[Game] Hornets @ Kings Game Thread 11-21-2010

piksi

Hall of Famer
Can not do the thread for the Jazz game
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kings FINALLY played someone bad enough to help us stop the early season 6 game losing streak. In a game that resembled high school basketball Kings managed to prevail and improve to 4-7 on the season and 2-5 at home even though November is by far the easiest month schedule wise. With tougher schedule coming up Kings can have their season run away from them. Right now it looks like another high draft pick and it shouldn't be.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What the hell is going on ? I missed few games and I can't figure out who is playing and why. We have no consistency in anything other than playing bad and losing. Lineups change like traffic lights, players have no clue what to expect - especially the young ones. Players like Garcia, Head and such with all due respect, will not be a part of any bright future that Kings are supposed to have. Why are they playing and losing I don't understand.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seeing Donte Green for the first time in the season I at least understand why he wasn't playing. the dude looks FAT. If you want to come to the camp overweight you better be Vlade Divac and have something else to offer other than athleticism. That is very unprofessional behavior for a young man that is trying to make it in this league.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kings shot selection is much worse than the lack of ball movement. Other than Beno Udrih, almost everyone else takes bad shots pretty much all the time. Also Landy takes decent shots. Garcia, Head, Dalambert, Evans, Casspi - just bad going to awful. Coaching staff is to blame too. What the hell are they doing in practice, in training camp in the meetings ? As a team, we can't make playoffs and have winning season. No one is asking for it. All we want is to be better than last season which was promising. Well, we aren't. We are way worse.
This new "policy" where defense will get you playing time is bogus and won't work. The team defense is awful regardless who is on the floor. Luther Head can't guard anyone either. Landry doesn't defend. Even Tyreke isn't working too hard on that end of the floor. You have to find the best mix overall. you have to pick 9 - 10 guys and set rotations and go with it for 10-15 games and reevaluate. Kings are trying everything to win instantly. It isn't going to happen.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coaching stuff is supposed to teach and "educate" young players about business of basketball. We aren't seeing any of that. Even Wolves seem to be doing better job. I don't see a pilot in the Kings plane. We don't have enough talent to win most of the nights but we have enough talent to play more exciting brand of basketball. What we play is boring. I fell asleep the other night. Last night I had to take an afternoon nap so i can stay awake to watch this garbage of basketball that we are playing.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sophomore seasons are always more difficult. Nothing is different in Tyreke's case. He is still trying to figure out effective adjustments that the opponents implemented in their game plans. He also need help from his teammates. He isn't getting much. He also doesn't seem to be completely healthy. His numbers are worse but that is not necessarily a bad thing. It might take some pressure off of him. He isn't good enough yet to carry a team by himself most of the nights. His jumper still sucks and there aren't any lanes because no one else is making any shots either.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Close game between two decent NBDL teams and Kings prevailed because they got few more critical rebounds. The game itself was poorly played. we stopped Lopez who killed us few weeks ago but there was Humphries to pick up the slack. Harris wasn't as effective as in the previous meeting. Playing like this - we won't win many more games.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AWARD TIME

TDM - Chris " god" Humphries

LW-VC - Devin " almost triple double" Harris

JHA - Cisco ' bad shot" Garcia

MIKKI - Samuel "should just stay in his own half" Dalambert

SAR- Q " social security" Ross

RA&1 - Jordan "dumbo" Farmer

Jax/Walk - Travis "fortunately missed some" Outlaw

WTF moment of the game - Cousins makes a good defensive play and then just watches Lopes put in the second effort and dunk the ball easily
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hornets are hot at the moment. They are very confident with a young coach who plays defense first and controled offense looking for low scoring games as they don't really run with the ball. They are much better rebounding the ball, better defensively and athletically. CP3 seems healthy. Kings need to play like a team for 48 minutes. They need to push the ball rebound well.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
match ups

Landry vs West - both undersized. It will be interesting

Okafor vs Dalambert - whos offense is ugglier ?

Battle of benches - their bench has been productive. We need to match that

Pedja vs SAR - Methuselah award - if he gets to play.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Evans - make a layup will you ?

Beno - decent

Omri - let him play coach

Landry - should have a good game

Dalambert - just pass the ball

Cousins - play to the whistle

Cisco - go away

Head - why

JT - confused

rest - mateen
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hornets 10-1 are a complete surprise for me. I still don't understand why they are this good. I didn't watch them much but what I watched it wasn't that impressive. Belinelli will get the TDM. LW-VC will go to Ariza. Kings will win this one.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
This is more than likely a loss. Hornets play good team defense and we struggle on offense as it is, so this should be another one of those low scoring games and it could go either way. A blowout or a loss between 3-5 points. Beware of Bellinelli's 3 point shooting, David West should be able to feast on Carl. Ariza can hit the occasional three. CP3 will get his, but if we can manage to contain West & Okafor then we might have a chance.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Kings: Just play like you did against NJ. With some teamwork, some passing, some D, getting into the shot clock early. If you play "the right way" I'll continue to support you, win or lose.

Tyreke: Don't press. You're playing the worst stretch of ball since you were drafted. But it's not like you're going to the unemployment line anytime soon. You don't have to go one on five. Just relax and start passing to your teamates, especially early in the shot clock and especially at the end of the game. Think of it as a group effort - they are there to help you. You may now take the next step and rely upon them. Although done in the most grudging manner, passing to Beno at the end of the NJ game was a nice first step.

Westphal: Don't mess with success. Whatever you said or did prior to the NJ game did the trick. Stick with it.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
This is of course probably a loss, but there is nothing really THAT intimidating about the New Orleans Hornets. When you think about it their starting lineup is structured pretty much like ours (Daly = Okafor, Landry = West, Greene = Ariza, Head = Bellinelli, CP3 = Reke), and we have a MUCH deeper bench. They are winning with smothering defense rather than overwhelming talent. Its one of those games where the records say we lose, but its almost one where if we looked behind the record, shook off the spell...we could play with this team.

This is of course probably a loss, but there is nothing really THAT intimidating about the New Orleans Hornets. When you think about it their starting lineup is structured pretty much like ours (Daly = Okafor, Landry = West, Greene = Ariza, Head = Bellinelli, CP3 = Reke), and we have a MUCH deeper bench. They are winning with smothering defense rather than overwhelming talent. Its one of those games where the records say we lose, but its almost one where if we looked behind the record, shook off the spell...we could play with this team.
I kind of agree with you here, except at this point, CP3 is far superior to Reke which cancels out pretty much any of the other evenness.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I kind of agree with you here, except at this point, CP3 is far superior to Reke which cancels out pretty much any of the other evenness.
Reke gave CP3 fits last season so we'll see what happens. The addition of Ariza will probably be key in letting the Hornets avoid that matchup, but our new lineup does pose probelms for them. If they do this:

Ariza takes Reke
CP3 takes Head
Bellinelli takes Donte??

Or its:
CP3 takes Reke?
Bellinelli takes Head
Ariza takes Donte

We're going to have a huge size/strength advantage somewhere, I just hope the braincells are firing enoguh for us to recognize it.

This team needs to learn how to play together. Until then, looking at individual matchups and trying to see where we have an advantage is useless.

We are playing against the best team so far in this season. Bigger motivation is not needed for this one. I hope we win and start a series of victories.. it's about time.

Wow this is like a pre-season game the way people are shooting.

and i hate it when players shout "AND ONE" every time they go to the rim... even when they miss.