Is Demarcus at the end of his rope in Sacramento?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
LOL. Demarcus is not hurting this team. Put Demarcus on teams of Westbrook (say even just move Oladipo and Kanter here) or Wall (say just have Beal and Porter here) and say that again.
If you don't get my post right, I saying that they are treating Demarcus worse than they are treating other emotional players. There are a lot more animated player on the court than Demarcus. But they don't make the same technical foul calls on them.
Have you seen Rondo's reaction on that tech of Gibson and compare to what Demarcus did?

I'll call Demarcus out if he deserve those tech. But come on. We all know they have annointed Cousin as the problem child star. They get all the long leash of calling a tech on him, especially when your team's own commentators (looking at you Grant Naprick) is taking shot at your star players while sitting beside those officiating the game.
If you feel DeMarcus is getting unfair treatment from the refs, it is all well deserved. He made his bed and now he can lie in it. One stretch of 20 games or so won't change the perception of his on court antics until he extends it for a duration of a full season or two. That said, the refs shouldn't be one sided in regards to specific players but that's what it appears to be and it makes the sport unbearable to watch at times. All we can really do at this point is hope that he just continues to put up and shut up and stroll along because these things won't change overnight.

How many people sit near the sidelines? What on earth makes you think the referees pay any attention to Napear?
Napear is the voice of Kings to the viewing fans. If your own team commentator keeps serving Demarcus like a rotten potato, any play reviews like that first tech won't have to be carefully taken against Demarcus. Here's how each teams commentators are commenting on that first tech.

You be the judge on this.

Napear is the voice of Kings to the viewing fans. If your own team commentator keeps serving Demarcus like a rotten potato, any play reviews like that first tech won't have to be carefully taken against Demarcus. Here's how each teams commentators are commenting on that first tech.

You be the judge on this.
What are you talking about? I listened to the entire sequence with Napear. What exactly did he say that has you all upset? He didn't say anything negative whatsoever about Cousins other than "You can't push an assistant coach." Do you think he was out of line for saying that?

I think you are really reaching here. If you want to place blame, then place it on Cousins for getting involved with that in the first place. Gibson was getting a T, so what the hell was Cuz doing running in there anyway? Stupid.

If you feel DeMarcus is getting unfair treatment from the refs, it is all well deserved. He made his bed and now he can lie in it. One stretch of 20 games or so won't change the perception of his on court antics until he extends it for a duration of a full season or two. That said, the refs shouldn't be one sided in regards to specific players but that's what it appears to be and it makes the sport unbearable to watch at times. All we can really do at this point is hope that he just continues to put up and shut up and stroll along because these things won't change overnight.
So the rules of the NBA boil down to who is naughty and nice???? Refs can play favorites if a player will just remain stoic and accept their calls?????

The bridges burnt only light the way forward if you are not in denial about what you see. How many bridges do you repeatedly burn burn before you find a better way.
Just the next one and the next one and the one after that...

There's nothing to see here, really there isn't. If the zebras are going to bait boogie by playing him like they do then it is what it is. It's unfortunate he isn't mother Teresa and could keep his emotions in check. I really wish he was and could but I'm not going to lose sleep over the fact he isn't.

DeMarcus Cousins could break Rasheeds record for techs and i'd still think you're crazy for trading him. I don't care if his antics cost him 5 suspensions a year! HE IS GOING TO GO DOWN AS ONE OF THE BEST PLAYERS IN NBA HISTORY! I could see if he never gets along with the coaches or players but everyone is going nuts over his outburst on the court. He's never going to control that passion and I don't think ball players of his dominance should ever have to.

And to think some of you would rather trade him for some draft picks and young players.

So the rules of the NBA boil down to who is naughty and nice???? Refs can play favorites if a player will just remain stoic and accept their calls?????
Hey I get where you are coming from. It's really not fair how star players get special treatment from the refs, but the refs like players are humans too and have emotions. I have observed many times where refs will call ticky tack fouls on Cousins when no way in hell the same interpretation would have been applied to a player like Westbrook. I get it. I really do. But why does it have to be Cousins barking at the officials? Why can'y his coach or his teammates stick up for him?

