Is Demarcus at the end of his rope in Sacramento?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Cousins isn't being protected by the refs, shouldn't the coach or the players do it? I guess Barnes tried tries to, but he always does it at the worst time.

Well your gonna hear about it ALOT MORE because cousins can't help himself and if he's gonna be getting suspended after every other tech from here on out........ WOW! What's the over/under on how many times cousins is suspended?
I can imagine it now. Cousins getting suspended 5+ games to accumulation of technical fouls and fans will paint it as being more passionate than everyone else.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
When the organization has a guy's back, and teammates have a guy's back, and the coaches have a guy's back...and fans and media are the ones doing the complaining...I think the fans and media are the ones out of step with reality, not vice versa.

Cuz's outbursts are neither admirable nor productive. He basically can't control his emotions, which is a sign of weakness in my book as I aim for at least outward emotional stability at all times no matter what chaos is erupting around me. Never let them see you sweat or panic. Ever. But Cuz's outbursts are what they are, and what they are are a very minor part of a rather spectacular overall package. And what you never have to worry about is him not caring or not fighting. THOSE are the traits that make you want to punch somebody. And because he does care there are conversations to be had with him by teammates or coaches about not letting the team down or the playoff chase down by the organization down by letting himself be taken out of games.

But in the meantime this is what happened last night for all those fans every bit as prone as Boogie to lose their heads and freak out: in the final seconds of the game, Boogie stepped on somebody's foot and rolled his ankle, and is probably going to miss the Boston game because of it. That's all that happened. One minor day-to-day injury that is going to cost him a game, if that. Sucks, but happens, and the season will go on with barely a blip.

P.S. this title is misleading to say the least, especially if its based on some CD comments on radio? Come on Kings fans, you know that's not how it works, and getting so worked up yourselves that you start losing the ability to think rationally isn't much better than what Cuz suffers from.

But in the meantime this is what happened last night for all those fans every bit as prone as Boogie to lose their heads and freak out: in the final seconds of the game, Boogie stepped on somebody's foot and rolled his ankle, and is probably going to miss the Boston game because of it. That's all that happened. One minor day-to-day injury that is going to cost him a game, if that. Sucks, but happens, and the season will go on with barely a blip.
Talk about "Alternative Facts"!

I really don't want to make this thread, but after hearing the KHTK morning show this morning (Feb 7), Demarcus has lost his last local defender/protector/advocate in the media.

Carmichael Dave is officially over Demarcus' inability to control his anger and frustration.

He has publicly stated that if Demarcus can't learn to control himself, then the Kings should trade him for mutual benefit. (He even thinks Demarcus should go to mental counseling (quietly, behind the scenes))
It appears that the Kings can not surround Demarcus with enough talent to win, and Demarcus simply isn't good enough to beat the entire NBA and the refs by himself.

It's equally clear that he can not get ahold of his frustration and has doubled/tripled/quadrupled down on the idea that "this is just me - I'm passionate and it makes me who and what I am."

His petulance on the court and sense of entitlement has reached new heights this year, as evidenced by his 16 technicals after only playing 63% of the season (despite him being the beneficiary of more questionable calls than any season thus far). At this pace, he would get almost 10 more techs if he played in them all, but that would mean he'd be sitting out 5 more games.

And let's not be fooling ourselves - if the Kings ever made the playoffs, I doubt if anyone believes Demarcus would be able to control himself in the extra-added pressure-filled environment of the playoffs.

This kind of repeated failure and embarrassment is not conducive to a satisfied fanbase or a satisfied star player.
How much of the fanbase still supports Demarcus and his antics? 10%?

With the season basically in flames, and little future prospects (draft or roster or free agents), is 7 years long enough in this experiment to pull the plug?
What would it take for Demarcus to be able to control himself?
What would it take for the fanbase to accept his outbursts and flawed play?

I just don't see how this goes away, and it definitely won't go away after $200+ million reasons for him to not change..
I can't imagine Dave wanting to trade Cuz... He wants to if Cuz can't learn to control his behavior? That means he doesn't want to trade him yet, maybe he's willing to wait a while.

