of our a**es, we will look more attractive to FAs. It's really that simple. Sure Gay & Collison will be expiring, but if we show that we can in fact win with Cousins as "the guy," if we show that we can get through a season with little to no drama, & if we can show the culture here in Sacramento has changed and that it is not a miserable team to play for, we are going to appear much more attractive to FAs.

It still might take a pretty penny to get someone to come to Sacramento, but the difference is now players have seen you can actually be successful with a team led by Cousins (right now, many players see a talented big who isn't leading his team anywhere) or that they won't be in a toxic, drama filled environment that will make them miserable all season. Would you rather be miserable all season and make $12 mil or happy all season and make $11 mil? Personally, I think one's happiness is more important than money so it's a pretty easy choice from my perspective, but to each their own..
Man this debate bores the hell outta me. It's especially tiresome, when emotions get involved and it's more about, who is right in a virtual debate, than about the fun to communicate with other Kings fans. You know things like "get out of here" or "you have difficulties to understand reality" don't help. You are entitled to your opinion and I think at this point we are just wasting each others time.
Look we signed decent FA's after a season during which we went through 3 coaches in total. Koufos, Rondo - both mid-tier guys. Of course we could debate, if they were the right kind of players or why we were able to sign them, but still we were able to sign them even after a tumultous season. We improved our record last season. In fact it was our best record since 2008. Of course we can take the melodramatic approach and tell ourselves, that last year was a desaster, but in fact DMC displayed versatility and dominance and got voted directly into his second all star appearance and was a key component for Team USA. Most of the blame for the underwhelming result was assigned to Karl (at least that's what I was reading via the media). Now we signed a respected, overachieving coach during this offseason (btw. a great move by Vlade!), but somehow people believe we still can't sign any mid tier FA. I personally don't think this is very reasonable, but to each their own.

Why you believe, that next offseason the Kings will have an easier time to sign FA's is beyond me, because I judge the Gay, DMC and DC situation entirely different. But this is a point, where we both don't know what will happen. Like Bajaden rightfully pointed out a few weeks ago I'm a guy, who doesn't take a very positive approach to the future of the Kings. He made a perfectly valid claim with that. You on the other hand tend to look at the bright side and I'm certainly not telling you to stop with that. We both will know soon enough, what will happen. But even if you don't like it - I will remain skeptical until proven otherwise. I think a fan board lives from different opinions and approaches, so I don't think this should be much of a problem as long as I provide solid reasoning, which I did even though it doesn't make sense to repeat everything over and over again and don't act like a know-it-all.

I explained why I have difficulties to understand our current strategy. I have explained, why I'm skeptical to the argument, that our situation will improve next offseason.
The only things, that get brought up again and again are an outlook into an uncertain future and the opinion, that SAc just can't sign FA, which is presented as some undeniable fact.
Where is the point in continuing this debate?

Because you know......

I can't wait for the games to begin:) It is going to take time for this new Kings team to gel. And I know the critics are sharpening their tongues to pierce the New Coaching staff and Players from the first game. But IMO you won't know what kind of team you have until 30 to 40 games into the season. Fortunately the Kings have some veterans that know the NBA game so the Team could gel quickly.

As for Rudy Gay it is in his best interest to come into Training Camp in good shape and with a good attitude. After all it is a contract year for Rudy. Who knows maybe the winds of change will blow Rudy into wanting to make it work in Sacramento. I remember when CWebb was traded here and the whole "No Soul Food" complaint. And that turned out pretty good!

One other thing of note. If the Kings do start playing well and winning some games Rudy has $14,263,566 reasons to just opt in to his contract for next season. I mean what if he does not get a new contract that large?

Man this debate bores the hell outta me. It's especially tiresome, when emotions get involved and it's more about, who is right in a virtual debate, than about the fun to communicate with other Kings fans. You know things like "get out of here" or "you have difficulties to understand reality" don't help. You are entitled to your opinion and I think at this point we are just wasting each others time.
It's not emotional (at least from my side). It's just easy to see why it is so hard to lure FAs here with our current reputation. Taking the position of "none of that matters and Vlade should still be bringing good players here because that is his job" is a weak stance and one that either doesn't know the entirety of our situation or is willingly choosing to ignore it. You seem to be the former.

