Kings trade rumor SZN 2023-2024 edition!

He is an impact defender and 36% career 3pt shooter. In his last 5 seasons, he has shot 38%, 39%, 40%, 33%, and 38% from three, with the lower year being the year he was traded midseason and had some injuries. He can easily guard 2-4 and is sort of the prototype 3/D defender that we are always looking for, and with good size. You could run all sorts of fun lineups with him and Keegan on the wings, or sliding Keegan to the 2 to go jumbo.
He's legitmately one of the few perfect fits next to Domas at the 4. He's an elite defender and an elite shooter. Just flat out one of the best role player in the NBA. And with Keegan's continuing emergence as an elite defender, you're now surrounding Fox/Domas with 2 of the better switchable/flexible wing defenders in basketball that both can shoot extremely well. That seems good.

Feels like people asking haven't seen him play if they're just look at his steals and blocks numbers. He's very very good and he directly addresses the biggest problems this Kings core has.

Unless we got some other asset coming back with him, I would not trade 2 FRP in a deal for him though. But if we HAD to trade 2 FRP for somebody at this deadline (and no one available is worth that) DFS would be the guy I'd choose over the other widely talked about names (Grant/Lavine/Kuzma). I just think he impacts winning more than those guys do.

He's legitmately one of the few perfect fits next to Domas at the 4. He's an elite defender and an elite shooter. Just flat out one of the best role player in the NBA. And with Keegan's continuing emergence as an elite defender, you're now surrounding Fox/Domas with 2 of the better switchable/flexible wing defenders in basketball that both can shoot extremely well. That seems good.

Feels like people asking haven't seen him play if they're just look at his steals and blocks numbers. He's very very good and he directly addresses the biggest problems this Kings core has.

Unless we got some other asset coming back with him, I would not trade 2 FRP in a deal for him though. But if we HAD to trade 2 FRP for somebody at this deadline (and no one available is worth that) DFS would be the guy I'd choose over the other widely talked about names (Grant/Lavine/Kuzma). I just think he impacts winning more than those guys do.
naw, ive seen him play enough. they have to do way better then DFS at the 4 if they want to be true contenders.

why even use assets on him if he wont be the longterm answer. its really tricky building a team around sabonis at Center. hopefully montes got somethin up his sleeve.

just patiently waiting for that move to make a difference. Hey, I would love Jerami Grant , but don‘t think it’s going to happen, so yeah im’m quite okay with DFS, think it’s more realistic.

I think he will be a difference maker for the Kings. Regardless, it's still a tough road to the finals.
DFS brings experience but he’s not a spring chook, so I would still like a way to rustle Kris from Portland and bring him along.

I like the idea of Jalen Smith. I liked him in college a hoped we would sign him a couple of years ago. He has good size and can play both of and center. He rebounds, blocks shots, and is hitting his 3s. The acquisition of Siakam has given them too many players at the 4/5.

naw, ive seen him play enough. they have to do way better then DFS at the 4 if they want to be true contenders.

why even use assets on him if he wont be the longterm answer. its really tricky building a team around sabonis at Center. hopefully montes got somethin up his sleeve.
he can be affective for 3-4 more years not everyone we trade for needs to be in there mid twenties.
Smith plays PF all the time. he was pf when he dropped 17 & 13 on the kings.
And Sabonis shooting more 3’s should be a thing. Jerry Reynolds is really high on Jalen Smith.
I just don’t see how Smith helps us vs teams like the clippers, Minnesota, OKC, and Utah. He’s not gonna hurt them in the pain so they can stay small and blow by him on the offense. We need big wings that defend and can shoot

Tell me would the team be equally upset if he signs elsewhere either to a contender or getting his bag, or would they all say they want the best for him and are professionals? Sometimes I wonder about this fanbase. These players are professionals and understand the business.
In a perfect world, yes, but in the real world, no.. Ever work in a toxic work environment for a company that was succeeding?

How is an elite defender and an elite shooter NOT a perfect fit next to Domas?

A shot-blocking 4 that shoots 3's is basically JJJ, Chet or Wemby in the NBA right now. DFS isn't a rim protector, but he's a super flexible wing defender that can defend multiple positions and is a consistent 3pt threat.

A shot-blocking 4 that shoots 3's is basically JJJ, Chet or Wemby in the NBA right now. DFS isn't a rim protector, but he's a super flexible wing defender that can defend multiple positions and is a consistent 3pt threat.
Ya that player doesn’t exist cause like you said the guys you mentioned aren’t available. Also Sabonis played next to a shot blocker player who can shoot threes and it wasn’t a good result

Ya that player doesn’t exist cause like you said the guys you mentioned aren’t available. Also Sabonis played next to a shot blocker player who can shoot threes and it wasn’t a good result
Yeah Domas as the lone big on the floor has erupted his game into being an All-NBA talent. We shouldn't revert that and try and fit a square peg in a round hole.

At any rate, while rim protection is important, it's far more important to have versatile defenders capable of switching and putting pressure on shooters. Even as good as Rudy Gobert is, he still at times struggles when he gets put in space on a ball-handler. And dude is the best rim protector of the last decade.

DFS is not the answer to this teams problems. they wont be going far in the playoffs with a lineup like that.
im not gonna keep saying why i think hes not a perfect fit. check my last cuple posts.

Last edited:
DFS is not the answer to this teams problems. they wont be going far in the playoffs with a lineup like that.
im not gonna keep saying why i think hes not a perfect fit. check my last cuple posts.
He’s a better fit than Jalen Smith teams will probably tank to get the matchup with us if we plan on play two bigs. We have one strong wing defender that’s not gonna cut it

Ya that player doesn’t exist cause like you said the guys you mentioned aren’t available.
well unfortunately thats the level of player its gonna take to be a true contender. in my eyes at least. (JJJ, Chet..) There are young guys out there that could still develop into a player kinda like that. Eason, Patrick Williams, J Smith all still have untapped potential.

