The Isaiah Thomas contract match poll

How far are you willing to go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How about a sub 4M option?

With both Stauskas and Ben in the backcourt, along with Ray who isn't ready to start, we need a completely different type of PG out there than IT. Defensive minded and a preference to give up the rock.

The best scenario right now is obviously a S&T bringing back the type of PG we need. If we can't do that, I'd seriously consider letting him walk and using any available cap space to get a starting PG who fits our needs. Blowing cap space on more of the same doesn't get us anywhere. And are we going to develop Ray as the backup point or not? If so, no IT as a 6th man. IT doesn't sound like he'd accept that anyway.

I'm going with don't match unless it's lower than the poll allows. Our FO better have a better solution for our starting PG next year than matching on IT or hoping for a S&T. But I'm currently of the opinion I'm not spending more money on offense until we get some defense in here, nor would I even give Malone the opportunity to run out IT/Ben or IT/Stauskas together. If I knew defensive acquisitions were right around the corner, I'd reassess but all I have to go on is one offensive move after another while ignoring the other end.

Payton would have answered some of our needs for about a 2M/Y rookie contract. Why would I pay 6M+ for a PG who doesn't answer our needs?
There's a $3 million option. If one's not willing to match $3 million--that's a sure-fire asset, regardless of fit or future with the Kings--then one's distaste for Thomas has really rendered rational debate impossible.

I think I was somewhere in the range of 3 years at about 22mil. Between 6 and 7mil per year is max I would go.

edit: This seems about the consensus here. Between 6 and 7mil

Overpay the midget IT ( even at 4M/year) and the problem with that big loophole in defense (mismatch at the backcourt) and the lack of facilitator in offense will stay for the next 4-5 years.

Just look at Nate Robinson's career path (who is now getting 2M/year) before you even think of signing IT at more than 4M.

Nate Robinson was stronger, more explosive scorer, can facilitate offense, and gives effort to defend. And he can dunk too! They soon found out they cannot hide the midget on him on defense.

And where is he now?

At 2m/year.
Wow, some of you really don't like IT, huh? This is just not true. Nate's never scored more than 17 PPG in a season and his career FG% is 20% lower than IT's. IT's career APG is also higher than Nate's ever recorded in a single season. They average about the same amount of SPG as well, with IT matching Nate's career high this year at 1.3. IT is a better version of Nate Robinson in just about every way, and he's going to be paid as such.