If the Draft Doesn't Go According to Plan...

What do we do if the draft doesn't go according to plan?

There has been a lot of talk on this forum about if we don't get a top 3 pick that we should draft Cauley-Stein. I'm totally on-board with that idea, but what if Cauley-Stein is selected before us? What if we get the 6th pick and the draft selections are Towns, Okafor, Russell, Mudiay, and Cauley-Stein? What then?

Do we trade the pick by itself for a veteran? Do we package the pick with one of our players to try and bring something bigger back? Do we simply draft the next person on our board?

I'm curious to see if anyone has some concrete ideas to what they would do under these circumstances rather than being lazy and just saying "I would trade it for a vet." Ideally, Cauley-Stein will be there when we draft, but we should always prepare for the worst.

Kiminsky and Porzingis are also decent prospects we should look out for. I also wouldn't mind taking Jerian Grant or Justise Winslow.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Well, with our cupcake schedule down the stretch, I think we're far more likely to get the 8-9 pick than the 6. So I think the idea of being prepared for WCS to be off the board is probably the prudent thing to do. If we keep our pick in that scenario, I'm pretty much on the Trey Lyles bandwagon at this point. I think the concept of playing him as a SF was a desperation move by Calipari after he over-recruited the post under the impression that WCS would declare last year (and let's not think too long and hard about the fact that had he done so he would likely be wearing purple right now...) Lyles is going to be much better at the PF, both defensively and offensively. He can spread the floor a bit - maybe out to 15 feet - not quite "stretch-4" range at the moment but still credible away from the basket, he's got a great drive and good handles, he can pass a bit, and he can play in the post. He really is a "full-size" PF (6'10" with 7'4" wingspan is the unofficial measure) and I think he came on real strong with Kentucky at the end of the year.

I don't see anybody else in the range I like better as a fit for this Kings team. Winslow is intriguing but I'm not sold on his outside shot or his size, and I feel like he almost needs to be a SG at the next level - where do we find time for him with Rudy at the 3 and right now two young SGs on the cheap duking it out for PT? If Winslow is the clear BPA where we pick, then we figure something out...but I'm not really sure that he is a clear BPA at any spot in our range (up to #10), especially if Lyles is still on the board.

Stanley Johnson is another player in the same boat as Winslow - if my read is right he's a better defender with a bit less ball handling but also has the suspect outside shot and wing-tweener size.

I just don't know anywhere near enough about the two Euros (Porzingis, Hezonja) to make any kind of educated guess on them.

I don't think Grant (or Wright, or Dunn, or Jones) has really convinced me that they're a clear upgrade to Collison, so I'm not really in favor of going that route.

Basically it's big man or bust if we keep the pick, and with WCS off the board I'm going to go Lyles over Poeltl (and I do like Poeltl quite a bit - he's a great rebounder, one of the few guys who reads the shot going up and legitimately starts boxing out before the release, to go on top of having good post play on both ends of the floor) and then the rest of the big men (Looney, Harrell, Turner, Kaminsky) are in a lower tier where I'm not sure where they fall, but none intrigue me as much as Lyles/Poeltl.

Kings Drafting 101:

Step 1: Take the Kings lottery position and raise it by 3. That is the Kings draft position!
Step 2: Pick the two players with the best chance of becoming all stars that are also likely to fall to us. Those players will be picked 1 spot ahead of us and 1 spot after us in no particular order!
Step 3: Once our draft position is finalized. Check mock drafts for players that are projected to go 5-7 spots after our pick. Those are the most likely players to end up on the Kings!

I say WCS, every time draft is mentioned, but he's still a very complicated pick: WCS needs to be a PF defensively, and you just can't pair him with another offensively limited big. That's actually a rather small club, that in the middle of the lottery is basically limited to Magic and Kings. And for Magic a lot will depend, where they see the future for Aaron Gordon - they flip-flopping between two forward positions. Anyway there's a long way to the draft, and WCS is not gonna shine in the process, since most of his game is team-based. He might post good numbers in Combine athletic tests, but everyone is already expecting that, so I doubt, he can exceed expectations, unless he runs 3/4 of the court faster, than anyone or something similar. I doubt, he participates in Combine's 5-on-5 or does competitive workouts. And the fact, that his skill level is low for a college junior, is still true. He might get in the zone, and make something like 12-16 from FT line, or string 3-4 shots in a row from 10-12 feet, but that's rather far-fetched at this point. Long story short by the end of the June impressions from the season are overshadowed by Combine and workouts, and Porzingis/Turner are going to show smooth drives to the basket, good footwork in the post and sweet outside shooting in the open gym - overall perception of WCS is very likely to drop, and I believe, wherever Kings are realistically picking, WCS will still be there.