He has been coddled his whole basketball career. From the phony AAU preying on kids culture, living in a bubble at Kentucky and finally in Sac where the organization has allowed him to do and act however he wants with no repercussions. This is who he is and who he will be as long as he is in Sac. A supremely talented but emotionally volatile player who whose skillset is an odd fit to build around in the current NBA playstlyle. He is such a defensive liability in the pick and roll guard heavy NBA offenses.

The bridges burnt only light the way forward if you are not in denial about what you see. How many bridges do you repeatedly burn burn before you find a better way.

the bridges burnt only light the way forward.

It aint like demarcus needs Dave. Hell he's doing just fine and im with Boogie

Look I find it hard to believe that Carmichael Dave has turned his back on DMC. He has always been a DMC supporter and real with him. CD is only being honest about DMC's inability to control his emotions at times and DMC himself will own up to it.

One thing that really pisses me off about this fan base is the goodie two shoes bullcrap that a lot come up with. If you want to watch a choir, go to church. I want to watch basketball and I want to see passion from my players. DMC has that. Sure I would like to see him keep his cool more often but the thing that pisses me off about this fan base is their idealistic view on the world. They would be happy to have a losing team as long as they are bunch of good, model citizens on and off the court. I call this bullcrap. The very bunch that come out in spades after DeMarcus does something negative are no where to be seen when he does good things. They call hims weak and immature yet their very action are those of week, immature individuals who are not all that content with their lot in life so they like to point out the flaws in others to make themselves feel better. I am sorry but it is pee weak.

Look around the league. Not many superstar talent are perfect. Isn't Lebron pouting about his ownership and front office management? Draymond Green has done infinitely more questionable things than Cousins yet he is passionate but Cousins is immature. Team mates are not exactly in love with Westbrook either. Chris Paul has had run ins with coaches and got them fired. Melo has a rap sheet longer than just about anyone. Butler and Wade are not exactly on the same page with their coach either. Look at the league leaders in technical fouls over the last decade and they are all all-star level players. There is a correlation there. They care. They are competitive and sometimes that boils over.

Would I like it more of Cousins did not get as many technicals? Absolutely! However, I am not going to be small minded and point out his flaws as cancerous or as something that is the difference between this team being good vs bad. It is bullcrap argument! If people like Grant and his fans want to have flawless players on the roster then they should find another thing of interest because there is NO such a thing. People forget that Grant called out Webber and Bobby Jackson over the years as well. If our front office was as weak minded and as fickle as some of the fan base I would quit following the Kings and quite frankly I would have better things to do with my time and my money. Thankfully these guys get it how hard it is for a small market team to get a player of Cousins' caliber and it is even more rare that they want to stick around in the lowly Sacramento. Once you get that level of player, you do everything in your power to keep them and give them the best chance possible to succeed. We have failed at that front over and over again yet DMC keeps fronting up and keeps re-iterating that he WANTS to stay here. You think he is a bit of a primadonna?! Just as yourself what would other stars of the league do if they were in his position. I can guarantee you that they would have bolted a LONG LONG time ago.

It's time for people to realize that the grass is NOT greener on the other side. Be grateful for what you have and try your darn hardest to make it work with a player who despite his flaws is still arguably the best player to ever play in Sacramento and who wants to be here and do it the hard way. Maybe its time fans started showing some loyalty. Those in glass houses should not thrown stones.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Look I find it hard to believe that Carmichael Dave has turned his back on DMC. He has always been a DMC supporter and real with him. CD is only being honest about DMC's inability to control his emotions at times and DMC himself will own up to it.

