If the Draft Doesn't Go According to Plan...

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well if a franchise level talent slips to us at #6 (which Cousins was considered at the time), then yeah let's make the pick. The top 4 in this draft are considered to be those types of players. It doesn't mean nobody else can become that player. It just means nobody is expecting it and willing to put money down that it will happen.

I don't see any problem with moving the pick if we're not in a position to draft a player who has a good shot at being a franchise level player.
Let me say again, I don't have a problem with trading a draft pick. But it depends on who were getting in return. However, if the bar for keeping the pick is a franchise level player, then we might as well just trade them all in advance. If you can acquire a player that becomes a starter, or even a valuable off the bench player (Kyle Korver), then that's a good result out of the draft. Lets not forget that your drafting a young player for four years at a very cheap price. The trick is, you have to make a good choice and have reasonable expectations. Whatever you do, please don't trade the pick for another John Salmons. The problem with bad picks isn't the draft, it's the picker. I'm anxious to see what Vlade comes up with.

Let me say again, I don't have a problem with trading a draft pick. But it depends on who were getting in return. However, if the bar for keeping the pick is a franchise level player, then we might as well just trade them all in advance. If you can acquire a player that becomes a starter, or even a valuable off the bench player (Kyle Korver), then that's a good result out of the draft. Lets not forget that your drafting a young player for four years at a very cheap price. The trick is, you have to make a good choice and have reasonable expectations. Whatever you do, please don't trade the pick for another John Salmons. The problem with bad picks isn't the draft, it's the picker. I'm anxious to see what Vlade comes up with.
What everyone is arguing with you about is this statement:

How would you have liked it if we had traded the fifth pick in the draft for a veteran player five years ago, and Cousins was now the starting center on another team?
This is not an apples to apples comparison.

First of all, we were not in a position to win at that point, so trading a pick for veteran would have been foolish.

Second of all, you shouldn't be trading a pick (unless you're getting a lot back) if the player you're in a position to draft can be a franchise changer. Cousins had that potential at that time. Comparing trading the 5th pick (when we Cousins was availabel) compared to the 6th pick this year (which will likely result in someone like Cauley-Stein) is a terrible comparison. I don't care about the number of the pick, I care about the players who are left when you're on the clock to pick. That's all that matters. Cousins has way more potential than Cauley-Stein. Cousins was projected out as a possible franchise cornerstone (if he got his head on straight) while Cauley-Stein is projected out as a high-end roleplayer, who can anchor a defense. Not saying that isn't a useful player to have on a team, but those two prospects are on completely different levels.

Third of all, I didn't say that we should trade every pick if we're not in a position to take franchise level talent. I'm saying that it does make plausible sense to trade a pick that will likely end up topping out as a rolepayer for a veteran roleplayer. There's always that chance the player could become better than a roleplayer, but that's the risk you have to take when you need to win now. And I say need with emphasis. Cousins is our best shot at a title. We need to start winning and competing immediately to convince him to stay here. If we were in no risk to lose Cousins after his contract is up, then yeah let's develop through the draft since in this scenario WE HAVE TIME. Unfortunately, time isn't on our side which makes trading away a pick logical in certain situations and a risk we should be willing to take.

Ideally, I think we could lower the protection of the 2016 pick to something like top 3 or top 5 and make a deal for Gibson (might have to throw in some guys like McCallum and Moreland to get it done). Gives them a chance at a high pick while basically guaranteeing that they will get a 1st (rather than it turning into a 2nd rounder on them), but they also get a couple young prospects, and some cap space free'd up.

In this scenario, we get to keep our pick and our young SG assets as well. Maybe you take Cauley-Stein 6th and delegate him to 4th big duties behind Cousins, Gibson, and Thompson in an effort to not rush him. Next year, he could progress into third big duties and we could either trade of release Thompson (contract is not guaranteed). The year after that, Gibson will be expiring and Cauley-Stein could step in as the future frontcourt mate of Cousins while resigning Gibson or Thompson to play in a third big role.