We expect these men to fight the battle of their lives every night and we place the hopes of an entire city on their shoulders. Fight like DOGS we say. Kill kill kill!! All for our entertainment.

Then we turn around and rip them a new one when they occasionally let out physical signs of anger or frustration.

It's a wonder there aren't MORE guys that go total apecrap in this situation. Demarcus is a saint.

Of course he can be better. But anyone constantly complaining or putting him down probably has their nuts in a fine china bowl on their wife's bedstand and there's some weird psychological jealousy going on.

We expect these men to fight the battle of their lives every night and we place the hopes of an entire city on their shoulders. Fight like DOGS we say. Kill kill kill!! All for our entertainment.

Then we turn around and rip them a new one when they occasionally let out physical signs of anger or frustration.

It's a wonder there aren't MORE guys that go total apepoopoo in this situation. Demarcus is a saint.

Of course he can be better. But anyone constantly complaining or putting him down probably has their nuts in a fine china bowl on their wife's bedstand and there's some weird psychological jealousy going on.
What do you mean occasionally? He's the quickest player ever to trigger the 16th technical=suspension rule.

Maintaining your composure has little to do with having your nuts in a fine china bowl on the bedstand. I guess it's too much to ask of Cousins to be judicial on the court isn't it. 11 of his 16 technicals have been double technicals. He plays right into the opposition's strategy when he scuffles with the other team's scrub players. If you're going to get a double T, engage players who aren't scrubby.

I don't know if you guys putting spot light on Demarcus' technical fouls are new to basketball but...

The best basketball to me was the late 80's to early 2K. Those are the times of great passion for the game.

One great player of that time is Charles Barkley.
Check out his career stats here: http://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/37/charles-barkley
Then maybe after that you'll realize how soft of a fan base you are.

Charles Barkely have several seasons of where he amassed 25, 29, even 32 technical fouls.
Yes Rasheed Wallace is the iconic guy of technical fouls. But I would say Demarcus is more of Charles Barkley here in terms of not wanting to be a slave to the zebras.

If people in those years are too sensitive over technical fouls rather than the player skills? They wouldn't be seeing Barkley win an MVP in a season where Michael Jordan was around.

Last edited by a moderator:
First- hey thanks for listening!

Second, this is a misrepresentation of what I said and completely out of context, but I did say what you quoted me on.

I am on record as being one of the biggest public DMC cheerleaders there is. I am on record that I am glad they are extending him.

I have never "protected" him, and I think I've challenged him in person and gotten some of his most extensive answers regarding his mentality and the referees.

What I said on air today was that he needs to look in the mirror. If he can't commit, whether it's seeing a sports psychologist, or some other acceptable manner to help him express his frustrations in a less detrimental manner, if he CANT commit to that, then yes- time to split.

I hope that makes sense, because the title and first couple of paragraphs in this thread are misleading IMO
First - hey thanks for responding!

Second, of course it's out of context - how could a thread here be in context? :confused:
I would have loved to have used your exact words, but I didn't have a transcript, so I had to massively paraphrase from memory.
But I don't believe I misrepresented your position, and so now I've made a transcript from the Hour 2 of the show that was uploaded here http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/audio/the-drive-with-dave-kayte-and-nate/
carmichaeldave said:
This is my core problem with the team - that they won't shut up.
It's embarrassing.
Like it really is embarrassing, and it's embarrassing to the city.
And they need to understand that - PLEASE - you look like FOOLS. You look like FOOLS.
---------
At some point, these guys as men with egos, have to look at this on tape - guys that take pride in themeselves, at who they are - you have to look at that on tpe, and say; I look like a FOOL. I might as well, honestly, I would be better off if I dropped my pants and pulled my shirt up and I showed my buttcheeks to 18,000 fans - that's actually less embarrassing than constantly barking, and whining, and bitching, and crying, about things you can't change.
----------
It's an embarrassment - it's not bad basketball. It's not unfortunate. It's not culture. It's embarrassing, and gross, and weird, and immature, and baby-like.
And I hope the players take that attitude and go, "Dude, we look like a bunch of babies. And we gotta figure it out."
That certainly sounded to me like, "Carmichael Dave is officially over Demarcus' inability to control his anger and frustration," but it's obviously just a conclusion a listener could come to from your words.