One thing that really pisses me off about this fan base is the goodie two shoes bullpoopoo that a lot come up with. If you want to watch a choir, go to church. I want to watch basketball and I want to see passion from my players. DMC has that. Sure I would like to see him keep his cool more often but the thing that pisses me off about this fan base is their idealistic view on the world. They would be happy to have a losing team as long as they are bunch of good, model citizens on and off the court. I call this bullpoopoo. The very bunch that come out in spades after DeMarcus does something negative are no where to be seen when he does good things. They call hims weak and immature yet their very action are those of week, immature individuals who are not all that content with their lot in life so they like to point out the flaws in others to make themselves feel better. I am sorry but it is pee weak.

Look around the league. Not many superstar talent are perfect. Isn't Lebron pouting about his ownership and front office management? Draymond Green has done infinitely more questionable things than Cousins yet he is passionate but Cousins is immature. Team mates are not exactly in love with Westbrook either. Chris Paul has had run ins with coaches and got them fired. Melo has a rap sheet longer than just about anyone. Butler and Wade are not exactly on the same page with their coach either. Look at the league leaders in technical fouls over the last decade and they are all all-star level players. There is a correlation there. They care. They are competitive and sometimes that boils over.

Would I like it more of Cousins did not get as many technicals? Absolutely! However, I am not going to be small minded and point out his flaws as cancerous or as something that is the difference between this team being good vs bad. It is bullpoopoo argument! If people like Grant and his fans want to have flawless players on the roster then they should find another thing of interest because there is NO such a thing. People forget that Grant called out Webber and Bobby Jackson over the years as well. If our front office was as weak minded and as fickle as some of the fan base I would quit following the Kings and quite frankly I would have better things to do with my time and my money. Thankfully these guys get it how hard it is for a small market team to get a player of Cousins' caliber and it is even more rare that they want to stick around in the lowly Sacramento. Once you get that level of player, you do everything in your power to keep them and give them the best chance possible to succeed. We have failed at that front over and over again yet DMC keeps fronting up and keeps re-iterating that he WANTS to stay here. You think he is a bit of a primadonna?! Just as yourself what would other stars of the league do if they were in his position. I can guarantee you that they would have bolted a LONG LONG time ago.

It's time for people to realize that the grass is NOT greener on the other side. Be grateful for what you have and try your darn hardest to make it work with a player who despite his flaws is still arguably the best player to ever play in Sacramento and who wants to be here and do it the hard way. Maybe its time fans started showing some loyalty. Those in glass houses should not thrown stones.
Not everyone can be the Spurs. Many have tried and time and time again have failed to do so. Acceptance is the number one trait with overcoming our current situation. Once you accept, you can think more logically and less emotionally. Boogie states almost on a monthly basis that he wants to remain here. That doesn't mean that in the 2019 season, if things still haven't figured itself out, Vlade might consider an alternative route. If he is even here still. The unpredictability is out of our hands and all in the eyes of the beholder.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Kings tried getting great teammates like temple and tolliver. Only problem here is kings got Matt Barnes. Barnes is a baller and gives you everything and more on the court. Cousins has taken up with Barnes as his right hand man. Problem here is Barnes is a straight thug and just as bad of a hot head when it comes to the refs.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Kings tried getting great teammates like temple and tolliver. Only problem here is kings got Matt Barnes. Barnes is a baller and gives you everything and more on the court. Cousins has taken up with Barnes as his right hand man. Problem here is Barnes is a straight thug and just as bad of a hot head when it comes to the refs.
Let's remember another teammate of Cousins that was a hot head, Rondo. Bringing in another hot head to the biggest one of all is not a recipe towards helping him turn his approach and attitude around IMO.

When the organization has a guy's back, and teammates have a guy's back, and the coaches have a guy's back...and fans and media are the ones doing the complaining...I think the fans and media are the ones out of step with reality, not vice versa.

Cuz's outbursts are neither admirable nor productive. He basically can't control his emotions, which is a sign of weakness in my book as I aim for at least outward emotional stability at all times no matter what chaos is erupting around me. Never let them see you sweat or panic. Ever. But Cuz's outbursts are what they are, and what they are are a very minor part of a rather spectacular overall package. And what you never have to worry about is him not caring or not fighting. THOSE are the traits that make you want to punch somebody. And because he does care there are conversations to be had with him by teammates or coaches about not letting the team down or the playoff chase down by the organization down by letting himself be taken out of games.