Or maybe we immediately look to package #6 with one of our young SGs to bring back a very good wing (not sure who would be available) knowing the frontcourt is good to go with Cousins, Gibson, & Thompson.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Don't know what to tell you. I watched Kentucky play 26 times this year counting the tournament, and if you watched them play enough, you'd understand that WCS seldom had his number called on the offensive side of the ball. It's not that he can't score, it's that he seldom gets the chance to score. They didn't need him to score. Almost all of his baskets came on fast breaks, putbacks, and alley opps. Sprinkled in over the entire season, he'd occasionally hit a 15 foot jumper, or score on an over the left shoulder hook shot. But in general, Calapari wanted ball movement, and people that were more prolific scorers doing the heavy lifting. Anyone, and I mean anyone, that did nothing but look at stats on the Kentucky players, has no idea how good or bad they are. If you tuned in for the wrong game, you'd think Karl Towns was not worth the time of day. You might see a game where he scored 4 points on 5 shots, had 3 boards and played 17 minutes. If you judged him on that game, you wouldn't have a clue how damm good a player he is. And I'm not talking about you, but in general.

Now saying that your comparing Turner to Towns makes perfect sense. Their similar players skill wise. But that's where it ends. However, as I said, I'm willing to cut Turner some slack because of how he was played, just like I'm willing to make concessions with WCS. I would have liked to see Turner on a team where he was a more featured player in the offense. He wasn't, so all we have to go on is what we saw. What I find interesting is some want to praise Turner's post game, and criticize Towns post game. That totally blows my mind. Turner seldom went into the post, while Towns spent probably 70% of his time in the post when it came to scoring, and he was very efficient at it. When I watch collge players, I don't pay a lot of attention to their stats, or Per's until after the fact. I really don't care. I'm more interested in how they play the game and what their skill set is. I also take into account as to how their being used. There's a reason that most UCLA players under Howland ended up being better NBA players than they showed at UCLA. I think the same thing could be said of Barnes at Texas.

To sum it up, I'm pretty sure I know what WCS can do. I'm not sure I know the same about Turner. So its not that I really disagree with you on his potential. He may ultimately end up being the better player. I just think there's more risk involved with Turner. Plus, I don't put that much emphasis on the offense of a defensive PF next to Cousins.
The biggest advantage to drafting Cauley-Stein is that a player with his athleticism, size, and experience basically can't fail in the NBA. He'll probably need to get a little stronger (like most prospects) and he can work on his overall skillset but you already know when you draft him what his role will be and he should be reasonably successful in that role barring injury. I'm also reasonably sure that he will always be a complimentary player in the NBA. He is a good team defender who can deter opponents near the basket, show effectively on ball handlers in the pick and roll, and finish in open space. But he's not an elite rebounder or shotblocker, he can't create his own shot, and he struggles finishing through contact. That's fine if that's what you're looking for, certainly we need help in a lot of areas. My biggest fear with Cauley-Stein is that he basically turns into another Jason Thompson -- a skilled role-player who doesn't contribute consistently enough to be a full-time starter. I'm fine drafting that kind of player at #10. At #6 or 7 in this draft, I think we can do better.

It's definitely an eye of the beholder thing. I rate Cauley-Stein a little lower than a lot of people here because I don't think we should go into any draft looking to maximize how good the team is next season.* If you're not thinking 2-3 years down the line in the draft then you're doing it wrong. My goal with the draft every year isn't to identify who the best prospects are right now, it's to identify which will be the best NBA players 2 or 3 years from now. And my argument with Myles Turner is that I think he'll be a better overall player than Cauley-Stein 2-3 years from now. Why would I say that? Because he was more impactful on his college team as a freshman, because he has a pedigree of elite performance going back to high school, because he had measurable success in three key areas -- defensive rebounding, shotblocking, and outside shooting -- which will allow him to establish a role on an NBA roster provided he continues to work on those skills. There's no right or wrong way to evaluate these kids. Every year there's somebody I really like that most rank in the middle of the first round. I guess this year it's Turner. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Turner is eventually a better pro than Karl Towns or Jahlil Okafor. I see that kind of potential with him. Enough to take a risk on him as high as the #6 spot.

