[Game] Preseason Game 7: Kings at Jazz, 9 PM 10/21/10

can someone explain why Tyreke isn't just destroying the Jazz? I mean ... against a rookie/ronnie price/earl watson? If Tyreke can't score against those guys I'm afraid he probably isn't as good as we thought he was
wow way to overreact and base a player's career on a preseason game

wow way to overreact and base a players career on a preseason game
I don't think so. What was our expectation of Tyreke coming into this season? Fans (and myself included) have already ranked him as one of the best guards in the league, and he's supposed to have a better shot too.

This game, he's just ... awful? And it's not like he's playing Deron Williams or something. If a player is really that good, he doesn't have 7 points midway in the 4th quarter playing against this jazz backcourt. Of course I know it's an off game, but he just seems way way way off.

I don't think so. What was our expectation of Tyreke coming into this season? Fans (and myself included) have already ranked him as one of the best guards in the league, and he's supposed to have a better shot too.

This game, he's just ... awful? And it's not like he's playing Deron Williams or something. If a player is really that good, he doesn't have 7 points midway in the 4th quarter playing against this jazz backcourt. Of course I know it's an off game, but he just seems way way way off.
again, you're basing it on one game, trust me Tyreke is gonna be sick this season

It is painfully obvious that we don't know what we are doing in our offensive sets. Honestly, I think the sets are terrible, the ball movement is terrible, the passes are even worse, and the weakest part of our game is that we can't shoot... the free throw percentages are laughable. I feel like we haven't improved one bit since last season.. and to be honest I have to agree that we look even worse than last season. Too much mixing up the players. Westphal needs to create some new plays the Jazz run their sets great, even with their second unit. We can't run a play with our starters. Tyreke needs to stop fading away on that jumpshot. The one three he made he was set... the next one he took he faded off one leg unbalanced and was of course a misfire. Hassan looked ok for his first time out there, very encouraging defense, but is easily tricked by the pump fake. All in all, considering this was the final preseason game, we definitely don't look the way a team should.

again, you're basing it on one game, trust me Tyreke is gonna be sick this season
I hope you don't mean sick as in ankle problems sick.

I'm really not basing my assessment on his stats, but rather the flow of his game. He's not attacking well, doesn't seem aggressive at all. TOs galore... It's not like his shot just isn't falling or something like that, he just seems like a totally different player. Where are the crossovers we're accustomed to, etc. These things shouldn't go away even if a player is having an off night

says who? This is our last preseason game, maybe they're getting rest.
I dont buy the rest argument. We dont play till Wednesday. This was the final tuneup, and I think chemistry is important. We're finally healthy ( aside from Dally ) and playing this game out like a regular season game would have helped everyone build chemistry and help players understand there role and playing time.

I cant say im surprised though. Westphal is allergic to consistency.

Someone needs to show our guys how to pass to the chest. Most of the kick-outs have gone to the receivers knees meaning either the defense has time to rotate or the shooter is taken out of rhythm. Bad passing costs several fg% for most players.

I didn't get to watch the game but dang, Cousins statline looks pretty bad again. his preseason looked much like his summer league play with the nice start followed by turnovers and horrible shooting percentages. Could be a rough year for the big guy?

Well this pre-season has been a dissapointed for me.

And not cause of the 'atleast 45 win' expectations, cause I don't expect that, but because I wanted to see signs of a team, some strides or guidlines that will indicate this is going in the right direction. This doesn't look like a team, and it's still preety much the same mess it's been last year, with better talent and size.
I hope coach W gets his act together during the course of the season and shape this group of players into a real team with some identity.

I didn't expect much, but so far other then the obviuse player changes, it doesn't seem like theres any progress made in the coaching and offensive plays department, but i'm still very much positive this will change for the better during the season.

as crappy as Donte has been he's playing his heart out these last few minutes
I don't see this great heart or its meaningless and his box score line speaks volumes - lousy/mediocre/sub-par again tonight like most of preseason: 23 mins/ 1-8 FG/ 1-5 3pt/ 0-0 FT (because he never slashes inside just hangs at 3pt line)/ 6 RB/ 1 BS - THREE lousy pts. scored. Not good at all.

Wow, I caught the tail end of the third and the whole 4th. I didnt see a lot of energy on the Kings bench. At the end there, they really looked like they were going through the motions in a final preseason game. They were out hustled to every rebound and every loose ball. Not sure why Garcia and Casspi didn't play, but I am not sure it would have helped. Cousins had a terrible game against Jefferson, but didn't play any better against the scrub Fesenko going 1-7 with only 4 rebounds. Evans also had an off night. Well, it was the final preseason game. No one in the Kings starting 5 had a decent game. Lets hope the regular season sees a more energetic effort. They are gonna need more energy to beat anyone.

Ehh game for the most part my only real complaint is a comeplete lack of Omri. Now idk why maybe an injury or rest, but for the sake of the teams growth I really HOPE Westphal makes it known who the 3's are on this team. When Donte is stinking it up Omri should be the first off the bench to get in there for him and vice versa, while it helped us tonight Landry at the 3 will kills us with nobody to spread that floor.

I really like Whiteside out there as well, he has a nose for the ball it's something we haven't had here in years. So hopefully he proves himself to be atleast COMPETENT out there this year and judging by that nice lil' sky hook(Shout out to Kareem haha) he looked more than competent out there.

Well this pre-season has been a dissapointed for me.

And not cause of the 'atleast 45 win' expectations, cause I don't expect that, but because I wanted to see signs of a team, some strides or guidlines that will indicate this is going in the right direction. This doesn't look like a team, and it's still preety much the same mess it's been last year, with better talent and size.
I hope coach W gets his act together during the course of the season and shape this group of players into a real team with some identity.

I didn't expect much, but so far other then the obviuse player changes, it doesn't seem like theres any progress made in the coaching and offensive plays department, but i'm still very much positive this will change for the better during the season.
Exactly. No flow, and we didn't seem to be playing with any heart at all. And how bout our wiley vets? On one play Wright was defending his man, facing him. Shot was taken from the other side of the court and the rebound went right by him, he didn't even see it because he was guarding a guy face up who didn't have the ball, after the shot was taken.

Just what are we doing in practice???

If there's anything good to take away from this game was Beno and Tyreke playing pretty well together. Tyreke had 5 assists in the first quarter.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
can someone explain why Tyreke isn't just destroying the Jazz? I mean ... against a rookie/ronnie price/earl watson? If Tyreke can't score against those guys I'm afraid he probably isn't as good as we thought he was
Are you really serious? Your starting to sound like a troll. Its fricking pre-season for gods sake. Lets not make too big a deal out of this.

Oh adding on, good thing was the Hassan sighting. He played fairly well but has a lot to learn, even on defense. On one play the Jazz were running down in transition and Tyreke was trying to stop the player with the ball. Hassan was just standing in the middle of the lane, I suppose waiting to try to get a block. But as a result, Tyreke had no space to back up and had to sort of push Hassan away.

Ughh... and I thought our long seasons would be over. Guess the team still has lots of growing and learning to do. As many have said, we definitely need to start getting some consistency and flow. I just hope for the sake of my blood pressure that the guys play with more heart once the regular season starts. I don't know whether to feel sad or hopeful when I see highlights of OKC's games and they're passing the ball around so well, getting tons of dunks and having great ball movement. How many dunks do we get a game?