P.S. this title is misleading to say the least, especially if its based on some CD comments on radio? Come on Kings fans, you know that's not how it works, and getting so worked up yourselves that you start losing the ability to think rationally isn't much better than what Cuz suffers from.

What I heard is that Coach Joerger is resting the Big Fella against one of the east coast teams. Boogie has been working real hard and is worn down. The day off is going help out over the long haul.

At this point, I really don't care if the Kings keep or trade Cousins.
I'm much more worried about our draft pick....
edit: I guess I should expand my thoughts. If we keep Cousins, we having a valuable player. If we trade Cousins, we have valuable assets. Unless he pulls something extremely dumb, I'm not at the point where I want to get rid of him. However, I am at the point where I think the Kings need to tank. That 1st round draft pick would automatically be the 2nd most valuable asset behind Cousins.

I really don't want to make this thread, but after hearing the KHTK morning show this morning (Feb 7), Demarcus has lost his last local defender/protector/advocate in the media.

Carmichael Dave is officially over Demarcus' inability to control his anger and frustration.

He has publicly stated that if Demarcus can't learn to control himself, then the Kings should trade him for mutual benefit. (He even thinks Demarcus should go to mental counseling (quietly

First- hey thanks for listening!

Second, this is a misrepresentation of what I said and completely out of context, but I did say what you quoted me on.

I am on record as being one of the biggest public DMC cheerleaders there is. I am on record that I am glad they are extending him.

I have never "protected" him, and I think I've challenged him in person and gotten some of his most extensive answers regarding his mentality and the referees.

If you haven't seen my interview with him a few weeks ago at their bowling tourney, I'd invite you to check it here:

At one point, I ask him if he ever looks at tape of him and the refs, and part of his response was "Demarcus, you look stupid as (blank)"

He gets it. He just can't handle it in the heat of the moment.

What I said on air today was that he needs to look in the mirror. If he can't commit, whether it's seeing a sports psychologist, or some other acceptable manner to help him express his frustrations in a less detrimental manner, if he CANT commit to that, then yes- time to split.

And I say this as much as a DMC fan as I do a Kings fan.

I get that the calls suck sometimes. I get that he's getting screwed sometimes. But this manner of dealing with it isn't working.

I was making the point that when on the Olympic teams, surrounded by leaders and talent, he's well behaved. So it's a catch 22: team can't get to where it wants to be if he keeps melting down, and he can't stop melting down until the team improves enough not to frustrate him nightly.

So my point was, you sign the extension. You take next year (you have to). IF at that point the team and his technicals haven't improved, it's time to move on. He'll be 28- plenty of time to factor into the playoffs elsewhere. Last year and this year's draft picks will hopefully have yielded something, and in the trade you will certainly replace the 2019 pick we are losing.

But that's a long way away.

So yeah, I think if you take my entire statement, I've far from abandoned the man. Not at all. But just as I have ZERO respect for "fans" that only pop up when DMC does something wrong, I also have the same respect (zero) for DMC supporters that can't tell the truth about his shortcomings. They're the same person: agenda fans, not Kings fans.

And I'm a Kings fan BEFORE I'm a DMC fan. But I have an intense loyalty towards players that show our city and team loyalty, and DMC has done that in spades.

I hope that makes sense, because the title and first couple of paragraphs in this thread are misleading IMO

The zebras are the real cry babies in this league these days. You can't yell or touch them without them blowing a whistle on you. Worse if your name is Demarcus Cousins.
Just replace these folks with all lady referee if they don't want to be touched or better get some referees from WWE that doesn't care whether they are smacked down the canvas.

This league is killing the competitive fire in players with such high passion for the game.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
The zebras are the real cry babies in this league these days. You can't yell or touch them without them blowing a whistle on you. Worse if your name is Demarcus Cousins.
Just replace these folks with all lady referee if they don't want to be touched or better get some referees from WWE that doesn't care whether they are smacked down the canvas.