Look we signed decent FA's after a season during which we went through 3 coaches in total. Koufos, Rondo - both mid-tier guys. Of course we could debate, if they were the right kind of players or why we were able to sign them, but still we were able to sign them even after a tumultous season.
Rondo was really unwanted goods that offseason. He took a 1 year deal with us to try and get a better deal the very next year. Koufos is a decent player, but you're right, he wasn't the right fit with our best player. And I think Koufos ultimately signing with us had a lot to do with Karl and his history with him, but we'll never know for sure.

We improved our record last season. In fact it was our best record since 2008. Of course we can take the melodramatic approach and tell ourselves, that last year was a desaster,
You're right. We can definitely take that optimistic approach, but our team was more talented this last year. I'm not surprised we finished with a better record, but this argument is similar to saying (and I'm going to make it extreme to prove a point) that the Cavs should be happy if after the 2013-14 season (when they finished with 33 wins) they won 38 games the very next year after acquiring LeBron & Love. They improved their record! Let's celebrate! No, the team expectations were higher just like the team expectations were higher with the Kings.

but in fact DMC displayed versatility and dominance and got voted directly into his second all star appearance and was a key component for Team USA. Most of the blame for the underwhelming result was assigned to Karl (at least that's what I was reading via the media). Now we signed a respected, overachieving coach during this offseason (btw. a great move by Vlade!), but somehow people believe we still can't sign any mid tier FA. I personally don't think this is very reasonable, but to each their own.
First of all, Cousins' "dominance" last year gets overstated (Blob has done a good job at explaining why). He was inefficient on offense with a 35% usage rate. Scoring 27 PPG isn't all that impressive as some make it out to be if you're doing it inefficiently. In fact, his offensive contribution wasn't all that great as he only had a 0.34 ORAPM. The past few years, Cousins has made the majority of his contribution on the defensive side of the ball.

Signing a good coach isn't enough. Players still don't know if the culture has changed. Players still don't know how Joerger and Cousins will workout together. Players need that evidence. Why take the risk signing here and being involved in the dysfunction when you can simply go somewhere else and not have to worry about it? We have to show everyone we're on the right track.

Why you believe, that next offseason the Kings will have an easier time to sign FA's is beyond me, because I judge the Gay, DMC and DC situation entirely different. But this is a point, where we both don't know what will happen. Like Bajaden rightfully pointed out a few weeks ago I'm a guy, who doesn't take a very positive approach to the future of the Kings. He made a perfectly valid claim with that. You on the other hand tend to look at the bright side and I'm certainly not telling you to stop with that. We both will know soon enough, what will happen. But even if you don't like it - I will remain skeptical until proven otherwise. I think a fan board lives from different opinions and approaches, so I don't think this should be much of a problem as long as I provide solid reasoning, which I did even though it doesn't make sense to repeat everything over and over again and don't act like a know-it-all.
I totally understand this, but I wouldn't say I am taking the "bright side" approach. I'm simply understanding our current situation and not getting up & arms about things that were not even possible to begin with. Signing good FAs this offseason was not realistic. Hence, I'm neither upset nor blame our FO. It's like being upset when you don't win the lottery. It's an unrealistic expectation.

I explained why I have difficulties to understand our current strategy. I have explained, why I'm skeptical to the argument, that our situation will improve next offseason.
The only things, that get brought up again and again are an outlook into an uncertain future and the opinion, that SAc just can't sign FA, which is presented as some undeniable fact.
Saying "Sac just can sign FA" is not necessarily what I'm saying. I'm saying we can't sign good FAs currently. Change the culture, minimize the drama, begin to change perceptions, get closer to that 40 win mark, and you'll garner more interest next year.

One other thing of note. If the Kings do start playing well and winning some games Rudy has $14,263,566 reasons to just opt in to his contract for next season. I mean what if he does not get a new contract that large?
He'll opt out unless he has a bad injury and needs to prove himself. Afflalo just got $2 mil less than that. Arron Afflalo. Now that's not to say we can't change his mind if the team does well and he chooses to resign with us. I just don't think it's realistic to hold out hope for him to opt in, but I've seen crazier things in my days...

It's not emotional (at least from my side). It's just easy to see why it is so hard to lure FAs here with our current reputation. Taking the position of "none of that matters and Vlade should still be bringing good players here because that is his job" is a weak stance and one that either doesn't know the entirety of our situation or is willingly choosing to ignore it. You seem to be the former.

