The Tyreke Evans contract match poll

How far are you willing to go?

• Total voters
OK Kings fans, the draft has come and gone and the Kings now have a potential star SG in Ben McClemore. Our incumbent potential star guard, Tyreke Evans, is a restricted free agent, and may or may not still remain a good fit. Let's say the team decides to allow the market set the price on Reke's next contract. Lots have numbers have been bandied about in other threads, so it's time to put your (Vivek's) money where your mouth is: What's the highest yearly salary you are willing to match?

(note: other teams can only sign him to a 4-year deal).

Last edited:
as high as $12 million. no matter what his "trade value" may be at a future date (that's an unknown quantity no matter what you pay him), you can't let a worthy asset walk for nothing. it's better to take the chance that evans continues to develop into a guard with an elite skillset, and trade for picks and enders in return if he doesn't pan out as you'd hoped, than to not take the chance at all and watch an asset slip away just because you don't have the stones to pay up in a league that asks for the bill long before you start winning. and, for the record, if the kings don't start winning soon, with or without tyreke evans, don't expect demarcus cousins to just sit there and take it. i'll take my chances with evans...

Before the draft I was in the 12 million as the absolute max.

However, after the draft I really do think you HAVE to retain Evans. The way he handles the ball and penetrates along with his size/length and complimentary attitude with Cousins...it's just such a nice fit next to McLemore. With McLemore's ability to space the floor along with his athleticism and attitude...he's really going to help Tyreke maximize his potential...and then we'll be talking about All Star levels of play.

McLemore should benifit tremendously from both Cousins and Tyreke...as they should be able to draw in the defenses and allow him to shine as a guy who can run off screens and cuts to get open for wide open shots.

So if we had drafted Noel/McCullum/Adams then I'd would have gone up to 12m for Tyreke...but with McLemore being brought in...I just can't see letting Tyreke go when I think of the potential that can be had by both players really helping to elevate each other's game.

By the way...I don't want to pay Tyreke that much...and if we have to...I'm probably going to feel a little bit sick. (I also would be shocked if we have to...) But these are some of the realities of being a small market team. Also...I don't think we'll have problems trading Tyreke even if we sign him to a max deal..unless there is an injury or something.

I just don't think that you can find anyone on the open market with Tyreke's size/length/ball-handling/defensive potential/age/attitude...and if you can find that guy and convince him to come over...you're going to have to drastically over-pay to play here rather than going somewhere else.

I guess you can say that I'm 'All In' for a 1st Option - Cousins, 2nd Option - Tyreke, 3rd Option - McLemore core. I think that from an offensive end you've got all your basis covered...and Tyreke/McLemore should bring the wing defense needed to compete at a high level. Now just need the right players (interior defender most needed) to fit next to the three and then let them grow and hopefully succeed.

because logistics may come in the way in future salary cap implications
I said that I would go for the MAX if I had to. I don't expect that to happen at all...as I don't really consider Tyreke a Max level player right now...and I don't think other clubs see him that way either.

But I wanted to quote what you had to say regarding future salary cap implications...and I think that you're dead right.

You really begin to prohibit yourself if you allow yourself to go into Luxury territory...and it isn't all about the money.
You lose the standard MLE and are forced to take a mini-MLE which means you can't bring in as good of talent.
You also can no longer do Sign-and-trades.

So unless you're absolutely certain regarding your roster and it's ability to compete at a Championship level...you do not want to go into the Luxury tax because it limits your roster flexibility...which you need if you want to get better to get to a championship level.

Hopefully we'll see a lot of the dead weight slowly removed from our roster though. I mean...I think it's a fair question to ask the following: "Would you rather have Tyreke at $14m by himself...or Tyreke at $12m plus Outlaw at $3m"

I think most would rather have Tyreke at $14m. It isn't at all ideal....but it goes to show that having discipline in how you spend your money is critically important and you don't want to make moves (signing Outlaw/Hayes) which might prevent you from acquiring/keeping talent which will help you win.

