Is Demarcus at the end of his rope in Sacramento?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't want to make this thread, but after hearing the KHTK morning show this morning (Feb 7), Demarcus has lost his last local defender/protector/advocate in the media.

Carmichael Dave is officially over Demarcus' inability to control his anger and frustration.

He has publicly stated that if Demarcus can't learn to control himself, then the Kings should trade him for mutual benefit. (He even thinks Demarcus should go to mental counseling (quietly, behind the scenes))
It appears that the Kings can not surround Demarcus with enough talent to win, and Demarcus simply isn't good enough to beat the entire NBA and the refs by himself.

It's equally clear that he can not get ahold of his frustration and has doubled/tripled/quadrupled down on the idea that "this is just me - I'm passionate and it makes me who and what I am."

His petulance on the court and sense of entitlement has reached new heights this year, as evidenced by his 16 technicals after only playing 63% of the season (despite him being the beneficiary of more questionable calls than any season thus far). At this pace, he would get almost 10 more techs if he played in them all, but that would mean he'd be sitting out 5 more games.

And let's not be fooling ourselves - if the Kings ever made the playoffs, I doubt if anyone believes Demarcus would be able to control himself in the extra-added pressure-filled environment of the playoffs.

This kind of repeated failure and embarrassment is not conducive to a satisfied fanbase or a satisfied star player.
How much of the fanbase still supports Demarcus and his antics? 10%?

With the season basically in flames, and little future prospects (draft or roster or free agents), is 7 years long enough in this experiment to pull the plug?
What would it take for Demarcus to be able to control himself?
What would it take for the fanbase to accept his outbursts and flawed play?

I just don't see how this goes away, and it definitely won't go away after $200+ million reasons for him to not change..

MOD NOTE: Carmichael Dave has taken the time to respond. (Thanks Dave!) Please see post #52.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

KingsFan80

I really don't want to make this thread, but after hearing the KHTK morning show this morning (Feb 7), Demarcus has lost his last local defender/protector/advocate in the media.

Carmichael Dave is officially over Demarcus' inability to control his anger and frustration.

He has publicly stated that if Demarcus can't learn to control himself, then the Kings should trade him for mutual benefit. (He even thinks Demarcus should go to mental counseling (quietly, behind the scenes))
It appears that the Kings can not surround Demarcus with enough talent to win, and Demarcus simply isn't good enough to beat the entire NBA and the refs by himself.

It's equally clear that he can not get ahold of his frustration and has doubled/tripled/quadrupled down on the idea that "this is just me - I'm passionate and it makes me who and what I am."

His petulance on the court and sense of entitlement has reached new heights this year, as evidenced by his 16 technicals after only playing 63% of the season (despite him being the beneficiary of more questionable calls than any season thus far). At this pace, he would get almost 10 more techs if he played in them all, but that would mean he'd be sitting out 5 more games.

And let's not be fooling ourselves - if the Kings ever made the playoffs, I doubt if anyone believes Demarcus would be able to control himself in the extra-added pressure-filled environment of the playoffs.

This kind of repeated failure and embarrassment is not conducive to a satisfied fanbase or a satisfied star player.

With the season basically in flames, and little future prospects (draft or roster or free agents), is 7 years long enough in this experiment to pull the plug?

I just don't see how this goes away, and it definitely won't go away after $200+ million reasons for him to control himself.
I don't support his antics, but with that being said I think the franchise failed DeMarcus which has lead to some of his antics. Does that give him an excuse for acting the way he does? Of Course not. But bad decision after bad decision with the Front Office - Maloofs, Peterie, Vivek, PDA and now Vlade have lead to this team having no talent. Losing over and over takes it's toll on players.

Don't care about his antics at all. It's passion, entertainment. I think he has area for maturation and will get better through time in a more conducive environment. It also helps, for me, that this is a season I'm concerned about draft positioning even more, as it relates to suspensions now or furure

He actually seems more calm overall than in years past he has games where he doesnt complain at all but they usually come after blow-ups like last night. Almost garuntee he will be calm his next game back. He cannot consistently control himself and it looks particularly bad on the day that the kings leaked out to espn that they plan on giving him the keys for the 4-5 years at a record deal.