*Team needs change too quickly to use the draft as a way to fill immediate needs. When we drafted Tyreke Evans we had just signed Kevin Martin to a 55 million dollar contract and we'd just signed Beno Udrih to a 25 million dollar contract. We had huge needs at SF, PF, and C. Martin got traded mid-season and Evans won Rookie of the Year. During the 2013 draft I thought we were looking for a backcourt partner for Tyreke. He signed with New Orleans before he ever played a single game with Ben McLemore. To further emphasize the point -- if we trade Rudy Gay or lose him to injury for a year, we suddenly look like a team that will struggle to score as defenses double and triple-team Cousins all night. Cauley-Stein goes from being a perfect compliment to our current roster to a liability in the starting lineup that quickly. A prospect with a more balanced mix of offensive and defensive skills and a higher potential ceiling might prove easier to build around.

JT was an offensive-minded player coming out of Rider and went through evolution over the years. WCS knows, who he is as a player, his own strengths and weaknesses, he is rather polished at his strengths, and he has the tools to play to his strengths.
When, you're trying to project a player, you usually look for skills on offense, even if they are raw, physical tools on D and the way they apply it to gauge potential early impact.
Offensive skills.
Turner looks a bit ahead, but it's not all rosy:
  • his most effective plays were in the post, where he had trouble establishing deep position most of the time, so I would bet, that it won't be a viable option well into his career, unless he got a much smaller player stuck on him on a switch.
  • Myles has excellent shooting in his arsenal, even if it's not readily manifests itself in game situations, but you can close out hard on him as he doesn't have a driving game
  • handles are solid for a center/average for a PF
  • passing is rather bad (.027 Ast% in Conference play for Turner)
  • offers nothing on the offensive glass
WCS offers on offense:
  • constant threat to attack the basket off the ball, if you don't put a body on him. You can actually hit him 7-8 feet from basket, if there's open space, and Caulie can actually finish the play with one dribble move.
  • constant threat in early offense as he will still be able to outrun most of his defenders in the NBA as well
  • solid passer, though he's careless after grabbing rebounds, and can't throw oop passes. Level of play is all over the place in HS, and WCS didn't face a lot of top competition, but in this article: https://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1388302 there's a claim of him averaging around 4 apg as a senior, which is impressive regardless.
  • solid handles as he was often used to break the press with his combination of dribbling and speed to run into open spaces.
  • very good presence on offensive glass (he is basically boxed out most of the time due to allez-oop concerns, so his numbers are lower, than they should be), and with more spacing in the pros he should be able to get more out of the area rebounds with his mobility
  • don't put him in the post with his back to the basket, unless you want a TO
Defensive tools.
Both are around 9'2" in length. WCS is much more mobile and explosive vertically. Caulie-Stein is a bit stronger, but in 2-3 years they will probably be equal.
As for defensive skills Turner has better timing, when blocking shots. And WCS uses his foot speed and agility to full extent out on perimeter.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
What everyone is arguing with you about is this statement:

This is not an apples to apples comparison.

First of all, we were not in a position to win at that point, so trading a pick for veteran would have been foolish.

Second of all, you shouldn't be trading a pick (unless you're getting a lot back) if the player you're in a position to draft can be a franchise changer. Cousins had that potential at that time. Comparing trading the 5th pick (when we Cousins was availabel) compared to the 6th pick this year (which will likely result in someone like Cauley-Stein) is a terrible comparison. I don't care about the number of the pick, I care about the players who are left when you're on the clock to pick. That's all that matters. Cousins has way more potential than Cauley-Stein. Cousins was projected out as a possible franchise cornerstone (if he got his head on straight) while Cauley-Stein is projected out as a high-end roleplayer, who can anchor a defense. Not saying that isn't a useful player to have on a team, but those two prospects are on completely different levels.

Third of all, I didn't say that we should trade every pick if we're not in a position to take franchise level talent. I'm saying that it does make plausible sense to trade a pick that will likely end up topping out as a rolepayer for a veteran roleplayer. There's always that chance the player could become better than a roleplayer, but that's the risk you have to take when you need to win now. And I say need with emphasis. Cousins is our best shot at a title. We need to start winning and competing immediately to convince him to stay here. If we were in no risk to lose Cousins after his contract is up, then yeah let's develop through the draft since in this scenario WE HAVE TIME. Unfortunately, time isn't on our side which makes trading away a pick logical in certain situations and a risk we should be willing to take.

