Let's discuss new guys (from June 2016)

Interestingly, Vlade mentioned IT-Boogie as a "help with the, ehh, being backup PG". Hopefully, Kings expect him to be 3rd PG at best.
So, I assume, Kings depth chart at this point looks like
Boogie/Kosta/Papagiannis
WCS/.../Skal or .../WCS/Skal
Gay/Casspi/Butler
.../BMac/Malachi
Rondo/Collison/ICousins

P.S. Skal and Malachi will be multi-year projects. Would've definitely taken Luwawu over Richardson. Athletic Channing Frey is fine at #28.
I disagree with Richardson. I think he will be able to get some minutes right away.

Sorry I can't say I agree with you. Any center who is 7'2" with any potential/talent would go in the top ten due to size. He is a major major major project with odds not in our favor. I think it is a terrible pick as he will probably not contribute at all next year. I love the trade but if the plan was to do the trade then draft him then I don't like it. If we had taken Baldwin this draft would have been a huge success but as always we managed to screw it up
You don't have enough knowledge or access to information to draw this conclusion and to think you can is naive. Teams that win in the 30s need to get the best and most impactful players and figure out the rest afterwards. The Kings are not in a position to draft for need, and needs can be addressed with trades (Koufos, Gay) and free agent signings.

Back in the day, like 4-5 years ago, these players used to make the rounds, we'd get workout videos as they'd make their stops, and more assessments from the involved parties. Back then I used to get more into analysis and projection because there was more to base opinions off. We don't get that anymore and accordingly there is just not enough data to form solid opinions.

I liked Emmanuel Mudiay last year. But one thing I could not ascertain that became an issue as a rookie is that he did NOT have blow-by speed on the perimeter. That's a problem projecting stardom. If a guard has an iffy shot he BETTER have breakdown ability to get to the rim. Mudiay has great size and good handles and solid fundamentals, but his quickness AND perimeter jumper are MIA (missing action). This is difficult to determine based off a few highlight clips.

This brings me to Wade Baldwin. Great size, great length, but difficult to gauge speed and quickness and turning corner. Since we decided to pass on this guy, I think it could be related to that lack of burst of speed....and AGAIN this is really difficult to determine just watching highlight videos (steal rate is a good forecast of speed and anticipation, and I know the scouts like to look at this, so this can be helpful to quantify speed). Anyway I think we have to defer to the guys who see them up close.

In Vlade I trust.

P.S. And we didn't screw up last years draft.
P.P.S. And trading Marco the Brick-o for a 1st rounder and who was due 2 years and $13M was the exact opposite of a screw-up!!!

Last edited:
Ben McLemore is the most undeserving starting SG in the league. I really hope we can make a move to better solidify that 2 spot.
Everyone will say Richardson is bold offensively. He will look to get his points if he has the ball. He can shoot off the dribble, he can spot shoot, he's got deep range, he can move off screens or curl, he can stop on a dime and shoot in your face.

That's enough to get some bench minutes.

His size is good and so is his length. So some of the prowess will translate to the NBA.

Ben McLemore is the most undeserving starting SG in the league. I really hope we can make a move to better solidify that 2 spot.
Stop your hate. This is professional sports. Nobody is 'given' anything. He earned his draft position based on the competition. Earned his starting role based on the competition put in front of him. Let's move on from this tired narrative.

The team needs to go out and find a better 2 guard if they're unhappy.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Can someone pretty please explain what moves we made in this draft to get these picks. I'm so confused. I've been moving these past few weeks so I haven't been following.
Let's see if I get it right...

Originally had pick #8.
-Traded the pick (Chriss) to PHX, who in return sent 13, 28, 59, and Bogdan Bogdanovic (Sp? A late first round SG from last year. He will spend another season overseas before coming over hopefully)

-Sent Marco Belinelli to someone for #22.

When watching Bogdanovic play, I get the same feeling as when I watched a younger Ginobili play... anyone else feel that way?

He's got that same flair, that same style where you don't know if he's gonna pull up for a ridiculous three, drive hard to the hole, or make a great pass. He's not the passer Ginobili is, but he certainly keeps his head up and makes some impressive passes regardless. Definitely has some craftiness to his game. He might be our SG of the future, I like this kid.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Let's see if I get it right...

Originally had pick #8.
-Traded the pick (Chriss) to PHX, who in return sent 13, 28, 59, and Bogdan Bogdanovic (Sp? A late first round SG from last year. He will spend another season overseas before coming over hopefully)

-Sent Marco Belinelli to someone for #22.
I think we already had the #59.

The 2nd rounder we got thrown in in the trade is all the way out in 2020.

Unless Marquese Chriss turns into a perennial all star, I think we got a good deal turning it into Big George, Skal and Bodgan. Vlade said they've followed Georgios for a long time so I'm going to take his word for it for now. Skal has a big upside and Bodgan will at least be a very solid player.