Rondo was really unwanted goods that offseason. He took a 1 year deal with us to try and get a better deal the very next year. Koufos is a decent player, but you're right, he wasn't the right fit with our best player. And I think Koufos ultimately signing with us had a lot to do with Karl and his history with him, but we'll never know for sure.

You're right. We can definitely take that optimistic approach, but our team was more talented this last year. I'm not surprised we finished with a better record, but this argument is similar to saying (and I'm going to make it extreme to prove a point) that the Cavs should be happy if after the 2013-14 season (when they finished with 33 wins) they won 38 games the very next year after acquiring LeBron & Love. They improved their record! Let's celebrate! No, the team expectations were higher just like the team expectations were higher with the Kings.

First of all, Cousins' "dominance" last year gets overstated (Blob has done a good job at explaining why). He was inefficient on offense with a 35% usage rate. Scoring 27 PPG isn't all that impressive as some make it out to be if you're doing it inefficiently. In fact, his offensive contribution wasn't all that great as he only had a 0.34 ORAPM. The past few years, Cousins has made the majority of his contribution on the defensive side of the ball.

Signing a good coach isn't enough. Players still don't know if the culture has changed. Players still don't know how Joerger and Cousins will workout together. Players need that evidence. Why take the risk signing here and being involved in the dysfunction when you can simply go somewhere else and not have to worry about it? We have to show everyone we're on the right track.

I totally understand this, but I wouldn't say I am taking the "bright side" approach. I'm simply understanding our current situation and not getting up & arms about things that were not even possible to begin with. Signing good FAs this offseason was not realistic. Hence, I'm neither upset nor blame our FO. It's like being upset when you don't win the lottery. It's an unrealistic expectation.

Saying "Sac just can sign FA" is not necessarily what I'm saying. I'm saying we can't sign good FAs currently. Change the culture, minimize the drama, begin to change perceptions, get closer to that 40 win mark, and you'll garner more interest next year.
Ok whatever mate. Just makes zero sense to continue this. :rolleyes:

Ok whatever mate. Just makes zero sense to continue this. :rolleyes:
Not to harp, but it seemed like you were doing this with Rudy's value as well. Maybe holding Vlade personally accountable for Rudy's return, as if another GM would probably net a better result

Vlade is unproven, and has made questionable decisions, but somethings are beyond his wherewithal in examining him as a GM IMO

Not to harp, but it seemed like you were doing this with Rudy's value as well. Maybe holding Vlade personally accountable for Rudy's return, as if another GM would probably net a better result

Vlade is unproven, and has made questionable decisions, but somethings are beyond his wherewithal in examining him as a GM IMO
I would also point out that when the Kings were one of the best and most exciting teams in the league, they still struggled to get good FAs to come to town.

1. Vlade is partially accountable for Rudy's return. It's his job as a GM.
2. I never wrote a different GM would net a better result and never denied, that there are things out of Vlade's control. I even made the honest statement, that it is way too early to judge Vlade as a GM.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
How much sense does it make to take the chances to sign FA from more than a decade ago as a reference for our current team building process?
How much sense does it make to not?

This franchise has been in Sacramento for 30 years now, three decades, about 40% of the entire history of the NBA. And in all those years not ONCE, not one single time have the Kings ever signed a bigger free agent than Vlade Divac, who, when the Kings signed him was coming off a year spent platooning alongside Matt Geiger, and may have joined us as much out of a desire to return to California as anything. And that was it, our highlight signing. Given where Vlade was in his career at the time, maybe a 6 out of 10. Never signed anybody as big during all the good years. Nor all the bad before or after.

Free agency just isn't an effective tool for the Sacramento Kings. In fact you know who might be the most talented free agent ever signed by the Kings? Rajon Rondo. Signable only because he was coming off a scandal of sorts. 2nd most talented of all time? Could easily be Ty Lawson, also coming off a scandal. (unless you count the aging Jim Jackson for his talent when younger, and I think he also signed at the last minute when nobody else would take him). But free agents in actual demand have made the Kings place on the totem pole 100% clear for decades now. And now, off of 10 straight lottery seasons, is hardly the time when they were suddenly going to change their mind. If we're ever going to change that, we will absolutely need to be coming off a winning season, with an established star, and then MAYBE.

