Kings trade rumor SZN 2023-2024 edition!

The more I think about it, the more I think we need to avoid trading a 1st round pick this year.

We should hold onto our 1st round pick flexibility to give us the ability to go after a big upgrade down the road (if needed). If we’re trading 1sts now, we’re essentially committing to our current core being good enough to compete for a championship team. I don’t think we need to paint ourselves into that corner just yet. We have time considering the age of our core.

With that in mind, I have two trade scenarios which I think could make some sense for us…

TRADE #1

———————————

BKN Gets: Davion Mitchell, Chris Duarte, & 2025 SAC 2nd
BKN Gives: Royce O’Neale
Why for BKN? The Nets are currently the 11th seed with a 17-27 record. Keeping a 30 year old expiring in O’Neale doesn’t make a ton of sense. Instead, they flip him for a couple guys who still have 1.5 years left on their rookie deals and a 2025 2nd. Most importantly, they preserve their cap space for the 2025 off-season giving them a chance to add a big name alongside Bridges, C. Johnson, and Claxton.

PG - Dinwiddie / Mitchell / Smith Jr.
SG - Bridges / Thomas / Walker
SF - Johnson / Duarte / Whitehead
PF - Finney-Smith / Simmons / Watford
C - Claxton / Sharpe / Clowney / Giles

———————————

SAC Gets: Royce O’Neale
SAC Gives: Davion Mitchell, Chris Duarte, & 2025 SAC 2nd
Why for SAC? Mitchell and Duarte are more or less no longer in the rotation and O’Neale would give us a solid 3&D wing defender who has good length and can guard multiple positions. With his length, strength, defense, ballhandling, passing, and rebounding, you could get away with playing him at SG, SF, or PF.

PG - Fox / Monk / Ellis
SG - Huerter / O’Neale / Jones
SF - Murray / Vezenkov / Edwards
PF - Barnes / Lyles
C - Sabonis / Len / McGee

———————————

TRADE #2

———————————

ORL Gets: Harrison Barnes
ORL Gives: Jonathan Isaac
Why for ORL? The Magic are currently in the 8th seed but are 27th in 3PA, 30th in 3P%, and 6th in DefRTG. Isaac is obviously very impactful defensively when he plays but the Magic also have Carter Jr. and Bitadze who can take over his minutes and provide good defense to help lessen the loss of Isaac. In exchange, they get a great shooter in Barnes who can help open up the paint for Banchero and Wagner to feast. Barnes’ deal also comes off the books right before Banchero is due for a new contract.

PG - Suggs / Anthony / Fultz
SG - Black / Harris / Houstan
SF - Wagner / Barnes / Howard
PF - Banchero / Ingles / Okeke
C - Carter / Bitadze / Wagner

———————————

SAC Gets: Jonathan Isaac
SAC Gives: Harrison Barnes
Why for SAC? Barnes has mainly been delegated to the 6th option (Fox, Monk, Huerter, Murray, and Sabonis). If you’re that low in the pecking order, you ideally want someone who can impact the game in other ways. Isaac gives us a DPOY level type defender who is very long & versatile. He easily has the ability to play next to Sabonis at PF defensively. It’s just a question if Isaac can improve his shooting and stay healthy. At the very least, he’d be an upgrade as our backup C and help lockdown the defense.

PG - Fox / Ellis / Mitchell
SG - Huerter / Monk / Jones
SF - Murray / Duarte / Edwards
PF - Lyles / Vezenkov
C - Sabonis / Isaac / Len / McGee

———————————

Obviously, you could do both of these trades at the deadline (Barnes, Mitchell, Duarte, & 2025 SAC 2nd for Isaac & O’Neale). That’d be a lot of defense, size, & length added to this core.

Barnes for Isaac may be a bit tough to swallow just because if Isaac goes down with an injury, you’ve essentially traded a starter for nothing. I’d probably lean towards just doing the O’Neale deal and see how adding a long, versatile 3&D wing helps this group. And if we resign O’Neale to a reasonable contract, he could easily hold 1st round pick trade value (which would be a good ROI since we would have only given up Mitchell, Duarte, & the 2025 SAC 2nd).

The more I think about it, the more I think we need to avoid trading a 1st round pick this year.

We should hold onto our 1st round pick flexibility to give us the ability to go after a big upgrade down the road (if needed). If we’re trading 1sts now, we’re essentially committing to our current core being good enough to compete for a championship team. I don’t think we need to paint ourselves into that corner just yet. We have time considering the age of our core.

