The Isaiah Thomas contract match poll

How far are you willing to go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I did this last summer with Evans, thought it was interesting, and now think it's worth doing with IT again: although we've tried to predict the IT contract before, I think it's worth going on record as to how high we'd be willing to match. The FO seems to be taking the same approach as they did with Evans last summer--let the market decide rather than bidding against themselves. What's the highest yearly salary (assuming 4 years) that you are willing to match?

Even if he doesn't get a great offer from another team, the Kings still need to decide what to do with him. If they want him, they still will be looking at a (my guess) 4/28 deal. Unless IT makes it clear he doesn't want to play for the Kings in the future and just take the QO and becomes a UFA next season (highly unlikely).

I think the number will settle in the 7-8 million range for whatever team he ends up on, even the Kings. Good for IT! He gets some compensation for the last few season.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
NOTE: I'd merge this with the IT Rumor thread but there's a chance it would drop the poll. So, I'm just going to refer people to the Rumor thread for discussion after they've voted here to avoid duplication and parallel conversations. ;)

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I picked 6 mill but in my book that is the keeper price as a backup PG. When the offers exceed the 6 mill mark,and they will we HAVE to do a sign and trade, we just cant let that kind of VALUE walk for nothing we just can't

Overpay the midget IT ( even at 4M/year) and the problem with that big loophole in defense (mismatch at the backcourt) and the lack of facilitator in offense will stay for the next 4-5 years.

Just look at Nate Robinson's career path (who is now getting 2M/year) before you even think of signing IT at more than 4M.

Nate Robinson was stronger, more explosive scorer, can facilitate offense, and gives effort to defend. And he can dunk too! They soon found out they cannot hide the midget on him on defense.

And where is he now?

At 2m/year.

Last edited:
Sign the midget IT ( even at 4M/year) and the problem with that big loophole in defense (mismatch at the backcourt) and the lack of facilitator in offense will stay for the next 4-5 years.

Just look at Nate Robinson's career path (who is now getting 2M/year) before you even think of signing IT at more than 4M.

Nate Robinson is stronger, more explosive scorer, can facilitate offense, and can fairly defend and dunk.
They both suck at D, aren't great facilitators but IT is a much more effecient scorer.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Sign the midget IT ( even at 4M/year) and the problem with that big loophole in defense (mismatch at the backcourt) and the lack of facilitator in offense will stay for the next 4-5 years.

Nate Robinson is stronger, more explosive scorer, can facilitate offense, and can fairly defend and dunk.
I'm not an IT booster by any means but you'd have to be crazy if you actually believe that.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
How about a sub 4M option?

With both Stauskas and Ben in the backcourt, along with Ray who isn't ready to start, we need a completely different type of PG out there than IT. Defensive minded and a preference to give up the rock.

The best scenario right now is obviously a S&T bringing back the type of PG we need. If we can't do that, I'd seriously consider letting him walk and using any available cap space to get a starting PG who fits our needs. Blowing cap space on more of the same doesn't get us anywhere. And are we going to develop Ray as the backup point or not? If so, no IT as a 6th man. IT doesn't sound like he'd accept that anyway.

I'm going with don't match unless it's lower than the poll allows. Our FO better have a better solution for our starting PG next year than matching on IT or hoping for a S&T. But I'm currently of the opinion I'm not spending more money on offense until we get some defense in here, nor would I even give Malone the opportunity to run out IT/Ben or IT/Stauskas together. If I knew defensive acquisitions were right around the corner, I'd reassess but all I have to go on is one offensive move after another while ignoring the other end.

Payton would have answered some of our needs for about a 2M/Y rookie contract. Why would I pay 6M+ for a PG who doesn't answer our needs?

With both Stauskas and Ben in the backcourt, along with Ray who isn't ready to start, we need a completely different type of PG out there than IT. Defensive minded and a preference to give up the rock.

The best scenario right now is obviously a S&T bringing back the type of PG we need. If we can't do that, I'd seriously consider letting him walk and using any available cap space to get a starting PG who fits our needs. Blowing cap space on more of the same doesn't get us anywhere. And are we going to develop Ray as the backup point or not? If so, no IT as a 6th man. IT doesn't sound like he'd accept that anyway.

I'm going with don't match unless it's lower than the poll allows. Our FO better have a better solution for our starting PG next year than matching on IT or hoping for a S&T. But I'm currently of the opinion I'm not spending more money on offense until we get some defense in here, nor would I even give Malone the opportunity to run out IT/Ben or IT/Stauskas together. If I knew defensive acquisitions were right around the corner, I'd reassess but all I have to go on is one offensive move after another while ignoring the other end.
The issue is I don't think we have cap space, even if IT leaves. Which means we waste another asset. I don't want to overpay either but if we can sign him to a deal that is tradeable, I'd rather see us go that route. Unless we can get the right pieces through other means.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
The Stauskas pick would make a lot more sense if we already had a tentative deal in place for Rondo. I still would have taken Payton as insurance for Rondo leaving in a year, but I can at least understand why they would go with Stauskas in that scenario. I'm not getting my hopes up this early in the game though.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
The issue is I don't think we have cap space, even if IT leaves. Which means we waste another asset. I don't want to overpay either but if we can sign him to a deal that is tradeable, I'd rather see us go that route. Unless we can get the right pieces through other means.
Fair enough but personally, I'm not giving IT a big contract simply because we shot ourselves in the foot with the Landry contract.

We've got to stop handing out bad contracts because we put ourselves in a bad cap situation due to repeatedly handing out bad contracts.

BTW, I thought letting Reke walk was supposedly a sign for having a plan for our backcourt. Offering IT 6M+ as a last resort does not appear like any kind of a solid plan to me.

I'd bring in a Mo Williams/Beno/Steve Blake/Ridnour type on a cheap, short term contract and have them help develop Ray before handcuffing our PG rotation for the next 4 years.

Fair enough but personally, I'm not giving IT a big contract simply because we shot ourselves in the foot with the Landry contract.

We've got to stop handing out bad contracts because we put ourselves in a bad cap situation due to repeatedly handing out bad contracts.

BTW, I thought letting Reke walk was supposedly a sign for having a plan for our backcourt. Offering IT 6M+ as a last resort does not appear like any kind of a solid plan to me.
No disagreement. I just look at our bleak roster full on non-starters in trades and I don't want to see us lose something that people may want for nothing.

K

KingMilz

If the FO match this I think I'm done with the team for next season, this is on par with the Landry deal @ 8million, the FO has to actually be smart about this.

Payton would have answered some of our needs for about a 2M/Y rookie contract. Why would I pay 6M+ for a PG who doesn't answer our needs?
lets go around the room. stauskas or payton? i say stauskas lmfao

we need to bring nellie out of retirement so we can run n gun

If there is not a sign and trade for Detroit/Smith or Boston/Rondo or Suns/Bledsoe you have to match even up to 8-9 mil so we do not loose an asset, then you look for a trade we want

Even when FO gave up on evans they went out and got a Sign and Trade
they sure did sign and trade. saved a bunch of cap to spend on landry. good work :)