Seth Curry signed by Kings

Vlade to Karl: "Apologize to DeMarcus right now or I will sign a Duke guy".
Karl: "No way - you wouldn't".
Vlade: "I'm gonna count to 5 and then I'm gonna pull the trigger"
Karl: "You don't have the balls"
Vlade: "5,4,3,2,1.... congratulations Seth - you're a King"

Seth, I welcome you to Sacramento!!!!!

Work hard, be ready, impress your coaches, If rondo or DC do go down even for a game
I expect you to come in, Light up that scoreboard and show all of us Fans
You are ready to be a big time NBA shooter !!!

Sounds like a very decent signing, I didn't really persist in watching the summer league games, but from what I was able to see he was great in the summer league, so therefore, I believe that he can be an upstanding 3rd point guard for us off the bench.

I am so excited for the upcoming season for the Kings, I truly feel like it is going to be great for us.

Let's go Kings.

Guy will be 25 before training camp and has a whopping 21 mins of NBA game time to his name.

I'd have brought back Dre instead. And he wanted to be here. Maybe it'll click with Seth and he can offer something at this level but the deck is stacked against him. Guys rarely become NBA caliber guards at 25 who weren't prior and/or weren't overseas.
I don't disagree with the importance of guys like Dre at the end of a rotation, but guys like that only accept those roles on championship contenders. Despite the Karl connection, he probably A. Wanted to still actually play and saw we have basically 0 minutes at PG now. and B. We aren't a title contender.

Depth isn't an issue with 10 guys who can be apart of a rotation.

K

KingMilz

*dre wants to play for contender*

*has gut feeling dre will sign with lakers*
Where did I write "Dre wants to play for a contender"?

I said he would only most likely I believe be a 3rd PG only on a contending team otherwise he will simply go somewhere regardless of that teams ability to win to be a back up (cause he always wants to play) which Is why I think he might go to the Lakers since he's from LA and the Lakers said they might play Kobe at the 3 to develop there dynamic backcourt of Clarkson/Russell and I think Dre would be a fine mentor (back up PG) for both in particular Russell since what I saw of Russell in SL he did in some ways reminded me of a taller way more talented Dre.

He also was great friends with Lou Will in there Philly days and they played well together.

Andre was very open about wanting to return here, Vlade, at the least, knew this, and more likely even talked with him. Vlade has added a LOT of older, mature players and it could be as simple as not wanting to over stack on players on the waning side of their career and keeping a balance of some youth/developing talent. Or Andre didn't want the role presented , or they have some agreement for later..or...... with Vlade who the F knows, we sure as hell won't see it leaked on the internet unless it's just someone fishing for something, and that's a GOOD thing. I am kicking back, putting my feet up and waiting for October.

I don't disagree with the importance of guys like Dre at the end of a rotation, but guys like that only accept those roles on championship contenders. Despite the Karl connection, he probably A. Wanted to still actually play and saw we have basically 0 minutes at PG now. and B. We aren't a title contender.

Depth isn't an issue with 10 guys who can be apart of a rotation.
It will be if one of our PGs goes down with an injury. Seriously, let's think about this...

• If Rondo gets hurt, you're starting Collison and giving backup PG minutes to either Stockton or Curry. That's a big risk for a team trying to compete for the playoffs.
  • If McLemore gets hurt, you're starting Belinelli and have Gay, Butler, & Anderson who can swing over to cover backup SG minutes. Not a problem!
  • If Gay gets hurt, you're starting Casspi and have Butler, & Anderson who can swing over to cover backup SF minutes. Not a problem!
  • If Koufos or Cousins gets hurt, you're starting Cauley-Stein and you have Gay, Casspi, & Acy who can swing over to cover backup big man minutes. Would have preferred a better 4th big than Acy in FA, but it's not as bad as our PG depth.

Right now, we can cover most positions with players we know can play even if we get hit with an injury. The only exception is PG. This is why I keep harping on this. If we don't get a more established 3rd PG, I will be rooting my butt off that Curry is good enough to fill that role because if one of our PGs goes down, we'll need him big time.

It will be if one of our PGs goes down with an injury. Seriously, let's think about this...

• If Rondo gets hurt, you're starting Collison and giving backup PG minutes to either Stockton or Curry. That's a big risk for a team trying to compete for the playoffs.
  • If McLemore gets hurt, you're starting Belinelli and have Gay, Butler, & Anderson who can swing over to cover backup SG minutes. Not a problem!
  • If Gay gets hurt, you're starting Casspi and have Butler, & Anderson who can swing over to cover backup SF minutes. Not a problem!
  • If Koufos or Cousins gets hurt, you're starting Cauley-Stein and you have Gay, Casspi, & Acy who can swing over to cover backup big man minutes. Would have preferred a better 4th big than Acy in FA, but it's not as bad as our PG depth.

