[Game] Kings @ Jazz - 12/10/16 - 6PT/9ET

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Realistically we won't have a chance at .500 until after the break.
It'll be too far gone then. The spiral is starting.

I want to be wrong, I want them to snap out of it, but we've all seen it far too many times over the last handful of seasons. Close losses that lead into blowouts lead to disinterest/flat "efforts" lead to bickering leads to finger pointing leads to losing 8 of 10 at which point the season (just .500!) is lost.

Start the tank early. Play the rookies. Luck into the 2 pick; and see what happens.
(Of course being the Kings, they would get the 8th pick, but I'll whine about that come lottery time)

I hope everybody realizes this is the best team we've faced in two weeks at least.

I swear one of the most bizarre things this year has been Kings fans alternately hopeless and kind of arrogant I guess. Everybody seems to think everybody we face is weak or a should win or...just no.

Utah is a good team. banged up. but a good team that may well have homecourt advantage in the first round this year. We're on their home floor. It's the second night of a back to back. And that was a huge factor given how dead legged Cuz looked too.

These are not "should win" situations. These are "hope we can win" situations.

We have dropped too many of them of course.
This Jazz team is missing three starters. We are what are record says we are. We havent even had injury issues yet. ENOUGH WITH EXCUSES

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Too many. At full strength they are a better built Kings team but we should have gotten this one given their injuries. It is what it is. Cousins didn't hit his tonight and that is the nature of the beast.
The Jazz I think are now 8-2 in their last 10. One of those losses was to the Warriors. Their injuries have hardly been keeping them from beating teams left and right.

For all the people in the "keep Cousins" camp, are you really enjoying this team? Have you ever since Cuz was drafted other than the 11 games with Malone to start the 14'-15' season? If you answer yes, I just really don't understand. I find it hard to come up with a handful of games over the last 5-8 years that I felt excited to be a fan and confidant in our future. In my humble opinion there are way too many factors weighing against us to build around Cuz. Do we honestly think that we'll be able to after 6 years not being able and the fact that free agents have never wanted to come here? Lower to mid tier don't count because we've tried that over and over. Big time free agents especially don't want to come here right now with such a mess either. Do players (besides Wall and Bledsoe) want to play with him? I can't answer that but it doesn't seem like it. Its too late to draft players around him and frankly, we haven't drafted the right players to put around him to this point anyway. I think it would be the biggest mistake of mistakes if we hold on to Cousins past the all star game. This franchise needs to hit the reset button and we all need to hope that Vlade can extract the most out of whatever trade(s) he makes.

BTW, this isn't me saying I don't like Demarcus. Its me throwing my hands up saying, let's stop pretending this can turn around with the same efforts of "rebuilding" around him.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
It's the same thing every year. Every loss is the end of the season, every win is the start of this team turning a corner. It's kindof funny in a way. But then you look at the overall results and it's pretty clear where we stand. The only teams we're beating with any regularity are the absolute dregs of the league (and Toronto for some reason). The losses are closer than last year but that just means our absolute ceiling is .500 ball if everything breaks right, if everyone plays well. That's simply not good enough.
Too many "if" scenarios here...if that's all you hang your hat on, then it might as well just be another purgatory of a season.

Bricklayer

It's the same thing every year. Every loss is the end of the season, every win is the start of this team turning a corner. It's kindof funny in a way. But then you look at the overall results and it's pretty clear where we stand. The only teams we're beating with any regularity are the absolute dregs of the league (and Toronto for some reason). The losses are closer than last year but that just means our absolute ceiling is .500 ball if everything breaks right, if everyone plays well. That's simply not good enough.
Actually it is good enough. The scheduling is just unfortunate because it requires cahones to hang in there taking your lumps for 3 months before finally getting some soft patches to make some runs.

Actually it is good enough. The scheduling is just unfortunate because it requires cahones to hang in there taking your lumps for 3 months before finally getting some soft patches to make some runs.
If you have to wait 3 months to pass before you make a run, you were never good enough in the first place.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
one last note I want to make; Cousins has been back to his old antics in the last two games with the pouting and on court antics. I was hoping we were past all that & that he has overcome this type of adversity. Before anyone else takes this post the wrong way, it's not a knock on Boogie, just a natural observation.

I want him or Fultz, but realistically, the team isn't going to get a top 5 pick...it's just not in the cards.
The Kings are in lottery hell. Can't tank because 76ers own the Kings' soul for the next 2 years, so were stuck with trying to be mediocre (which we can't even do)so those picks don't end up costing the Kings.

one last note I want to make; Cousins has been back to his old antics in the last two games with the pouting and on court antics. I was hoping we were past all that & that he has overcome this type of adversity. Before anyone else takes this post the wrong way, it's not a knock on Boogie, just a natural observation.
If he is the most talented center in the league how come he can never get an inside shot? What is the point of having a big man?

