Only DeMarcus Cousins trade rumor thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh trust me. I know full well what's done is done. I just would feel better for myself if I knew that both Vivek and Vlade knew just how badly they screwed up.
I would be more than shocked if he makes any such address to the fans. He might be stupid when it comes to the NBA but I'm betting he's not THAT stupid. That being said, I would pay to see it.
I mean for any reason, any time in the next few years, or even beyond that. Like he's been known to do.

What's odd is that for a guy who loves the limelight, he just has no sense of what will go over well.

So apparently if you want to impress the front office, you have some random player grab the family jewels of the guy you want to trade for? Got it.
Well I remember us going after Schroeder. At least they're consistent.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, listening to Kayte and Dave in their emergency radio broadcast tonight, you could hear an interesting thing.

Really it was this tone in their voice of utter disbelief. Not even shock I'd say, just a complete non understanding of why this happened. It was strange. On the one hand, they are trying to produce a radio broadcast. But you could tell, as basketball people, and even as insiders of the Kings, they just had no idea how to think of this. You got the impression that if they weren't such passionate fans, they would be laughing their asses off at what just happened. Indeed, you could hear Sam Amick, when he called in, direct from New Orleans, suppress a bit of incredulous laughter. It was bizarre.

So, listening to Kayte and Dave in their emergency radio broadcast tonight, you could hear an interesting thing.

Really it was this tone in their voice of utter disbelief. Not even shock I'd say, just a complete non understanding of why this happened. It was strange. On the one hand, they are trying to produce a radio broadcast. But you could tell, as basketball people, and even as insiders of the Kings, they just had no idea how to think of this. You got the impression that if they weren't such passionate fans, they would be laughing their asses off at what just happened. Indeed, you could hear Sam Amick, when he called in, direct from New Orleans, suppress a bit of incredulous laughter. It was bizarre.
You are 100% correct. I was hearing increduality at the beginning and then dave started to sound almost angry after grant hung up.

Yeah you could tell it was a bit of a struggle to separate their inner fan with being a professional. They did a great job of just being there for all of us in attempting to help us just process what just happened and vent at the same time. They really did help the community tonight and should be applauded for what they did. They are just like us, fans, and knew we needed them. Great people. Thank you Dave and Kayte!

You are 100% correct. I was hearing increduality at the beginning and then dave started to sound almost angry after grant hung up.
I think Dave knows, in a way few do, just exactly how Grant ran Cousins out of town. He gets the effect a person in Grant's position can have. Grant blew all Cousins faults way out of proportion. He could have tried to act as a salve on those flare ups, but didn't. Grant seems to revel in exerting power. Dave can't challenge this because Grant is his professional mentor.

Grant's almost gleeful gloating on the air I think got to Dave.

It was almost as if Grant was rubbing Dave's nose in it right on the air in a not so subtle way. It was kind of a gross Machiavellian show of power.

Last edited:
Vivek just can't be trusted, as much as some wanted to believe that Vivek would hand over control to a rookie in Vlade the truth is he will never put his billion+ investment into the hands of anyone else. His actions up to this point including this one indicate that he had no plan everything is short sighted.

If you dont get the haul you want for a superstar you simply wait it out and dont promise him anything.

Vivek and Vlade got played, this offer could have been had at next years deadline too. Why stop taking calls at the 11th hour?? thats when the real offers come in. We got fleeced plain and simple and you can make that determination today.

Anytime we may be heading towards a turn in the right direction Vivek steps right in to squash it.

K

KingMilz

I'm just waking up to this news. So ****in crazy. I don't even really like Hield no way he can be the major piece we acquired. The picks we get from NO will probably be in the late teens, not even good picks. This will go down as one of the worst NBA trades in history.
In Vlade we trust lol, we could have asked Boston for Rozier + picks and it would have been WAY better we would not even have to ask for Crowder/Bradley/Smart just Rozier/Johnson and picks.....

The Lakers 2015 offer of the 2 pick and Randal is looking pretty good right now.