With that in mind, I have two trade scenarios which I think could make some sense for us…

TRADE #1

———————————

Why for BKN? The Nets are currently the 11th seed with a 17-27 record. Keeping a 30 year old expiring in O’Neale doesn’t make a ton of sense. Instead, they flip him for a couple guys who still have 1.5 years left on their rookie deals and a 2025 2nd. Most importantly, they preserve their cap space for the 2025 off-season giving them a chance to add a big name alongside Bridges, C. Johnson, and Claxton.

———————————

Why for SAC? Mitchell and Duarte are more or less no longer in the rotation and O’Neale would give us a solid 3&D wing defender who has good length and can guard multiple positions. With his length, strength, defense, ballhandling, passing, and rebounding, you could get away with playing him at SG, SF, or PF.

PG - Fox / Monk / Ellis
PF - Barnes / Lyles

———————————

TRADE #2

———————————

ORL Gets: Harrison Barnes
ORL Gives: Jonathan Isaac
Why for ORL? The Magic are currently in the 8th seed but are 27th in 3PA, 30th in 3P%, and 6th in DefRTG. Isaac is obviously very impactful defensively when he plays but the Magic also have Carter Jr. and Bitadze who can take over his minutes and provide good defense to help lessen the loss of Isaac. In exchange, they get a great shooter in Barnes who can help open up the paint for Banchero and Wagner to feast. Barnes’ deal also comes off the books right before Banchero is due for a new contract.

PG - Suggs / Anthony / Fultz
SG - Black / Harris / Houstan
SF - Wagner / Barnes / Howard
PF - Banchero / Ingles / Okeke
C - Carter / Bitadze / Wagner

———————————

SAC Gets: Jonathan Isaac
SAC Gives: Harrison Barnes
Why for SAC? Barnes has mainly been delegated to the 6th option (Fox, Monk, Huerter, Murray, and Sabonis). If you’re that low in the pecking order, you ideally want someone who can impact the game in other ways. Isaac gives us a DPOY level type defender who is very long & versatile. He easily has the ability to play next to Sabonis at PF defensively. It’s just a question if Isaac can improve his shooting and stay healthy. At the very least, he’d be an upgrade as our backup C and help lockdown the defense.

PG - Fox / Ellis / Mitchell
SG - Huerter / Monk / Jones
SF - Murray / Duarte / Edwards
PF - Lyles / Vezenkov
C - Sabonis / Isaac / Len / McGee

———————————

Obviously, you could do both of these trades at the deadline (Barnes, Mitchell, Duarte, & 2025 SAC 2nd for Isaac & O’Neale). That’d be a lot of defense, size, & length added to this core.

Barnes for Isaac may be a bit tough to swallow just because if Isaac goes down with an injury, you’ve essentially traded a starter for nothing. I’d probably lean towards just doing the O’Neale deal and see how adding a long, versatile 3&D wing helps this group. And if we resign O’Neale to a reasonable contract, he could easily hold 1st round pick trade value (which would be a good ROI since we would have only given up Mitchell, Duarte, & the 2025 SAC 2nd).
issac can be had for far less than barnes

Last edited:
I'm thinking that maybe over the 3 day break, they told Barnes that he wasn't going to be traded. Maybe the writing was already on the wall that they couldn't find a deal they wanted, so decided to make a change for of the rest of the season with a commitment to an increased usage of Barnes?
Could be, one thing we know though is Monte has shown no issues with potentially showcasing. Fox was kept on the bench as he showcased Haliburton and Davion that year. No doubts the way it turned out.

issac can be bad for far less than barnes
Can he?

From what I’ve seen, Barnes’ value is considered to be around neutral or a 2nd on his current contract. I have Isaac’s value right around the same.

Do you think a team would surrender a 1st for Barnes? If so, what team are you thinking about?

Can he?

From what I’ve seen, Barnes’ value is considered to be around neutral or a 2nd on his current contract. I have Isaac’s value right around the same.

Do you think a team would surrender a 1st for Barnes? If so, what team are you thinking about?
Lets see if leading up to the deadline the Barnes revenge tour continues. I'm starting to think that the hold up in the Siakam deal and why they were even talking off an on for so long was Monte was trying to pick up picks in 2024 to send to the Raptors. I'm guessing the current answer on Barnes/Davion/Huerter getting a first in return was a no go and maybe that's why the talks went dead.