This franchise has been in Sacramento for 30 years now, three decades, about 40% of the entire history of the NBA. And in all those years not ONCE, not one single time have the Kings ever signed a bigger free agent than Vlade Divac, who, when the Kings signed him was coming off a year spent platooning alongside Matt Geiger, and may have joined us as much out of a desire to return to California as anything. And that was it, our highlight signing. Given where Vlade was in his career at the time, maybe a 6 out of 10. Never signed anybody as big during all the good years. Nor all the bad before or after.

Free agency just isn't an effective tool for the Sacramento Kings. In fact you know who might be the most talented free agent ever signed by the Kings? Rajon Rondo. Signable only because he was coming off a scandal of sorts. 2nd most talented of all time? Could easily be Ty Lawson, also coming off a scandal. (unless you count the aging Jim Jackson for his talent when younger, and I think he also signed at the last minute when nobody else would take him). But free agents in actual demand have made the Kings place on the totem pole 100% clear for decades now. And now, off of 10 straight lottery seasons, is hardly the time when they were suddenly going to change their mind. If we're ever going to change that, we will absolutely need to be coming off a winning season, with an established star, and then MAYBE.
You are excluding any factors outside us being the Sacramento Kings from your analysis. I certainly tend to disagree with the thesis, that we can't sign any solid FA, because we never signed any solid FA's outside of Vlade Divac.

But like I already said - let's assume you are right:

In this case we will always have difficulties to improve (because by your logic we had difficulties even as a successful team to sign FA, so one little season of mediocre success after a decade of misery won't change anything for us now) this team via FA, than our only hope to build a decent playoff team is via the draft. Building through the draft is not possible in a short time frame and having a healthy DMC on the team is a drawback for this kind of strategy, because he ensures we pick in the late lottery.
At this point you can take all the wasted draft picks of the more recent years as a reason, why we are in a bad situation right now. You can blame PDA, Karl, Corbin or Vivek. But still you won't change our future outlook.
And the two way strategy the Kings are using right now, still looks like a halfhearted compromise of trying to win now, while keeping an eye on the future.
A two way strategy, which isn't ultimately necessary in a league without any relegation system and which, when taking the competence of our ownership and the experience of our GM into account, is extremely risky.

Please note, that this isn't my line of thought, but more like a conclusion based on your thesis.
A conclusion, that somehow most people around here try to ignore. ;)

You are excluding any factors outside us being the Sacramento Kings from your analysis. I certainly tend to disagree with the thesis, that we can't sign any solid FA, because we never signed any solid FA's outside of Vlade Divac.

In this case we will always have difficulties to improve (because by your logic we had difficulties even as a successful team to sign FA, so one little season of mediocre success after a decade of misery won't change anything for us now) this team via FA, than our only hope to build a decent playoff team is via the draft...

Please note, that this isn't my line of thought, but more like a conclusion based on your thesis.
Trades are the way too, that is the way Kings acquired golden team of 2000 quickly.

Once having a talent, you have to keep it. That is where being a joke of the league matters too.

You seems to be dealing in absolutes. Nobody said that it is impossible to get free agents for Kings, just that it is very difficult. Everything that makes Kings to be less awful franchise, increases slightly chances for free agents, reduces the amount Kings would have to overpay to get them and increases chances to keep the existing talent.

To be clear, even after stellar season next year, Kings will have to overpay to get top talent if they get any shot at all.

Trades are the way too, that is the way Kings acquired golden team of 2000 quickly.

Once having a talent, you have to keep it. That is where being a joke of the league matters too.

You seems to be dealing in absolutes. Nobody said that it is impossible to get free agents for Kings, just that it is very difficult. Everything that makes Kings to be less awful franchise, increases slightly chances for free agents, reduces the amount Kings would have to overpay to get them and increases chances to keep the existing talent.

To be clear, even after stellar season next year, Kings will have to overpay to get top talent if they get any shot at all.
True, but you have to give something in trades in order to recieve something.
I'm the one dealing in absolutes? I'm getting told, that I shouldn't complain about our offseason, because we are the Kings and we can't sign decent FA's now, because even back when we were a contender for the championship we had difficulties signing FA's and couldn't sign anyone decent outside of Vlade Divac. Even the slightest criticism to the moves the Kings made this offseason, gets rejected immidiately while stating that I don't understand the Kings situation or have lost the sense for reality. Please go ahead and correct me, if I got the essence of the various posts directed at me wrong. Because all I did in my previous post was to draw a conclusion out of the pessimistic approach some take when it comes to FA for the Kings.
A harsh and difficultly to swallow conclusion, a conclusion I don't want to become reality, but still it appears somewhat logical to me.