Well, with our cupcake schedule down the stretch, I think we're far more likely to get the 8-9 pick than the 6. So I think the idea of being prepared for WCS to be off the board is probably the prudent thing to do. If we keep our pick in that scenario, I'm pretty much on the Trey Lyles bandwagon at this point. I think the concept of playing him as a SF was a desperation move by Calipari after he over-recruited the post under the impression that WCS would declare last year (and let's not think too long and hard about the fact that had he done so he would likely be wearing purple right now...) Lyles is going to be much better at the PF, both defensively and offensively. He can spread the floor a bit - maybe out to 15 feet - not quite "stretch-4" range at the moment but still credible away from the basket, he's got a great drive and good handles, he can pass a bit, and he can play in the post. He really is a "full-size" PF (6'10" with 7'4" wingspan is the unofficial measure) and I think he came on real strong with Kentucky at the end of the year.

I don't see anybody else in the range I like better as a fit for this Kings team. Winslow is intriguing but I'm not sold on his outside shot or his size, and I feel like he almost needs to be a SG at the next level - where do we find time for him with Rudy at the 3 and right now two young SGs on the cheap duking it out for PT? If Winslow is the clear BPA where we pick, then we figure something out...but I'm not really sure that he is a clear BPA at any spot in our range (up to #10), especially if Lyles is still on the board.

Stanley Johnson is another player in the same boat as Winslow - if my read is right he's a better defender with a bit less ball handling but also has the suspect outside shot and wing-tweener size.

I just don't know anywhere near enough about the two Euros (Porzingis, Hezonja) to make any kind of educated guess on them.

I don't think Grant (or Wright, or Dunn, or Jones) has really convinced me that they're a clear upgrade to Collison, so I'm not really in favor of going that route.

Basically it's big man or bust if we keep the pick, and with WCS off the board I'm going to go Lyles over Poeltl (and I do like Poeltl quite a bit - he's a great rebounder, one of the few guys who reads the shot going up and legitimately starts boxing out before the release, to go on top of having good post play on both ends of the floor) and then the rest of the big men (Looney, Harrell, Turner, Kaminsky) are in a lower tier where I'm not sure where they fall, but none intrigue me as much as Lyles/Poeltl.
I get the feeling Johnson is going to big on our board, especially if we're going to commit to the Rudy at the PF thing long-term. I don't have any worries about him being a tweener like a D-will or Gordon from Arizona; his ball-handling is far superior where both of them were coming out of school and are now. Johnson is a big, athletic SF that would absolutely thrive in Karl's system.

He's not going to have the same versatility as Gordon as I'm not sure he'll be able to defend the post effectively, but he's going to be a damn good perimeter defender. He's absolutely a willing defender in college, which is really important and rare for a college star, and his size and lateral quickness make him an absolute nightmare to try and beat off the dribble. And like most good defenders, he contests just about every shot and makes his opponents work.

What I like most about Johnson is the dude isn't afraid to mix it up. He WANTS to use his size and strength on both ends of the floor and even more importantly, knows that's his strength and goes to it. Offensively as a scorer, I see a lot of Tyreke Evans in his game in the sense that he doesn't pull any punches and is flat out going to use his size and strength to bully you to the rim. And while he won't come close to Reke's playmaking/passing ability, he's already a better shooter/off-ball player than Reke ever was.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, there's always the option of trading up.

I know Petrie never, ever moved around in the draft on draft day so we're used to that being the case and the Kings don't have a lot of bait to move up a few slots but it's still an option. WCS cures a lot of the Kings ills and barring a top 3 pick I'd try hard to get him.

As it stands, if we hold at six or drop down to eight for some reason, I'm okay with it. There's a lot of talent in this draft, and I'm confident that most players in the top 10 (as it stands on DX right now) can help us.

Granted, I'm not a WCS, Hezonja or Kaminsky fan and I think these prospects are overrated, but nonetheless they are still strong prospects that could surprise us. That doesn't mean I won't boo the selection in Brooklyn, though :). Looking forward to a favorable lottery - we're long overdue!