Trade: Kings/Nets/Bulls
Kings Give:
Mitchell/Veze/'26 LP FRP/'27 2nd rnd (Nets)
Huerter/Coby Jones/'26 LP FRP/'25 2nd rnd (Bulls)

Kings GET:
DFS/Royce O' neal/ Caruso

Nets GIVE:
Cam Johnson/Dinwiddie/'27 FRP via Phili (1-8 protected) (Bulls)

DFS/O' neal (Kings)

Nets GET:
Lavine/Mitchell/Veze/Patrick Williams/'26 LP FRP(sac) /'27 2nd rnd(sac)

Bulls Give:
Lavine/Williams (Nets)
Caruso (Kings)

Bulls GET:
Cam Johnson/Dinwiddie/Huerter/Jones/'27 FRP 1-8 Protected (Nets)/'26 LP FRP(sac) /'25 2nd rnd (sac)

KINGS:
Fox/Monk/Ellis
Caruso/Monk/Duarte
HB/Royce O'Neal/DFS
Murray/Lyles/DFS
Sabonis/Lyles/Len/Mcgee

Gains significantly better long defensive players with all 3 new kings being defensive Doggs. Keeps HB and his locker room leadership and occasional offensive explosions in the fold without losing significant shooting with the loss of Huerter. DFS is HB 2.0 on the floor but younger (and better defender). Caruso is as good a rebounder and playmaker as huerter but a defensive beast.

Nets:
Mitchell/Simmons (starter when returns)/smith JR
Lavine/cam thomas/lonnie walker
Bridges/Walker/whitehead
Pat Williams/Veze/Clowney
Claxton/Sharpe

Bulls
Dinwiddie/White/Dasunmu/carter
Huerter/Carter/Colby Jones
Derozan/Craig/Colby Jones
Cam Johnson/Terry/derozan
Vuc/Drummond

Thoughts?

Attachments

If you think this I don't know what to say. DFS is one of the more versatile defenders in the league, a good floor spacer, and fits a particular need on this team. He isn't an elite player, but he can is a great role player who can fill a particular need on this team.

Does he put you over the top and make you a title favorite? Probably not. And maybe that is the rub against him. But does he make the team better and a more formidable playoff team? I think so. He and Keegan would be an incredibly long, switchable, defensive oriented presence on the wings, and allow you to have two guys who can actually guard elite offensive players on the wing. Depends on what you are giving up and what assets you would have left after making the move, but in a vacuum it makes a lot of sense.
Thanks for the reply. Do you think DFS's defense makes up for HB's offense? This day and age I think defense is a little bit overrated because of all the three point shots. He can be a 3 and D player, but he hasn't been consistent on his 3pt shots.

TRADE #1

———————————

PG - Fox / Monk / Ellis
PF - Barnes / Lyles
I love the TRADE #1, if O’Neale's as good as advertised. As the season progresses I like our roster integrity, if HB and Huerter keep their solid plays.

Meanwhile in deluded Bulls fan land…

there are like five players I’d be willing to trade Keegan for at this point and Lavine is definitely not one of them
I love how we always overvalue our players but everyone else dramatically undervalues them. Im not sure id trade Barnes and Huerter for Lavine... Im definitely not throwing Murray in their and i dont think the kings can even trade the 2025 pick due to the Stepien rule.

Honestly best move would trading for some combination of Grant, Caruso, DFS/O'Neal. Fox/Doma/Murray and for me even Monk, are not on the table.

Anybody else think we should deal Monk in a package as an expiring asset with value and then compete on the FA market for him if thy want him? They will be doing that anyway.

Anybody else think we should deal Monk in a package as an expiring asset with value and then compete on the FA market for him if thy want him? They will be doing that anyway.
Monk ain’t signing here if he’s traded has that ever even happened

I think we see Davion and or Sasha and or Colby moved. Those guys have varying degrees of value that we could move in a low level deal for a guy like ONeale or DFS or Thybulle, etc

When this team is clicking, including Huerter and HB, it’s a tough squad.
This proposed trade had us sending Mitchell, Daurte, and 2027 first for DFS. I think that’s a really good deal for Brooklyn and us while not touching our top six. We can close with a lineup of Fox, Keegan, DFS, Barnes, and Sabonis

You mean trade Monk right now? The players would be pissed. We are trying to win now. Free agency can wait
Is that a joke?

This team lacks backcourt depth, interior defense, and the toughness both physically and mentally to win in the playoffs. That's why Draymond and Looney ate the Kings lunch and Curry drove the dagger home in the playoffs. The Kings folded. If Kevin and Barnes and Sabonis (injury) showed up, the team makes a playoff run. There's no way this team is ready to beat NOLA, Denver, Memphis, or LA in a series. IDK why fans drastically overrate this team's capabilities.