Stop getting into with other teams scrubs! They prey on your mental weakness! Your the fastest player to 16 techs and a suspension in nba history!

I don't like his extra "handsy-ness" this year where he will diliberately walk into a players path after a whistle causing some little stir up, those things add up and are really pointless.

The broadcast quality has improved so much that alot of the time what he says on the court can be picked up and yeah I get it he is who he is but come on man chill out some times.

I dont like how he hangs his head after a teammate misses (saw that on a ben miss last night and at other parts of the season) thats not what a leader does, demarcus is not a leader but the least he can do is be a good teammate, how is ben going to feel the next time he has a look? I better pass it to the bully or hes gonna show me up again?

I see Andre Roberson shoot wide open corner threes into the fourth row but at the next stoppage the "passionate" russell westbrook is right there to encourage him.

At 8 years into his career and with 200+ million locked up im not sure hes going to have the incentive to change and the FO is either tenative and scared to deal away the best big in the league in his prime or they know for a fact they wont get close to equal value.

The big thing around the kings is culture change but thats a load of BS as long as Cuz is here, even his biggest defenders cant deny his attitude problems. We wont win without a high character/leader superstar next to him and have no means to get that player. So this is what we have and are going to have.

What makes all this so frustrating and complicated is that when Cousins is engaged and not crying or whining he is unstoppable!
He single handedly tore apart the skinny jumpshooting 41-7 dubs.

He was the offense AND defense in that game, they tried to switch him onto guards and he showed that when it counts he can stay in front or Curry/KD.

It seems like such a simple fix for a normal person but after 7 years of watching I think kings fans will just have to accept it, he is NOT going anywhere nor is he changing who he is. This franchise rides or dies(to this point died) with cuz.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Cause Carmichael Dave said so? Wow, okay. Even Dave would have to laugh at that one. :) Two days ago Vlade said they're working on an extension. I'll take his word for it. DeMarcus is playing some of his best basketball right now, the roster is a barren wasteland without him (with apologies to the youngsters who may yet grow into talented NBA vets in their own time) and you're talking about getting rid of him because he can't control himself with the refs? It's not like my opinion matters, but if the Kings do that they deserve what's coming to them. It could take 10 years of Sixers level losing to find another star as capable as Boogie. Lottery picks guarantee nothing. I'm tired of watching this team play too but that has nothing to do with DeMarcus. He's the only reason to watch right now.

I get that having a radio show means you have to fill up air time and the day after your star player gets 2 techs and earns himself a suspension you really need to talk about that. I'm sure he'll drop in at some point and let us know, but it wouldn't surprise me if Dave himself changes his mind about this in a week or so. If you take emotions out of it, it just doesn't make sense to trade DeMarcus right now. We'd be getting pennies on the dollar for possibly the best talent in franchise history. Are you fed up with DeMarcus or are you fed up with losing? That's an important question to answer honestly because getting rid of him will undoubtedly lead to a lot more losing.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
end of his rope? why would Vlade come out and state to ESPN that he isn't up for trade then? That's isn't something Vlade will do, at least not right now. Plus, he is required to play one full season after the contract extension so if he is at the end of his rope with this franchise, it won't be until 2019.

G

glassman

I'm with Dave Carmichael sorta... it's old...

we can't trade him now...We need and should absolutely sign him to that $200+ million contract. Only because he's a HOF talent and we can't let him go for nothing.

But until he stops yelling at the refs almost every time down the floor and constantly losing his cool we are stuck.

Good news is that he has improved as far as getting into early foul trouble this year. It used to be the worst.

All we can do is cross our fingers and hope he matures more. Maybe get him some therapy.