I get the feeling Johnson is going to big on our board, especially if we're going to commit to the Rudy at the PF thing long-term. I don't have any worries about him being a tweener like a D-will or Gordon from Arizona; his ball-handling is far superior where both of them were coming out of school and are now. Johnson is a big, athletic SF that would absolutely thrive in Karl's system.

He's not going to have the same versatility as Gordon as I'm not sure he'll be able to defend the post effectively, but he's going to be a damn good perimeter defender. He's absolutely a willing defender in college, which is really important and rare for a college star, and his size and lateral quickness make him an absolute nightmare to try and beat off the dribble. And like most good defenders, he contests just about every shot and makes his opponents work.

What I like most about Johnson is the dude isn't afraid to mix it up. He WANTS to use his size and strength on both ends of the floor and even more importantly, knows that's his strength and goes to it. Offensively as a scorer, I see a lot of Tyreke Evans in his game in the sense that he doesn't pull any punches and is flat out going to use his size and strength to bully you to the rim. And while he won't come close to Reke's playmaking/passing ability, he's already a better shooter/off-ball player than Reke ever was.
I agree.

I don't think Winslow is undersized by any means.

6'6-6'7 229lbs 6'10 wingspan. He has his entire frame almost filled out. He has the strength to guard SFs. He has the quickness to keep up with them too. I don't see how he's undersized for the 3. His strength is there. Compare that to Andrew Wiggins who has better measurements at 6'8 and 7'0 wingspan, but he weighed around 190lbs..

I can't see how anyone thinks Johnson is a tweener either.. he's a clear 3. 6'8 240lbs 7'0 wingspan. He's filled his frame and that 240lbs is all muscle.

Then you have a guy like Kelly Oubre who's 6'7 195lbs 7'1.5 wingspan. Great length, but he doesn't have his framed filled out like Winslow and Johnson.

I say WCS, every time draft is mentioned, but he's still a very complicated pick: WCS needs to be a PF defensively, and you just can't pair him with another offensively limited big. That's actually a rather small club, that in the middle of the lottery is basically limited to Magic and Kings. And for Magic a lot will depend, where they see the future for Aaron Gordon - they flip-flopping between two forward positions. Anyway there's a long way to the draft, and WCS is not gonna shine in the process, since most of his game is team-based. He might post good numbers in Combine athletic tests, but everyone is already expecting that, so I doubt, he can exceed expectations, unless he runs 3/4 of the court faster, than anyone or something similar. I doubt, he participates in Combine's 5-on-5 or does competitive workouts. And the fact, that his skill level is low for a college junior, is still true. He might get in the zone, and make something like 12-16 from FT line, or string 3-4 shots in a row from 10-12 feet, but that's rather far-fetched at this point. Long story short by the end of the June impressions from the season are overshadowed by Combine and workouts, and Porzingis/Turner are going to show smooth drives to the basket, good footwork in the post and sweet outside shooting in the open gym - overall perception of WCS is very likely to drop, and I believe, wherever Kings are realistically picking, WCS will still be there.

I'm actually starting to not worry at all about WCS on offense. I don't know if you've realized but everytime the other team double teams Cuz, JT just stands around... WCS will run and move around in the paint. I imagine so many High/low or assisted dunks by Cuz to WCS. WCS can do wonders for this team. He's an interesting player because how many players are there out there that bring 100% effort all the time? I think WCS is a special type of player, and with his work ethic, he can be good.

I see 2 teams that would heavily think about WCS. Magic and Charlotte. I don't know for sure if WCS could last till 10, but maybe he does?

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I can't see how anyone thinks Johnson is a tweener either.. he's a clear 3. 6'8 240lbs 7'0 wingspan. He's filled his frame and that 240lbs is all muscle.
Well, I suppose we'll have to wait for the combine, but when I look at Stanley Johnson on the court, I do not see a player who is remotely close to 6'8". I see a guy who is probably 6'5" without shoes. But the combine will tell all. I do like his frame.

I agree that banking on drafting WCS is asking for trouble. Heck, people were doing it all the time here about a year ago, and when yours truly politely pointed out that WCS might not even declare, he was shouted down ;) Obviously, he seems like a great fit, but I'm wary of any talk of personnel moves that includes "assuming we draft WCS" That's because we're getting a top 3 pick of course!