Maybe Keegan becomes a good enough defender and rebounder to play the 4 long term. And they find another wing defender for the 3 spot.

This is probably a comment for next year but what are the Rockets going to do with their wings? Cam Whitmore needs to start next year. Maybe you can give it one more season but not at the rate he is playing. That leaves one spot for Jabari, Tari and Thompson and we haven’t even mentioned Brooks yet. They probably feel like Tari can come off the bench and so can Thompson for a season. Will Brooks be on the move?

Thinking about the West next year is gross. Lakers, maybe Golden State and Utah could fall off a bit while Memphis, Houston and the Spurs could make huge jumps.

This is probably a comment for next year but what are the Rockets going to do with their wings? Cam Whitmore needs to start next year. Maybe you can give it one more season but not at the rate he is playing. That leaves one spot for Jabari, Tari and Thompson and we haven’t even mentioned Brooks yet. They probably feel like Tari can come off the bench and so can Thompson for a season. Will Brooks be on the move?

Thinking about the West next year is gross. Lakers, maybe Golden State and Utah could fall off a bit while Memphis, Houston and the Spurs could make huge jumps.
Spurs? not quite yet. They need to hit on a couple more lottery picks and/or land a disgruntled star

hes also almost 31, shoots 41 % from the field, not a shot blocker, below average free throw shooter, kinda weak rebounding #s for a PF.. the Kings are a team that needs more toughness and intensity there.. I dont know, i just dont see it.
If i'm going to trade young players and multiple 1st rounders i would swing a little more for the fences and try and find someone that fits the core age of this team.
Yeah, 4.8 rebs over 29 minutes doesn't exactly thrill me for a pf. It's better than Barnes, but then DFS doesn't play with a rebounding vacuum like Sabonis either.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Anybody else think we should deal Monk in a package as an expiring asset with value and then compete on the FA market for him if thy want him? They will be doing that anyway.
We can offer Monk 2 years at 17.5m base if we keep him and then have full Bird rights. Or we can do a 1+1 deal where we have Bird rights and he drops the option and we pay him out after his 3rd year. Break even for him probably comes either way in the 5th year of either of those deals so he might think the best deal is the early-Bird with a 3rd year player option as a protection against injury.

Or he can sign for however many at the MLE if we let him go. He'd lose a lot of money and so he'd go to a team that can offer 20 right now.

Also, this is fine if you truly do land a bigger talent and decide we don't want to keep Monk. But because he is an expiring and there are no Bird rights on his contract (not even the early-Bird transfers if I understand correctly) there is no way any team is going to give us anything good in a deal. Our best bet is keeping him and hoping they've already agreed in principle on the next deal to bridge us into the Bird years.

This was floated by Bobby Marks on an insider article on espn a week ago. Huerter for Gary Harris and Orlando’s 2025 first round pick which isn’t bad if we can make it a three team. We send Harris, Lyles, Orlando’s first, our 2026 first, and 2028 first to Portland for Grant.

We can go big with our starters Fox, Keegan, Grant, Barnes, and Sabonis. We don’t lose that much on shooting switching Grant/Huerter (Grant 40% 5.2 attempts, Huerter 37% 5.6 attempts) while gaining a lot on defense and flexibility. We’d probably be locked into a core of Fox/Keegan/Grant/Sabonis for the next 4-6 years while loosing monk after

Fox
Keegan/Monk
Grant/Daurte
Barnes/Sasha
Sabonis/Len

https://www.si.com/nba/magic/trade-...rade-idea-kevin-huerter-sacramento-kings-espn

This was floated by Bobby Marks on an insider article on espn a week ago. Huerter for Gary Harris and Orlando’s 2025 first round pick which isn’t bad if we can make it a three team. We send Harris, Lyles, Orlando’s first, our 2026 first, and 2028 first to Portland for Grant.

We can go big with our starters Fox, Keegan, Grant, Barnes, and Sabonis. We don’t lose that much on shooting switching Grant/Huerter (Grant 40% 5.2 attempts, Huerter 37% 5.6 attempts) while gaining a lot on defense and flexibility. We’d probably be locked into a core of Fox/Keegan/Grant/Sabonis for the next 4-6 years while loosing monk after

Fox
Keegan/Monk
Grant/Daurte
Barnes/Sasha
Sabonis/Len

https://www.si.com/nba/magic/trade-...rade-idea-kevin-huerter-sacramento-kings-espn
So essentially Huerter+Lyles+ 2 FRP for Grant?

God no. That's a Vlade trade if I've ever seen one.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Do people not realize the Mavs went from being one of the better defensive teams in the league to being the Luke Walton Kings on defense pretty much the second they traded him? (replacing Brunson with Kyrie also helped them plummet)

Do people not realize the Mavs went from being one of the better defensive teams in the league to being the Luke Walton Kings on defense pretty much the second they traded him? (replacing Brunson with Kyrie also helped them plummet)
Exactly. The easily impressed national media types fawned over the Kyrie trade and how Kyrie and Luka would be unstoppable. But the really smart NBA people asked "who is going to play defense on the wing?" The people who really paid attention knew that losing DFS was going to really hurt Dallas, and it did. They plummeted out of the playoff race, couldn't stop anybody, and had no wing size. A lot of the focus was on the troubles that Luka and Kyrie were having coexisting on offense, but the bigger reason was the huge void on defense caused by the loss of DFS.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Weird how this team with so many assets they could give away for Dame and then be a championship team with Dame ... sucks?