I'm a big Reke supporter, but anything over 11.5 is too much for me. If we keep him, great. If we can't, we have (in my opinion) the best player in the draft waiting in the wings.

I'm a big Reke supporter, but anything over 11.5 is too much for me. If we keep him, great. If we can't, we have (in my opinion) the best player in the draft waiting in the wings.
If McLemore had anywhere near the handles of Tyreke I'd agree with you. But he doesn't...which means that you'd need to find another point guard to play next to him...and you're just not going to find anyone with Tyreke's size/length/rim attack/efficiency/defense on a 'reasonable' contract.

With that said...I really do understand where you're coming from...I don't want to pay him the MAX...and I think the odds are extremely slim that we'll have to. I believe that he'll end up with something under $12m.

Is a sign and trade possible?
possible, but terribly unlikely. previously, sign-and-trade was sort of an "everybody wins" scenario. under the new CBA, however, players who agree to sign-and-trade are unable to receive the extra contract year or bonuses that come with being signed by their former team. it's another measure that's supposed to help keep players where they are, so there would be absolutely no incentive for tyreke to agree to a sign-and-trade when he could walk for the same money to his destination of choice, if the kings decided they weren't willing to pay him here. he'd have to really like sacramento to offer this team a helping hand while they shove him out the door...

I'd way rather overpay Evans and keep him then let him walk and have nothing other than cap room. The only reason you'd rather let Tyreke walk is if you're in favor of cap room. What would be the point of that? To try to sign a different high level free agent? It becomes a revolving door unless you can sign THE top free agent. We're better off holding onto our big pieces and trying to add smaller pieces that fit around them.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
possible, but terribly unlikely. previously, sign-and-trade was sort of an "everybody wins" scenario. under the new CBA, however, players who agree to sign-and-trade are unable to receive the extra contract year or bonuses that come with being signed by their former team. it's another measure that's supposed to help keep players where they are, so there would be absolutely no incentive for tyreke to agree to a sign-and-trade when he could walk for the same money to his destination of choice, if the kings decided they weren't willing to pay him here. he'd have to really like sacramento to offer this team a helping hand while they shove him out the door...
Keep in mind that you can be the "trade" side of a sign-and-trade if you're over the cap (as long as you don't finish over the "Luxury Tax Apron"). So if Team X wants Tyreke and Tyreke wants Team X, but they're over the cap, then he can't walk to Team X because they don't have cap room to sign him. But a sign-and-trade is a win-win if they're willing to trade us something we want.

I don't think other teams are looking to add Evans honestly I bet he's ours for cheap.
I agree. I don't think there is a market to pay him over 10, in terms of teams with cap space, their positional needs, and the perception of his career around the league.

I want and believe the market for him is 8-9. If the staff, who I have a high belief in, thinks he is essential to our success, I guess I would have to look the other way at him being matched up to 10.5

I used to think $12 mill was the mac, but aftrer drafting Mclemore, an Evans-Mclemore back court would complement each other so well and could potentially become so good that I'd be very OK with $13.5 mill as the max.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I used to think $12 mill was the mac, but aftrer drafting Mclemore, an Evans-Mclemore back court would complement each other so well and could potentially become so good that I'd be very OK with $13.5 mill as the max.
Drafting MLM increased Reke's value to us. Before when we didn't know if he'd play the 1 or the 2, didn't know what type of PG or which PG would be next to him, or SG and it was easier to make the argument not to go so high. We didn't know what the makeup of the team would look like. Last night we just got our first answer, our first piece to the puzzle. Now we have a draft pick who fits extremely well with him, they cover each other's weaknesses and exploit each other's strengths, along with great defensive potential. Now, it becomes much, much tougher to find someone who can do the same next to MLM, especially in a market with a poor history of attracting quality talent.