The Zinger, Randal and not making the 76ers trade to win now (thus, having full control over their picks going forward) was a path forward).

That was dismissed out of hand by many here as not even remotely enough for Cousins. In hindsight, that seems incorrect.

The Kings have horrible assets, a bad GM, and a truly horrible owner. Until they fix the latter, it's just moving deck chairs on the titanic. Unlike the past, you can do something about it by voting with your wallet. It's a small market and the Kings must spend 90% of the cap. If the last remaining die hard fans don't get swept up by the 1140 propaganda and nostalgia, the balance sheet turns from super black to red in a couple of years. At which point the minority owners will make things untenable for Vivek (with leaks and an audit) and we find out whether he is comfortable being Ted Stipend level revered in NBA history or capitulates.

Or start drinking koolaid thst this talent and asset starved franchise is going to draft its way to contention by nailing the 2017 draft, winning about 18 games next year and drafting a super star in 2018, and thus it won't matter that they gave away their 2019 pick because they didn't want to carry the cap hit of stretching Landry and JT over 5 years (5% of a 100 million cap) if they even understood that option.

Should have made a deal with the Celtics and got a young guy like Brown and at least the Nets 2018 pick. A lot of people had different opinions on what a return for Cuz would look like but if anyone would have guess this they would have been laughed at. I refuse to believe this is the best return Kings could have got for Cuz. Shame on ownership and shame on Vlade.

Coach Joeger welcome to basketball hell

Then you don't trade him. Period. Despite whatever baggage the GM/Ownership felt he had, he was still far more valuable to the franchise than what they received in return for him.

But I call shenanigans anyway because a guy with low value doesn't have team after team ringing the phone trying to obtain him. Slim is spot on. Vlade is in over his head and got taken to the woodshed by more experienced GM's.

If they were dead set on trading Cousins, they simply HAD to get more in return. Not even 1 all-star level talent came back -- for inarguably a top 3 big man and top 15 player in the league. They had plenty of time. He wasn't a FA until after next season. There's zero chance that they couldn't have done better than this deal. ZERO.

Great job trading the only watchable player on the team for players nobody cares about and that won't help the franchise improve. The 2017 draft pick is a throw away given the current front office and GM's track record and Buddy Hield is at best a role player should he even pan out.

Everyone on this board knows I am a staunch Cousins supporter and steadfast against trading him. That said, I could be somewhat ok with it if they at least netted something in return to get excited about. However, there is NOTHING to be excited about.

Brick, myself, Hammer and a few others cautioned the Boogie haters to be careful what you wished for. You underestimated how naive, inept, clueless and ridiculous this ownership and the front office really are. This wasn't a trade, this was a fleecing. Grand larceny.

Cousins didn't hire 9 coaches since 2006. Cousins didn't botch pretty much every 1st round pick since 2011. Cousins didn't trade Isaiah Thomas for nothing in return. Cousins didn't trade for blackhole Rudy Gay and immediately improve the Toronto Raptors. People incorrectly place blame on Cousins for the lack of winning when all of the above are the true reasons and predominately brought to you by current ownership.

Let's also not forget this franchise misled Rudy Gay about the future of Michael Malone in order to re-sign him then fired the coach and now lied to DeMarcus Cousins and his agent about their intention to trade him. They have zero credibility! This is a turncoat franchise. The ONE solitary player that showed any loyalty and commitment whatsoever to a team/group/owner that really didn't deserve it -- and who happened to be among the best talents in the NBA -- now gets shipped out for pennies? Who in the hell would want to voluntarily play or stay with this franchise after this? They just changed culture for the worse.

Like Isaiah Thomas, Cousins will find success elsewhere. And like Isaiah Thomas' departure, the Kings will not flourish or improve with Boogie departure. The real constant is bad ownership and extremely poor decision making by the various GM's. Until any of that changes, nothing will change.

