Kings trade JT, Nik and Landry to Sixers (renamed)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Free agency doesn't start until 9:01 PDT tonight but I figured I might as well start the thread so we have somewhere to share what will probably be an interesting bunch of leaks, rumors, guesses, bald-faced lies, etc.

Sean Cunningham ‏@News10Sean 3m3 minutes ago
Sources: Both Kings & Rajon Rondo have strong, mutual interest. Expected that they will talk tonight. Rudy Gay pushing hard for Rondo
Excellent news, if such. We need something to take us out of the downward spiral created by the Woj article.

And again, I would be ecstatic, and consider this offseason a HUGE win if we come out of it with just the two additions: WCS and Rondo.

Grab us a shooter and I'm even happier. However, I'm also ok with seeing if Nik can indeed become that great shooter we hoped he would.

S

Sacramental

Yes !!!!!! This has honestly made my day. Rajon Rondo at PG and its playoff time my friends bet on it

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
If we run out Rondo, WCS and Rudy(who's a poor floor spreader himself), we sure as **** better get a good and consistent 3pt threat at the 2.

Or spacing is going to be atrocious.

I would give Rondo a one year trial run. He's got everything to prove and we could certainly use him. I assume the starting line up would become
-Rondo
-Collison
-Rudy
-WCS/JT
-Cousins

In my opinion, if we are going to throw out a 2 PG line up, Rudy simply can't play the 4. That is too much size we are giving up. We have to be careful with what we wish for here, unless we acquire another starting SF caliber type player (which we can't unless we trade).

Rondo sucks. And he has an attitude problem. Rondo, Karl, and Cousins. Oh god...
Maybe all that craziness would be just right. Weirder things have happened. Sometimes, the attitudes of your teammates can push you to new and greater heights. Maybe I am making all of this up just to find the silver lining.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I would give Rondo a one year trial run. He's got everything to prove and we could certainly use him. I assume the starting line up would become
-Rondo
-Collison
-Rudy
-WCS/JT
-Cousins
No way. DC would be the backup. Might see both together in spurts but there's no way you can actually go into a season with that as your starting backcourt.

No way. DC would be the backup. Might see both together in spurts but there's no way you can actually go into a season with that as your starting backcourt.
I agree with you (I much prefer the traditional approach myself), but I am basing that starting line up on the news I keep reading that Karl prefers to have 2 PGs out there.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I've seen nothing suggesting Karl wants two PGs out there as starters and seen a few rumors suggesting he considers DC a backup, including redhead on his show today.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I agree with you (I much prefer the traditional approach myself), but I am basing that starting line up on the news I keep reading that Karl prefers to have 2 PGs out there.
I think this is being over-emphasized. George Karl will put out the best lineup for whatever team we're playing. Sometimes it will be 2 points, while other times will be traditional. One thing about him is that he tends to be pro-active instead of reactive, something we aren't used to seeing.

I've seen nothing suggesting Karl wants two PGs out there as starters and seen a few rumors suggesting he considers DC a backup, including redhead on his show today.
Hmm, maybe Bricklayer was the one mentioning it. I think he may have had a post showing that Karl prefers his lineups with 2 guards able to handle the offense.

Rondo is not as dead as people presume. Look up some of his Celtic games from last season, still capable of putting up triple doubles on any night. Rondo needs a free flow system where he dictates the pace(Karls system to a tee), Dallas was the absolute worst place for him to go, a stubborn coach that has a system and sticks to it. His basketball IQ and ability to dish guys into scoring positions is still there, his defensive awareness is still there, you could say he has lost a step laterally, but it's still about league wide average for an NBA PG, plus that's why we go get a WCS. On a one year deal he will do wonders for guys like Ben that can't create their own shot, even Nik if he can ignite his career. This is the kind of gamble we must take if we have any chance of keeping DMC long term. It's either this or sign some bottom of the barrel free agent like Ramon Sessions that doesn't move the needle in either direction.

His shooting is obviously a problem, but Darren is a good spot shooter especially from the corners. You hope Ben continues his upward climb and breaks 40 percent from 3, maybe Nik buts a nice season together off the bench and we can probably trade for a lower level shooter.

Who else would you realistically prefer ? Collison over Rondo really ?
Actually, yeah. Collison is on a very affordable contract. Who knows how much Rondo is going to cost.

You're also overlooking the fact of fit vs. talent. Collison is a very good fit with our current core which sometimes trumps talent (helps bring out the best in your team). And in this case, I'm not even sure Rondo has more talent than Collison considering how he has playing lately and his injury. Top it off with attitude problems and you could be looking at a downgrade.

Hmm, maybe Bricklayer was the one mentioning it. I think he may have had a post showing that Karl prefers his lineups with 2 guards able to handle the offense.
I don't think he will start with two PG's, but we will see it. He used Lawson and Miller together a lot. Collison/rondo is actually a nice pairing, Collison is a very good spot shooter from the corners.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I'd expect Karl to kick up the tempo when Cuz rests and our bench is out there and without Cuz as the focus of the offense at those times, it makes some sense to run two PGs who can get out and break frequently.

That however is quite different than starting two PGs which I'd say we'll never see unless injuries force it.