[Game] Kings vs. Mavericks, Friday 3/29 7:00PM PT/10:00PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Is it mentally weak, or is it just simply that the Kings don't have an enough true "killers"? The Kings don't have a 2nd guy that can pretty much pick their shots. The Mavs have two. One's a legit MVP level talent and the other isn't far behind. Monte has work to do.
Kings do have a second guy kinda. The problem is that Luka did a cannonball onto his kneecap seven minutes into the game and hurt him

Difference is their stars made tough shots. Our stars missed easy shots.

Kings get swept in the “mini-playoff series”

Fox was sub par again after sub par "game 1". Completely inefficient. 23 points on 22 shots.. Failed in the clutch. He was every bit as responsible as HB
for the backcourt brick at the end after seeing the replay of him anticipating the pass but then looking away from the ball. Fox needs to receive that pass.

Domas was up and down. His miss on an easy put back was quite deflating. Missed some key rebounds. Not a great mini series for him.

yes, Kings were out Monk. Who has been playing terribly but I’m not really using that as an asterisk because those points were found from Davion, Kessler and Keon. Kings were only in this game because of those guys and HB in the first half.

With or without Monk..Domas and Fox didn’t perform well enough for the Kings to win this game.

Refs sucked but what else is new

Kings suck at home.

extremely disappointed to say the least

Seeing Monk went down early in this one as well.

Our depth getting sapped is... man. Monk/Huerter/Lyles are 3 of our top 7 players and Sasha probably slots somewhere around 10th on our depth chart. It's hard to absorb that for such an extended period of time.

I still don't get how Luka/Kyrie get 20 FTA and Fox/Domas get 6 FTA. You just can't tell me they aren't getting fouled THAT much less than the other 2 stars on the other side.
Domas got screwed on some calls for sure. Fox wasn't really that aggressive to be honest. The Mavs got way better at the deadline, no doubt. Gafford and Lively are a tough, tough combo inside on defense and on the other end are dunks waiting to happen in pick and roll.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
No true leader and no offensive option who can just get his. Fox was that last year but he has regressed this season, regardless of what the stats say.
Counterpoint: it's even more amazing that Fox is top 10 in scoring this year when we keep seeing games like this where the other team's guy shoots 14 free throws to his 2.

We got one year where everyone was rooting for us to end the streak and light the beam but now we're right back to being the league's favorite punching bag while they do everything they can to push their big names to the forefront in March and April.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Fox was sub par again after sub par "game 1". Completely inefficient. 23 points on 22 shots.. Failed in the clutch. He was every bit as responsible as HB
for the backcourt brick at the end after seeing the replay of him anticipating the pass but then looking away from the ball

Domas was up and down. His miss on an easy put back was quite deflating. Missed some key rebounds. Not a great mini series for him.

yes, Kings were out Monk. Who has been playing terribly but I’m not really using that as an asterisk because those points were found from Davion, Kessler and Keon. Kings were only in this game because of those guys and HB in the first half.

With or without Monk..Domas and Fox didn’t perform well enough for the Kings to win this game.

Kings suck at home.

The issues is that Keon’s production is already mostly there to cover Huerter and Lyle’s production so you’re subtracting Monk’s numbers from a team already down a good 20+ points a game.

for the backcourt brick at the end after seeing the replay of him anticipating the pass but then looking away from the ball

Kings suck at home.

Not all are stars are the same, sadly. Theirs are superstar. If Luka and Kyrie are stars, Fox and Ox are probably non star.

