[Game] Toronto @ Kings - 12/5/12

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I just don't like aaron brooks.... so many turnovers... seriously. for the past few games.
And what's your solution? Play IT? Jimmer? MT? I don't think Brooks looked that good tonight and I also thought Jimmer played well or at least shot well. I still think Brooks needs a little time as does Jimmer. Stick with one starter and have a little consistency.

Nice game from Salmons and JT as well. Both guys are playing their roles rather effectively.

The most important thing to take from this game though is every starter with 33+ minutes. I doubt that has happened so far this season and it's incredibly important for us to keep doing moving forward.

The average basketball fan knows that a guard can't be a force on both ends of the court for the whole game so they save them for the end of the game.
what? Tyreke must not be a guard then huh? Dwyane Wade is not a guard? cause im pretty sure those guys can be a force on both ends of the court

That play they were running towards the end of the game with the Salmons/Csouns screen n roll where Tyreke hit the threes is one of the better late game playsets they've run all year.

1. It involves your two best players.
2. It has a veteran decision maker handling the ball with Salmons.
3. It either gets Cousins the ball down low or gets the ball to Tyreke at the one spot he shoots best from.
4. If all of that fails, it gets Salmons a jump shot at his favorite spot.

So essentially it involves at least three players instead of one player going heroball and it gets all three players in good spots to score. Amazingly, this harldy ever happens in the team's halfcourt sets.

Nice game from Salmons and JT as well. Both guys are playing their roles rather effectively.

The most important thing to take from this game though is every starter with 33+ minutes. I doubt that has happened so far this season and it's incredibly important for us to keep doing moving forward.
this is rather amazing. especially considering tonights sub-par opponent which is when smart likes to tinker with lineups more than normal. we will see if it happens again though

maybe in a situation where the team needs a defensive Stop, but not as a starting lineup, i dont like the floor spacing. i think the starters need to be Reke/MT/Salmons
Brooks/Reke/Salmons/JT/Cousins are showing a lot of promise as a unit together. They've easiy been our best offensive unit and give us the best opportunity to win

what? Tyreke must not be a guard then huh? Dwyane Wade is not a guard? cause im pretty sure those guys can be a force on both ends of the court
You can't be a defensive stopper on the other teams best offensive player and be a force on the offense for the whole game. It takes way too much energy. Dwayne won't guard the other teams best guard until late in the 4th.

I'm taking Npliam's side on this one. It's tiring trying to defend the opposing teams best player. It takes a tole on a players offensive production as well.

There is a reason why the Heat have guys like Chalmers and Battier on their team. They try to put those guys on the opposing teams best players, but down the line, you matchup Wade and Lebron on those players to try to completely shut them down.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You can't be a defensive stopper on the other teams best offensive player and be a force on the offense for the whole game. It takes way too much energy. Dwayne won't guard the other teams best guard until late in the 4th.
The last time the Kings had a player that even came close to fitting that role was when Doug Christie was wearing #13, and even then Doug was much better on the defensive end.

first off i didnt say to make Reke guard Lowry, i just said to get Brooks out, put Tyreke at the PG. Salmons could guard Lowry

they asked coach smart why he waited so long to put reke in and he sounded a little shocked that someone actually asked that, he basically said he didnt want to show toronto his hand......so he let lowry go off for 34 and 11 before showing his hand? sounds pretty stupid to me, he ended it by saying hes been in rodeo for a long time as to say " dont question me like that"

they asked coach smart why he waited so long to put reke in and he sounded a little shocked that someone actually asked that, he basically said he didnt want to show toronto his hand......so he let lowry go off for 34 and 11 before showing his hand? sounds pretty stupid to me, he ended it by saying hes been in rodeo for a long time as to say " dont question me like that"
That Keith Smart. Always thinking ahead. We'll trick the opponent into letting their best player kill us in a close game just so they won't think we'll figure it out at the end of the game. Got ya Toronto!

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
If he's been in the rodeo for so long, why does it take him longer to figure **** out than many on this forum? It's also a ridiculous strategy, to let Tor's arguably top player to get going at such a key point in the game before putting our top defender on him.

I'm pretty sick of this guy. Tonight was an example of what could be with even a decent coach. Tighten the rotation, which most coaches do, and we look better. Put your best defender on Lowry, but do it earlier, and it's probably not as close at the end. This guy has the learning curve of a toilet plunger.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You don't happen to know who asked him that question, do you? I'm betting his press card is being yanked as we speak.

If he's been in the rodeo for so long, why does it take him longer to figure **** out than many on this forum? It's also a ridiculous strategy, to let Tor's arguably top player to get going at such a key point in the game before putting our top defender on him.

I'm pretty sick of this guy. Tonight was an example of what could be with even a decent coach. Tighten the rotation, which most coaches do, and we look better. But your best defender on Lowry, but do it earlier, and it's probably not as close at the end. This guy has the learning curve of a toilet plunger.
I think he played this one right.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I think he played this one right.
Reke should have been on Lowry when he checked back in at the 5-6 min mark.

Rotations were far better, but the issue is it took him 17 games to get there.

I actually liked Jimmer's role more tonight even though he didn't shoot that well.

There's improvement, but the issue is all this is occurring at a pathetically slow rate.

His postgame comment about switching his backup PG's every game is an asinine strategy. So on Fri it's back to IT? That won't work. It hasn't worked.