What is it we fans want?

What do the fans want?

• Total voters
The team has gotten worse since the Maloofs left
Not true. The late Maloof teams had no chance of being good when they were trading away draft picks for cash.

The Maloofs (when broke) were not even trying to be good. The current ownership at least wants to win. Their formula/plan is wrong in relation to this roster. Their meddling philosophies with the coach is also way wrong........however I don't question whether this owner wants to win. I know he does and I know he's willing to spend money and make big moves to make it happen.

What does need to happen though is he needs to not only learn the errors he has made but also admit he was wrong. If he does that I think he can turn the team around relatively quickly.

The Maloofs so long as they were broke were not going to turn the team around. When you start trading away draft picks for cash that's not making the wrong basketball move that's saying straightup that we don't care about winning anymore.

I couldn't agree more with Swaze. I strongly suspect that Vivek is all in on building a winning organization. That said, I think that he needs to call "mulligan" as soon as possible on his first 1.5 years as an owner. If he has an iota of self-awareness and has learned from his experiences, he will recognize that he needs to surround himself with people he trusts *and* who will not be his supplicants. He needs to be pushed way outside of his comfort zone, which in some strange twist, means that he is going to have to de-emphasize his need to be disruptive and mix in a healthy dose of basketball traditionalism. If he is able to do this and delegate and trust, we will all reap the benefits, and I think that the formula could be magical. The Kings' future hinges on how quickly he has learned and how quickly he will evolve his approach.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
MOD VOICE - Guys - We have an IGNORE feature for a reason. Not liking someone's posts is not a reason to attack them. While some posters may or may not have ulterior motives for posting, WE MODS will determine if those motives are or are not sufficient reason for them to be banned. Thanks.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Not informing the team OR the fans is one major problem. Not having a plan is another, or if there is one see first sentence. The team has gotten worse but nothing from FO as to solutions. How long can the players take the mystery? Heck, even Nik says he welcomes the D-league for a chance to get minutes (and get his confidence) but Coach says NO, thats not what he needs. But is not giving him much playing time to work things out. HUH???

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Not informing the team OR the fans is one major problem. Not having a plan is another, or if there is one see first sentence. The team has gotten worse but nothing from FO as to solutions. How long can the players take the mystery? Heck, even Nik says he welcomes the D-league for a chance to get minutes (and get his confidence) but Coach says NO, thats not what he needs. But is not giving him much playing time to work things out. HUH???
Using a different line of logic, I think the owners know they screwed up and in a sense have gone into hiding to avoid the wrath of the fans or perhaps to hide their stupidity. I think they will ride out the season is silence with the hope that fans' anger will gradually subside. Without comment on the past, Corbin's contract will run it's course and they will hire a new head coach.

I don't think there is much else they can do that will make a substantial difference. I think they will leave us and the players in ignorance. I do not personally like that managerial style if that's what it can be called. I admire honesty and honesty can make up for a lot of faults. I sense saving ones reputation as being remarkably talented trumps honesty with our owner. Vivek needs almost no prompting to tell the stories of how wonderful and brilliant he is. What has just happened pops that bubble of wonderfulness.

OK, this may just be a fanciful tale on my part. We'll see.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Again, I don't know that I would send Nik down to Reno either. What would he learn? At least the Warriors run the same offense in their DLeague team, to create a seamless transition.

I want the management team to bust their asses to make sure they hire the right coach. Watch every game he coached or played in the 80s, see what the ballboys have to say about his leadership style, ask the garbage man what he eats for breakfast, whatever it takes. DMC is on contract for two more seasons so we need to see significant development in 2015-2016 and playoffs in 2016-2017. Otherwise he's off to Washington and the Kings are back in the dark ages. They have just one shot to make it work.

Vivek Ranadive, Owner, Sacramento Kings will be travelling with the POTUS on a trade mission to India in a few minutes. We all know Obama is a hoops fan... maybe HE can talk some sense into Vivek?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
He was hired to make this team better, which he hasn't done.
Right. He didn't bring in Gay, and collison. Didn't sign cuz to a long term deal...
I had to borrow a bit of a post I made in another thread.

The Kings started 9-5 when they had a healthy Cousins. Even when Malone was fired after DMC missed 10 games the team was still 11-13 and on pace for 37 or 38 wins (37.58 statistically) and I was good with that. Since Corbin has taken over the team has gone 5-13 with Cousins playing in all but two of those games (0-2 in those unsurprisingly) and if they lose to the Warriors tonight they will be 5-14 under Corbin.

And unless that winning percentage changes the Kings will be on pace to win 26 games. Two FEWER than in the last two seasons.

I was geared up for a rebuild when the team was sold. I was fine with that. But from day one this ownership and front office said they were looking to win right away. They said that last year was all about changing the culture and this year was going to be about wins and losses. They fired Malone because they said he helped restore order from chaos but now they needed to "pivot" and change from a Souza marching band to improvisational jazz.

And yet right now they could very possibly manage to win FEWER games this year than the last year of the Maloofs and last season's complete overhaul. Even if they just maintain the overall pace they're at now (bolstered by Malone's start) they're on pace for 30 wins or so. Exactly how has D'Alessandro improved this team? Right now he's barely managed to keep pace with the Maloofs largely due to a move that no one thought needed to be made.

The Maloofs so long as they were broke were not going to turn the team around. When you start trading away draft picks for cash that's not making the wrong basketball move that's saying straightup that we don't care about winning anymore.
And firing a coach that had the locker room for the first time in 10 years, that was exceeding expectations, and was having the team playing defense ... says what exactly? Vivek doesn't care about Kings wins. He cares about playing run n gun.