Isaiah at #59 is a steal so we did better than what the media will ever give us credit for. No instant big name hype gratification, but solid work in the long run considering Bogdan will essentially be our 2017 draft pick.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You don't have enough knowledge or access to information to draw this conclusion and to think you can is naive. Teams that win in the 30s need to get the best and most impactful players and figure out the rest afterwards. The Kings are not in a position to draft for need, and needs can be addressed with trades (Koufos, Gay) and free agent signings.

Back in the day, like 4-5 years ago, these players used to make the rounds, we'd get workout videos as they'd make their stops, and more assessments from the involved parties. Back then I used to get more into analysis and projection because there was more to base opinions off. We don't get that anymore and accordingly there is just not enough data to form solid opinions.

I liked Emmanuel Mudiay last year. But one thing I could not ascertain that became an issue as a rookie is that he did NOT have blow-by speed on the perimeter. That's a problem projecting stardom. If a guard has an iffy shot he BETTER have breakdown ability to get to the rim. Mudiay has great size and good handles and solid fundamentals, but his quickness AND perimeter jumper are MIA (missing action). This is difficult to determine based off a few highlight clips.

This brings me to Wade Baldwin. Great size, great length, but difficult to gauge speed and quickness and turning corner. Since we decided to pass on this guy, I think it could be related to that lack of burst of speed....and AGAIN this is really difficult to determine just watching highlight videos (steal rate is a good forecast of speed and anticipation, and I know the scouts like to look at this, so this can be helpful to quantify speed). Anyway I think we have to defer to the guys who see them up close.

In Vlade I trust.

P.S. And we didn't screw up last years draft.
P.P.S. And trading Marco the Brick-o for a 1st rounder and who was due 2 years and $13M was the exact opposite of a screw-up!!!
Damn it. There you go making sense and posting something I "like"... ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
NOTE: I changed the thread title to reflect that this has become almost exclusively a discussion of the new guys and not just a traditional Welcome thread. ;)

Isaiah Cousins reminds me of Eric Snow

Papa looks tob e groomed for that Marc Gasol role, especially since Cuz is losing weight and can shoot

Richardson really reminds me of Gay, hope he develops fast but makes me question if we are retaining Casspi

Skal looks like the longest development project of the bunch so off to Reno

Bogdan looks legit, see you next year

FA and trades on the way

I don't mind the sentiment, but that was their mock, not rankings (and Papagiannis was moved up to 22 last minute once the Kings traded for that pick from what I remember yesterday).

Their prospect ranks/big board were a little different:

DX #10 ranked (skal)
DX#35 ranked (Richardson)
DX #50 ranked (big poppa)
DX #65 ranked (cousins)
I listened to 2 podcasts yesterday (recorded the night before) who mentioned Big George as someone that was possibly moving into the middle of the first round.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I only caught the last part of Grant's interview and he talked about "THREE PLAYERS" and that one of three needs to pan out. Who was left out of this discussion? Malachi or Skal?

I only caught the last part of Grant's interview and he talked about "THREE PLAYERS" and that one of three needs to pan out. Who was left out of this discussion? Malachi or Skal?
Isaiah Cousins?

He was referring to our 1st round pick this year. He believes this is a weak draft and 1/2 of the lotto will bust. He said the Kings only need 1 of 3 picks in the 1st round to reach their potential for this to be a successful draft for us. 13th overall: Papagiannis 22nd: Richardson 28th: Skal

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Isaiah Cousins?

He was referring to our 1st round pick this year. He believes this is a weak draft and 1/2 of the lotto will bust. He said the Kings only need 1 of 3 picks in the 1st round to reach their potential for this to be a successful draft for us. 13th overall: Papagiannis 22nd: Richardson 28th: Skal
Ohh, okay.

I though players one and two were Bogdan and Big George. Heard both their names at the end, and neither of the other guys. To be honest I was only half-listening when Grant was talking because I can't stand the sound of him.

Matt (Philadelphia)

Hi Kevin, which pick and which trade last night most surprised you (in either a good or bad way)

Kevin Pelton
(3:09 PM)

Papagiannis going 13 has to be the biggest surprise, though I wouldn't confuse that for mistake. There's certainly reason to believe that Papagiannis could be quite good. On the trade front, probably most surprised by how much the Magic were willing to give up for a seemingly declining Serge Ibaka. The obvious explanation is they wanted to win now but it's not clear Ibaka is better than Victor Oladipo right now, as I wrote about last night: http://espn.go.com/nba/insider/stor...r-golden-state-warriors-serge-ibaka-trade-nba

IMO this draft only makes sense if we unload Cousins. Again, MO, this needs to be our highest priority right now.

If Cousins didn't do what Kayte C said this morning, get up, and march right into the FO and ask for a trade ASAP then I really have to question his sanity. The writings on the wall big fella. Your 26. It's time to go.