[Game] Pistons @ Kings- 11/11/15 - 7 PT, 10 ET

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Thank you to all the men and women who are serving or have served in the armed forces of the United States. Regardless of what's going on on the court, the Kings organization ALWAYS does an excellent job in saluting our veterans and I know this tradition will continue.

As far as the game goes? I'm hoping that the rumored players-only meeting will light the fire. This is a winnable game, especially if we have more than one point guard able to play.

Once, now and forever - GO KINGS!

The Kings season RE-STARTS with this game!

DMC is back and no more excuses!

IF we lose, I think all hell may break lose (i.e. Karl may get FIRED)!

IF the Kings can win this game, I think the Kings will be all right. We will start competing for the #8 spot and a .500 record.

GO KINGS!

No matter what they will play a game tomorrow night aganst the Postons. Hope we have two PGs to play. The misery factor should work n favor of guys playing a better game. The whole season is in front of them. It's in everyone's best interest to end the misery ASAP. And what helps to end it is putting a good effort together. They can overcome any problem and it is in their best interest to do it sooner rather than later. Go Kings.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Karl will have some say here too.

For those who have not noticed, Andre Drummond, OUR Andre Drummond, the player I was demanding we draft when we took Thomas Robinson instead (f u Maloofs+ Petrie!!! ****!!!) has been going off in epic fashion now that Stan Van Gundy has finally cleared the frontcourt of every other player of size. Before the Golden State game he was AVERAGING 20pts 20rebs, which I think was last done by Wilt.

Thing is, part of that formula is its Dre vs. your center, and then SVG tries to force every other player on the floor to be a SF/PF tops. Then Dre kicks your C's ass, and overwhelms all the midgets. Well a) Dre may not kick Cuz's ass if we let Cuz be Cuz. But B) if Karl is smart he'll keep a second 7 footer out there next to Cuz and we'll double big body Drummond out of the monster game, and screw Ersan Ilyasoava or the weaker Morris twin. Let them try to beat us without the big guy having a big game.

Or, as the season has gone so far, Karl just goes small, puts Cuz and Drummond on an island, and hopefully Cuz still wins that, but every time he has to step up to challenge penetration, nobody behind him will stand a chance.

Last edited:
Karl will have some say here too.

For those who have not noticed, Andre Drummond, OUR Andre Drummond, the player I was demanding we draft when we took Thomas Robinson instead (f u Maloofs+ Petrie!!! ****!!!) has been going off in epic fashion now that Stan Van Gundy has finally cleared the frontcourt of every other player of size. Before the Golden State game he was AVERAGING 20pts 20rebs, which I think was last done by Wilt.

Thing is, part of that formula is its Dre vs. your center, and then SVG tries to force every other player on the floor to be a SF/PF tops. Then Dre kicks your C's ass, and overwhelms all the midgets. Well a) Dre may not kick Cuz's ass if we let Cuz be Cuz. But B) if Karl is smart he'll keep a second 7 footer out there next to Cuz and we'll double big body Drummond out of the monster game, and screw Ersan Ilyasoava or the weaker Morris twin. Let them try to beat us without the big guy having a big game.

Or, as the season has gone so far, Karl just goes small, puts Cuz and Drummond on an island, and hopefully Cuz still wins that, but every time he has to step up to challenge penetration, nobody behind him will stand a chance.
gonna rub some salt in your wounds brick.

The Kings took DeMarcus Cousins with the No. 5 overall pick in 2010, but should Drummond slip to five this year, Sacramento may be compelled to take another big man.

"They told me we both could be interchangeable," Drummond told the Bee. "We both can do similar things, and if it worked out, we'd have a good chemistry together."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba-new...nd-sacramento-kings-bobcats-wizards-cavaliers

they took an nba ready motor off the charts no actual skill "smig" small-big player over a beast. smh

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
they took an nba ready motor off the charts no actual skill "smig" small-big player over a beast. smh
It's very, very easy to forget the immense warts that came along with Drummond after his one year at UConn. He was raw, he was widely seen as lazy, it was evident that he had absolutely zero jump shot (still doesn't), and he didn't have sky-high rebounding numbers. The body was there, and the rest of it was all one big question mark.

Dismissing the collegiate TRob as having "no actual skill" is not a particularly strong argument if comparing to Drummond. While Robinson is not the rim protector Drummond is, he was 4x the passer in college, he grabbed 140% as many rebounds per minute, he scored more than half again as much, he was a much better ball handler, and yes, he had the maturity and motor that Drummond did not.

Drummond would have been a very interesting gamble, and it would have paid off. Robinson was a safe bet that didn't pay off. The outcome did not work, but the decision was quite defensible. Keep in mind that another factor in selecting Robinson was the fact that the Maloofs would not commit to resigning Thompson in the offseason and Petrie had to worry about potentially filling a starting PF slot - where again experience was a pretty important factor. Had Petrie gotten assurances of signing JT in the offseason, we would have taken Lillard, not Drummond, anyway.