There's a very real possibility that Monk doesn't re-sign here. Then what? We let an asset walk. If Monk does want to sign here, he's likely wanting 15-20 mil per year at least. That presents an issue with the cap that will need to be addressed, because the team won't be able to shore up those other problem areas.

There may be trade packages out there that actually make the Kings better suited for a playoff run NOW, according to your logic.

Monk ain’t signing here if he’s traded has that ever even happened
Handshake deals have happened. Even so, if the team gets a package of Bogi and Murray for KH and Monk (maybe fillers of picks and young players, allows ATL cap flexibility to restructure), our backcourt immediately improves with manageable deals.

Fox/DM
Murray/Bogi
Keegs/Barnes
Barnes/Lyes/Sasha
Sabonis/Lyes/McGee/Len

Then you can go after a better defensive stretch player using Barnes and picks to get a player like DFS and your rotation looks like:

Starters:
Fox
Murray
Keegs
DFS
Sabonis

Bench:
Bogi
Lyles (if kept)
Sasha (if kept)
McGee/Len

That's very much improved team.

Not how people work.

"Sorry man, we're going to trade you, but don't worry, we'll give you an offer this off-season!"

Also, we wouldn't be able to give him an offer, because we'd be forfeiting his early bird rights. So the most we could offer is the MLE... which is what we signed for us 2 years ago. Think he'll just do that again after we dealt him for no reason?

Monk is the heart and soul of this team. He's not the best player, but he's certainly one of the most important. You'd just be throwing 1 year and a half of progress away for nothing.

We could technically trade for both Finney-Smith and O’Neale without having to give up anyone in our 7 man rotation (Fox, Huerter, Murray, Barnes, Sabonis, Monk, & Lyles).

Dorian Finney-Smith
Royce O’Neale
Dennis Smith Jr.

for

Sasha Vezenkov
Davion Mitchell
Chris Duarte
Kessler Edwards
2026-28 SAC 1st (Top 10 Protected)
2025 POR 2nd

That gives us a depth chart of…

PG - Fox / Monk / Ellis / Smith Jr.
SG - O’Neale / Huerter / Jones
SF - Murray / Barnes
PF - Finney-Smith / Lyles

…and a potential minute rotation of…

PG - Fox (34) / Monk (14)
SG - O’Neale (24) / Monk (10) / Huerter (14
SF - Murray (32) / Huerter (10) / Barnes (6)
PF - Finney-Smith (24) / Barnes (18) / Lyles (6)
C - Sabonis (34) / Lyles (14)

Fox = 34 min
Sabonis = 34 min
Murray = 32 min
O’Neale = 24 min
Finney-Smith = 24 min
Monk = 24 min
Huerter = 24 min
Barnes = 24 min
Lyles = 20 min

O’Neale, Murray, and Finney-Smith would be a ton of length, defense, versatility, shooting, and rebounding between Fox & Sabonis. I think our defense would take a substantial leap with those guys here. Then you have easily the best bench in the league headlined by Monk, Huerter, Barnes, & Lyles. You’d basically have to fully commit to playing small ball 5 when Sabonis is out but with the added size, length, defense, and rebounding on the wing, it might make that more realistic in Brown’s eyes.

Last edited:
We could technically trade for both Finney-Smith and O’Neale without having to give up anyone in our 7 man rotation (Fox, Huerter, Murray, Barnes, Sabonis, Monk, & Lyles).

Dorian Finney-Smith
Royce O’Neale
Dennis Smith Jr.

for

Sasha Vezenkov
Davion Mitchell
Chris Duarte
Kessler Edwards
2026-28 SAC 1st (Top 10 Protected)
2025 POR 2nd

That gives us a depth chart of…

PG - Fox / Monk / Ellis / Smith Jr.
SG - O’Neale / Huerter / Jones
SF - Murray / Barnes
PF - Finney-Smith / Lyles

…and a potential minute rotation of…

PG - Fox (34) / Monk (14)
SG - O’Neale (24) / Monk (10) / Huerter (14
SF - Murray (32) / Huerter (10) / Barnes (6)
PF - Finney-Smith (24) / Barnes (18) / Lyles (6)
C - Sabonis (34) / Lyles (14)

Fox = 34 min
Sabonis = 34 min
Murray = 32 min
O’Neale = 24 min
Finney-Smith = 24 min
Monk = 24 min
Huerter = 24 min
Barnes = 24 min
Lyles = 20 min

