What is it we fans want?

What do the fans want?

• Total voters
I have never seen the fans here this upset. Not even after the Maloofs wafled on the arena deal and tried all those sneaky underhanded things to sell or move the Kings.

I agree the firing of Malone was unexpected. But I wasn't as shocked as some due to losing big games where we had big leads and being very bad when Cousins was out. Still it was probably not the best decision at that time.

The owner has helped save our Sacramento Kings so he gets a pass for this mistake IMO.

PDA has made a lot of good moves up to this point. You can debate it to death but I like our roster better than two years ago. Do you really fire the guy at this point? Not going to happen IMO.

People say we are in a weak position to make trades to improve our bench. The truth is we are in a weak position without a draft pick this year. If we don't make the playoffs but have a mediocre season we will have very little possibility to improve this team any time soon. I hate to say it but... With the plunge in our record after Cousins was out, how much chance did we have at the playoffs?

I hope we hire Karl. But would he come in the middle of the season. I just hope we don't lose a good coach in the mean time.

So I put it to a vote so maybe our expectations can be a bit clearer. There are a lot of people filling the threads with angry rants. It is probably hard to tell what we want. If that is important I don't know.

K

KingMilz

I would like something like what the Atlanta Hawks have had and that's 5 guy who buy into a system and are intelligent hard working unselfish players that don't give up. I don't care which 5-8 players it is just give me these traits and I will live with the outcome.

We just got to many guys missing qualities that winning teams have with there players.

I have never seen the fans here this upset. Not even after the Maloofs wafled on the arena deal and tried all those sneaky underhanded things to sell or move the Kings.

I agree the firing of Malone was unexpected. But I wasn't as shocked as some due to losing big games where we had big leads and being very bad when Cousins was out. Still it was probably not the best decision at that time.

The owner has helped save our Sacramento Kings so he gets a pass for this mistake IMO.

PDA has made a lot of good moves up to this point. You can debate it to death but I like our roster better than two years ago. Do you really fire the guy at this point? Not going to happen IMO.

People say we are in a weak position to make trades to improve our bench. The truth is we are in a weak position without a draft pick this year. If we don't make the playoffs but have a mediocre season we will have very little possibility to improve this team any time soon. I hate to say it but... With the plunge in our record after Cousins was out, how much chance did we have at the playoffs?

I hope we hire Karl. But would he come in the middle of the season. I just hope we don't lose a good coach in the mean time.

So I put it to a vote so maybe our expectations can be a bit clearer. There are a lot of people filling the threads with angry rants. It is probably hard to tell what we want. If that is important I don't know.
I would just like to point out that as far as I'm concerned this statement holds zero water. My only connection to Sacramento and concern that the Kings remain in Sacramento is the respect for the majority of the community on this very forum. Beyond that, as an international fan I could care less that the Kings were in Sacramento or Seattle or whatever. Keep in mind also that part of the NBA 3.0 mantra spewed by Vivek is the increasing globality of the NBA. If that is the case, then arguments that an owner should be absolved of responsibility in putting together a winning team simply because he kept a team in a certain location become increasingly irrelevant. That isn't to say that hometown fans shouldn't be given their due share of respect - they're ultimately the ones who are going to the games live and probably supporting the team most in physical terms.

I would like something like what the Atlanta Hawks have had and that's 5 guy who buy into a system and are intelligent hard working unselfish players that don't give up. I don't care which 5-8 players it is just give me these traits and I will live with the outcome.

We just got to many guys missing qualities that winning teams have with there players.
We would have done well going after Budenholzer (though I doubt he would have come to Sac). Well ... we could always wait another 5 years for another good, REAL Popovich disciple (and not lame ones like Keith Smart)

Plain and simple? I want wins! I want to have the chance to watch playoff basketball as a Kings Fan.
I don't care about playstyles as long as the Kings win.
As stated above - what I really love is watching a team that is on the same page, that has each others back and is working hard, doing the things necessary to win and not to reach the best individual stat sheet.
I couldn't care less who is the coach or the star player as long as the Kings win.