The draft is not perfect. There are probably a minimum of five teams (Charlotte, MKG; Cleveland, Waiters; Sacramento, Robinson; Golden State, Barnes; Toronto, Ross) who are kicking themselves for not taking Drummond, and a sixth (Washington, Beal) is at least on the edge. Anthony Davis and perhaps Damian Lillard are the only players that would go ahead of Drummond if the draft were re-run today. There's no point in distorting history to try to make us look bad - this kind of thing happens to dozens of teams in every draft.

Bricklayer

It's very, very easy to forget the immense warts that came along with Drummond after his one year at UConn. He was raw, he was widely seen as lazy, it was evident that he had absolutely zero jump shot (still doesn't), and he didn't have sky-high rebounding numbers. The body was there, and the rest of it was all one big question mark.

Dismissing the collegiate TRob as having "no actual skill" is not a particularly strong argument if comparing to Drummond. While Robinson is not the rim protector Drummond is, he was 4x the passer in college, he grabbed 140% as many rebounds per minute, he scored more than half again as much, he was a much better ball handler, and yes, he had the maturity and motor that Drummond did not.

Drummond would have been a very interesting gamble, and it would have paid off. Robinson was a safe bet that didn't pay off. The outcome did not work, but the decision was quite defensible. Keep in mind that another factor in selecting Robinson was the fact that the Maloofs would not commit to resigning Thompson in the offseason and Petrie had to worry about potentially filling a starting PF slot - where again experience was a pretty important factor. Had Petrie gotten assurances of signing JT in the offseason, we would have taken Lillard, not Drummond, anyway.

The draft is not perfect. There are probably a minimum of five teams (Charlotte, MKG; Cleveland, Waiters; Sacramento, Robinson; Golden State, Barnes; Toronto, Ross) who are kicking themselves for not taking Drummond, and a sixth (Washington, Beal) is at least on the edge. Anthony Davis and perhaps Damian Lillard are the only players that would go ahead of Drummond if the draft were re-run today. There's no point in distorting history to try to make us look bad - this kind of thing happens to dozens of teams in every draft.
Robinson was a twerp with no portfolio beyond rebounding.

Drummond was a beast in a bad system.

You're in the lottery for a reason, picking the runt who might at best be a small rebounder over the beast in waiting was inexcusable.

You're in the lottery for a reason, picking the runt who might at best be a small rebounder over the beast in waiting was inexcusable.
Super-athletic but lazy bigs with no feel for the game like Drummond have an awful track record in the NBA. For every Drummond you get an Olawakandi, Saer Sene, and Hasheem Thabeet. Drummond showed absolutely zero signs of being able to blow up the way he did.

Bricklayer

Super-athletic but lazy bigs with no feel for the game like Drummond have an awful track record in the NBA. For every Drummond you get an Olawakandi, Saer Sene, and Hasheem Thabeet. Drummond showed absolutely zero signs of being able to blow up the way he did.
None of those guys could hold a candle to Drummond's freakishness. People just didn't understand the scope of what they were seeing. One of the truly freaky big man specimens we have seen. Sene and Thabeet had no strength. None of them had Drummond's athleticism. And few of the modern African guys have any innate feel at all. I should dig up the old highschool vid of Drummond running point center and leading the break. Not in a million years could any of those guys do that.

And TRob...STUBBY BIGS SUCK. SMALL BIGS SUCK. Its too late to get that into Geoff's head, but damnit, fans of this franchise should have gotten the message somewhere back there. And frankly as freshman, Drummond probably showed as much feel as Robinson did as a frosh too. With twice the body. If you're going to be stubby, you damn well better be a basketball genius with amazing skills. I was higher on Randle than some for that reason. But Trob was just a less skilled Kenny Thomas.

from what i recall, uconn had shabazz SG napier and jeremy SG lamb. both ate up a lot of shots and whatever was left went to andre maybe. uconn didn't utilize andre's skills properly just like karl is doing with rudy.. playing him at PF or how smart played tyreke at SF. it can make a player look bad or disinterested. how would he have looked if he was featured on that team?

i saw the highlights of trob and it didn't blow me away that he had skills(translatable that is). look at him now, is he doing those things he did in college against nba talent?

i agree with you that petrie would've picked lillard instead of drummond if he had his way. the guy gets an instant boner when someone can shoot(ie, drafting quincy douby).

None of those guys could hold a candle to Drummond's freakishness. People just didn't understand the scope of what they were seeing. One of the truly freaky big man specimens we have seen. Sene and Thabeet had no strength. None of them had Drummond's athleticism. And few of the modern African guys have any innate feel at all. I should dig up the old highschool vid of Drummond running point center and leading the break. Not in a million years could any of those guys do that.