I would be happy to transcribe your exact words from Hour 3 that you say I am misleading, but for some reason it is oddly missing from the webpage, unlike almost any other hour of the show this entire year.

BTW - I did see that great interview you did at the bowling alley with Cuz, and complimented it here.
Your ballsy questioning him to his face on this subject is vital for him to ever making a turnaround in this area.
More media members (and players and coaches) should be bringing it up (if they can find a way to do so without him taking it confrontationally (good luck)) because he is a victim of his skewed perceptions in this area.

It happens to every team, it even happens in the playoffs. I'll get ridiculed for saying this here but to me always blaming the refs is just an excuse. I would like to see a culture change of not crying after every whistle and not blaming refs.
If you or anyone else think the ref blaming is unique to this board think again. And it speaks to a systemic problem with officials nudging games one way or the other.

I don't want our team to get away with squat. I want every team officiated exactly the same. That's it. I am not alone on this by a long shot. I know if you frequent any other basketball related message board of any kind you know for a fact it is an issue. Why do we accept it? The fans clamoring for other fans to get over the referees missing so many blatant calls. Holding whistles to see if a shot falls or not, etc., are part of the problem.

Instead of thinking fans should get over bad whistles. Why not man up a take a stand for some integrity in the sport your a fan of.

I am not calling you out specifically CelticsFan. I just assume as a fan of more than one team, surely you see how widespread this opinion is.

What do you mean occasionally? He's the quickest player ever to trigger the 16th technical=suspension rule.

Maintaining your composure has little to do with having your nuts in a fine china bowl on the bedstand. I guess it's too much to ask of Cousins to be judicial on the court isn't it. 11 of his 16 technicals have been double technicals. He plays right into the opposition's strategy when he scuffles with the other team's scrub players. If you're going to get a double T, engage players who aren't scrubby.
I love Cousins antics and I love that he gets techs all the time. Am I a bad person?

I also wish they would let players fight like in hockey. You know they want to. I can also think of a few refs that would become better people with a square one right in the jaw.

I would draw the line at players charging into the stands though. So I do have limits. Lol.

K

KingMilz

I don't know if you guys putting spot light on Demarcus' technical fouls are new to basketball but...
The best basketball to me was the late 80's to early 2K. Those are the times of great passion for the game.

One great player of that time is Charles Barkley.
Check out his career stats here: http://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/37/charles-barkley
Then maybe after that you'll realize how soft of a fan base you are.

Charles Barkely have several seasons of where he amassed 25, 29, even 32 technical fouls.
Yes Rasheed Wallace is the iconic guy of technical fouls. But I would say Demarcus is more of Charles Barkley here in terms of not wanting to be a slave to the zebras.

If people in those years are too sensitive over technical fouls rather than the player skills? They wouldn't be seeing Barkley win an MVP in a season where Michael Jordan was around.
There is completely different incentives now no one would care as much about 32 techs if he never got suspended (yes it's annoying and it can completely change the flow of the game e.g Matt Barnes numerous times this year) but when incentives change and he's now missing games that's a completely different beast it has nothing to do with being sensitive but it's COMMON SENSE. You are either helping the team and playing or your not the comparison between him /Sheed and Barkley (both on winning teams) is completely different because of different rules.

