Kings trade JT, Nik and Landry to Sixers (renamed)

S

sactownfan

You have 100 sport writers saying it's bad, including maybe the best NBA writer right now (Zach Lowe).

and than you have a local guy saying it's good....

Not the same...
Are you really going to bat for "all the sports writers"? lol! have you seen the news and stories about the Kings over the last month? Most people have no idea what their writing or talking about.......Minus what their "sources" / "agents" / "PETE D" are telling them... James Ham is assigned to the Kings... He is a Kings expert and makes some great points about the trade... A lot of people are not taking the time to read the fine print about how that trade works instead to just use it as an example to bash the kings again. lol!

One more time .... we should at least wait to see what the Kings get with their cap

You have 100 sport writers saying it's bad, including maybe the best NBA writer right now (Zach Lowe).

Not the same...
We won't really know if they trade is good until the cap space is used. If the money is used on third-tier players, then it will have been a bad trade because those players won't take the Kings anywhere.

You have to take what writers are saying with a grain of salt. Stauskas is being highly-overrated by people outside of the Kings fanbase who actually watched him play last year. Stauskas will probably be a 4th option of a good team, so not really much of a loss there when you are still trying to develop Ben. Landry was a waste a space as he could never stay on the court. Thompson while a decent big just needed a fresh start somewhere else.

People are hating on us because of what we might become. As stupid as we have been, we had PDA then and Divac now. Divac has already proved he's got common sense and a good head on his shoulders. Look, if we get Rondo and Wes:
-Rondo/Collison
-Wes/Ben
-Rudy or trade/Casspi
-WCS or Rudy/Moreland
-Cousins/unknown

I don't care what anyone has to say. That's a playoff team. Rondo will have tons of weapons to pass to (Cousins, Rudy, Wes, Ben, WCS for lobs), Cousins will do his thing and so will Rudy, Wes at 90% is better than Ben at 200%, and WCS is an unproven, but talented rookie. We need another big desperately, which we will probably try to acquire through trades, but that is a ton of potential. I would have dreamt of this lineup less than a year ago, and now we can actually make it happen! Will it? I don't know, but now there is a chance. All we have to do is strengthen up the bench with that lineup.

im not comparing... I'm pointing out that you have 2 sports writers that have 2 entirely different takes on this being a good or bad move... Its WAAAY to early to judge seeing how a lot of it will play out over the next few years... but maybe we should at least wait till we use our cap lol!
Exactly! We don't know! I don't care how good one sportswriter is compared to another, these write-ups aren't reports, they are opinion pieces. They can guess how this ends about as well as any of us can. The Kings may end up with everyone they want and it works. They may end up with everyone they want and it doesn't work. They may get no one they want, but instead sign 3 or 4 lower tier free agents who end up making a big impact and it works. They may get no one they want, sign 3 or 4 lower tier free agents who all underperform and it doesn't work. Those appear to be the options. We have to hope the leadership of Divac and Karl can make it work. I know a lot of people are off the Karl bandwagon right now, but don't forget, he is a coach that has made it work before.

This team needed something new, to break up the stagnation. I have gone back and forth with this trade, it's rolling the dice, but sometimes you have to shake it up. I don't think this team is too far away, I know we only ended up with 29 wins. However we have a superstar player in Cousins, a borderline All-Star in Gay, a solid PG in Collison, a rookie who seems to fit perfectly in what we need in Cauley-Stein, and who knows how McLemore will continue to develop. A couple of solid additions could push this team to the next level and now the Kings have the money to perhaps make that happen when they didn't before. There is at least something positive there.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Not the same...
Zach Lowe can bite me. His Sacto reporting has been crap for years now.

And that is of course the problem with almost all national writers. They really don't have a ****ing clue what is going on in a little berg like Sacto, so they all bleat at each other in a self-reinforcing cluster**** as they lemming right over the nearest available cliff.

Are you really going to bat for "all the sports writers"? lol! have you seen the news and stories about the Kings over the last month? Most people have no idea what their writing or talking about.......Minus what their "sources" / "agents" / "PETE D" are telling them... James Ham is assigned to the Kings... He is a Kings expert and makes some great points about the trade... A lot of people are not taking the time to read the fine print about how that trade works instead to just use it as an example to bash the kings again. lol!

One more time .... we should at least wait to see what the Kings get with their cap
I'm not talking about the talking-heads sport radio guys, I'm talking about guys who doesn't go by rumors... like Lowe, Pelton, Haberstroh and more. local guys are inherently biased and it takes no expert to do this.

this is not rumor based... so the rest is irrelevent.

We won't really know if they trade is good until the cap space is used. If the money is used on third-tier players, then it will have been a bad trade because those players won't take the Kings anywhere.