No idea why they double team out by half court. Just breaks it all down
Exactly. You can mix those in but can’t do it every time down
Don’t particularly love our remaining schedule. Not completely confident the play-in is a lock.
This crossed my mind as well. Injuries piling up, tough schedule, our 2 stars Fox and Sabonis been solid but not great, it’s a real possibility the team goes on a slide here. Lakers and Rockets been playing good, the Warriors are gonna be locked in to close the year…

Kings do have a second guy kinda. The problem is that Luka did a cannonball onto his kneecap seven minutes into the game and hurt him
He's definitely the only other option from the looks of it. Might be a repeat of Fox and Monk being the factors again come playoff time. Personally I think if Brown goes small like last game against this team this game could have been a blow out again with the way Fox and Domas played. Edwards, Keon, and Keegan all really stepped up the defense and made the Mavs work for it. Kidd last game and this game was hunting the mismatches.

Domas got screwed on some calls for sure. Fox wasn't really that aggressive to be honest. The Mavs got way better at the deadline, no doubt. Gafford and Lively are a tough, tough combo inside on defense and on the other end are dunks waiting to happen in pick and roll.
The point is, Fox and Domas, if called correctly, should pretty much never trail another star duo by 14 damn FTA. They're 2 of the most interior big/guards in the entire NBA. Domas absorbs contact on every damn play and they have to straight up murder him to get a call. I said this earlier in the year, but I'd bet my life savings if he played for the Lakers, he'd be leading the NBA in FTA. No doubt.

I did miss this one, so didn't see how it closed, but it absolutely seems like our depth all falling like flies is starting to take it's toll. The fact we found Keon has been able to stave it off for a bit, but you're just out so much offense and shooting with Monk/Lyles/Huerter/Sasha out of the game.

The point is, Fox and Domas, if called correctly, should pretty much never trail another star duo by 14 damn FTA. Domas absorbs contact on every damn play and they have to straight up murder him to get a call. I said this earlier in the year, but I'd bet my life savings if he played for the Lakers, he'd be leading the NBA in FTA. No doubt.

I did miss this one, so didn't see how it closed, but it absolutely seems like our depth all falling like flies is starting to take it's toll. The fact we found Keon has been able to stave it off for a bit, but you're just out so much offense and shooting with Monk/Lyles/Huerter/Sasha out of the game.
Yeah, but in this game they had to actually look for that contact which they really didn't. Domas has a hard time against these types of bigs, we know it by now. When teams clamp down the paint Fox looks for bank shots or floaters.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
can this team fall out of the playoffs all together or are we all most guaranteed to make it at this point?
Well, Houston hasn't been eliminated so, no, they're not guaranteed to finish in the Top 10. But, the Kings are 4 games ahead of the Rockets with 9 to go. If Sacramento goes 3-6 down the stretch, Houston has to go 7-2. That seems unlikely, even as hot as they've been.

Well, Houston hasn't been eliminated so, no, they're not guaranteed to finish in the Top 10. But, the Kings are 4 games ahead of the Rockets with 9 to go. If Sacramento goes 3-6 down the stretch, Houston has to go 7-2. That seems unlikely, even as hot as they've been.
Thanks for laying that out. I was just checking the standings, after looking at the remaining tough, tough schedule earlier this evening.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The thing about the Mavs is that it’s pretty much this year or bust for them at this point. ALL of their assets are gone now, this is the one season that Kyrie has managed to stay relatively healthy/not gotten suspended for dumb stuff/Antisemitism since he was a Cav, and they’re hitting the penalty aprons this summer. They did a solid job of retooling but this is pretty much it for them with Kyrie and THJ both older and on short term contracts, and no real draft assets left to refill their depth chart. And despite him beinag a Kings killer, I’m still not sure that trading Grant WIlliams for PJ Washington actually made the Mavs any better.

Among matches remaining Kings have to play @BOS @NY and face Suns, Clips and Pels at home.
Mavs were the favs for the 6th spot even if they had lost both matches at G1C (and would lose the tiebreaker too), now it seems impossible for them to enter the play in the way they have been playing lately, their schedule and their opponents schedule.
A potential win tonight would be a morale boost more for the remaining games but ofc that didn't happen.