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I see 2 teams that would heavily think about WCS. Magic and Charlotte. I don't know for sure if WCS could last till 10, but maybe he does?
Well, Detroit is a bad bet with WCS not a great fit next to Drummond. I wouldn't count out the Nuggets or the Pacers, either. The Pacers may finally tire of Hibbert. There's a chance he's available but we should be prepared for the alternative.

What pla? When have we or even could we have had a plan? You see players, you rate them, you pick the best one available when your turn comes around. In all of it, you don't live or die with "a plan". Play 'em out, do your homework and hope for the best.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I'm actually starting to not worry at all about WCS on offense. I don't know if you've realized but everytime the other team double teams Cuz, JT just stands around... WCS will run and move around in the paint. I imagine so many High/low or assisted dunks by Cuz to WCS. WCS can do wonders for this team. He's an interesting player because how many players are there out there that bring 100% effort all the time? I think WCS is a special type of player, and with his work ethic, he can be good.

Going in order from current standings now, but bumping the Kings to 10th...let's see who would be interested in WCS.

1. Knicks- no they take Towns here

2. Wolves- I think they go either Russell or Okafor, but lean a bit towards Okafor.

3. 76ers- need a PG Mudiay

4. Lakers-They need help everywhere, but I don't see them taking WCS. I think Johnson

5. Magic
- They think about WCS here. Their 4 is Channing Frye and they just drafted Gordon last year, but WCS is probably better. They might need a SF because Tobias Harris is going to be RFA this season. If they don't want to pay him, they might have to go SF here even though they want a PF. Porzingis and WCS interest them but I feel like they'll go Winslow.

6. Nuggets- I think they need a SG. They might also think about drafted a big so they can trade Faried. I think for them, it's down to Porzingis and Hezonja. I think they go Hezonja who has potential to be like a Danillo Gallinari type of player.. and what better way of having Gallo teach him?

7. Detroit- No way they take WCS even with Monroe as a FA. If they want a big man they'll go Porzingis. They need a SF and might draft Oubre here.

8. Charlotte- They need a big man. This is where WCS might end up. It depends on who they'd rather have next to big AL. Porzingis (unknown but is a good offensive player), Kaminsky ( Stretch 4 on offense), or WCS (all defense). This is the most likely where WCS could end up.

9. Pacers- I don't they want to draft WCS

Well, going off your projections, everyone in the top ten apparently forgets to pick Russell, which, as much as I love WCS, would be a no-brainer selection barring a stunning revelation or two at the combine.

For the alternative, I think we have to look at all of our options. Winslow, Johnson, Kaminsky, Poeltl, Dunn, and maybe even Lyles.
Turner has pretty much everything we want, even draws comparisons to Ibaka and Bosh, though very, very raw. Extremely high risk for extremely high reward. He'd be top 3 next year if he spent another year developing in college.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Unless we get one of the first 5 picks...maybe 6, I have a feeling we will be moving that pick and 1 of our SGs and other pieces for veteran win now players. I'm looking at Faried and Lawson. Once we get past the initial first group of picks, I just don't think there is anyone that can help us immediately and that's what the organization is looking for.

Unless we get one of the first 5 picks...maybe 6, I have a feeling we will be moving that pick and 1 of our SGs and other pieces for veteran win now players. I'm looking at Faried and Lawson. Once we get past the initial first group of picks, I just don't think there is anyone that can help us immediately and that's what the organization is looking for.
moar lil dudes for us.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
First of all, I don't think Cauley-Stein is a make or break pick for us. He has a lot of talent defensively but I don't think he's anywhere close to Anthony Davis or Nerlens Noel on that end. He's very mobile and a legit 7 footer, but his block rate went way down this year and he also hasn't improved much offensively in three years. I think he's a safe pick, but almost everyone else in the top 10 has a higher ceiling than he does. I see him more as a Brian Grant level roleplayer than the defensive force some are predicting. That's a nice player to have, especially since he fits our needs so well, but there are probably better choices we could make.

After the consensus top 4 (Towns, Okafor, Mudiay, Russell), the next 4 for me are Johnson, Turner, Winslow, and Cauley-Stein in that order. Yes I have Cauley-Stein ranked 8th, not 5th. Johnson is the type of player who could eventually push Rudy Gay into a 6th man role (ala Andre Igoudala this year). He's just so smart defensively and always tries to put himself between the ball and the basket. On top of that he's physical enough to bull his way to the basket and get to the line and he's better than advertised from the three point line. I don't think he'll be near as prolific as James Harden as a scorer, but he has a similar type of offensive game where he doesn't look particularly quick or athletic but he keeps finding ways to put points on the board.