And TRob...STUBBY BIGS SUCK. SMALL BIGS SUCK. Its too late to get that into Geoff's head, but damnit, fans of this franchise should have gotten the message somewhere back there. And frankly as freshman, Drummond probably showed as much feel as Robinson did as a frosh too. With twice the body. If you're going to be stubby, you damn well better be a basketball genius with amazing skills. I was higher on Randle than some for that reason. But Trob was just a less skilled Kenny Thomas.
he was a power small forward w/o the ball handling or shooting skills. boggles my mind that they didn't see how short or small he was when they interviewed him in person. were they so captivated by his story to overlook his actual basketball abilities? smart said he was a mature kid that overcame lot of family issues. great, but can the play and help the team win. all i heard is work and motor. motor. motor.

I remember those highlight reels. Some mixmaker puts up some clips of a big dribbling around and shooting fadeaways against teenagers and everyone goes nuts. Fact is, every young big growing up watching KG and Webber was doing that crap in high school. Its no surprise 99% of the time it goes away at the college level. Same thing happened with Drummond. But not only did the flashy finesse stuff go, but his aggressiveness disappeared too. He supposedly had a lot of strength but struggled to push around college bigs? Athletic monster but was a terrible rebounder? There really was no difference between him and any African big you saw come in the last ten years, who all failed not because of strength but because they lacked a feel for the game. Except that once he hit the NBA, some lightbulb went off and he all of a sudden wanted to tear heads off.

Drummond is unprecedented. T-Rob had his own issues and I'm not going to tell you that he was the right pick. Picking Drummond was hardly a no-brainer.

Don't agree. More importantly water over the dam. Can the case be made that if we hadn't picked Cuz we would probably had a better record over the past 4 years? I don't know, never will and don't care. WE're here now. Go Kings.

Bricklayer

I remember those highlight reels. Some mixmaker puts up some clips of a big dribbling around and shooting fadeaways against teenagers and everyone goes nuts. Fact is, every young big growing up watching KG and Webber was doing that crap in high school. Its no surprise 99% of the time it goes away at the college level. Same thing happened with Drummond. But not only did the flashy finesse stuff go, but his aggressiveness disappeared too. He supposedly had a lot of strength but struggled to push around college bigs? Athletic monster but was a terrible rebounder? There really was no difference between him and any African big you saw come in the last ten years, who all failed not because of strength but because they lacked a feel for the game. Except that once he hit the NBA, some lightbulb went off and he all of a sudden wanted to tear heads off.

Drummond is unprecedented. T-Rob had his own issues and I'm not going to tell you that he was the right pick. Picking Drummond was hardly a no-brainer.
yes indeed. It was all just such a mystery. Who could possibly have foreseen the 6'11" 270lb mega-athlete dominating inside in the NBA.

Really now.

P.S. And those tapes were significant. because you never in a million years would have seen them of a Thabeet or Sene. Drummond was a basketball player. Then he went to the worst big man system in college basketball and people forgot about it. That was still no excuse. he walked in the room and the appropriate response would have been, oh, ok, I'll have one of those please. To stick next to my other one of those and tear the heads off the league like little chickens for the next 15 years.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think Pistons take this one. They've been playing well this season. Reggie Jackson will shoot a lot so Rondo has to be alert. Boogie won't be able to bang with Drummond so I have a feeling we will see a lot of perimeter Boogie. Just no three's please...I hope that was addressed in these player meetings.

yes indeed. It was all just such a mystery. Who could possibly have foreseen the 6'11" 270lb mega-athlete dominating inside in the NBA.

Really now.

P.S. And those tapes were significant. because you never in a million years would have seen them of a Thabeet or Sene. Drummond was a basketball player. Then he went to the worst big man system in college basketball and people forgot about it. That was still no excuse. he walked in the room and the appropriate response would have been, oh, ok, I'll have one of those please. To stick next to my other one of those and tear the heads off the league like little chickens for the next 15 years.
Apparently, 7 professional organizations, all of whom have an army of scouts/talent evaluators, as well as most draft experts all didn't get the memo. Even our own Bajaden, the best draft commentator on the board by far, had major concerns about Drummond.

I have read several posts saying in essence Cousins can't duel with Drummond. Granted, Drummond has certainly improved and is off to a superb start this season. And I admit I am a little biased and also do not have all the stats to support this, but I do not recall any time since both came into the league when Drummond dominated the Bogie Monster. And I have the utmost confidence it is not going to happen tomorrow night. Go Kings!!!

PS (I can't imagine anyone looking forward to facing Cousins a day after he personally called for a team meeting :eek:)!