The fan base is not soft if we were soft all of us would be happy being a treadmill sub 500. team and trying to build around Cousins/Gay over and over some of us actually want something better. We are amazingly in the playoff hunt and instead of being on his best behavior because we literally need every hand on deck in particular his super skillful hands he gets himself thrown out and is missing a game which could be the game which decides if we make the playoffs or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many people sit near the sidelines? What on earth makes you think the referees pay any attention to Napear?
I don't think the ref's pay any attention to Napear when on the court. But other media members do and basketball people and fans do. Napear is the voice of the Kings organisation on TV. When fans of other teams check in on the Kings broadcast it's Napear molding their opinion about DMC. And it's the same with media people watching Kings games or listening to Grants radio show, to get an idea, what is going on in SAC. So Grant Napear is one of key figures in the ongoing narrative how DMC is a team cancer (his teammates actually think different), can't control his emotions and how he hurts the team with his behaviour. I'm not saying that DMC is not to blame. I'm just stating the obvious - that people usually not following the Kings will make their mind about DMC through what Grant Napear tells them.
While Cousins actions hurt his cause directly, Napear is also hurting DMC and the Kings cause, by constantly exaggerating the bad side of DMC.

There is completely different incentives now no one would care as much about 32 techs if he never got suspended (yes it's annoying and it can completely change the flow of the game e.g Matt Barnes numerous times this year) but when incentives change and he's now missing games that's a completely different beast it has nothing to do with sensitive but it's COMMON SENSE. You are either helping the team and playing or your not the comparison between him /Sheed and Barkley (both on winning teams) is completely different because of different rules.
The quality of technical fouls on those days often get players suspended for at least a game. Suspensions related to technical fouls are not new to the NBA. Barkley punched Shaq and more. Some of those technical fouls ended up in suspensions. But has Demarcus even done that kind of suspension? Nada! So you don't say it's all about common sense.

This is just accumulated technicals in a league full of cry babies. So guys are over reacting and being hard on the man.

I think all of his outburst would be easier to swallow if the team was showing progress record wise year after year. When you combine losing with some of the really pointless techs that Cousins picks up it really gets old. The worst ones are when he is baited by scrubs which has happend a lot and we all know when its coming. The other bad ones are when he is clearly wrong but made the wrong play and is going after the ref because he didn't get bailed out.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
It never really favors one specific player for a long time. It's different circumstances and different situations. There are games where Cousins gets the calls and is at the free throw line 12-15 times. Then there are games where he is specifically seeking calls and doesn't try to score but rather look for contact and it backfires on him. Perfect example is on those three point shots he attempts, he tries to flop for a call rather than trying to just make the shot and the refs see it as a flop and don't give him the benefit of the call.

I don't think the ref's pay any attention to Napear when on the court. But other media members do and basketball people and fans do. Napear is the voice of the Kings organisation on TV. When fans of other teams check in on the Kings broadcast it's Napear molding their opinion about DMC. And it's the same with media people watching Kings games or listening to Grants radio show, to get an idea, what is going on in SAC. So Grant Napear is one of key figures in the ongoing narrative how DMC is a team cancer (his teammates actually think different), can't control his emotions and how he hurts the team with his behaviour. I'm not saying that DMC is not to blame. I'm just stating the obvious - that people usually not following the Kings will make their mind about DMC through what Grant Napear tells them.
While Cousins actions hurt his cause directly, Napear is also hurting DMC and the Kings cause, by constantly exaggerating the bad side of DMC.
KHTK Grant and COMCAST Grant are two different people. Television Grant is much more fair and impartial contrary to what many on here believe. Simply saying Cousins needs to control his emotions better is not an affront because it's the truth.

I do think Cousins is targeted and his behavior affects calls negatively. At the end of the day the refs are human they probably dont like being screamed at by the same guy game after game in front of millions, not to mention the sarcastic claps after a good call or TERRIBLE body language cuz displays.

The refs will make mistakes the mentality has to be to play thru them and treat ref help as an act of god.....something you cant count on. By playing thru them and maybe on the side having a civil conversation or two when play is stopped and your not showing them up and being disrespectful Cuz will actually help his cause. But maybe after 7 years hes too dumb to realize how easy of a fix it is?