What's strange to me is, that Bricky is the most die hard DMC supporter on this forum, but is ruling out FA as a promising way to severely improve the Kings right now. I think we all agree, that improving this team through trades is a very difficult task too with Gay as our only tradeable piece with some value left, if we don't want to include WCS. So assuming FA isn't the way to go forward or will net us underwhelming results anyway (you know we couldn't even sign someone in our glory days), how do we go from here?
Barring a break out season from one of our young guys, I have a very difficult time imagining how we are turning this thing around in the circumstances the majority around here is taking for granted.

I'm the one dealing in absolutes? I'm getting told, that I shouldn't complain about our offseason, because we are the Kings and we can't sign decent FA's now, because even back when we were a contender for the championship we had difficulties signing FA's and couldn't sign anyone decent outside of Vlade Divac. Even the slightest criticism to the moves the Kings made this offseason, gets rejected immidiately while stating that I don't understand the Kings situation or have lost the sense for reality. Please go ahead and correct me, if I got the essence of the various posts directed at me wrong. Because all I did in my previous post was to draw a conclusion out of the pessimistic approach some take when it comes to FA for the Kings.
A harsh and difficultly to swallow conclusion, a conclusion I don't want to become reality, but still it appears somewhat logical to me.

What's strange to me is, that Bricky is the most die hard DMC supporter on this forum, but is ruling out FA as a promising way to severely improve the Kings right now. I think we all agree, that improving this team through trades is a very difficult task too with Gay as our only tradeable piece with some value left, if we don't want to include WCS. So assuming FA isn't the way to go forward or will net us underwhelming results anyway (you know we couldn't even sign someone in our glory days), how do we go from here?
Barring a break out season from one of our young guys, I have a very difficult time imagining how we are turning this thing around in the circumstances the majority around here is taking for granted.
First of all, there are a lot of reasons to complain about this franchise. You should not feel that you have to quiet down.
Second, I appreciate your time, and unlike some other posters that seems to crave attention, you are having consistent, thought out position.

Percieved reality, which I think is correct, is that Kings have difficulty to attract free agents. Statement supported by history of the franchise.
Not that it is impossible, just very difficult. Nothing to be positive about here.

If Kings managed to sign a high tier FA this season, it would be a miracle for me.

That is why when you criticize this offseason because we did not sign good enough FA's, it can come off as being detached from reality.

It is funny that you seems to actually be more optimistic than most of the board with the chances Kings had this offseason to sharply turn the things around, and then disappointed that it seems not to happen.

For me, I believe that slow approach is the most possible way by far. Whether we have time or not, I do not think we have much of a choice.

Specifically, in the order of positive development this offseason:
- New proven young coach on the same page as GM
- Kings management has a clear vision of the play style identity and almost all new folks fit into the mold (exception Lawson). What exactly that identity is is secondary to me. Just happened to be gritty blue color approach which I think will benefit our top player.
- We covered a glaring hole at SG with the ok starting quality veteran (Afflallo) as a stop gap measure, and some potential long term solutions at this position.
- We did not overpay and tie our hands by swinging for the fences with FA crop this year

Cheers

Kingster

Hall of Famer
As Kings fans, we have a millennia of experience when it comes to new coaches over the last 10 years. We know that it's unlikely the Kings will start the season strong because of it - it's a new system, new coach, yada yada. I just wonder how a slow start might affect the mentality of this team.

Don't disagree with the sentiment but have to quibble with the details. I think Brad Miller counts as the biggest free agent acquired by the franchise.

Sure, it was technically a sign and trade. But I see no reason why a sign and trade should not count: the player is a free agent, and still chooses his destination team. For the purposes of measuring a team's desirability as a free agent, a sign and trade should still count.

And I think Miller was a bigger pull than Vlade, given that he had already been an all star and was the starting center on one of the east's best teams. The Jazz and the Spurs were also in the mix for his services at the time, if I recall correctly, the Spurs had to settle for Rasho.