Winslow is a perfect bench wing for us -- he's instant energy and hustle. He's really improved as a scorer this season and you have to like his effort on defense. Every team needs players like that. Turner gets a bad rap I think having played at Texas instead of a bigger program with a better coach. When I look at Texas this year, almost everyone on that team got worse as the season went on. That doesn't happen on better coached teams. People forget that Turner was ESPN's #2 prospect from this class. He's got Chris Bosh type of potential though he's still got a long ways to go. Also, his numbers this year are actually very similar to LaMarcus Aldridge's freshman year at Texas. Minutes played, points, and rebounds are nearly the same and Turner average an additional block per game. Also Turner shot 84% from the free throw line which is really impressive for a freshman big man and suggests his developing three point jumper is probably legit as well.

We're going to learn more about Hezonja and Porzingis closer to the draft. Both of them deserve to be in the top 10 conversation from what I've seen. Hezonja is an explosive athlete who can shoot, handle, and drive to the basket and play either wing position. Porzingis is the kind of big man shooter we see in every draft it seems though he's a little more intriguing than most because he shows defensive potential as well. I also think Devin Booker is probably going to go in the 12-18 range but he's a player a lot of teams are likely to regret passing on. I would consider him at 9 or 10 and I'd definitely consider him if we package either McLemore or Stauskas in a trade for Noel. Philly currently has the #16 pick which is right about his projected draft range right now.

Obviously the higher the pick is the better chance we have of getting what we want in a trade, but even in the 6-8 range I think there are players on the board that other teams will covet. Johnson and Winslow in particular would be big gets for teams which need wing players (Lakers, Magic, Knicks, Sixers, Celtics, Nuggets, Pistons, Hornets). Of course that's contingent on them having something we want. Noel has come on strong at the end of the season and may be untouchable now. If we can't find a willing trade partner, I wouldn't feel bad about drafting Johnson, Winslow, Turner or Cauley-Stein. Turner is the only project among them who probably won't contribute as much right away but he could be the best player from this draft 3 or 4 years down the line.

So back to the original question, here's what I'm thinking at each lottery position:

(1) If we get #1 I'm 100% targeting Nerlens Noel and a lower Philly pick. A lot depends here on where Philly's top pick is and whether they get the Laker pick too, but I think we can make it happen somehow.
(2) Same as above, unless Philly has #1 -- although we might be able to talk them into the benefits of drafting both Towns and Mudiay to pair with Embiid next year. Drafting Towns is plan B unless he's off the board at #1 (which is pretty likely actually). I like Mudiay here in that case. Another possibility if Minnesota gets pushed to 4 is swapping picks with Minnesota in order to acquire Gorgui Dieng, who would also be a good fit in our starting lineup. Then we draft Mudiay, Russell, or Johnson at #4.
(3) Still targeting Noel, though we may have to drop the demand for a pick in return. Towns, Mudiay, or Russell would all be good choices for us if we keep the pick or make the Dieng trade.
-
-
(6-8) This is where things get interesting. Philly could have as many as 4 first round picks in this draft in which case they don't need another one. They probably want one of Johnson or Winslow though if they don't get the Lakers pick. Assuming Towns, Mudiay, Russell, and Okafor are all gone I'm drafting Johnson, Turner, Winslow or Cauley-Stein and looking for a veteran upgrade in free agency. If the pick is Johnson or Winslow, DeAndre Jordan may be on the market after the Clippers get bounced from the playoffs a fourth year in a row and start to think about making some changes. If we take Turner or Cauley-Stein we probably don't want to block them but we'll need to add a steady veteran somehow as our third big.

The only situation which is a little worrying is if we end up 9 or 10. That's the range where it's difficult to trade the pick for much value and the players left on the board probably need a couple years to develop before they're regulars in an NBA rotation. There's a decent enough chance though that Porzingis or Hezonja impress enough to push somebody else down. But it's too early to worry about that right now. Once we actually know what our pick is, it'll be easier to sort through these kinds of scenarios and determine which of them are likely.

Last edited:
The only players that really excite me, and that I think could fit with the new direction of this team and make a major impact both short and long term are Russell, Winslow, and Stanley Johnson.