I wanted an owner with some semblance of the patience required to build a winning franchise.

Instead we've wasted the first two seasons of the Ranadive tenure and will be back at the start at the beginning of next year with yet another coach. 3 more coaches wasn't how I saw the first three seasons going.

Karl has mentioned many times he'd like to be here but no one is asking. The person you should be asking "would he" is PDA. He doesn't seem willing to hire a coach he can't control. And he has no chance of controlling Karl. Would he hire a coach that could have some success in a style he doesn't prefer? We do know he'd fire a coach for that reason, even with losing the support of the players and fans being the inevitable result.

But hey, PDA still, for now, has the owners ear. I'd imagine things are getting a little testy among the minority owners who are seeing their bottom line affected by this idiocy.

There's no magic move at this point. The whole thing has basically been burned to the ground. They have to start over and hope the new coach can get the players back, which will in turn get the fans back.

Right now, we are back in the dark days of the Maloofs. Except with a new arena on the way. Admittedly a large difference. But somehow managing on the court has been even worse.

Last edited:
P

Pace

I think this was the plan from the beginning, which is the reason Malone was let go.

J

jdbraver

There is a bigger difference between Vivek and the Maloofs....Vivek actually wants to win. For some reason he has unfortunately bought into the run & gun & no defense game. Also, it's clear he thinks this is a wasted season or he would have replaced PDA by now. Tanking is the plan.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
My idealistic vision of what I want:

One man who is both coach and GM. It prevents the possibility of schism between coach and GM. It encourages accountability because there is no issue of who is to blame - the coach or the GM - when things go wrong. It also prevents players from circumventing a coach to lobby the GM.

An owner, who, once he hires the GM/coach, doesn't meddle.

The coach/GM would have as their goal establishing a motion offense similar to SA. It would certainly encourage running if the opportunities are present, but wouldn't force the issue. Yes, they would also play defense. The decisions on personnel going forward would be consistent with having a motion offense.

Under the above scenario, PDA has to go. Not only does he not have coaching ability, he's shown that he doesn't know what he's doing because the biggest trade he's made so far - Rudy Gay - contradicts his stated philosophy of pace, and because his involvement with the Malone firing has been a disaster.

I think this was the plan from the beginning, which is the reason Malone was let go.
As opposed to now I suppose?

Oh, that's right, give it time. Malone didn't get time, but the the lame duck replacement? That's when patience suddenly became a virtue. Not only that, Boogie's recovery from sickness becomes an excuse, not a reason to fire the coach. I love the malleable circumstances.

We would have done well going after Budenholzer (though I doubt he would have come to Sac). Well ... we could always wait another 5 years for another good, REAL Popovich disciple (and not lame ones like Keith Smart)
To be honest I haven't watched a lot of Hawks games. But how do we know if we hired budenholzer he wouldn't have been fired and we'd be stuck in the same situation. Malone was on pace track of having a +500 season and pda said he would have fired him regardless of a winning record. My guess coming from a pop tree we would have had a former assistant with a defensive minded philosophy not interested in fast paced offense with possibly a +500 record if we hired budenholzer. We all know what happened to the last coach with those qualities. :rolleyes:

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
I want a team, 9 guys who play to win, who get along, who distribute the ball always looking for the best shot and who give 100% effort most of the time. Don't want to see coach have everyone throw the ball into Cuz most of the time creating instant triple teams, high TO's and stifling the offense. Sure Cuz is great but having such a predictable play so often allows defenses to more easily make a mess of it. There are 3 other shooters starting, Ben, Rudy and now DC. Use them more and when Nik is in use him more too. Then Cousins will be open more often for his bang-bang style.

I support Cousins comment "If we try to outscore people, we won't win games. If we play both ends ,we're a tough team to beat." That is the key to winning not a Reno grammar school approach for which I'd never buy a ticket.