So, I think that, if everything is lined up correctly, we can sign an all star free agent. I just don't think we should necessarily plan on it at this juncture.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Look we signed decent FA's after a season during which we went through 3 coaches in total. Koufos, Rondo - both mid-tier guys. Of course we could debate, if they were the right kind of players or why we were able to sign them, but still we were able to sign them even after a tumultous season. We improved our record last season. In fact it was our best record since 2008. Of course we can take the melodramatic approach and tell ourselves, that last year was a desaster, but in fact DMC displayed versatility and dominance and got voted directly into his second all star appearance and was a key component for Team USA. Most of the blame for the underwhelming result was assigned to Karl (at least that's what I was reading via the media). Now we signed a respected, overachieving coach during this offseason (btw. a great move by Vlade!), but somehow people believe we still can't sign any mid tier FA. I personally don't think this is very reasonable, but to each their own.

Where is the point in continuing this debate?

Because you know......

I'd like to interject a thought into this discussion if you'll allow me. First of all, I agree to some estent with both of you. I certainly understand your skepticism. Why wouldn't you be skeptical? All you have to go on is the recent past history of the team, and there's nothing there, other than retaining Cousins to be optimistic about. The Kings suffer from an image problem and until they turn that around, they'll struggle to acquire the top free agents. To make matters worse, the clock is ticking on Cousins. He's looking at that image the same way we are.

So from that perspective, this is an important year. By the end of the season, Cousins future will, in all likelyhood will have been determined. As will the teams ability to attract freeagents. Personally, I'm not going to predict that outcome because I really have no idea. I'll remain optimistic until I have a reason not to be. Why? Well because I find that the alternative sucks. Yeah, not a lot of logic involved in that decision. I just can't bring myself to go into a new season with no hope, even if, to some extent, logic dictates I should. However, I understand those that do.

Obtaining a top freeagent requires several things. First, you have to have the money and the cap space. Second, you have to look like your a franchise on the rise, if you not already a contending team. Your front office has to appear stable along with your coaching staff. And you have to have a head coach that has a good reputation that players love to play for. Thirdly, you have to be in a city that players look at as a good place to raise their families, if they have a family. Sacramento isn't for everyone, but it has proven very attractive to many of the players that have passed through.

So being optimistic about the future depends on a lot of IF's. If the Kings can show improvement this season, winning more than 32 games and possibly making, or being in the hunt to make the playoffs, they'll be far more attractive to freeagents. If the front office appears to be stable and speaking with one voice; Something that should have never been an obstacle, will be removed. If Cousins endorses the future of the team, and seems willing to sign an extension, would be a huge plus when it comes to signing free agents.

Of course those are all big ifs, and I don't blame you for being skeptical. At the same time, try and understand those of us that are hoping for a miracle of sorts. Right now, my balloon is full and looking good. That doesn't mean I don't understand the reality of the situation. I just prefer to ignore it for the moment.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
How much sense does it make to take the chances to sign FA from more than a decade ago as a reference for our current team building process?
Well, to be honest, history has a way of repeating itself. If Sacramento wasn't near the top of the free agent wish list when they were winning 50 plus games a year, I think it's reasonable to assume that they might be a tad lower on the list now. While it's logical to see and point out all the reasons for why the Kings are where they are, it's illogical to ignore how those same reasons might affect what the Kings are trying to accomplish. A hole in the boat is a hole in the boat until you fix it. Until then, you continue to sink. Sorry, I love metaphors. Even bad one's.

I know your tired of talking about this, so I'll let it go at that. Peace be with you amigo!

bajaden

Hall of Famer

In this case we will always have difficulties to improve (because by your logic we had difficulties even as a successful team to sign FA, so one little season of mediocre success after a decade of misery won't change anything for us now) this team via FA, than our only hope to build a decent playoff team is via the draft. Building through the draft is not possible in a short time frame and having a healthy DMC on the team is a drawback for this kind of strategy, because he ensures we pick in the late lottery.
At this point you can take all the wasted draft picks of the more recent years as a reason, why we are in a bad situation right now. You can blame PDA, Karl, Corbin or Vivek. But still you won't change our future outlook.
And the two way strategy the Kings are using right now, still looks like a halfhearted compromise of trying to win now, while keeping an eye on the future.
A two way strategy, which isn't ultimately necessary in a league without any relegation system and which, when taking the competence of our ownership and the experience of our GM into account, is extremely risky.