This league is killing the competitive fire in players with such high passion for the game.
two other players that come to mind that it doesn't affect are Westbrook and Wall

dude12

Hall of Famer
I love how Boogie's teammates and coach and FO have his back. Wasn't one of the things with Boogie was that his teammates didnt like him or brought them down?

And the thing with the refs....yes, it would be great if everyone could just ignore it and just play through it except when guys like Temple and Tolliver are also raising points that this is ridiculous. I'll go with these guys opinions.

But just as I have ZERO respect for "fans" that only pop up when DMC does something wrong, I also have the same respect (zero) for DMC supporters that can't tell the truth about his shortcomings. They're the same person: agenda fans, not Kings fans.
This paragraph caught my eye. I concur 100%. I have been pointing out Boogie is 56% TS and 1.3 assist to turnover this season vs. 53% TS and 0.8 assist to turnover on his career That is substantial improvement in passing and scoring efficiency that correlates to higher free throw rate, better three point shooting, better conditioning and ability to shred defenses with dimes. This is a guy you can build around confidently as cornerstone versus an inefficient high volume jacker and careless passer.

In my experience, neither the pro-Cousins (mostly this site) nor anti-Cousins crowd (mostly Sactown Royalty) welcome this discussion or acknowledge this improvement because it may require them to reassess previously held opinions. It is easier to adhere to fixed opinion in the midst of new data than to exert the mental energy, flexibility and intellectual integrity required to alter a previously held opinion. An unwillingness to inability to do this is something that I have no respect for, to see through the same overly biased filter regardless of new data in support or to contrary.

In one camp Boogie was already the GOAT before for making substantial strides as force this season, so let's ignore those strides that have occurred less unilateral defense of his shortcomings previously will be exposed as specious. In the other camp Boogie was already a guy who needed to go based on six years of disappointment so let's not bother to reassess his viability as a franchise player given his ability to single handedly take over games with more regularity (despite less help, as reflected in % of baskets assisted)

That said, I do think the majority of the fans do maintain rooting interest while seeing the team and players through a relatively objective lens. But the majority of fans are not prominent on message boards. It is those at extreme pro and con in particular as relates to Boogie that are most vociferous in defense or repudiation. I like to think of myself as a loud mouth exception, highly critical last year and more praise worthy this year as his stats across the board, including technicals, are near or at career best.

There you have it. It's okay to play with passion and fire as long as you don't hurt your team in the process.
LOL. Demarcus is not hurting this team. Put Demarcus on teams of Westbrook (say even just move Oladipo and Kanter here) or Wall (say just have Beal and Porter here) and say that again.
If you don't get my post right, I saying that they are treating Demarcus worse than they are treating other emotional players. There are a lot more animated player on the court than Demarcus. But they don't make the same technical foul calls on them.
Have you seen Rondo's reaction on that tech of Gibson and compare to what Demarcus did?

I'll call Demarcus out if he deserve those tech. But come on. We all know they have annointed Cousin as the problem child star. They get all the long leash of calling a tech on him, especially when your team's own commentators (looking at you Grant Naprick) is taking shot at your star players while sitting beside those officiating the game.

LOL. Demarcus is not hurting this team. Put Demarcus on teams of Westbrook (say even just move Oladipo and Kanter here) or Wall (say just have Beal and Porter here) and say that again.
If you don't get my post right, I saying that they are treating Demarcus worse than they are treating other emotional players. There are a lot more animated player on the court than Demarcus. But they don't make the same technical foul calls on them.
Have you seen Rondo's reaction on that tech of Gibson and compare to what Demarcus did?

I'll call Demarcus out if he deserve those tech. But come on. We all know they have annointed Cousin as the problem child star. They get all the long leash of calling a tech on him, especially when your team's own commentators (looking at you Grant Naprick) is taking shot at your star players while sitting beside those officiating the game.
How many people sit near the sidelines? What on earth makes you think the referees pay any attention to Napear?

Status
Not open for further replies.