Can the Sacramento Kings trade Vivek Ranadive & Vlade Divac for nothing in return? At least THAT would be a good trade!
Well hold on a minute ... this argument you've put forward is the exact reason why many "Cousins haters" said we couldn't win with Cousins, because the franchise hadn't done diddly-squat to build around him for 6 years. You know what the response was? Different FO, in Vlade we trust. Joerger, culture change. Vivek doesn't meddle anymore.

Bear with me because I haven't followed any of the news this weekend until now and until 10 minutes ago I thought there was no chance we were trading DeMarcus Cousins to anyone. The return itself doesn't really matter. I couldn't care less about Hield. He's a guy I never would have drafted but then that's pretty much par for the course with this team. I have no hopes for the picks this year either. It's possible we luck into somebody good but that's all it would be, luck, because it's quite obvious nobody in this front office has a clue what they're doing.

Don't kid yourselves, this is 100% about the money. Vivek didn't want to invest the $200+ million it was going to take to retain DeMarcus so he had to go for table scraps. If it wasn't already obvious, it should be by now. This team isn't interested in winning. It never has been, frankly. It's a small market club in business to cash in on our loyalty to the game and our willingness to invest our time and money in supporting a professional team in any sport. All the sycophants hanging around the fringes are just there to soak up their share. It should be pretty obvious who these people are. They'll be the ones explaining how this move makes us a better basketball team.

So where to from here? Everyone has to decide that for themselves. I'm not rooting for the Pelicans though I wish DeMarcus well. Maybe Boogie and the Brow can dismantle Golden State for all of us and end the chuck happy 3pt era. Little good that'll do us considering we now have no frontcourt, but I'll at least welcome a return to sanity and a balanced inside/outside game. I'm pretty much where I've always been -- on the outside looking in. Doomed to follow a basketball team that I have 0 percent respect for. Oh yeah, I mean that whole-heartedly. Everything about this franchise (except the new arena) is second rate. They cut cornes at every turn and the result is a team that exists to sell tickets and parade around young players who are biding their time until they can sign with a better team. Loyalty goes both ways and we've just proven to every player and agent that we have none. Why would they sign a long-term deal here?

I don't care to speculate anymore about who will or won't be on the roster. It's pointless if they're just going to throw away every asset we have. I tried to warn people this summer that we were moving backwards, that we had no long-term plan to speak of, that Vivek is a serious problem and not getting better. I never thought they would actually settle for a Cousins trade that doesn't even rise to meet the level of laughable. But I suppose the general impression they've given off is so bad already that they can't actually make our reputation any worse. So here's what I am hoping for: sooner or later Vivek is going to get bored with his new toy. Nobody in India is going to get excited about watching a team that even hardcore basketball junkies don't want to watch. Vivek doesn't even seem to like basketball very much himself. He likes winning and he's just ensured that there won't be much of that around here any time soon.

My advice? This team is not worth worrying about any longer, so don't. Keep going to the games if you want. Your fellow fans are in the same boat and most of them are pretty good people with interesting experiences to share. The players always deserve our respect when they play hard and the beauty of this game is that you could always witness something spectacular from any player, and it's that much more special when it's unexpected. The college game is well worth watching as well, especially if you're interested in who the superstars of the NBA are going to be in 5-10 years. Anyone who wants to tap out for good, I totally understand. I'd pick a new team if I could but it's just not in my DNA. The NBA itself didn't change today though. If you're a fan of basketball, there will still be good basketball to watch. Somewhere.
Vivek just wanted a place for bollywood night

...But from here on out it's uptempo basketball with lots of 3 point shots in SAC. Of course because we are the #Kangz that's with a coach known for slow, defense first, big man basketball.

3. With the new plan clearly visible I ask myself, why I should continue to follow this franchise. If I want to watch just another Warriors clone I can simply watch the Blazers or Celtics. What made SAC so appealing to me was it's history, my own cherished memories of the early 2000's and the fact, that they
had the guy on the roster, that felt like the last true loyal "one career, one team, against all odds" kind of star. A big guy of the mold of the 90's. I wanted this team to succeed with DMC so bad, because I wanted to watch one of those great american "from zero to hero storys", that give people around the globe so much hope. I know to feel that way is childish and naive, but what's fandom without a little naivete?