To be honest I haven't watched a lot of Hawks games. But how do we know if we hired budenholzer he wouldn't have been fired and we'd be stuck in the same situation. Malone was on pace track of having a +500 season and pda said he would have fired him regardless of a winning record. My guess coming from a pop tree we would have had a former assistant with a defensive minded philosophy not interested in fast paced offense with possibly a +500 record if we hired budenholzer. We all know what happened to the last coach with those qualities. :rolleyes:
Sorry but Budenholzer established a unique and fluent offensive approach in less than a season, while also working on a swarming, very aggressive defense. From my point of view he is simply a superior coach than Malone.
But you have to take into account, that the Hawks FO and coach were on the same page and knew what they wanted.

For me, simply a clear direction. If it's to be run and gun (not something I enjoy personally) then point the franchise in that direction, shape the roster properly, hire the right coach and go there. The problem is they've spun their wheels trying to keep Malone happy while slipping in the odd player who actually fits their vision.

ideally they'd realise that Cousins is the future of this team and any player or coach acquisitions need to be about him and only him. Sadly I don't think they see basketball that way.

I am a fan and I want the fans, the players, the coaches, the FO to put this upheaval and trauma behind us and simply work hard on planning to win the next game. Don't fire anyone, recognize how hurtful this has been for the players, all parties get behind Corbin and his coaching staff, and focus on improving, working together, playing well and winning. If there are bad guys in this, forgive them, embrace them, make this outfit one again. Keep doing what is necessary to improve the team now.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I'll humor myself for a sec and pretend you're not an organizational plant sent here for damage control.

If that was the "plan from the beginning", then Malone wouldn't have been hired in the beginning, now would he? Or at the least he'd have been replaced this summer, if there was a plan and all and you've got to be an absolute fool to think part of a thought out plan is firing a successful coach midseason and throwing the season, our best start in eight years and locker room chemistry away without a replacement lined up.

Furthermore, that "plan" wouldn't include having Ty Corbin as coach and instead would have a guy like George Karl lined up as a replacement and now steering the ship. To add, if the plan was to have an ATL type system, then our weasel GM in PDA did an atrocious job of building a roster who can employ such a style. Let me guess, as "running is just a mindset and anyone can do it", passing, good movement and the ability to shoot/spread the floor like ATL is also just a "mindset" and anyone can do it. Am I right? Hell, anyone can be the Spurs, that too is just a mindset, right?

Of course, the underlying stupidity clouding this whole ordeal is the asinine assumption a fan base starved of winning, fresh off our best start in close to a decade with a clear identity under Malone that was winning, would support blowing it all up to chase a different "style". You've got to be incredibly tone deaf to believe tossing a season aside and putting chasing "pace" over winning basketball as a priority makes sense. Winning always comes first. A style which is winning will always have support. You tailor a system around your talent, not force your talent into a system. As of now, we look almost as bad as NY trumping the triangle offense with a 5-35 record. But hey, New Yorkers want the triangle, so it's all good.

As of now, Malone has shown he's the only person who's worked in this organization since the Maloof era who gets it, and his record proved it.

Sorry but Budenholzer established a unique and fluent offensive approach in less than a season, while also working on a swarming, very aggressive defense. From my point of view he is simply a superior coach than Malone.
But you have to take into account, that the Hawks FO and coach were on the same page and knew what they wanted.
Exactly. So even if he was a superior coach, he could have been in the way out if his point of view differed from pda.

Less than a year he was there coach last year some of you malone haters are delusional. How is he superior have you seen his roster. He has 3 all stars and a team full of vets that have played together. Vs Gay/DMC/ and Collison and a bunch of guys who are 7-12 on a roster playing to many minuets. Atlanta has 5 shooters on the court at all times that's unique we have 1 shooter that's unique in a bad way. The fact that Malone got us to a 9-7 record I've seen all I need to see to know he will be a top 10 coach in the league. Just wait till Malone gets his next job some of you will wonder how we fired him.