Ideally, I think we could lower the protection of the 2016 pick to something like top 3 or top 5 and make a deal for Gibson (might have to throw in some guys like McCallum and Moreland to get it done). Gives them a chance at a high pick while basically guaranteeing that they will get a 1st (rather than it turning into a 2nd rounder on them), but they also get a couple young prospects, and some cap space free'd up.

In this scenario, we get to keep our pick and our young SG assets as well. Maybe you take Cauley-Stein 6th and delegate him to 4th big duties behind Cousins, Gibson, and Thompson in an effort to not rush him. Next year, he could progress into third big duties and we could either trade of release Thompson (contract is not guaranteed). The year after that, Gibson will be expiring and Cauley-Stein could step in as the future frontcourt mate of Cousins while resigning Gibson or Thompson to play in a third big role.

Or maybe we immediately look to package #6 with one of our young SGs to bring back a very good wing (not sure who would be available) knowing the frontcourt is good to go with Cousins, Gibson, & Thompson.
My original statement didn't have anything to do with the circumstances surrounding the pick. I didn't bring that up, VF21 did. I was speaking on principle. When you trade away a pick, you could be trading away an all star. Jimmy Butler was the 30th pick in the draft. Now I'm not stupid. I realize that's not the norm, but I refuse to be painted into a corner. I said I'm willing to trade the pick, but its not my agenda. I'm not shopping the pick, and I don't offer it unless it's brought up. I don't believe in giving away the bank like a lot of the people on this forum do (not you). I guess I don't value Gibson as much as you do. At six, were almost guaranteed to have a shot at Willie Cauley-Stein, and if I had to choose between Gibson and Cauley-Stein right now, I'd take Stein ten times out of ten. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to bringing in Gibson, but I think Stein is better than the fourth big on the team.

Let me put it this way. I don't know if your remember what this board was like prior to the Cousins draft. There were a lot of posters that didn't want Cousins. There were quite a few that wanted to trade the pick. I was, and yes I'm tooting my own horn, one of the few that voiced an opinion defending Cousins, and believe me, I was in daily arguments back then. I posted video's that defended him. I posted articles from the university newspaper defending him. He was called a thug. He was accused of shoving a student from another team after a game. He was accused of throwing an elbow in a tussle on the floor. And it went on and on. It wasn't as though everyone on this forum was on board with us picking Cousins. Quite the opposite, and if there were those that supported him, they kept their mouths shut for the most part.