KHTK Grant and COMCAST Grant are two different people. Television Grant is much more fair and impartial contrary to what many on here believe. Simply saying Cousins needs to control his emotions better is not an affront because it's the truth.
No KHTK Grant and Comcast Grant are the same person and this is part of the problem. Fans not familiar with the Kings don't differentiate between KHTK Grant and COMCAST Grant. To them he is part of the Kings broadcasting crew and they will take the fact, that Grant actually is extremely critical of DMC, as a proof, that DMC is a lot worse, than actually reported in the national media. Because when a member of the Kings organisation says there is trouble, it must be true you know.
This is why I simply don't understand, that Grant Napear still has his job.
Now what Grant says during games is true to a certain extent. But it's not about him blatantly lying. It's about how he handles certain thematics. Grant tells us with great regularity, in fact he tells us at least once every game, how NBA officials are doing a great job and are mostly right. First off there is no objective truth in this statement, because last time I checked the only actual statistics about NBA refereeing are published by the NBA. So what Grant tells us is his personal opinion. Fine - nothing wrong as part of a broadcasting crew. But why does he constantly repeat it? Why is the color commentator of a franchise featuring the NBA's most troubled star constantly talking about the oh so competent NBA ref's, when most of the time those kind of comments are directly related to a missed call or a questionable call going against the Kings?

He handles DMC techs excactly the same. Of course it's true, that DMC shouldn't get that many technicals. But did you ever notice, how every time DMC gets a tech, Grant talks about it constantly using the same pointless phrases and ultimately leading to his usual "the refs are mostly doing a great job....!"

Now this season the Kings have been in a lot of close games. They lost some games due to the refs making wrong calls or missing calls. While this might happen to a lot of teams, it happened to the Kings twice against the Bulls. And twice it's a call directly involving Wade. You know what Tommy Heinsohn would do? He would go on a seemingly endless tirade about NBA refs and superstar calls. Grant and Jerry? Oh well...lets move on to DMC can't get thrown out of the game like that.

Fact is the refs were wrong. They lost the Kings two games against the Bulls (or put them in a tough spot or however you want to call it). Fact is DMC has every right to be upset about the BS the refs were calling in both games. Fact is a color commentator, who actually would do his job to call BS, when he sees it, would help a ton.

Cuz got away with 2 blatant travels (which he does all the time by the way)
I saw one of them. And it was clearly a travel. No dispute there.

But wake up, this happens A LOT. Did you see Russell Westbrook's most recent one? He took like 4 steps before the ball hit the floor. James Harden does it all the time too.

Point is, this is basically a trivial point because it's a widespread epidemic across the league. If they start calling what Boogie did, they'd have to do it across the board and cause a big commotion in the process.

And don't get me started on carrying! The fact is, the NBA made this bed themselves by refusing to hold star players accountable to basic travel and carrying rules for most of the past 30 years.

Last edited:
But, of course, nobody around here will look at that! It's easy to blame the refs for everything. True winners will take accountability for the failures and find ways to fix them.
Ok, so let me see if I understand you correctly. It's ok to harp on Cousins for his behaviour and to expect more from him. But it's not ok to do the same to the officials and expect more from them??

The problem most have with the officials and why they are "blamed" so often is because they aren't at all consistent with how they officiate games and often apply the rules selectively and unilaterally.

You pointed out above that they didn't call Cousins for a blatant travel. If they had, though, it would have been a "selective" call because they didn't whistle other players for the same thing earlier in the game. So how could they call it there? That's the precisely the point. Whatever they are allowing to go uncalled throughout the game should remain that way. Conversely, whatever fouls/violations they are choosing to call throughout the game should also remain that way until the final horn. And name players should be held accountable the same as anyone else. But when they don't do that, it opens them and the league up to this kind of scrutiny -- which is all brought upon themselves.

People going after Napear for being critical of Cousins is the precise reason he is what he is. You are just coddling him and reinforcing what the franchise has failed at. This is someone that needed(s) a slap in the face and to be told to grow up and act like a professional. His behavior has been tolerated his whole life, thus he has never changed. Do you think Popovich or Riley would allow the things Cousins does? Hell no, grow up or get out would be their stance. Thats precisely what has been missing here and as long as he is in Sac he won't change. The dude is a hell of a talent, but he is his own worst enemy and its a shame to see a man so talented continously get in his own way. Its a never ending circle of "Holy crap this dude is a beast" one night "Shut the hell up and play, run back!" the next night.