4. I feel bad for DMC. He must be furious and all those cheap excuses how the NBA is a business get old fast. Not only did he get backstabbed by people he showed nothing but loyalty - he also got traded to just another bad situation for him. I will watch the Pelicans closely, but I don't expect this to work. As far as I know Alvin Gentry is one of the worst coaches possible for DMC. And until proven the opposite I'm still not a believer in a two big man approach. This can end really bad for DMC.
SO TRUE (and sad)
Thank you.

1. I have to give credit to all posters, who kept criticizing Vlade without getting too emotional, when the majority of users backfired on them. You guys were right. Vlade goes down as one of the worst GM's in league history and as Viveks PR coup to keep the fanbase quiet. All the talk how Vlade is real or about trust or has peoples skills just looks like a very bad joke now. He absolutely and in the worst manner possible backstabbed one of the most talented players of the league. All the talk about a changing culture and how this culture will make us more attractive to FA's feels so crooked now, that I simply want to throw up. Vlade and Vivek just destroyed any credibility they had left and FA's will absolutely consider the DMC backstabbing, when negotiating with the Kings. Not only did he pull the chair under DMC, he pulled the chair under the whole team fighting like mad for a Playoff spot and he pulled the chair under Joerger, who didn't want to coach a rebuild and was happy, that SAC had the main pieces in place. Now Joerger is forced to coach a rebuild or is the next guy, who gets canned.
Vlade couldn't find any trades to make the team around DMC better. He screwed up the FA signings beyond believe and now he traded DMC (and it doesn't matter at all if Vivek forced his hand, if you trade him you have to get a better return than Buddy Hield and a protected first rounder).

2. Our offseason makes an aweful lot more sense now. We basically drafted a possible DMC replacement in Papa and already stockpiled young players to go full tank mode for the next seasons. Willie's emergence also helped the cause. Like Detroit with Drummond we didn't believe it's possible to win with a slow true big man, who will get attacked in the pick&roll. What Vlade and Vivek did, was to keep DMC long enough to get the season ticket subscribers in the Golden 1 center. Now we will follow the Warriors blueprint with Willie as the low usage rim runner in the middle. The true joke is, that Vlade managed to screw up this laughable plan already with his Philly deal, whcih basically proves he got no clue, what he is doing out there.
But from here on out it's uptempo basketball with lots of 3 point shots in SAC. Of course because we are the #Kangz that's with a coach known for slow, defense first, big man basketball.

3. With the new plan clearly visible I ask myself, why I should continue to follow this franchise. If I want to watch just another Warriors clone I can simply watch the Blazers or Celtics. What made SAC so appealing to me was it's history, my own cherished memories of the early 2000's and the fact, that they had the guy on the roster, that felt like the last true loyal "one career, one team, against all odds" kind of star. A big guy of the mold of the 90's. I wanted this team to succeed with DMC so bad, because I wanted to watch one of those great american "from zero to hero storys", that give people around the globe so much hope. I know to feel that way is childish and naive, but what's fandom without a little naivete?

4. I feel bad for DMC. He must be furious and all those cheap excuses how the NBA is a business get old fast. Not only did he get backstabbed by people he showed nothing but loyalty - he also got traded to just another bad situation for him. I will watch the Pelicans closely, but I don't expect this to work. As far as I know Alvin Gentry is one of the worst coaches possible for DMC. And until proven the opposite I'm still not a believer in a two big man approach. This can end really bad for DMC.
Not sure if they would be able to somehow get Wall over next season. But as far as coaching goes, they aren't going to struggle to find a good coach. All the coaches recognize Cousins' talent. The difference is they also have AD who's overall perceived as much friendlier to coach, and Cousins isn't necessarily going to be the main man. It's a very different scenario when your job is not entirely dependent on keeping Cousins happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.