My point is, us choosing Cousins wasn't a no brainer. That's why he ended up falling to us. Most of those that lobbied against him are seldom heard from now. I never felt more strongly about a player than I did Cousins, and I almost feel that same way about Cauley-Stein. I've watched him play for three years now, and my gut tells me he's going to be a special defensive player. Would I trade the chance to draft him away? Yes, but I damm well better get something back in return that impacts the lineup for the forseeable future. Example: Would I trade the pick (Cauley-Stein) straight across for Ty Gibson? No, not in a million years. Why? Because I think Stein is going to be a far better defensive player than Gibson could ever be. But hey, you could be right, and I could be wrong. That's what makes the world go round. I do like your idea of having both Stein and Gibson. Need to get rid of either Landry or JT then.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
JT was an offensive-minded player coming out of Rider and went through evolution over the years. WCS knows, who he is as a player, his own strengths and weaknesses, he is rather polished at his strengths, and he has the tools to play to his strengths.
When, you're trying to project a player, you usually look for skills on offense, even if they are raw, physical tools on D and the way they apply it to gauge potential early impact.
Offensive skills.
Turner looks a bit ahead, but it's not all rosy:
  • his most effective plays were in the post, where he had trouble establishing deep position most of the time, so I would bet, that it won't be a viable option well into his career, unless he got a much smaller player stuck on him on a switch.
  • Myles has excellent shooting in his arsenal, even if it's not readily manifests itself in game situations, but you can close out hard on him as he doesn't have a driving game
  • handles are solid for a center/average for a PF
  • passing is rather bad (.027 Ast% in Conference play for Turner)
  • offers nothing on the offensive glass
WCS offers on offense:
  • constant threat to attack the basket off the ball, if you don't put a body on him. You can actually hit him 7-8 feet from basket, if there's open space, and Caulie can actually finish the play with one dribble move.
  • constant threat in early offense as he will still be able to outrun most of his defenders in the NBA as well
  • solid passer, though he's careless after grabbing rebounds, and can't throw oop passes. Level of play is all over the place in HS, and WCS didn't face a lot of top competition, but in this article: https://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1388302 there's a claim of him averaging around 4 apg as a senior, which is impressive regardless.
  • solid handles as he was often used to break the press with his combination of dribbling and speed to run into open spaces.
  • very good presence on offensive glass (he is basically boxed out most of the time due to allez-oop concerns, so his numbers are lower, than they should be), and with more spacing in the pros he should be able to get more out of the area rebounds with his mobility
  • don't put him in the post with his back to the basket, unless you want a TO
Defensive tools.
Both are around 9'2" in length. WCS is much more mobile and explosive vertically. Caulie-Stein is a bit stronger, but in 2-3 years they will probably be equal.
As for defensive skills Turner has better timing, when blocking shots. And WCS uses his foot speed and agility to full extent out on perimeter.
Pretty accurate description of both players. I might disagree with you on the timing on shot blocking, but I'd be nit picking. One other thing that separates Turner and Stein, is intensity. WCS is always focused and aggressive. I can't say the same thing about Turner. One of my pet peeves about him. However, one could have said the same thing about Drummond in college as well. And no, I'm not comparing Turner to Drummond. You mentioned that Turners best offense came in the post, but interestingly, only 23% of his shots were in the post. Not sure what that means in the grand scheme of things, but one could assume that he doesn't like physical play. Or, one could assume that he was being told to stand on the perimeter and shoot. He doesn't have a bad looking shot, he just didn't hit many (27%) of them from beyond the arc. Good freethrow shooter though, so that bodes well.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The biggest advantage to drafting Cauley-Stein is that a player with his athleticism, size, and experience basically can't fail in the NBA. He'll probably need to get a little stronger (like most prospects) and he can work on his overall skillset but you already know when you draft him what his role will be and he should be reasonably successful in that role barring injury. I'm also reasonably sure that he will always be a complimentary player in the NBA. He is a good team defender who can deter opponents near the basket, show effectively on ball handlers in the pick and roll, and finish in open space. But he's not an elite rebounder or shotblocker, he can't create his own shot, and he struggles finishing through contact. That's fine if that's what you're looking for, certainly we need help in a lot of areas. My biggest fear with Cauley-Stein is that he basically turns into another Jason Thompson -- a skilled role-player who doesn't contribute consistently enough to be a full-time starter. I'm fine drafting that kind of player at #10. At #6 or 7 in this draft, I think we can do better.

It's definitely an eye of the beholder thing. I rate Cauley-Stein a little lower than a lot of people here because I don't think we should go into any draft looking to maximize how good the team is next season.* If you're not thinking 2-3 years down the line in the draft then you're doing it wrong. My goal with the draft every year isn't to identify who the best prospects are right now, it's to identify which will be the best NBA players 2 or 3 years from now. And my argument with Myles Turner is that I think he'll be a better overall player than Cauley-Stein 2-3 years from now. Why would I say that? Because he was more impactful on his college team as a freshman, because he has a pedigree of elite performance going back to high school, because he had measurable success in three key areas -- defensive rebounding, shotblocking, and outside shooting -- which will allow him to establish a role on an NBA roster provided he continues to work on those skills. There's no right or wrong way to evaluate these kids. Every year there's somebody I really like that most rank in the middle of the first round. I guess this year it's Turner. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Turner is eventually a better pro than Karl Towns or Jahlil Okafor. I see that kind of potential with him. Enough to take a risk on him as high as the #6 spot.