Bricklayer

For all the people in the "keep Cousins" camp, are you really enjoying this team? Have you ever since Cuz was drafted other than the 11 games with Malone to start the 14'-15' season? If you answer yes, I just really don't understand. I find it hard to come up with a handful of games over the last 5-8 years that I felt excited to be a fan and confidant in our future. In my humble opinion there are way too many factors weighing against us to build around Cuz. Do we honestly think that we'll be able to after 6 years not being able and the fact that free agents have never wanted to come here? Lower to mid tier don't count because we've tried that over and over. Big time free agents especially don't want to come here right now with such a mess either. Do players (besides Wall and Bledsoe) want to play with him? I can't answer that but it doesn't seem like it. Its too late to draft players around him and frankly, we haven't drafted the right players to put around him to this point anyway. I think it would be the biggest mistake of mistakes if we hold on to Cousins past the all star game. This franchise needs to hit the reset button and we all need to hope that Vlade can extract the most out of whatever trade(s) he makes.

BTW, this isn't me saying I don't like Demarcus. Its me throwing my hands up saying, let's stop pretending this can turn around with the same efforts of "rebuilding" around him.
This team here is a point in a process.

The first point in the process is teach guys to compete. Every night. Fight to the end. Until tonight we were very much doing that. Even tonight we were again hanging tough through three. We just broke in the 4th, which I hate. But we hardly laid down from the beginning.

Its a decently constructed team to compete with. Lots of experienced vets. But its not the one you will eventually win with. Its just the one that you scrap with to establish a culture.

Trade restrictions start getting lifted on players here in 5 days. Be interesting to see if there is some movement. But its not going to involve #15.

gunks

Hall of Famer
People acting like we'd actually make intelligent use of a high pick, should we get one for Cuz....

.... pfffft.

He's our only chance at relevancy anytime soon and he isn't part of the problem.

Our terrible drafting is what's sunk this franchise. Vlade needs to call GP for some help (especially if the rumors of Maloof meddling are to be believed, and Geoff could have gotten us Lilliard and the Greek Freak if left alone).

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
If he is the most talented center in the league how come he can never get an inside shot? What is the point of having a big man?
Cousins has become perimeter oriented, I'd love to see a shooting chart of where the majority of his shots come from. His inside shot is taking his defender off the dribble, as far as post moves, he doesn't really have one.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Too many. At full strength they are a better built Kings team but we should have gotten this one given their injuries. It is what it is. Cousins didn't hit his tonight and that is the nature of the beast.
You seem to be arguing that injuries are a more important factor than fatigue. I don't know that I agree with that. The Jazz are injury depleted, but the guys they did have were fully rested, and we were playing the second night of a back-to-back, in arguably the second-worst place to play on the second night of a B2B in US sports (second-highest elevation of any city with a "major" professional sports team in the United States).

Bricklayer

hy·per·bo·le
hīˈpərbəlē/Submit
noun
exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
synonyms: exaggeration, overstatement, magnification, embroidery, embellishment, excess, overkill, rhetoric; More

Paragraphs are your friend. My brain hurt reading that.

You seem to be arguing that injuries are a more important factor than fatigue. I don't know that I agree with that. The Jazz are injury depleted, but the guys they did have were fully rested, and we were playing the second night of a back-to-back, in arguably the second-worst place to play on the second night of a B2B in US sports (second-highest elevation of any city with a "major" professional sports team in the United States).
I feel like people are just trolling here now.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Do you know how many times in the last 10 years a team has made it to the playoffs in the Western Conference with a .500 record? Once.
Do you know how many times in the last 18 years a team has made it to the playoffs in the Western Conference with a .500 record? Twice.

And we're now 7 games under .500 so we have to be 7 games over .500 from here out just to get there. You say the schedule is to blame, that we just have to hang in there until February and then we'll start piling on wins. So you're asking me to believe that this team -- currently 8-15 -- is going to go on some crazy run of winning 2/3 of their games in February, March and April despite the fact that they haven't shown even an inkling of that level of competence in over 10 years? Yeah, okay. I actually do believe those kinds of runs are possible, I've seen it happen before. Last year's team could have done it if they just sucked it up and fired George Karl in December. But not with these players. Not with Rudy Gay counting the days until he's out of here. Not with Afflalo, Barnes, and Lawson playing big minutes.