But maybe trade him after 2018 if he's still being a clown

Demarcus has an awesome skillset, and he hasn't even reached his prime yet! It would be a shame to watch him go to another team and become the HOF star that his amazing skillset suggests is possible. I even enjoy his personality. But I am so tired of his lack of mental discipline.

I no longer believe that Demarcus has the tools upstairs to take us or any other team to the promised land. He could (perhaps) be the #2 or #3 guy that gets their team there. But not as any team's #1 star.

So with his $200 million contract next year (which seems to be Vlade's plan), I wonder if we would have the ability to have a roster with 2-3 other big-contract "stars" and the requisite role players - who would be necessary to give the Kings flight? I'm not even debating whether we should fill those slots with free agents, or trade for them, or grow them ourselves. I'm just focusing on what the roster looks like for Demarcus to be on a championship contender.

If/when he is traded, I will only care about whether we got decent talent/assets in return. And I'm not expecting his trade value to be equal to a top ten talent. Why? Because Demarcus is not going to be any owner or GM's top ten pick if all players were available. But maybe a top 20 or 25. So that's his real value, IMO.

The attitude can still be a detriment at times, but the way Cousins has been playing lately (mainly the passing and reading double/triple teams) has made me into a believer that we can go all the way with him. The biggest issue with Cousins is that he bears a huge burden, we rely on him completely to save us on the court. We need to get the man some real help. Not some 10th guy off the bench help, a real number 2. We get that and it would change this team completely. Suddenly, the role players that are taking too many shots or shots they shouldn't be taking wouldn't have to do that anymore. Things would fall in line and the roster would make more sense.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Not sure where to put this, but shots fired @ refs by Tolliver

Anthony Tolliver ‏@ATolliver44 6m6 minutes ago

My two guys right here are the definition of #misunderstood! But I'm riding with them all day… https://www.instagram.com/p/BQOEDFTFQD0/

• atolliver44My two guys right here are the definition of #misunderstood! But I'm riding with them all day long! Even when we have three extra opponents
Look at the NBA "Last 2 minute report" for the Kings win against the Warriors. Cuz got away with 2 blatant travels (which he does all the time by the way) and Collison got away with a blatant grab on Curry on the last play when he missed the layup. But, of course, nobody around here will look at that! It's easy to blame the refs for everything. True winners will take accountability for the failures and find ways to fix them.

http://official.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2017/02/L2M-GSW-SAC-02-04-17.pdf

Look at the NBA "Last 2 minute report" for the Kings win against the Warriors. Cuz got away with 2 blatant travels (which he does all the time by the way) and Collison got away with a blatant grab on Curry on the last play when he missed the layup. But, of course, nobody around here will look at that! It's easy to blame the refs for everything. True winners will take accountability for the failures and find ways to fix them.

http://official.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2017/02/L2M-GSW-SAC-02-04-17.pdf
It happens to every team, it even happens in the playoffs. I'll get ridiculed for saying this here but to me always blaming the refs is just an excuse. I would like to see a culture change of not crying after every whistle and not blaming refs.

In a team sport, you have a problem when the person you look to for leadership has trouble providing it. It is even more troubling when there are immature outbursts and a bad temper. It is not just "part of the game and entertaining." It is embarrassing and counter productive. I really like Cousins' play, but I do not like his antics at all.

I just don't see how this goes away, and it definitely won't go away after $200+ million reasons for him to not change..

Nonsense, You don't trade away HOF talent because of what the media says.

Dave if you want to come on here and state your case please do. I no longer listen to KHTK because they employ the Redhead.

Last edited:
In a team sport, you have a problem when the person you look to for leadership has trouble providing it. It is even more troubling when there are immature outbursts and a bad temper. It is not just "part of the game and entertaining." It is embarrassing and counter productive. I really like Cousins' play, but I do not like his antics at all.
Steve Kerr???

Last edited:
I didn't blame him last night. That coach comes flying out of no where and runs into him and Barnes. Escalating the hell out of a situation that wasn't even going to be a big deal. Then the refs screw us again at the end of a Bulls game. He gets some stupid techs but the refs deserved whatever he said to them last night.