Gonna disagree with you on this one. First, you left trades out of the scenario. The Kings have acquired some big name players in the past through trades. Chris Webber and Mitch Richmond spring to mind. Of course you have to have something to trade with, and that's where the draft can come into play. I'm a big believer in the draft for several reasons. If you draft wisely, you can acquire a very good player for a very cheap price for four years, and have the best shot at resigning that player if you indeed want to resign him. The draft can be the life blood of an organization when it's in the rebuilding stage. The fact that that hasn't worked for us has nothing to do with Cousins.

In 2011 the Kings used their first round pick on Jimmer Fredette when they could have drafted either Klay Thompson or Kawhi Leonard. In 2012 they drafted Thomas Robinson instead of either Damian Lillard, Harrison Barnes, or Andre Drummond. In 2013 they drafted Ben McLemore (which at the time I couldn't fault) instead of C. J. McCollum. So our starting lineup could like like:

Center: DeMarcus Cousins
PF: Willie Cauley Stein
SF: Kawhi Leonard
SG: C. J. McCollum
PG: Damian Lillard

That's not just a dream, but could have actually happened if we had made the right choices. That is a playoff team amigo. Those choices were sitting there for us to make. So were these in that same time period in the second round. In 2011 in the second round, we drafted Tyler Honeycutt instead of Chandler Parsons (who I loved). In 2012 in the second round we drafted Orlando Johnson instead of Khris Middleton (who I loved). In 2013, when we were in need of a shotblocker, we drafted Ray McCallum instead of Jeff Withey (who I was high on). So there was nothing wrong with the draft, just the choices made, and none of it had anything to do with Cousins.

The jury is still out on the draft choices made by Vlade so far. I'm optimistic about a couple of them, and of course next season Bogdan comes over. In all we acquired five players on draft day and if 2 or 3 of them end up being contributors I'm happy. If one of them ends up being a star then I'm thrilled. I think those are reasonable expectations. If this team had been run properly we could have a roster that looked similar to this.

DeMarcus Cousins
Willie Cauley-Stein
Tyreke Evans
Isaiah Thomas
Damian Lillard
Kawhi Leonard
Khris Middleton
Chandler Parsons
C. J. McCullum
Jeff Withey
Skal Labissiere
Malachi Richardson

Now the likelyhood of all these players being on the team at the same time is slim, but I believe it's possible. Whether it would have happened or not doesn't matter. What matters is that all of those players could have worn a Kings uniform and the team would be in an entirely different situation if we had someone that knew what he was doing when the choices were made. I won't pretend to know all the answers, and that I would have made all the right choices, but I'll tell you this, I would have made better choices in many cases.

This is why I am angry with Vivek. Him buying this team (and I take for granted that there are plenty of other billionaires that would have bought the team and helped build an awesome arena) is like Chris Webber blowing out his knee. It was catastrophic for us. We lost 2 years of Cuz' prime, and he is most likely gone.

We need a miracle. We need to ride the new arena hype with an early win streak. Maybe Rudy buys back in, b/c he is a great player and we won't get equal value in return. Then maybe, we can sign a FA. Then maybe, Cuz might want one more shot in Sac. It HAS to be this year or we lose every shred of respect we're clinging to and we're back to losing until we strike gold again.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
This is why I am angry with Vivek. Him buying this team (and I take for granted that there are plenty of other billionaires that would have bought the team and helped build an awesome arena) is like Chris Webber blowing out his knee. It was catastrophic for us. We lost 2 years of Cuz' prime, and he is most likely gone.

We need a miracle. We need to ride the new arena hype with an early win streak. Maybe Rudy buys back in, b/c he is a great player and we won't get equal value in return. Then maybe, we can sign a FA. Then maybe, Cuz might want one more shot in Sac. It HAS to be this year or we lose every shred of respect we're clinging to and we're back to losing until we strike gold again.

Well your right about one thing, there was several billionaires that were willing to buy the team, and help pay for a new arena, but not in Sacramento. If Vivek and company hadn't shown up and saved the team for the city, we wouldn't be having this conversation. I might be upset with Vivek at times because of his meddling, but I will never regret his buying the team.

How quickly we forget. This team was as good as gone. Vivek and the current owners saved the Kings for Sacramento at the last moment. If not for Vivek and Company we would not have a team and Seattle would!

Status
Not open for further replies.