Less than a year he was there coach last year some of you malone haters are delusional. How is he superior have you seen his roster. He has 3 all stars and a team full of vets that have played together. Vs Gay/DMC/ and Collison and a bunch of guys who are 7-12 on a roster playing to many minuets. Atlanta has 5 shooters on the court at all times that's unique we have 1 shooter that's unique in a bad way. The fact that Malone got us to a 9-7 record I've seen all I need to see to know he will be a top 10 coach in the league. Just wait till Malone gets his next job some of you will wonder how we fired him.
With all due respect, but I don't hate Malone. And I wasn't expecting Malone to model our offense the way Budenholzer did for the Hawks, but to establish an offense, that keeps everyone involved and gets the most out of our role players and doesnt rely completely on our stars - and this is why i wrote about a unique and fluent offensive approach and didn't write anything about outside shooting etcetera. The Kings won't be able to copy offensive schemes from other teams. They have to find their own way. This is a reasonable demand to an NBA coach.

With all due respect, but I don't hate Malone. And I wasn't expecting Malone to model our offense the way Budenholzer did for the Hawks, but to establish an offense, that keeps everyone involved and gets the most out of our role players and doesnt rely completely on our stars - and this is why i wrote about a unique and fluent offensive approach and didn't write anything about outside shooting etcetera. The Kings won't be able to copy offensive schemes from other teams. They have to find their own way. This is a reasonable demand to an NBA coach.
I mean he had our 1string playing the best defense in the league what more can you want. He wasn't gonna fix the defense/offense in 1 year the offense can be fixed next year. It's not like the offense was bottom 5 it was good enough with the talent he had to work with. I'd rather have the problem of fixing the offense than fixing the defense.

I haven't voted for any option, because they're too simplistic, though I understand it's hard to put more than a sentence into a poll option.
Here's, what I would like to see: clear direction opposite to what is now associated with NBA 3.0, so not "anything but NBA 3.0", but rather "exact opposite of NBA 3.0".
What I saw in the first 15 games looked like a foundation with very clear and at the same time easily correctable holes:
1. get a competent backup PG, who can create, not give the ball away every other possession and be competent on D (Kings personnel led to "either/or" situation),
2. get a starting big, that is a bit better than JT, making JT a 3rd big in the process,
3. get a competent shooting SG. It doesn't have to be 7th pick-level talent, just a good shooter with competent defense. Everything else is a bonus.
It doesn't feel the same anymore, because in the process of justifying the firing current regime felt the need to condemn all things related to Mike.
Uttering "defense is important to winning" voluntarily, as a single standing idea and talking point and not in a defensive response to a question might be a decent start for current FO.

I mean he had our 1string playing the best defense in the league what more can you want. He wasn't gonna fix the defense/offense in 1 year the offense can be fixed next year. It's not like the offense was bottom 5 it was good enough with the talent he had to work with. I'd rather have the problem of fixing the offense than fixing the defense.
Well I agree. One can argue if Malone wasn't given enough time. And I wrote in a different thread, that I'm not supporting PDA on firing Malone. But if you want to pay attention to both sides, you have to take into account, that coaches like Budenholzer established a defense and an offense at the same time. And that's why we disagree on the point, that Malone will be a Top-10 coach.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Offense is irrelevant for this franchise. Quit thinking offense. It makes for dumb basketball people. Everything that has gone wrong in Sacramento for the past 8+ years has been on the other end of the ball, while the basketball vidiots in charge worried about offense. Offensive myopia is for tourists and casual fans.

Our offense was sufficient. We scored enough points. Our big deficiency was in assists, but then again that's because the idiot rodent in charge has put together a roster 2/3 full of inferior passers/creaters, and then blamed the coaches for not making them into San Antonio.

P.S. oh and in answer to this poll? Let's start with PDA's head on a pike and work our way up.