I'm with Cousins until the end. He shows us incredible loyalty so we need to show him the same thing.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I just don't care about Cousins anymore. I have no investment in him whatsoever. It used to be that I'd get angry at his childish antics and question whether he would ever really get it. Now he's pretty much dead to me. I see him roll his eyes at a call, act out after a call, I see the "woe is me" facial expressions, the technicals, and just not playing after he gets frustrated, and it's ....whatever. And then I see his great talent harnessed at times to great effect, and it's...whatever. Really, the only thing I concern myself at all with Cousins is what the Kings could get in a trade for him, as that is the only way forward for this franchise. But the answer to that question is a total unknown. We have no idea what conversations Divac has had with other teams; we have no idea how little or how much the Kings would get in a trade. So it's limbo-land with different games and different outcomes to those games, but it's all really the same as it has been for years and years. Just a waiting game.

Im not tired or Cousins antics. Im tired of Fans constantly complaining about it, like the big guy is out there kicking puppys or something. It's so old. DMC carried this joke of a roster to wins over the Warriors and Cavaliers, but let's once again talk about his hot temper, while ignoring the situation that caused the outburst or talking crap like "the dude is so immature!!".
His teammates openly support him. That's all I need to know.

I just don't care about Cousins anymore. I have no investment in him whatsoever. It used to be that I'd get angry at his childish antics and question whether he would ever really get it. Now he's pretty much dead to me. I see him roll his eyes at a call, act out after a call, I see the "woe is me" facial expressions, the technicals, and just not playing after he gets frustrated, and it's ....whatever. And then I see his great talent harnessed at times to great effect, and it's...whatever. Really, the only thing I concern myself at all with Cousins is what the Kings could get in a trade for him, as that is the only way forward for this franchise. But the answer to that question is a total unknown. We have no idea what conversations Divac has had with other teams; we have no idea how little or how much the Kings would get in a trade. So it's limbo-land with different games and different outcomes to those games, but it's all really the same as it has been for years and years. Just a waiting game.
This is exactly where I am too. Meh. Cousins is melting down again. So what. He's never gonna change. Cousins is beasting, tossing fools around. That's cool, for the moment. Big picture? Still won't change a dam thing. My only saving grace with the Kings current state is Trading cousins won't change the fact that we still have the dumbest (Sports wise) most hard headed owner in sports. Vivek is still this teams biggest roadblock to getting over this never ending mediocrity.

Last edited:
Im not tired or Cousins antics. Im tired of Fans constantly complaining about it, like the big guy is out there kicking puppys or something. It's so old. DMC carried this joke of a roster to wins over the Warriors and Cavaliers, but let's once again talk about his hot temper, while ignoring the situation that caused the outburst or talking poopoo like "the dude is so immature!!".
I couldn't agree more!

Im not tired or Cousins antics. Im tired of Fans constantly complaining about it, like the big guy is out there kicking puppys or something. It's so old. DMC carried this joke of a roster to wins over the Warriors and Cavaliers, but let's once again talk about his hot temper, while ignoring the situation that caused the outburst or talking poopoo like "the dude is so immature!!".
Here's why I care:

Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixYS 16m16 minutes ago
That Cousins has 16 techs before the All-Star break is troubling. Kings trying to make playoffs. Every other tech from now on, it's a game.
I also care because I am paying ticket holder. I would like to see him, a player I enjoy watching, play tomorrow when I attend. I would prefer he not put himself in situations where he cannot play. Is that too much to ask?

K

KingMilz

For the first time since has has been here we are in the playoff race this long into the season (due to the West being awful) and Cousins now gets himself suspended maybe the pressure of actually have a shot at the playoffs is getting to him. If all he wants to do is win in Sacramento I think the best way to start is by not missing games.....

Well your gonna hear about it ALOT MORE because cousins can't help himself and if he's gonna be getting suspended after every other tech from here on out........ WOW! What's the over/under on how many times cousins is suspended?

Status
Not open for further replies.