Let's discuss new guys (from June 2016)

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
a welcome thread might be too early until we see if there any moves here, you would think so...I don't see all these guys sticking around.

Georgios is Greek; Bogdanovic is Bosnian; and our GM is Serbian, I would probably have to listen to what Vlade has to say about our draft but I have confidence that he didn't just drafting his peers for giggles.

So happy for the trade. Especially for Bogdanovic, maybe he's not the most talented one, but finally a guard which plays with that fire I wanna see.
Thanks Vlade for bringing back some european style.

Georgios is Greek; Bogdanovic is Bosnian; and our GM is Serbian, I would probably have to listen to what Vlade has to say about our draft but I have confidence that he didn't just drafting his peers for giggles.
Well, since 3 of the 5 new Kings are not native English speakers (Skal, French-Creole) Vlade may as well give his presser some other language besides English. Probably would not make any difference considering tough, probing questions from local Kings beat reporters ;)

a welcome thread might be too early until we see if there any moves here, you would think so...I don't see all these guys sticking around.
Papagiannis will most likely stay (you don't reach for a player like that unless you have a trade ready or you really want him) and I'm pretty sure Richardson will stay aswell (since he was drafted for need).

I think Skal was just Vlade seeing a high upside guy there and grabbing him, it also makes zero sense to have so many 7 footers on the team- so I can see Skal being moved in a package.

Well, since 3 of the 5 new Kings are not native English speakers (Skal, French-Creole) Vlade may as well give his presser some other language besides English. Probably would not make any difference considering tough, probing questions from local Kings beat reporters ;)
Georgios spent his Junior year of high school in Philly.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Papagiannis will most likely stay (you don't reach for a player like that unless you have a trade ready or you really want him) and I'm pretty sure Richardson will stay aswell (since he was drafted for need).

I think Skal was just Vlade seeing a high upside guy there and grabbing him, it also makes zero sense to have so many 7 footers on the team- so I can see Skal being moved in a package.
Move Skal? nooo he is a keeper...a big rotation of Cousins, Trill, Skal, Koufos and Papa who will get the least amount of minutes anyway, if any.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Underwhelming draft, but the summer ain't over and these guys are Kings now.

Welcome aboard fellas!! Hopefully at least one of you guys pans out!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
This is one of those drafts that make or break a franchise. If half of these guys pan out, you don't have to worry about missing out on the next few drafts thanks to past mistakes AND, position pending, can move those guys for potentially increased value down the road.

If none of the guys pan out, which is a possibility, and you completely sit on your hands in free agency, which is not likely, then you've essentially wasted another year and have probably lost your star in the process.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I think one of the most important things that happened today was clearing some cap space and filling roster spots at the low end with cheap prospects. This should allow the Kings 2 sign at least one maybe two solid free agents to fill the holes at point guard and shooting guard. It's very likely some of our big players may be moved in a trade for one of those spots. For the team to succeed this year we have to concentrate Talent and that means you either overpay for bench players or load up the Deep bench with young prospects.

I knew nothing about these players before the draft. But after looking at some video on them I feel pretty good about all of them. They are all either very good shooters and/or very mobile. Malachi, Skal and Bogden are all good shooters with a lot of upside potential. Georgios is huge, very mobile for his size, can score and is a shot blocker. Bogden reminds me of Curry the way he hits shots under pressure. Malachi can shoot off balance and has good lateral movement. Skal should be a good back up at at least. I haven't looked at Cousins yet.

Interestingly, Vlade mentioned IT-Boogie as a "help with the, ehh, being backup PG". Hopefully, Kings expect him to be 3rd PG at best.
So, I assume, Kings depth chart at this point looks like
Boogie/Kosta/Papagiannis
WCS/.../Skal or .../WCS/Skal
Gay/Casspi/Butler
.../BMac/Malachi
Rondo/Collison/ICousins

P.S. Skal and Malachi will be multi-year projects. Would've definitely taken Luwawu over Richardson. Athletic Channing Frey is fine at #28.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Considering what a Sacramento Kings draft has always meant in the past -- take our pick in turn and then call it a day -- I'm pleasantly surprised that we were the most active team in the league about leveraging our draft position to acquire multiple assets. I don't really know right now if all of these guys ever end up in a Kings uniform or not, but you can't say we didn't put in work today. We got a C, a PF, two SGs, and a PG. Not bad for starting the day with 2 picks. It would have been nice to land an elite prospect but the teams ahead of us drafted well for a change. If we can't get lucky, we can at least be smart and moving Belinelli for a first round pick is already a homerun in my book regardless of whether these players all pan out or not. This is a draft we'll be coming back to and re-evaluating for a long time. But for now, I'm happy to welcome whichever players do suit up for us in the new arena later this year.

Divac's post draft comments
My first draft reaction: Shock.
Second: Confusion.
Now: I feel better and Vlade sounded tired but I liked his confidence and I decided to think positively. Well, I do not have a choice at this point but I would rather have positive emotions. Hopefully it is not a total self bliss :) ...

European guys are very difficult to analyze. You cannot rely on stats. You need to see them play and not just one game or youtube videos. Papa's numbers are not impressive BUT the fact that he played for Panathinaikos at that age is a big deal. Big European clubs always favor veterans and allow only truly talented young guys to play at least 5-10 minutes. He could have probably dominated and put crazy numbers somewhere in Ukraine playing against 6'6" 195 lb centers but I would rather see him just play some minutes for clubs like Panathinaikos or CSKA or Maccabi. Summer League will be a great indicator for him.

I am glad the Kings traded down to get more picks... no two ways around it. They picked the guys they felt the best about; cool. Do I fully understand it? No. Did the Kings pass on someone fantastic to get Papa? No. Overall, I liked it. I guess I am still scorned about the Jimmer draft, but this felt like the opposite of the Jimmer draft.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Vlade even mentioned in the post draft interview that the asking price to move up and get their PG was too high and therefore decided to head in another direction, I can appreciate that approach. Why throw the whole farm for one player when you can make out with multiple prospects, yes...there are projects there but I'm not mad at all how it turned out. I will allow these guys to play and showcase what they can and cannot do before firing away.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Stauskas was a draft for need......turned out horribly. Jimmer was an undersized, non dribbling, ticket seller. How did that work out? TRob was drafted for need.

According to Vlade, he drafted WCS as BPA...an athletic freak.
Vlade taking 4 players with some really good length and athleticism. Good upside. Doesn't even take into consideration Bog who will come fairly NBA ready in a year.

Vlade's on the right track. I hope Vlade and company can add a backcourt piece in trade or FA. This is a steady progression in turning this around.