MB mentioning the FT differential in the presser.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I mean, if Houston did go 7-2, that probably means they beat the Mavs, which would still be a win for the Kings as well

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Did they though? Maybe in some ways, but the difference was Barnes didn't dominate like he did in the first half. Shots didn't go in, Domas kind of got squashed and the refs gave him no favors again. The difference was the clear and apparent talent difference. They have two players that can get you 30 and there's nothing you can do about it. Barnes was the gap filler in the first half. He faded, and Fox and Domas didn't take over as a result. It is what it is. The good news is with Keon and Keegan as your 3 and D guys, if Monte can land another legit scorer at SF this might be a finished product.
The big difference was that Fox was ordinary. Absolutely ordinary. He had ONE LOUSY fast break burst to the basket in this game. Which he missed by the way. He had opportunities to GO in the open floor, but he didn't. Look, if Fox doesn't use his speed to put enormous pressure on the opposing team and in so doing make everybody on his team better, then what exactly is his special power???? He's no Curry in shooting. He's no Halliburton in assists. He's a fine defensive player when he puts his mind to it. But unless and until he uses his speed to put enormous pressure on the opposing team, he's just a pretty good player, not a special player. And pretty good isn't good enough for this team.

The thing about the Mavs is that it’s pretty much this year or bust for them at this point. ALL of their assets are gone now, this is the one season that Kyrie has managed to stay relatively healthy/not gotten suspended for dumb stuff/Antisemitism since he was a Cav, and they’re hitting the penalty aprons this summer. They did a solid job of retooling but this is pretty much it for them with Kyrie and THJ both older and on short term contracts, and no real draft assets left to refill their depth chart. And despite him beinag a Kings killer, I’m still not sure that trading Grant WIlliams for PJ Washington actually made the Mavs any better.
Yeah, I don't think they're contender but Luka and Kyrie with the big rotation they've got is about as good on paper as you can get with how they're built. The Issue is it's very possible they've jumped the Kings for the time being and are better built for playoff basketball right now. We'll see how it shakes out.

The big difference was that Fox was ordinary. Absolutely ordinary. He had ONE LOUSY fast break burst to the basket in this game. Which he missed by the way. He had opportunities to GO in the open floor, but he didn't. Look, if Fox doesn't use his speed to put enormous pressure on the opposing team and in so doing make everybody on his team better, then what exactly is his special power???? He's no Curry in shooting. He's no Halliburton in assists. He's a fine defensive player when he puts his mind to it. But unless and until he uses his speed to put enormous pressure on the opposing team, he's just a pretty good player, not a special player. And pretty good isn't good enough for this team.
I'd say he's special, but he clearly needs another player to lean on as a scorer. Is Monk enough? Not sure, hasn't been yet. Will Keegan become that 25 a night guy? Maybe, but I think he's finding the exact path he should be taking as the 3 and D forward. Keon and Keegan as the lock down artists who can still score and one more threat and then we're talking.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yeah, I don't think they're contender but Luka and Kyrie with the big rotation they've got is about as good on paper as you can get with how they're built. The Issue is it's very possible they've jumped the Kings for the time being and are better built for playoff basketball right now. We'll see how it shakes out.
They might be for this season but the one actual undeniable good thing about Monte sitting on his hands the past year is that it’s essentially turned the Kings into one of the two or three Western conference playoff teams with enough assets and useable salary space to make moves in response to this year’s playoff race. Minnesota, Denver, the Clippers, Dallas, Phoenix, the Lakers, and the Warriors are all stuck in varying stats of capped out and draft asset deficient

They might be for this season but the one actual undeniable good thing about Monte sitting on his hands the past year is that it’s essentially turned the Kings into one of the two or three Western conference playoff teams with enough assets and useable salary space to make moves in response to this year’s playoff race. Minnesota, Denver, the Clippers, Dallas, Phoenix, the Lakers, and the Warriors are all stuck in varying stats of capped out and draft asset deficient
For me, I’d say the only untouchables on the team are Domas and Murray.

Status
Not open for further replies.