You have to take what writers are saying with a grain of salt. Stauskas is being highly-overrated by people outside of the Kings fanbase who actually watched him play last year. Stauskas will probably be a 4th option of a good team, so not really much of a loss there when you are still trying to develop Ben. Landry was a waste a space as he could never stay on the court. Thompson while a decent big just needed a fresh start somewhere else.
You can say a trade is good or bad before we finish doing that, a bad trade can lead to good things- it doesn't make it less bad.

If it will be good for me to buy a certain car if it costs less than 5 grand (let's say for gas money consideration)- it doesn't mean I made a good deal if I bought it at 4 when it's market value is 2...

I will be better than I was before- but I still made a crap deal...

Zach Lowe can bite me. His Sacto reporting has been poopoo for years now.

And that is of course the problem with almost all national writers. They really don't have a ****ing clue what is going on in a little berg like Sacto, so they all bleat at each other in a self-reinforcing cluster**** as they lemming right over the nearest available cliff.
His writing has been poopoo on us, and we have been poopoo- where is the problem exactly and how was he wrong?

Sometime the truth isn't fun to hear... it doesn't make it less true...

-Rondo/Collison
-Wes/Ben
-Rudy or trade/Casspi
-WCS or Rudy/Moreland
-Cousins/unknown
That is a really formidable lineup and not just for a remote run at the 8 seed. Would be nice to add a legit piece of beef down low who can give some fouls but wow - that lineup would have sounded far fetched two days ago before the salary purge. Now it looks fairly likely.

Any chance, any chance at all, to add Kosta to that mix?

That is a really formidable lineup and not just for a remote run at the 8 seed. Would be nice to add a legit piece of beef down low who can give some fouls but wow - that lineup would have sounded far fetched two days ago before the salary purge. Now it looks fairly likely.

Any chance, any chance at all, to add Kosta to that mix?
Maybe the Gudaitis kid acquired in the Philly trade comes over.....he fits that role based on observing the draft video.... strong, tough, was able to hold his own in the post defense against some big boys. If we can get a NBA vet in here great, if not, I'm going in this direction instead of a recycled type like Ryan Hollins.

His writing has been poopoo on us, and we have been poopoo- where is the problem exactly and how was he wrong?

I pretty stopped listening to him regarding the Kings when he said signing Demarcus to a max deal was a mistake and we should trade him instead of signing him.

Bricklayer

Zach Lowe knows MUCH less about this team than I do. Its not even a competition.

And there is no objective truth here. This is a trade of a bunch of future kids who could be nothing or everything, for a bunch of current capspace which could turn into nothing and everything.

These guys just spend their time trying to be the class clown on Twitter seeing who can get the most retweets for their sarcastic "jokes"

I'm surprised any of them have time to write any articles.

James Ham has limited access and carries water for ownership in an effort to get more. I listened to the podcast with Bruski and it was kind of obvious that Bruski is more knowledgeable and a better basketball mind.

Lowe is the best NBA writer today and it's a joke to compare him to Ham.

I think Lowe's take is right on: Kings paid a fair price to dump those contracts, but the trade doesn't make much sense given the current FA landscape and the state of the Kings roster. It's a panic move from an organization that is making panic moves it's calling card

Athleticism often measured by ability to jump (Achilles injury really kills that), when most important physical traits for basketball are mobility coupled with footwork, length and strength (core strength helps coordination and balance/absorbing contact, leg strength and core strength help leverage for better position). That's why Draymond Green had success despite not being fast or a high-flyer.
Just redefine athleticism to mean whatever you want it mean?:rolleyes: Athleticism includes quickness, speed, coordination, jumping height, jumping quickness, and whatever other trait you want to add (not subtract) to make it all inclusive. Also, the most important athletic attribute for a guard is quickness. I find it wishful thinking to believe that an achilles injury is no big deal for a guard, especially if you believe the guard doesn't have that much athleticism to begin with.

I'm not talking about the talking-heads sport radio guys, I'm talking about guys who doesn't go by rumors... like Lowe, Pelton, Haberstroh and more. local guys are inherently biased and it takes no expert to do this.

this is not rumor based... so the rest is irrelevent.

You can say a trade is good or bad before we finish doing that, a bad trade can lead to good things- it doesn't make it less bad.

If it will be good for me to buy a certain car if it costs less than 5 grand (let's say for gas money consideration)- it doesn't mean I made a good deal if I bought it at 4 when it's market value is 2...

I will be better than I was before- but I still made a crap deal...
Here's the catch though. No one except Vlade knows the true market value of Stauskas, Landry, Thompson and protected first-round draft pick. Not me, not you, and certainly not these arm chair GM's who masquerade as writers.

