[Game] Kings v. Spurs - 10/27/16 - 7:30 PM PDT

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Silver lining:
  • We played the Spurs even on the boards.
  • We got to the line, and shot a good percentage.
  • Assist rate was good: 22 assists on 28 made baskets.
  • Cousins avoided foul trouble, was available down the stretch, and kept us in the game.

On the other hand...

• Too many unforced errors against a team as disciplined as the Spurs.
  • Lost composure at the end of the third, during the stretch that cost us the game.
  • Got virtually nothing from the bench. On that note, still waiting to get two consecutive halves out of McLemore. Kid was equally as essential to the first half run as he was in the third quarter collapse.

Like our chances to head to Atlanta with a winning record.

Not a bad game...a close game is about as much as you can ask for against a 68 win team when you're on the second night of a B2B. They made the Spurs work for their points...the TO's and carelessness killed us.

I think Kawhi is truly becoming deserving of the superstar/top 5 player label...he was amazing tonight and against the Warriors the other night as well.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
It's been said Lebron can play all 5 positions and guard all 5. Well, Kawhi can play 4 and guard 4. No question he's one of top 5 players in NBA. Two time back-to- back defensive player of the year. Hell of a talent.
I wouldn't quite put him in the top 5...but top 10 for sure.

Spurs never shoot themselves in the foot, and this team is very young (not in age obviously, in playing together) - Joerger still doesn't know all the buttons, he should push at certain moments. Good thing, there are not many teams like Spurs in the League. Have another young/undisciplined, even if more powerful than Suns, team ahead - should be W, right?

What a fantastic game! The Kings are now definitively a team that nobody can take for granted. Cousins was simply brilliant. A show of superiority that I haven't seen for a long time. Clearly the Spurs win over the Warriors was not a mistake or a random "occurrence". They are back from last years failure much improved and Kawhi Leonard plays like a certain MVP candidate. So, a loss is a loss, but this Kings team will go far. In my opinion a certain playoff team. There is still some place for some adjustments with the second lineup, but I'm optimistic.

Lack of shot creating from the bench showed tonight.
They really struggled to make their shots tonight. Rebounding was pretty pathetic from our bench unit too. Total of 2 rebounds from our bench...all 2 from McLemore. Who would've thought?

We really need our role players to step up every game.

I'm ok with this loss, it's a learning experience. For Joeger too.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Spurs never shoot themselves in the foot, and this team is very young (not in age obviously, in playing together) - Joerger still doesn't know all the buttons, he should push at certain moments. Good thing, there are not many teams like Spurs in the League. Have another young/undisciplined, even if more powerful than Suns, team ahead - should be W, right?
I'd like to see Joerger play Cauley Stein with Cousins, I don't think we see them two play at all.

The whole bench together combined for only 2 rebounds this game. That sure didn't help.
But that was another encouraging game by the Kings. A loss is never pleasant, but there's a lot to expect this season, so it seems. On to the next one.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
At the very least, I won't feel horrible about my League Pass purchase this season.
I know I said that I would buy it tonight with a win, but I think I'm in. Questions are: team pass or league pass (I'd probably watch Celtic games some times) and should I buy it through comcast or just the online version? I need to have a little chit-chat with Comcast since they have jacked my bill up $100 in the last 6 months and Century Link is offering me service at 1/3rd the price, but all things being equal I think I'd side with the devil I know if they can come back down to my old rate.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
If he can maintain this kind of offensive production, I woul..he's one of the premier defensive players in the league as well.
I don't deny his defensive prowess, that was his calling card from the the time he was drafted. He morphed himself into a fine offensive player, with the help of a once in a lifetime hall of fame coach, but none the less, a top 5 player? Not right now.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Lack of shot creating from the bench showed tonight.
They really struggled to make their shots tonight. Rebounding was pretty pathetic from our bench unit too. Total of 2 rebounds from our bench...all 2 from McLemore. Who would've thought?

We really need our role players to step up every game.

I'm ok with this loss, it's a learning experience. For Joeger too.
Now that's the kind of "moral victory" that I can get behind. If the only thing to come out of this game is Joerger learning which lineups don't work, then it was a productive loss.

I'd like to see Joerger play Cauley Stein with Cousins, I don't think we see them two play at all.
I think Willie needs to earn his minutes. Despite Koufos missing his shots early in the game, it was obvious that the best lineup was with Cousins-Koufos.

Willie is still a huge liability on offense. He's a really good defender, but still doesn't know how to rebound.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Oh and also, I'm definitely buying 3 tickets to both games @Portland and scheduling a trip to Sac to see a game a G1 at least once this season. Holy crap seeing the neon signs in the concourse is just so wonderful. I used to live a block or two away from Franke's it's just so wonderful.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think Willie needs to earn his minutes. Despite Koufos missing his shots early in the game, it was obvious that the best lineup was with Cousins-Koufos.

Willie is still a huge liability on offense. He's a really good defender, but still doesn't know how to rebound.
It's not as if Koufos is much of a offensive player himself but I can see what Joerger is trying to do here. He doesn't want to throw Willie into the pit and play him 30 minutes or so....quite frankly, I don't know if he has the stamina for it right now but I'd still like to see them two play more than what we have seen in the preseason and the first two games.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I disagree . I felt like Kawhi had to work for almost all his shots tonight , and most of them were contested. Sometimes you just have to tip your hat to a player who played great .
Seems to me he always plays great when he plays the Kings....especially when he see's that number 8 defending him.

Kings were outgunned but they played a 48 minute game. There was really nothing the Spurs got that looked easy unless it was off turnovers..and that was the difference.

Just 2 games but the Kings look like a team that is primed to win more games than they lose. I've always felt that the Kings could have been that team for the last 3 years..a winning team..if only they weren't trying to play run n gun with a half court roster. "Hey, our best three players going into 2015-2016 is Cousins, Gay, and Rondo...Let's RUN"

I think people itt are being a little too hard on Kosta. He played well today and in his minutes vs. Phoenix. I roll my eyes every time that ugly floater goes up as well and he doesn't have the best hands...but overall his toughness, defense, rebounding and his 8 points(4-7) in 24 minutes are much needed...and were missed in the 4th quarter when Joerger stayed small for too long and Aldridge got going for the deathblow.

Lawson has been good but like in PHX he faded a bit in the second half. I believe Lawson has a little more to offer scoring wise. Would have liked to see him attack the basket a few more times.

I think Afflalo game offensively is too similar to Rudy's...which might explain why he seems like the odd man out offensively. I'm fine with that as long as he stays vintage Afflalo on defense..but i did hope he'd be a 12-14ppg addition.

In conclusion, i still like what i see...and not in the baby steps sense. I thought the Kings shift to half court defensive minded basketball would mean more than just a few more wins. We already had a taste of it and it was sabotaged..to me it's always been the difference between the Kings being a winning team and the Kings being a losing team. I expect the Kings to compete in these games and Joerger won't let them forget that Karl is gone. They can still be bit more patient on offense but that will come...the defense is kicking in right away.