Myles Turner might turn into a solid pro one day, but that day will be a few years from now at the very least. Even so, I never saw the hype on him when I watched him play. Lyles is a solid player but once again, I hardly see anything spectacular. He reminds me a bit of Anthony Randolph at times without the shot blocking and better post skills. I think he could turn in a Taj Gibson level player down the road maybe.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
First of all, I don't think Cauley-Stein is a make or break pick for us. He has a lot of talent defensively but I don't think he's anywhere close to Anthony Davis or Nerlens Noel on that end. He's very mobile and a legit 7 footer, but his block rate went way down this year and he also hasn't improved much offensively in three years. I think he's a safe pick, but almost everyone else in the top 10 has a higher ceiling than he does. I see him more as a Brian Grant level roleplayer than the defensive force some are predicting. That's a nice player to have, especially since he fits our needs so well, but there are probably better choices we could make.

After the consensus top 4 (Towns, Okafor, Mudiay, Russell), the next 4 for me are Johnson, Turner, Winslow, and Cauley-Stein in that order. Yes I have Cauley-Stein ranked 8th, not 5th. Johnson is the type of player who could eventually push Rudy Gay into a 6th man role (ala Andre Igoudala this year). He's just so smart defensively and always tries to put himself between the ball and the basket. On top of that he's physical enough to bull his way to the basket and get to the line and he's better than advertised from the three point line. I don't think he'll be near as prolific as James Harden as a scorer, but he has a similar type of offensive game where he doesn't look particularly quick or athletic but he keeps finding ways to put points on the board.
WCS isn't going to be a star. He isn't going to ever put a team on his back and win games. What he almost certainly IS going to be is an incredibly versatile defender who immediately helps with rim protection, weakside help, pick and roll defense, transition defense, defensive communication and even transition offense as a big that can rebound, throw the outlet pass and then motor down the court. I don't think he's a top potential talent in this draft but I think he's a really nice fit next to Cousins. But with Karl looking to institute the dribble drive offense and trying Rudy at the 4 I wonder if they'll even be looking at him hard.

(1) If we get #1 I'm 100% targeting Nerlens Noel and a lower Philly pick. A lot depends here on where Philly's top pick is and whether they get the Laker pick too, but I think we can make it happen somehow.
If the Kings jumped up to #1 and Philly got bumped down to #4 or #5 it's a really interesting idea. But hard to say whether Hinkie would think Noel was a reasonable price to move up 3 or 4 slots. They'd really have to be in love with Towns or Russell. I suppose maybe Okafor as well but makes zero sense with Embiid. Then again, the Sixers aren't looking to build a team, they are fishing for a superstar and they've got lots of bait. Noel and Mudiay (if he were to drop to 5) would be a huge haul. I can't see it happening, but boy would I love to see the Kings have a huge influx of talent.

It SHOULD be an interesting offseason.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
WCS isn't going to solve the problem of the Kings. He's not going to put them into the playoffs by his impact on the game. There is a lot more that would have to be done.

Towns, Okafor, Mudiay, Russell for the first four. Then what? I doubt it's WCS. I think he comes after those foreigners - Porzingas and Hezonja - both of whom are multi-skilled, not one-dimensional. I think Divac is also going to weigh in on this decision, and it's my hunch he goes for one of the Europeans if can't get into the top 3.

(2) Same as above, unless Philly has #1 -- although we might be able to talk them into the benefits of drafting both Towns and Mudiay to pair with Embiid next year. Drafting Towns is plan B unless he's off the board at #1 (which is pretty likely actually). I like Mudiay here in that case. Another possibility if Minnesota gets pushed to 4 is swapping picks with Minnesota in order to acquire Gorgui Dieng, who would also be a good fit in our starting lineup. Then we draft Mudiay, Russell, or Johnson at #4.
(3) Still targeting Noel, though we may have to drop the demand for a pick in return. Towns, Mudiay, or Russell would all be good choices for us if we keep the pick or make the Dieng trade.
My dream scenario is us winning the lottery and taking KAT or

1) Lakers pick falling to 6(76ers get this pick).
2) 76ers end up with the 3rd or 4th

That way, I'd trade our #1 overall for Philly's 3rd pick + Lakers 6th pick. 3rd overall we can draft Russell or Mudiay. 6th pick would be convo we're having now.

OR another scenario...

End up with #1 overall pick and Philly has the #2 overall pick. Trade #1 overall pick for #2 overall pick and Noel.

Win win situations all over the board if we win the lottery.