O’Neale, Murray, and Finney-Smith would be a ton of length, defense, versatility, shooting, and rebounding between Fox & Sabonis. I think our defense would take a substantial leap with those guys here. Then you have easily the best bench in the league headlined by Monk, Huerter, Barnes, & Lyles. You’d basically have to fully commit to playing small ball 5 when Sabonis is out but with the added size, length, defense, and rebounding on the wing, it might make that more realistic in Brown’s eyes.
It’s gonna take two firsts to get that deal done DFS will have a bidding war and we’re adding O’Neal as well. Also with the trade we don’t need to switch the starting lineup we are elite if Huerter and barnes are playing at there level they can no need to try to fix what’s not broken. This trade would make our bench elite with Monk/O’Neal/Lyles/DFS great defense and offensive balance.

It’s gonna take two firsts to get that deal done DFS will have a bidding war and we’re adding O’Neal as well. Also with the trade we don’t need to switch the starting lineup we are elite if Huerter and barnes are playing at there level they can no need to try to fix what’s not broken. This trade would make our bench elite with Monk/O’Neal/Lyles/DFS great defense and offensive balance.
Finney-Smith is worth a 1st and O’Neale is worth a good 2nd. The value seems perfectly fine.

You’d ideally want to balance your offense and defense. Fox, Murray, & Sabonis is a fair amount of scoring. I could be convinced to keep one of Huerter or Barnes in the starting lineup with one of O’Neale or Finney-Smith coming off the bench but don’t think it makes sense to keep both Huerter and Barnes out there as I’d prefer an upgrade defensively vs. having 5 scorers on the floor.

I don’t like the idea of starting Fox - Murray - Barnes - Finney-Smith - Sabonis as your only above average ball handler/passers are Fox & Sabonis. I think you’d need to have at least one more (Huerter or O’Neale) out there to help keep the ball moving. I’d be fine with any of these 3 options…
  1. Fox - Huerter - Murray - DFS - Sabonis
  2. Fox - O’Neale - Murray - Barnes - Sabonis
  3. Fox - O’Neale - Murray - DFS - Sabonis
…but I’d prefer #1 or #3.

Is that a joke?

This team lacks backcourt depth, interior defense, and the toughness both physically and mentally to win in the playoffs. That's why Draymond and Looney ate the Kings lunch and Curry drove the dagger home in the playoffs. The Kings folded. If Kevin and Barnes and Sabonis (injury) showed up, the team makes a playoff run. There's no way this team is ready to beat NOLA, Denver, Memphis, or LA in a series. IDK why fans drastically overrate this team's capabilities.

There's a very real possibility that Monk doesn't re-sign here. Then what? We let an asset walk. If Monk does want to sign here, he's likely wanting 15-20 mil per year at least. That presents an issue with the cap that will need to be addressed, because the team won't be able to shore up those other problem areas.

There may be trade packages out there that actually make the Kings better suited for a playoff run NOW, according to your logic.

Handshake deals have happened. Even so, if the team gets a package of Bogi and Murray for KH and Monk (maybe fillers of picks and young players, allows ATL cap flexibility to restructure), our backcourt immediately improves with manageable deals.

Fox/DM
Murray/Bogi
Keegs/Barnes
Barnes/Lyes/Sasha
Sabonis/Lyes/McGee/Len

Then you can go after a better defensive stretch player using Barnes and picks to get a player like DFS and your rotation looks like:

Starters:
Fox
Murray
Keegs
DFS
Sabonis

Bench:
Bogi
Lyles (if kept)
Sasha (if kept)
McGee/Len

That's very much improved team.
I assure you that trading Monk will not go over well with the team.

I assure you that trading Monk will not go over well with the team.
I don't really care "what goes over well". I care about winning. If Monk isn't here next season of his own volition after internal discussions then what difference does it make? Remember when Bonzi turned down 30+ million and went his own way and was out of the league soon after? Either a player wants to get paid and play here or wants to get paid. The team could very well be in a position where they don't trade him, have another first round exit, then he doesn't sign here and the team is left trying to sign non-existent free agents they can afford instead of improving the team through trades.

I don't really care "what goes over well". I care about winning. If Monk isn't here next season of his own volition after internal discussions then what difference does it make? Remember when Bonzi turned down 30+ million and went his own way and was out of the league soon after? Either a player wants to get paid and play here or wants to get paid. The team could very well be in a position where they don't trade him, have another first round exit, then he doesn't sign here and the team is left trying to sign non-existent free agents they can afford instead of improving the team through trades.
Palm to forehead