[Game] Hornets @ Kings Game Thread 11-21-2010

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Gotta applaud the effort, good defense for both teams. It's a shame we couldn't get that last rebound in the end to give ourselves a chance to tie it or take the lead. What I'm mostly disappointed in, besides Carl Landry, is Tyreke with 9 points is just unacceptable. This guy just does not assert himself more than he needs do. The team clearly has spurts where they just can't get anything going, it's supposed to be his time to get a shot for himself or get to the line. As for Landry, this guy chucks shots WAY too much, I want to punch a hole in the wall when I watch him play sometime. It will be interesting to see if tomorrow we can maintain the same defensive intensity tomorrow at Utah, it won't be easy.

Did PW forget how to coach or does he just not care any more?
As Bill Walton would say,"Horrrrible!" No continuity, no offense. Lack of a rotation. I know it's a young team and it's early, but it seems to me that PW is pulling his rotation out of a hat.

Really good defensive effort tonight, glad to finally see Donte Greene back in the fold and it's paying off. Really don't understand why we have to have either all or nothing when it comes to playing time for Donte or Omri. However I guess when Head, Beno and Cisco are all playing damn good ball Omri has to bust his butt back into the rotation.

My only real gripe about this ballgame is the offense, it's getting bowling shoe ugly sometimes, We need to get into it quicker, so many possesions where we finally get going with 10 or less seconds on that clock. Also Reke spoiled me last year I really forget how raw his game is as he doesn't do anything off the ball it's pain ful to watch sometimes. Anyways I'm loving the defense New Orleans really didn't prove to me to be as good as their record, but they made the plays when they needed to be made. I'm confident that if Westphal can resist to tinker and keeps getting this defensive effort from our guys we can improve lil' by lil' this season. I'll gladly deal with this slow paced frustrating offense on one end, if it means these guys can play sometimes alarmingly good defense.

What a frustrating game. I was somewhat impressed by the Kings' defense tonight but they just couldn't score more. Donte had a real good game and Sammy D had 4 blocks.The Kings shot under 39% and turned the ball over 21 times! We lost the game in the first when the Kings just couldn't capitalize on the Hornets' horrendous shooting by missing their share of shots. Cuz has had better games. This is one game we SHOULD have won. This sucks. Off to Utah.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Gotta applaud the effort, good defense for both teams. It's a shame we couldn't get that last rebound in the end to give ourselves a chance to tie it or take the lead. What I'm mostly disappointed in, besides Carl Landry, is Tyreke with 9 points is just unacceptable. This guy just does not assert himself more than he needs do. The team clearly has spurts where they just can't get anything going, it's supposed to be his time to get a shot for himself or get to the line. As for Landry, this guy chucks shots WAY too much, I want to punch a hole in the wall when I watch him play sometime. It will be interesting to see if tomorrow we can maintain the same defensive intensity tomorrow at Utah, it won't be easy.
I've got to think that Reke's ankle was bothering him more than we've heard. Despite the Hornets playing good D, there were a few times where I thought he could have made some plays if he were 100%

Good game, tonight. I am proud of the effort. But there's also a repetitive negative that I'm seeing from our main man, Tyreke Evans. The last possession of the game, Kings down by 5 with little hope, a time when star players will try anything to steal the game. Evans catches the ball with his lazy slow dribble, pretty much looking careless, drains precious seconds off the clock without an attempt.

Where has our "go-to" player been at the end of these games? I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with Tyreke Evans. I want to see him show some passion, some fire, out there on the court. His jumpshot hasn't improved enough for him to rely on it, so take it to the rack, draw some fouls. His turnovers kill me, which is why he doesn't come across as a good play-maker to me...
You might as well change your sig man.

We played good defense so what do you think the answer is? ;)
He’s not that bad..but he does need to work on his defense a lot more - especially when his shot isn't going in.

It’s so beautiful when I see Tyreke just blast past defenders. I wish he’d do that more.

Really good defensive effort tonight, glad to finally see Donte Greene back in the fold and it's paying off. Really don't understand why we have to have either all or nothing when it comes to playing time for Donte or Omri. However I guess when Head, Beno and Cisco are all playing damn good ball Omri has to bust his butt back into the rotation.

My only real gripe about this ballgame is the offense, it's getting bowling shoe ugly sometimes, We need to get into it quicker, so many possesions where we finally get going with 10 or less seconds on that clock. Also Reke spoiled me last year I really forget how raw his game is as he doesn't do anything off the ball it's pain ful to watch sometimes. Anyways I'm loving the defense New Orleans really didn't prove to me to be as good as their record, but they made the plays when they needed to be made. I'm confident that if Westphal can resist to tinker and keeps getting this defensive effort from our guys we can improve lil' by lil' this season. I'll gladly deal with this slow paced frustrating offense on one end, if it means these guys can play sometimes alarmingly good defense.
I don’t get the Donte vs. Omri thing either. I want both of them to get playing time…But Donte really needs to be in the Dunk Contest this year. Maybe we should start campaigning.