Now you need Reke not only as a foundational piece, but also as the perfect fit next to MLM, and replace Reke with less of a fit you don't only lose Reke and his upside/what he brings but you also hurt MLM. There's a very short list of guys who can penetrate, get the defense shifting and create open looks for a guy like MLM. Take that piece away from next to him it only hurts. It's not only MLM fits great next to Reke, Reke also fits great next to MLM.

Last edited:
9.5mil for 4 years (38mil total)

There was no 9.5 so I just went with 9.

Is he worth more? Probably not.

Is the market value for Evans higher than 9.5mil? That's what we are about to find out.

But like someone said above, I don't really see teams looking for an Evans type of player. Teams probably won't be looking to sign him to play PG so that drops his market value a bit because SGs are typically a bit cheaper than PGs. But who knows. I stick to my 9.5.

These max offers and 13-14mil offers are just crazy. He's not going to fetch that on the market so we shouldn't be just offering him that much out of the goodness of our hearts when he's not worth that. Start at 8 if you are the front office (and shimmy up to 9.5-10) to make it look like you really want him. That's if he's not getting much attention on the market. If he is then we need to start where they are which could be 9-10mil.

If it's above 9.5 I pull the whole black jack clap and bow out..

[video=youtube_share;-3f_GvkMBqk]http://youtu.be/-3f_GvkMBqk?t=49s[/video]

It's not letting me put the video at 49 seconds... Anyhow, watch the vid at 49 lol.. Oh well.. I tried.

Last edited:

Is the market value for Evans higher than 9.5mil? That's what we are about to find out.

But like someone said above, I don't really see teams looking for an Evans type of player. Teams probably won't be looking to sign him to play PG so that drops his market value a bit because SGs are typically a bit cheaper than PGs. But who knows. I stick to my 9.5.

These max offers and 13-14mil offers are just crazy. He's not going to fetch that on the market so we shouldn't be just offering him that much out of the goodness of our hearts when he's not worth that. Start at 8 if you are the front office (and shimmy up to 9.5-10) to make it look like you really want him. That's if he's not getting much attention on the market. If he is then we need to start where they are which could be 9-10mil.

If it's above 9.5 I pull the whole black jack clap and bow out..

[video=youtube_share;-3f_GvkMBqk]http://youtu.be/-3f_GvkMBqk?t=49s[/video]

It's not letting me put the video at 49 seconds... Anyhow, watch the vid at 49 lol.. Oh well.. I tried.
I think 9.5 is a reasonable figure. Mine is 12 but it's obviously not a preferred figure, just the max that I would go.

That's my take. I'm cool with 9.5 average for 4 years or less, or 5 years with a team option.

More than that, and it's one of those contracts that we'll look back upon with disdain..

Looks like most Kings fans here are willing to match at least $10-12 million. AV says today the market's looking around $8-10 (if she's hearing that from Reke's agent, it may even be less, but if it's coming from the Kings' side, it might be more):

The fifth-year guard is generating considerable interest, with his market value tentatively projected between $8 million and $10 million annually.
Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/06/30/5534480/ailene-voisin-dalessandro-plans.html#storylink=cpy

I hope if they do pay him, then the idea is to put him back at PG. Only problem is, they drafted this new guy in the 2nd round, and they also have IT, so something has to give... If they plan to play him at SG or SF, then I think it's a big mistake to pay over like 9 mil for him. Does the front office, and the coach really believe he should be back at PG ? Because if they don't believe he should be the PG, then they should focus on a sign and trade if possible, or just let the guy walk if that makes more sense.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I hope if they do pay him, then the idea is to put him back at PG. Only problem is, they drafted this new guy in the 2nd round, and they also have IT, so something has to give... If they plan to play him at SG or SF, then I think it's a big mistake to pay over like 9 mil for him. Does the front office, and the coach really believe he should be back at PG ? Because if they don't believe he should be the PG, then they should focus on a sign and trade if possible, or just let the guy walk if that makes more sense.
Second round draft picks are not guaranteed contracts.