Cuz is behaving the same way we as fans have been behaving for the last 7 years. We are ALL fed up and we all have blown up. Maloofs, Vivek, PDA, Karl, bad luck, terrible rep, etc etc. No other organization has had to put up with what we have had to put up with. We get to sit back and scream and pout about how royally screwed we have been over and over, but it's not OK for the guy who has shouldered the entirety of it all to do so in the heat of the moment. There is not a SINGLE person on earth who has been weighed down by the King's struggle as much as Cousins has. And he wants to keep fighting for us. I will fight for him until it's no longer possible.

No KHTK Grant and Comcast Grant are the same person and this is part of the problem. Fans not familiar with the Kings don't differentiate between KHTK Grant and COMCAST Grant. To them he is part of the Kings broadcasting crew and they will take the fact, that Grant actually is extremely critical of DMC, as a proof, that DMC is a lot worse, than actually reported in the national media. Because when a member of the Kings organisation says there is trouble, it must be true you know.
This is why I simply don't understand, that Grant Napear still has his job.
Now what Grant says during games is true to a certain extent. But it's not about him blatantly lying. It's about how he handles certain thematics. Grant tells us with great regularity, in fact he tells us at least once every game, how NBA officials are doing a great job and are mostly right. First off there is no objective truth in this statement, because last time I checked the only actual statistics about NBA refereeing are published by the NBA. So what Grant tells us is his personal opinion. Fine - nothing wrong as part of a broadcasting crew. But why does he constantly repeat it? Why is the color commentator of a franchise featuring the NBA's most troubled star constantly talking about the oh so competent NBA ref's, when most of the time those kind of comments are directly related to a missed call or a questionable call going against the Kings?

He handles DMC techs excactly the same. Of course it's true, that DMC shouldn't get that many technicals. But did you ever notice, how every time DMC gets a tech, Grant talks about it constantly using the same pointless phrases and ultimately leading to his usual "the refs are mostly doing a great job....!"

Now this season the Kings have been in a lot of close games. They lost some games due to the refs making wrong calls or missing calls. While this might happen to a lot of teams, it happened to the Kings twice against the Bulls. And twice it's a call directly involving Wade. You know what Tommy Heinsohn would do? He would go on a seemingly endless tirade about NBA refs and superstar calls. Grant and Jerry? Oh well...lets move on to DMC can't get thrown out of the game like that.

Fact is the refs were wrong. They lost the Kings two games against the Bulls (or put them in a tough spot or however you want to call it). Fact is DMC has every right to be upset about the BS the refs were calling in both games. Fact is a color commentator, who actually would do his job to call BS, when he sees it, would help a ton.
Napear did call out the BS by the refs. Immediately after seeing the replay on Wade's breakaway missed dunk/phantom foul, Grant clearly says, "That's not a foul! That's not a foul...I don't blame him for being upset at all" after Cousins had the ball stolen. There is some selective memory going in Kings land right now. Grant absolutely did not brush off the phantom foul.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Cuz is behaving the same way we as fans have been behaving for the last 7 years. We are ALL fed up and we all have blown up. Maloofs, Vivek, PDA, Karl, bad luck, terrible rep, etc etc. No other organization has had to put up with what we have had to put up with. We get to sit back and scream and pout about how royally screwed we have been over and over, but it's not OK for the guy who has shouldered the entirety of it all to do so in the heat of the moment. There is not a SINGLE person on earth who has been weighed down by the King's struggle as much as Cousins has. And he wants to keep fighting for us. I will fight for him until it's no longer possible.
Thank you. You have eloquently expressed what I know a lot of us are feeling.

http://streamable.com/shvv

So where exactly does Napear ignore Wade's foul? He says Cousins was 100% correct in his frustration, but he also was correct in that Cousins has to compose himself because he just cost his team the next game. Cousins needs some tough love, but people continually handle him with kid gloves. The Kings are basically the Nets without Cousins, but some people are okay with him costing the team a game in the standings because passion, grit, hard-nosed, throwback player...

Status
Not open for further replies.