Right now, we can cover most positions with players we know can play even if we get hit with an injury. The only exception is PG. This is why I keep harping on this. If we don't get a more established 3rd PG, I will be rooting my butt off that Curry is good enough to fill that role because if one of our PGs goes down, we'll need him big time.
First off, what makes James Anderson any better as a potential rotational player than Curry? They're in the same boat. Still young guys with some upside. Neither have proven anything at the NBA level.

It's just not an issue to worry about. If Seth was our main-back up PG, sure, then you and I and the rest of the Kings fan-base would have plenty of reservations about how he would perform in a 10-15 MPG role. But as the back-up to the back-up? How is that a worry? No team is 3 deep at every position. And if that situation DOES come up, we have plenty of ways to handle it.

Still a vast improvement from last year, when an injury at any position sent us into a tail spin. Wait, that isn't even accurate, a vast improvement over last year when our bench came in the game couldn't play if DeMarcus was not on the floor and was exposed on a flaming pyre of ineptitude when he went down (remember Malone was still here at that point) You are speaking in hypotheticals (what IF an injury at PG happens) Let us pray to the basketball God's that the injuries happen in a spread out and manageable fashion (as there are always injuries during the NBA season, at least here) With this roster, we might even be able to win some games without DeMarcus, how crazy is THAT?

First off, what makes James Anderson any better as a potential rotational player than Curry? They're in the same boat. Still young guys with some upside. Neither have proven anything at the NBA level.

It's just not an issue to worry about. If Seth was our main-back up PG, sure, then you and I and the rest of the Kings fan-base would have plenty of reservations about how he would perform in a 10-15 MPG role. But as the back-up to the back-up? How is that a worry? No team is 3 deep at every position. And if that situation DOES come up, we have plenty of ways to handle it.
Are they?

One was drafted 20th overall. The other went undrafted.
One hasn't had to change positions. The other has.
One has logged 3,600 NBA minutes. The other has played 21 NBA minutes.
One has per36 career averages of: FG% .417 / 3PT% .330 / FT% .755 / 12.4 PPG / 4.7 RPG / 2.5 APG / 1.0 SPG / 0.4 BPG / 1.7 TOPG. The other hasn't logged enough minutes to even bother looking.

Anderson is more a known commodity than you think. They are per 36 minutes when his career average has been 18 MPG, but these aren't used to show you what he would do if given 36 minutes. It's to show you that he has been a productive player when inserted into the game. He's not shooting a dismal 35% from the floor and 23% from three. He's not turning the ball over 3 times more than he's assisting. He's already shown that he can come in and provide something if called upon. Curry...we just don't know at this point.

Yes, I'm talking about our back-ups back-up because it's probably the most important position to be 3 deep in. I'm not asking to be 3 deep in every position. I'm asking to be 3 deep in a position where we don't have any SGs or SFs who can run an offense. A lot of other positions can be covered by players who have a different primary position. However, PG is different. Unless you have a SG or SF who can handle and distribute well, your 3rd PG should be able to provide productive minutes if needed. If an injury hits, the dropoff can be quite noticeable.

My assessment on Curry over Andre. Andre basically provides the same thing as Rondo but a full decade older. Vlade went for more shooting and youth. As far as lockerroom prescense, Caron Butler is expected to take that role along with the other vets brought in. I have no issue with it, if it ever comes to the point where we are desperate for another veteran PG we can make a minor move I season. Moreover if Karl plans on running dual PGs at times, that is where Curry is more likely to see his minutes this season, playing next to a Rondo to space the floor. You just can't play Rondo and Miller together, Collison and Miller maybe, but Curry can play next to either on the limited role he should play.

I could see something like

Rondo
Curry
Butler
Casspi
WCS

that could work in limited stretches when you want Rondo to do his thing. Working the pick and roll with Willie while having shooters all around him.