*Team needs change too quickly to use the draft as a way to fill immediate needs. When we drafted Tyreke Evans we had just signed Kevin Martin to a 55 million dollar contract and we'd just signed Beno Udrih to a 25 million dollar contract. We had huge needs at SF, PF, and C. Martin got traded mid-season and Evans won Rookie of the Year. During the 2013 draft I thought we were looking for a backcourt partner for Tyreke. He signed with New Orleans before he ever played a single game with Ben McLemore. To further emphasize the point -- if we trade Rudy Gay or lose him to injury for a year, we suddenly look like a team that will struggle to score as defenses double and triple-team Cousins all night. Cauley-Stein goes from being a perfect compliment to our current roster to a liability in the starting lineup that quickly. A prospect with a more balanced mix of offensive and defensive skills and a higher potential ceiling might prove easier to build around.
In one regard I hate these kind of discussions because I don't want it to seem as though I don't like Turner, because I do. I just don't value him as highly as you do. Where we really disagree in on the impact he had on Texas. I lost count of the games I saw Texas play, but there were games where he disappeared, or so it seemed. In games when he went up against other quality big's, he struggled, like when Texas played Kentucky. Towns and Stein flat shut Turner down and eventually fouled him out. Turner is a good rebounder, and especially a good defensive rebounder, but Stein is also a better defensive rebounder than offensive. I don't think that Turner is better shotblocker than Stein either, and I pay little or no attention to the stats this year. Yes, WCS only averaged 1.7 blocks a game this year, but the year before he averaged 2.9 blocks a game. Why the difference? Karl Anthony Towns, who is also a very good shotblocker, and who played next to WCS.

Calapari had a luxury in Stein, and he used him that way. There was a game late in the season where the other teams SG was killing Kentucky. In the second half, Calapari had WCS guard him, and he didn't score another point. The year before, Stein was the main defender of the paint. This year they had Towns, so they used Stein in a lot of different ways. Ways I might add that Turner is incapable of. I can't think of any player on the Kentucky team, other than perhaps Towns, that had more impact on the team than Willie Cauley-Stein. Who was it in the game against Notre Dame that guarded Grant all the way down the floor step for step to keep Grant from scoring? Willie Cauley-Stein! What other team has a center that can do that against a PG? Okafor couldn't have done it. Turner doesn't have the foot speed to do what Stein did.

Other than shotblocking, Turner isn't in the same class defensively as Stein. But if were talking overall game, then I have to start leaning back toward Turner. If he can become consistent with his outside shot, he can become a very good player in the NBA. But there is that IF in there. I doubt he'll be as good a player as Towns. But who knows? Towns can do everything Turner can do, and some things better. If Turner can catch up in those areas, then he might be as good a player as Towns. But I saw Towns simply take over games last year in ways that was dominate. I wish he had done it more, but the nature of the Kentucky team sort of eliminated that possibility. We do agree on long term as opposed to short term. I always look at draft picks as long term. Obviously you look for sooner rather than later, but if you want short term, then go trade for it, or sign a freeagent. I'll finish by saying, that if we end up with Myles Turner, I won't cry in my soup. I'll just hope and pray that your right about him. As I said, I like him, just not as much as you do.

My original statement didn't have anything to do with the circumstances surrounding the pick. I didn't bring that up, VF21 did. I was speaking on principle. When you trade away a pick, you could be trading away an all star. Jimmy Butler was the 30th pick in the draft. Now I'm not stupid. I realize that's not the norm, but I refuse to be painted into a corner. I said I'm willing to trade the pick, but its not my agenda. I'm not shopping the pick, and I don't offer it unless it's brought up. I don't believe in giving away the bank like a lot of the people on this forum do (not you). I guess I don't value Gibson as much as you do. At six, were almost guaranteed to have a shot at Willie Cauley-Stein, and if I had to choose between Gibson and Cauley-Stein right now, I'd take Stein ten times out of ten. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to bringing in Gibson, but I think Stein is better than the fourth big on the team.