Bricklayer

Just redefine athleticism to mean whatever you want it mean?:rolleyes: Athleticism includes quickness, speed, coordination, jumping height, jumping quickness, and whatever other trait you want to add (not subtract) to make it all inclusive. Also, the most important athletic attribute for a guard is quickness. I find it wishful thinking to believe that an achilles injury is no big deal for a guard, especially if you believe the guard doesn't have that much athleticism to begin with.
Its not redefining athleticism, its knowing what it is an achilles primarily effects, and knowing what skills are primarily dependent on athleticism. A standstill set shooter can perform 99% of their shot with no athleticism involved at all.. A slashing power dunker needs ti every single attempt. An achilles injury doesn't magically effect every single aspect of athleticism equally, nor does every skill depend on the ones it does primarily effect.

Zach Lowe knows MUCH less about this team than I do. Its not even a competition.

And there is no objective truth here. This is a trade of a bunch of future kids who could be nothing or everything, for a bunch of current capspace which could turn into nothing and everything.
My point exactly- you know about this team everything, and your point of view is biased, you have limited knowledge about around the league stuff, about what we payed compared to other, about how much teams should pay on a salary dump etc..

You knowing all the little bits about the Kings doesn't give you an advantage when discussing if what they did is good or bad in a league wide perspective- again you could be better off doing something and still having a bad deal.

Its not redefining athleticism, its knowing what it is an achilles primarily effects, and knowing what skills are primarily dependent on athleticism. A standstill set shooter can perform 99% of their shot with no athleticism involved at all.. A slashing power dunker needs ti every single attempt. An achilles injury doesn't magically effect every single aspect of athleticism equally, nor does every skill depend on the ones it does primarily effect.
C'mon. You don't spend $15 mill for a standstill set shooter. You spend $15 mill for a guard who can get his own shot and defend. Both of those qualities are in question if you're subpar athletically in the NBA.

I think Lowe's take is right on: Kings paid a fair price to dump those contracts, but the trade doesn't make much sense given the current FA landscape and the state of the Kings roster. It's a panic move from an organization that is making panic moves it's calling card
If you will grant that much, that's pretty good.

Then it is just a difference of opinion on the current state of the Kings. I think the current state of the Kings is bonafide impending disaster (have another PACEy season - lose Cuz - scrape the bottom of the Western Conference forevermore) - so panic measure is warranted. But if Zach and you think the Kings were in a position to incrementally improve without a shake-up of this magnitude - and were going to round into a perennial deep playoff team given enough discipline and patience from the front office.. then ok - you have yours and I have mine.

But that is far from saying that the swap is a "fleecing" or a "disaster" for the Kings.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That is just seriously not true...
No, it is seriously true. Ever since the advent of social media, sports writers have been coming out of the walls ... and people will invariably credit them with much more knowledge than they actually have.

Afflalo just signed a 2 year 16 mil deal with Knicks.

My goodness, the Kings could of had him for somewhere in the 2 year 20 mil range and not be worried about recovery from an Achilles injury and had money left over to sign Rondo and a backup big.

No, it is seriously true. Ever since the advent of social media, sports writers have been coming out of the walls ... and people will invariably credit them with much more knowledge than they actually have.
I'm not talking about some bad bloggers, these guys talk with NBA GM's on a regular basis, they have access to almost every metrics NBA front offices have.

You are just backing up and sticking to your guns when someone criticize from the outside, that doesn't make you correct- and it sure as hell not make James Ham who's livelihood depends on inside information from the front office and can't talk trash about them right.

He's never been able to disentangle his ego from that mistake, and has gotten trapped doubling down and doubling down on it rather than manning up and starting over.
Here is what he said about Cousins earlier this year:

DeMarcus Cousins — Sacramento Kings
There is nothing in the NBA like peak Cousins. He is an unguardable monster on the block. The Kings are formidable when he plays and a D-League team when he sits. He was on track to be a no-brainer All-Star before coming down with viral meningitis and watching as the Kings decided they’d be better off with Tyrone Corbin coaching this season.

Yeah, he is doubling down alright...

Bricklayer

Afflalo just signed a 2 year 16 mil deal with Knicks.

My goodness, the Kings could of had him for somewhere in the 2 year 20 mil range and not be worried about recovery from an Achilles injury and had money left over to sign Rondo and a backup big.
Could, but as we saw last year Afflalo massively struggled and was a big step down from Matthews.

Healthy, Matthews might be the single best #1 in the entire league best fit for the Kings at SG. I salute them for recognizing that. But the injury is going to be an open ? until we see him in action.

Here's the article that allegedly "bashed" Boogie:

http://grantland.com/features/the-future-demarcus-boogie-cousins-nba-biggest-mystery/

Even though I disagree with the conclusion, it's a well written article that clearly shows that Lowe watched a ton of tape, broke it down in detail, and carefully reviewed Boogie's stats. His criticisms are fair and well defended. I think we've forgotten already how much Cousins improved over the last two years, and a lot of credit for that has to go to Malone. Cousins definitely has a lot of bad habits despite his tremendous talents. To use that article as a slam on Lowe is silly, and something I'd only expect from ideologues and people who don't trust stats and "nerds"