Last edited:
If Rondo or Collison gets injured, we could always have Rudy be the ball handler when a rest is needed, and run an offense through Cousins at the top of the key:
Gay
belenelli
Mclemore/Casspi
Cousins
Koufos

My assessment on Curry over Andre. Andre basically provides the same thing as Rondo but a full decade older. Vlade went for more shooting and youth. As far as lockerroom prescense, Caron Butler is expected to take that role along with the other vets brought in. I have no issue with it, if it ever comes to the point where we are desperate for another veteran PG we can make a minor move I season. Moreover if Karl plans on running dual PGs at times, that is where Curry is more likely to see his minutes this season, playing next to a Rondo to space the floor. You just can't player Rondo and Miller together, Collison and Miller maybe, but Curry can play next to either.
It's not about complimenting your starting PG's skillset with your 3rd PGs skillset. That's what you do with your starter and backup. It's about getting someone you can rely on to fill in if needed. Miller is that guy. I could care less about the lockerroom prescense when it comes to making this point (I already said I'd be happy with Sessions in this role).

It's all fine and dandy to say we can make a move if needed, but why not make the move now? Why not take care of it upfront when you can and not run the risk of having to scramble to make a deal midseason while games are being played?

Unless Curry is able to break through and be a 6th man type player, he will see very limited to no action with Rondo and Collison healthy. You have two PGs and two SGs who are all worthy of minutes. There's barely any room to play Rondo and Collison all the minutes they deserve let alone a 3rd PG.

Again, I liked the signing. I think he could be something someday, but I don't want have to rely on him as a playoff contender, I want him to be a luxury. The right move is to cut Dukan and add an established vet as our 3rd PG. Then if Curry earns it, he can surpass the veteran 3rd PG in the rotation, but you don't hamstring yourself by running the risk of only having 2 NBA caliber players who can handle the ball, pass, and run an offense by giving the 3rd PG role to Curry. Let him prove he can be that guy at the NBA level first.

I fully agree with this assessment and had the same concerns.
I believe that 3rd PG is more important to what we are trying to do (all in this season) than another stretch PF.

That being said, I realized that if either of Kings PGs gets injured, there always seems to be some unsigned/unwanted 10-15 min per game PG around available capable to pass the half court under the pressure and toss the ball to someone more capable.
That sort of put me at ease.

It's not about complimenting your starting PG's skillset with your 3rd PGs skillset. That's what you do with your starter and backup. It's about getting someone you can rely on to fill in if needed. Miller is that guy. I could care less about the lockerroom prescense when it comes to making this point (I already said I'd be happy with Sessions in this role).

It's all fine and dandy to say we can make a move if needed, but why not make the move now? Why not take care of it upfront when you can and not run the risk of having to scramble to make a deal midseason while games are being played?

Unless Curry is able to break through and be a 6th man type player, he will see very limited to no action with Rondo and Collison healthy. You have two PGs and two SGs who are all worthy of minutes. There's barely any room to play Rondo and Collison all the minutes they deserve let alone a 3rd PG.

Again, I liked the signing. I think he could be something someday, but I don't want have to rely on him as a playoff contender, I want him to be a luxury. The right move is to cut Dukan and add an established vet as our 3rd PG. Then if Curry earns it, he can surpass the veteran 3rd PG in the rotation, but you don't hamstring yourself by running the risk of only having 2 NBA caliber players who can handle the ball, pass, and run an offense by giving the 3rd PG role to Curry. Let him prove he can be that guy at the NBA level first.
I do not see 3rd PG role given to Curry no more than stretch PF being given to Dukan.
I believe that they are more brought in cheap and given chance to have those roles. D-leaguers more probably than not.

Cousins, Guy, Rondo, Collison, Ben, Belinelli, Koufos, WCS, Casspi are our main 9 with given roles.
Acy, Anderson and Butler are 10-12 to fill in as needed.
Moreland, Curry and Dukan are development story, given no role for this team.

I do not see 3rd PG role given to Curry no more than stretch PF being given to Dukan.
I believe that they are more brought in cheap and given chance to have those roles. D-leaguers more probably than not.

Cousins, Guy, Rondo, Collison, Ben, Belinelli, Koufos, WCS, Casspi are our main 9 with given roles.
I agree totally with this

We have our main 9 guys, we have 3 guys in reserve

Moreland,Curry,Dukan and Stockton will all have a chance in Training camp and even during practice
to see who will be on the Active roster vs, Dleague vs just inactive

It would only take one injury to Bring a second player to the 13 Active

my opinion is since Stockton is not guaranteed he will be cut
Dukan D - league
Seth 13th and if any player goes down Moreland becomes 13th

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

How dare you inject logic and reason into the discussion? :p

It is such a rare occasion to have Kings fans debating the merits of a couple of players who will most likely spend most of the year waiting for the Kings to amass enough of a lead where they might actually able to step onto the court before the final buzzer.