Let me put it this way. I don't know if your remember what this board was like prior to the Cousins draft. There were a lot of posters that didn't want Cousins. There were quite a few that wanted to trade the pick. I was, and yes I'm tooting my own horn, one of the few that voiced an opinion defending Cousins, and believe me, I was in daily arguments back then. I posted video's that defended him. I posted articles from the university newspaper defending him. He was called a thug. He was accused of shoving a student from another team after a game. He was accused of throwing an elbow in a tussle on the floor. And it went on and on. It wasn't as though everyone on this forum was on board with us picking Cousins. Quite the opposite, and if there were those that supported him, they kept their mouths shut for the most part.

My point is, us choosing Cousins wasn't a no brainer. That's why he ended up falling to us. Most of those that lobbied against him are seldom heard from now. I never felt more strongly about a player than I did Cousins, and I almost feel that same way about Cauley-Stein. I've watched him play for three years now, and my gut tells me he's going to be a special defensive player. Would I trade the chance to draft him away? Yes, but I damm well better get something back in return that impacts the lineup for the forseeable future. Example: Would I trade the pick (Cauley-Stein) straight across for Ty Gibson? No, not in a million years. Why? Because I think Stein is going to be a far better defensive player than Gibson could ever be. But hey, you could be right, and I could be wrong. That's what makes the world go round. I do like your idea of having both Stein and Gibson. Need to get rid of either Landry or JT then.
Hey, I don't mind keeping the pick either if the right deal isn't there to be made. We shouldn't go making a deal if it's not a fair deal. so again, I agree that we shouldn't have the mindset that we will trade the pick no matter what; however, we should be willing to trade it if the right deal come along. And I think we're in agreement on this.

As for the idea of grabbing both Stein and Gibson, I think we would go ahead and stretch Landry. It gives us more cap space and obviously frees up a big man spot.

The Draft should go to plan as i feel there will be some good talent around where we pick.

what we should be prepared for, and where it may not go according to plan is if WCS is there and we pass him up. That i feel is a real legit concern but i guess we'll be able to assess the risk of that off the back of workouts etc that we are having and of course once our pick position is finalised.

Saw you have Myles Turner going to Sacramento at 6 in your A+ article. Do you see Turner rising up draft boards to that level? I always viewed Turner as a tier below where the 6th pick is with the Kings taking whatever is left of WCS, Porzingis, Winslow, or Hezonja.
Chad Ford
He was the No. 2 ranked high school player in the country. Being misused at Texas combined with the weird way he runs gave everyone pause. But if you look at him via analytics, he was one of the top 5 players in the draft. And I keep hearing two things out of Vegas where he's working out. One, his knees are fine and will pass the medical work being done in Chicago. Two, he got with a running coach and is running like a normal basketball player again. You take those two things off the table and suddenly he's a Top 5/6 prospect with NBA size, length, great rim protector and very good shooter. He's far ahead of where Willie Cauley-Stein was as a freshman.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...he-biggest-risk-reward-pick-of-2015-nba-draft

I'm taking Turner over WCS. Dude ceiling is extremely high and he can develop slowly next 2 years say 15-20mpg. A shot blocker/ floor spacer next to DMC would be huge while WCS would be Chandler like. Watching the playoffs an having a 3 that can't shoot or in WCS case can't be effective outside 5ft will severely hurt us.

Love this time of the year: post a vine of 4 made 3s in a row, and now you can shoot, doesn't matter that you still average 55% on open gym 3s like MCW; hire a running coach and now you can run, even though you moved like Roy Hibbert just two months ago; finish with authority against the pads, and now you're an elite finisher, even though you were getting travels in the post half the time in college; can shoot a step back mid-range jumper? you're a big, who will be able to create your own shot, even if you move slowly and awkwardly.

Turner doesn't have offense outside of his slow low percentage long range jumper, i.e. put a man on him and he's useless. WCS' constant threat to cut to the rim, if you leave him, forces teams to do the same, but while Turner is passively parked in the corner, WCS will set 8 screens per possession and get an offensive rebound. Running is not the main problem anyway, getting used to effectively moving all over inside the arc after you were parked in the paint in college is a much bigger one defensively. Learning to pass and dribble will be a new experience as well.

P.S. People should know better by now, than to read Chad Ford, unless it starts with "team likes...", "team expects..." - he's good at sources, horrible at analysis.