I’ve noticed Tyreke’s lack of movement too. He seems to stand in one spot (when he doesn’t have the ball). He needs to work on that.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I've got to think that Reke's ankle was bothering him more than we've heard. Despite the Hornets playing good D, there were a few times where I thought he could have made some plays if he were 100%
Maybe, maybe not. What I did not see is aggression from him. Ankle or not, you either play through it or rest it a couple of games until it's 95+ percent. He was attacking in the first quarter and he performed a total disappearance act for the rest of the three quarters. I'll hold off on further judgement, but I hope to see something worth mentioning by the All-Star break.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Did PW forget how to coach or does he just not care any more?
As Bill Walton would say,"Horrrrible!" No continuity, no offense. Lack of a rotation. I know it's a young team and it's early, but it seems to me that PW is pulling his rotation out of a hat.
Er..what? He kept the size and defensive pressure on almost the whole game and we could easily have beat a 10-1 team here. Not bringing Thompson back to spell Landry was an error though.

Er..what? He kept the size and defensive pressure on almost the whole game and we could easily have beat a 10-1 team here. Not bringing Thompson back to spell Landry was an error though.
Yep JT plays well with Cousins and Landry could have came back fresh. Overall a good game for the Kings. I did see on at least two occasions Donte fail to feed Cousins in the post. Instead Donte made a long across the court pass. Once for a turn over and the other resulted in a missed shot. Cousins needs the ball if he is open and in single coverage. Its the only way he will continue to progress that part of his game.

Tyreke continues to play with guts on what has to be a very sore ankle.

Good game but a loss is a loss:(

KB

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Yeah, JT played well because he only had a few minutes in the game. It reduces the opportunity for him to make errors. I like this rotation. No Casspi. A little dose of JT at the high post. Nice.

Was at the game tonight. Something funny is going on with this fanbase. I heard people booing Tyreke Evans. Nothing wrong with being a little more critical of the guy, but man, some people are expecting him to be Kobe Bryant already. Crazy!

Donte looked like the best king on the court today.

Glad somebody on the hornets finally started hitting shots. Marco was a fantastic pickup for Wright. I don't know why Toronto didn't play him.

Also:

I still see a dumb team that doesn't play the correct guys at the right times and spots.

The difference between Paul and Evans was very apparent tonight. We D'd up Paul, but he beat us with the pass over and over. He kept setting up guys who were struggling and they came through. Evans has no idea how to do that and he doesn't really look as into it this season. This is not an ankle issue, an ankle doesn't impair these things.

I still see a dumb team that doesn't play the correct guys at the right times and spots.

The difference between Paul and Evans was very apparent tonight. We D'd up Paul, but he beat us with the pass over and over. He kept setting up guys who were struggling and they came through. Evans has no idea how to do that and he doesn't really look as into it this season. This is not an ankle issue, an ankle doesn't impair these things.
I think hes starting to find out that its best for him to play the 2 position.. which might take a while for him to adjust as hes been playing PG all his life. Thats my 2cents anyway.

Donte looked like the best king on the court today.

Glad somebody on the hornets finally started hitting shots. Marco was a fantastic pickup for Wright. I don't know why Toronto didn't play him.

Also:

LMFAO!! As I was watching the game I said to myself, man, that guy looks like a young Sylvester

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Yeah, I agree, this Evans kid is a total bust. Much rather would have had Maynor, Rubio, Teague, or even Flynn over this idiot.

Yeah, I agree, this Evans kid is a total bust. Much rather would have had Maynor, Rubio, Teague, or even Flynn over this idiot.
Well, to be honest, Tyreke's recent play sure is grinding the ole dagger wound that we didn't get the #1 pick that year and get to select Blake Griffin....
:(

Why sure Griffin is helping the Clips off to a terrific start. All in the Kings World know Tyreke is playing hurt and wearing special shoes too. Good game last night holding the league leaders to a tight game down to the wire. BTW N.O. just beat LeBron and his Miami Heat 96 to 93!

Like I said, it's ok to criticize the guy because he has set the bar high for himself but it's obvious as hell he ain't as explosive as he was last year because of his ankle and plantar fasciitis problems. I haven't seen him do the europe step AT ALL this year which was how he was able to avoid all those charges he's getting now.

I think hes starting to find out that its best for him to play the 2 position.. which might take a while for him to adjust as hes been playing PG all his life. Thats my 2cents anyway.
Actually, he played SF in high school and never started a game as a PG until a ways into his one college season. I think he'd probably have a very easy time with changing his nominal position.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Actually, he played SF in high school and never started a game as a PG until a ways into his one college season. I think he'd probably have a very easy time with changing his nominal position.
I rather doubt that. When you get down to it he's probably never played SF, SG, PG or any poisiton except "guy with the ball". Any move where the idea is to change that trait is going to be an enormous one no matter what position tag you want to slap on it. Size aside its really not too much different from taking Rajon Rondo and moving him to SG and telling him to play off the ball. Wonderful player wiht the ball, but you tell him to stand around out there without the ball in his hands and he's going to have no idea what to do.

When you get down to it he's probably never played SF, SG, PG or any poisiton except "guy with the ball".
Agreed, hence my reference to "changing his nominal position." But on the great majority of teams, "guy with the ball" gets it passed to him.

Any move where the idea is to change that trait is going to be an enormous one no matter what position tag you want to slap on it. Size aside its really not too much different from taking Rajon Rondo and moving him to SG and telling him to play off the ball. Wonderful player wiht the ball, but you tell him to stand around out there without the ball in his hands and he's going to have no idea what to do.
Surely, during Tyreke's years of playing SF, someone else regularly brought the ball up the court.

Last edited: