Only DeMarcus Cousins trade rumor thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if they would be able to somehow get Wall over next season. But as far as coaching goes, they aren't going to struggle to find a good coach. All the coaches recognize Cousins' talent. The difference is they also have AD who's overall perceived as much friendlier to coach, and Cousins isn't necessarily going to be the main man. It's a very different scenario when your job is not entirely dependent on keeping Cousins happy.
Their job was to build a good team around Cousins. They have been failing at that pretty hard since we drafted him.

Seriously grieving right now. I just don't know what to do with myself.

Surely no-one wanted this, even those who wanted to trade Cousins can't be happy with what we've been left with.

The strangest part is being completely torn on how to approach my fandom now. I want to tune in to the next game and support the players we have, because I am a Kings fan and I want success for my team, but I just feel so betrayed by those in charge that I don't know if I can stomach it.

Is this the end?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Seriously grieving right now. I just don't know what to do with myself.

Surely no-one wanted this, even those who wanted to trade Cousins can't be happy with what we've been left with.

The strangest part is being completely torn on how to approach my fandom now. I want to tune in to the next game and support the players we have, because I am a Kings fan and I want success for my team, but I just feel so betrayed by those in charge that I don't know if I can stomach it.

Is this the end?
I'm honestly approaching the next game with the naive belief that maybe Vlade is some sort of basketball genius and him trading away the best center in the game for nothing has somehow turned the Kings into a very good team. Don't expect that to happen though.

George Karl is the real winner of this trade the trade makes everyone he piled on look bad and to think he wanted to do the same thing a year earlier and probably would have got back a way better haul.
Would make sense to hire George as a basketball advisor. Maybe give Billy King a call too.

I'm honestly approaching the next game with the naive belief that maybe Vlade is some sort of basketball genius and him trading away the best center in the game for nothing has somehow turned the Kings into a very good team. Don't expect that to happen though.
Err maybe its all agreed that Cousins will sign with the Kings when he becomes a UFA and we benefit by adding some talent from tanking in the meantime?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I would honestly watch a game where our offense was having Papa back down from the 3 point line. One game just for the chuckles.

Tyreke, good to have you back but ... not this way.
Boogie being gone gives future all-star Papa the room he needs to spread his wings!

RekeGPG!

you know, vivek probably really liked what he saw in the boston game. that sealed cuz's fate with the kings. the way the return in trade have been when dismissive chap meddled... we usually receive squat. makes me wonder if pda was just a puppet.

Is that why you think Vivek said these things?

I only had about an 8 or 10 minute little meeting with him. I found him to be a very arrogant and dismissive little chap. He doesn’t seem to understand that he owns it. He was the one that came in with Basketball 3.0, and changing the culture, “I have the smartest guys in the room, they’re four steps ahead of everybody else, I have 80 gigs of data, nobody else has that.” Well, okay, you know?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
What I felt yesterday was essentially a magnified version of what I felt when I woke up to hear that Malone was fired.

Not even anger, just complete disbelief. Not that Malone was the 2nd coming of Red Auerbach but he had the team buying in and playing hard. He was doing a decent job and couldn't fathom how anyone thought firing him would improve things.

Same thing here. Just at a complete loss to explain why the Kings would do this. Except this time around the stakes were so much higher. Cousins was the only asset that this team had.

I know Grant will paint this as addition by subtraction and point to Toronto improving when Rudy left and the Celtics win without Boogie but the stats don't back up either of those arguments.

DMC isn't Rudy. Gay's efficiency plummeted after a certain usage level. He wasn't made to be a lead dog. Cousins might have shot a low percentage for a big owing to his style and volume/variety of shots but he often put the team on his back and carried them.

And the Boston game was an aberration. I'm too frustrated right now to bother but at some point I'll compile the Kings record when Boogie was out of the lineup over his whole career. When I last did it (before the KHTK event with PDA) they had a losing percentage on par with the purposely tanking 76ers.

This was a terrible move by a terrible organization with a terrible owner.

Vivek has already shown a penchant for trying to son and re-write history so I'm guessing that as the criticism mounts we'll hear more about how he was "against" this deal but left it to his basketball people. And if so that's complete garbage. He HIRED his GM and he's ultimately responsible for the success or failure of this franchise. We'll just failure so far. Failure after failure with lots of confusion and broken trust thrown in for good measure.

I hope the Kings turn it around. But for the sake of my sanity I'm taking a break, cancelling cable and not watching any more games this season.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Breaking Fake News: For the first time in league history the Executive of the Year has been awarded by the All Star break....congrats Dell Demps
You know why I liked the idea of trading Boogie to Boston? Well, it was mostly because the Celtics could offer up so much more than the hot garbage sandwich they got from New Orleans. I had it as Cousins, McLemore & Casspi for Amir Johnson, Jaylen Brown and Jerebko along with the Nets pick swap this year. Ideally Vlade would also nab next year's Nets pick but if Ainge wouldn't go that far then maybe Rozier, the rights to Zizek and/or a future 1st from Boston or LAC or Memphis.

But the OTHER reason I preferred that route was it didn't mean rooting against Cousins. The Celtics could win a title and it wouldn't affect the Kings haul. And that Nets pick would be top 4 and likely top 3.

Now? Kings fans have to hope the Pelicans flounder and end up with a lottery pick (as long as it's not top 3) while also hoping the Kings collapse (very likely) do there pick increases in value while ALSO hoping the Sixers don't win too much.

It's the Kings so things won't break their way. It's likely that they just gave away the best big man in the league and will only have a mediocre shooting guard and two (possibly just one) mid 1st rounders to show for it. Awful.

K

KingsFan80

Wow what a night. Even me, as a very vocal critic of Vlade, am surprised. Did you all read the Woj article? According to him Vivek didn't want to trade DMC but was talked into it by Vlade and his clown team.

I have been told over and over, by people close to the Kings management, that Vlade is making the decisions and Vivek has given him more room. Vivek loved DMC, but over time was convinced we cannot win with him? I guess we are going to win with Papa lol. What a joke.

Sorry guys I have been so vocal over the past six months. Some people attacked me, some ignored me, some criticized me, and some agreed, but now you can see what I was saying. I was scared for my team and last night my fears came true.

Since Philly has the pick swap and our 2019 first rounder, this has doomed us to be the laughing stock of the league until 2020 at the absolute earliest. I'll see you guys in five years. But maybe not even then if Vivek is still in charge.

K

KingsFan80

Since Philly has the pick swap and our 2019 first rounder, this has doomed us to be the laughing stock of the league until 2020 at the absolute earliest. I'll see you guys in five years. But maybe not even then if Vivek is still in charge.
Vivek just signed off on the trade. People had to talk him into it. I think Vivek is a nut but this wasn't his grand idea. The issue with Vivek is him hiring a inexperienced, clueless GM and allowing that GM to make decisions.

vivek will point to when the warriors traded popular monta ellis and everybody booed the owner. now they're eating their words after they won the championship right?

Last edited:
The problem that most have with this try is, how the heck did Blade get so little in return for essentially 28pts, 11 rebs & 5 assist?

Not one all star & one 1 first round pick?

I have to think that Vivek had cold feet on paying Boogie that $219 million that he promised & decided to trade him. Vivek is supposedly kind of tight with money after buying the team. For some owners, their team is just a toy. For vivek, he needs it for profit.

dave/kayte just said kings were really high on buddy hield during draft and moved down bc he was taken.

"on our team.. i think we need shooting" dear god nothing has changed. new gm but vivek pulling strings behind the scenes on roster management

Status
Not open for further replies.