I want the management team to bust their asses to make sure they hire the right coach. Watch every game he coached or played in the 80s, see what the ballboys have to say about his leadership style, ask the garbage man what he eats for breakfast, whatever it takes. DMC is on contract for two more seasons so we need to see significant development in 2015-2016 and playoffs in 2016-2017. Otherwise he's off to Washington and the Kings are back in the dark ages. They have just one shot to make it work.
That sounds like a lot of work. If management does that, who's left to create meaningless catchphrases and buzzwords for the media?

P

Pace

Patience my friend.
I had to borrow a bit of a post I made in another thread.

The Kings started 9-5 when they had a healthy Cousins. Even when Malone was fired after DMC missed 10 games the team was still 11-13 and on pace for 37 or 38 wins (37.58 statistically) and I was good with that. Since Corbin has taken over the team has gone 5-13 with Cousins playing in all but two of those games (0-2 in those unsurprisingly) and if they lose to the Warriors tonight they will be 5-14 under Corbin.

And unless that winning percentage changes the Kings will be on pace to win 26 games. Two FEWER than in the last two seasons.

I was geared up for a rebuild when the team was sold. I was fine with that. But from day one this ownership and front office said they were looking to win right away. They said that last year was all about changing the culture and this year was going to be about wins and losses. They fired Malone because they said he helped restore order from chaos but now they needed to "pivot" and change from a Souza marching band to improvisational jazz.

And yet right now they could very possibly manage to win FEWER games this year than the last year of the Maloofs and last season's complete overhaul. Even if they just maintain the overall pace they're at now (bolstered by Malone's start) they're on pace for 30 wins or so. Exactly how has D'Alessandro improved this team? Right now he's barely managed to keep pace with the Maloofs largely due to a move that no one thought needed to be made.

And firing a coach that had the locker room for the first time in 10 years, that was exceeding expectations, and was having the team playing defense ... says what exactly? Vivek doesn't care about Kings wins. He cares about playing run n gun.
I think he honestly thought firing Malone was going to make the team better. He said as much.

Obviously he hasn't admitted he was wrong but people seem to have a hard time believing that guys like PDA and Vivek are just wrong. I don't question that Vivek wants to win. It's obvious, he just wants to do it his way. As he is finding out sometimes "his way" isn't what is best.

Do you really think Vivek was hoping to lose and play run-n-gun? Or is it more likely that he wants to win with run-n-gun and he's just wrong since that's not working.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Patience my friend.
I'm a Kings fan. I have no choice but to constantly be patient and hope for something better. Or stop watching altogether.

But this particular discussion was about you asserting that D'Alessandro had improved the team.

Besides, what exactly has D'Alessandro done to earn the patience of any Kings fan?

I'm a Kings fan. I have no choice but to constantly be patient and hope for something better. Or stop watching altogether.

But this particular discussion was about you asserting that D'Alessandro had improved the team.

Besides, what exactly has D'Alessandro done to earn the patience of any Kings fan?
What was that quote that VF21 used to have? Something about Garcia and his follow-up by peeing on it? Great quote, just don't remember the words but the gist is applicable here.

Patience my friend.
Remind me, what are we waiting for to happen? What are we being patient about?

What are we waiting for? A trade? A magic trick? Elephants to fly out of Vivek's ass?

You need to explain your comments or just stop. Evidence based arguing is how it works here. Present something, anything, to support your case.

P

Pace

I've had long winded posts to explain this, and they get ignored. I trust the people who saved this franchise, simple as that.
Remind me, what are we waiting for to happen? What are we being patient about?

What are we waiting for? A trade? A magic trick? Elephants to fly out of Vivek's ass?

You need to explain your comments or just stop. Evidence based arguing is how it works here. Present something, anything, to support your case.

P

Pace

He got collison, and gay. Signed cuz longterm. His boss saved this team.

I've had long winded posts to explain this, and they get ignored. I trust the people who saved this franchise, simple as that.
No, you haven't. You are a one sentence and done kind of poster.

By your response, I'm guessing magical flying elephants is your answer.

Fair enough.

All you have is DC, Rudy and the obvious signing of Cousins?

We aren't winning more with DC than we did with IT. Hard to call that a success unless you're measuring success in some other way. I think people are wondering what you're measuring exactly.

I also am just fascinated at the one remaining person who actually thinks things are right on track.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
He got collison, and gay. Signed cuz longterm. His boss saved this team.
He put together the pieces to a 16-26 team. One that, in his own words, is "Philadelphia bad" without DeMarcus Cousins. How many people looked at the roster before the season began and thought there was a chance the Kings would be a .500 team? And then he fired the coach who WAS getting that team to play well.

D'Alessandro is not Vivek. He was hired AFTER the Kings were saved. He's an employee just like Malone was an employee. And from my vantage point Ranadive fired the wrong guy.

As for Vivek, I haven't been hammering him primarily because of the role he played in keeping the Kings in Sacramento. But let's not pretend he's the sole reason they are still here. The list of people who saved the Kings is enormously long. Ranadive stepped up when Ron Burkle had a conflict which was fantastic, but there were a LOT of people involved from the grassroots fan movement up to Kevin Johnson, David Stern and Adam Silver. Still, Vivek played a crucial role, no doubt. But Pete D'Alessandro had zero to do with the Kings staying and should only be judged on his merits as a GM.

And right now he has a team on pace to win 26-30 games. That's not good enough.