I love Kings fans. It doesn't matter if the player is a starter or bench filler - we'll argue his merits/shortcomings with every breath in our bodies.

I LOVE THIS TEAM!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
atta babe.

Good signing. One thing we've done really, really well in the Vivek era is signing cheap guys like this to throw in our D-League/end of bench who have some upside. All it takes is one to break through and be a contributor to the main team.

Seth can shoot the lights out and he's really improved his game the past couple seasons in the D-League. And the dude destroyed everyone in SL. Why not see if he can stick with the big boys?
For those interested in how he performed in summer league, here's a little video.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
David Stockton is not, unfortunately, ever going to be his father. He has the IQ, but not the skills, ability or inherent toughness. Can you imagine DAVID taking the hit his dad did on that wicked pick Chris Webber set? They'd have to stop the game to pick up the pieces.
The kid has plenty of toughness; he just doesn't have the talent. It's time for him to start thinking about coaching.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The kid has plenty of toughness; he just doesn't have the talent. It's time for him to start thinking about coaching.
I've watched Stockton's career through Gonzaga and since, and at no time did I ever think he would be an NBA PG. Not for lack of trying, or even skillset to some degree. But because I don't think his body will stand up to the rigors of the NBA. If he was at least six feet tall and weighed 185 pounds, maybe he would have a chance. But he's not, and probably never will be. He's just too frail. Add in an average skillset, and you have a career D-League player. Unfortunately, he's not a chip off the old block.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
For those interested in how he performed in summer league, here's a little video.

its really too bad he's not 6'5", because he's still a SG. If he had full SG size you could call him a SG with solid passing/playmaking skills and pair him with Marco as pocket Manus. But at 6'2" he's still just caught.

-- mediocre athlete, poor one at PG
-- sophisticated offensive game. Just has that feel for it, and as a SG the ballhandling to create his own shot.
-- everything is just slow though. No quickness or explosiveness. The right moves, but superior NBA athletes might be able to recover on them.
-- defensively simply cannot guard Russel Westbrook. Ever. There is no hope. Or Tyreke. No physical skills for it. In that way there is some Jimmer similarity. Even when Jimmer was willing, his body wasn't always able.
-- still not a PG. Nothing he does is much more than an above average passing SG. He's probably less PG than Belli. And quicknesswise the ITs of the world will dust him.

While we are calling him 3rd PG because of our roster, would not surprise me at all if Karl uses him at SG. He has a long tradition of using big points or combo guards at SG to get extra passing/ballhandling ability, and damn the defensive consequences.

I find this concern and worry about the Curry signing Much Ado About Nothing. Really, some of you just gotta worry and express your concerns about something! So now Curry is the worry du jour. If Vlade had signed Miller instead of Curry, some of you would be happy, but many of you would be worried about his age and whether he would be a good locker room presence when he's getting zip for minutes (as long as Rondo and Collison are healthy). If one of our PGs goes down, there are all kinds of ways to plug that hole. I just think you guys should chill on the worrying. There's so much to talk about without always having to start with "I'm worried about..." or "I'm concerned that..."

its really too bad he's not 6'5", because he's still a SG. If he had full SG size you could call him a SG with solid passing/playmaking skills and pair him with Marco as pocket Manus. But at 6'2" he's still just caught.

-- sophisticated offensive game. Just has that feel for it, and as a SG the ballhandling to create his own shot.
-- everything is just slow though. No quickness or explosiveness. The right moves, but superior NBA athletes might be able to recover on them.
-- defensively simply cannot guard Russel Westbrook. Ever. There is no hope. Or Tyreke. No physical skills for it. In that way there is some Jimmer similarity. Even when Jimmer was willing, his body wasn't always able.
-- still not a PG. Nothing he does is much more than an above average passing SG. He's probably less PG than Belli. And quicknesswise the ITs of the world will dust him.

While we are calling him 3rd PG because of our roster, would not surprise me at all if Karl uses him at SG. He has a long tradition of using big points or combo guards at SG to get extra passing/ballhandling ability, and damn the defensive consequences.
If he can develop into a bench scorer that is fine for us. What so different from him and say a Jerryd Bayless?

bajaden

Hall of Famer

No argument from me. As I originally stated, he's a SG in a PG's body. He has some skills, and if used properly ( I guess), He may be able to contribute. Remains to be seen. He probably deserves a chance at the NBA, I'm just not sure we should be the team that gives him that chance. I hope he proves us all wrong.