[Grades] Grades v Clippers 11/2/2014

Anyway care to revise their season predictions at this point?

• Nope -- I always thought they'd be a playoff team.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Nope, they're better, but 38-40 is still about their top.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • Nope, something will happen, it always does, and we'll still suck.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Yep, I am starting to think its possible.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Yep, in fact how many wins do you think it will take to get homecourt?

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Yep, but only if we get a third weapon to complete this.

Votes: 13 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is Kevin Martin available? He would just fit in so perfectly for us right now. It's clear or weakness is SG. JT has been doing what we need from the PF position sans shot blocking. If we could just get a competent NBA SG that can hit an open jumper, play team ball, play solid defense, we could be onto something. McLemore has been competent on defense but he can't hit an open jumper.
I struggle with the kmart idea. A good scorer and outside threat on a reasonable deal. But he's awful defensively, not a great passer, not that durable and not getting any younger. Depending on what we had to give up for him it would be worth a look but I don't know that it would help our ball movement and it would hurt defensively.

Btw VF21 - it's a shame you couldn't get the Clippers broadcast (from reading your comments in the game thread). The Clippers one was pretty solid, very fair, full of praise for the Kings and Cousins, and they even had Cousins as their player of the game midway through the 4th.

i'd be worried about throwing Stauskas into the fire and asking him to guard NBA starting SG's every night. But other than that i think if he can at least hit the open 3s that Boogie/Rudy create, he would be a more valuable starter than Ben
Nik isn't better than Ben right now. Ben over Nik best for the team and Nik's career. No need to rush things yet.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Btw VF21 - it's a shame you couldn't get the Clippers broadcast (from reading your comments in the game thread). The Clippers one was pretty solid, very fair, full of praise for the Kings and Cousins, and they even had Cousins as their player of the game midway through the 4th.
I always get irritated with Grant but today for some reason he got on my last nerve really early on.

From watching the DMC highlight video it does seem like the Clippers broadcasters were pretty complementary towards Cousins

Is there any realistic solid SG's out there available in a trade?
  1. Courtney Lee
  2. OJ Mayo
  3. Ben Gordon
  4. Randy Foye
  5. Garrett Temple
  6. Austin Rivers
  7. Eric Gordon
  8. Gerald Henderson
  9. Jared Dudley
I stressed about OJ Mayo when a lot were suggesting K-Mart and he's played GREAT for the Bucks this season.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
  1. Courtney Lee
  2. OJ Mayo
  3. Ben Gordon
  4. Randy Foye
  5. Garrett Temple
  6. Austin Rivers
  7. Eric Gordon
  8. Gerald Henderson
  9. Jared Dudley
I stressed about OJ Mayo when a lot were suggesting K-Mart and he's played GREAT for the Bucks this season.
Cournety Lee isn't available. That's a playoff team's starting SG. Half of the others aren't worth trading for. But of course that's why they might be available.

Really like when Collison is out there. He really gets the offense set up and brings stability to the team. When the wheels were coming off in the fourth he came in and smoothed everything out. Sessions looks horrific so far but he may just be in a funk.

K

KingMilz

Cournety Lee isn't available. That's a playoff team's starting SG. Half of the others aren't worth trading for. But of course that's why they might be available.
CJ Miles out in Indiana they might want young assets or maybe Derrick Williams for CJ , if Indy goes into full tank mode.

I struggle with the kmart idea. A good scorer and outside threat on a reasonable deal. But he's awful defensively, not a great passer, not that durable and not getting any younger. Depending on what we had to give up for him it would be worth a look but I don't know that it would help our ball movement and it would hurt defensively.
Me too.

We have all starter guys buying in to giving their all out effort in defense. However poor McLemore is on defense, at least you can see him really trying and giving his best defending. The same can never be said about Martin who has regularly avoided physical contact in defense. Martin is just too soft like soggy waffles in defense. And he might be contagious too!

No! Please! Not Martin. Let us not add a bad apple to the starting line-up just for the sake of offense. Not now when every starter we have is willing to physically/roughly defend.

Did we forget already the reasons why IT was kicked-out of this team?

ALL offense, liability in defense, no ball movement.

Me too.

We have all starter guys buying in to giving their all out effort in defense. However poor McLemore is on defense, at least you can see him really trying and giving his best defending. The same can never be said about Martin who has regularly avoided physical contact in defense. Martin is just too soft like soggy waffles in defense. And he might be contagious too!

No! Please! Not Martin. Let us not add a bad apple to the starting line-up. Not now that every starter we have is willing to physically/roughly defend.

Did we forget already the reasons why IT was kicked-out of this team?

ALL offense, liability in defense, no ball movement.
The big miss, if there was one, was not figuring out a way to get Afflalo when he was available

Hats off to Jason Thompson and Daren Collison this game. While their numbers might not look spectacular, their defense was reaching top notch levels.

Thompson just absolutely hounded Griffin from his first shot to his last. JT is starting to enter Chuck Hayes territory as far as his defensive level when a man has his back to him and is posting him up. He rarely gives any ground in post up situations and he showed great recovery on this game against a much more athletic Griffin and had 2 solid blocks. He turned Griffin into a liability for the Clippers. I'm pretty curious to know if JT's defense is effective against Cousins in practice during 1 on 1 post moves.

Collison also played masterful defense on Paul. Wasn't as shut down as Thompson was but Paul is 10x craftier than Griffin is. The majority of Paul's buckets were of the "that's why he's one of the best players in the league" variety. Paul made a couple of insanely good post moves and Collison was right there with him both times. Obviously helps when you can go up against him in practice but either way he stuck to Paul like glue. You'd never notice it from Paul's box score stats but a lesser defender gives up 25pts and 15ast against Paul this game.

Landry scored some very important points for us again. His numbers don't look that great but he was defending a much larger man in Hawes, so rebounds were tough to come by for the undersized PF.

Casspi with another one of his half hustle, half crafty games. I really like his drive in the lane and kick out move. Even if he doesn't kick the ball out for an assist, he collapses the defense and gives our offense a chance to score on defenders who are now out of position.

Also, Stauskas with 3 blocks??? o_O

Lee would be available for the right pieces.
Foye is the only one on that list that is probably available and is worth a damn.
Ouch. All of those players are capable scorers who could immediately contribute to our team. Except maybe Austin Rivers..

I knew there would be the 'OH MY GOD DC SAVED US FROM PG DEFENSIVE SUCKY PERSON IT", but what we've seen is far more than just an improvement in PG defense.

It's been a team starting to buy into a system and work as 5 guys on the court. They're actually PLAYING with each other on the defensive side of the ball and working as a unit. Working as a unit and buying into rotations and understanding defensive rotations far outplays defensive talent on team, although that helps tremendously. DC has helped certainly and been an upgrade defensively over IT, but our early success is much deeper than that.
Of course it is. But there is zero chance we'd be having the defensive success we're having now if IT was still on the team. ZERO.

I'm really loving Collison, seems like a guy that has been training his career for this moment and finally he gets rewarded in being able to run his own team and is not dissapointing. Now if only Sessions could wake up so DC isn't playing 40 minutes every night, or at some point you have to start thinking about putting Ray Mac in.

Good call with the JT rating. Sure the box scores screams terrible. But he has played great defense here recently, at least with his man, been battling for boards, the little things. I'd be happy if we convert JT into some sort of steroid version of Rambis but capable of defending both the 4 and 5. That's fine with me.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
  1. Courtney Lee
  2. OJ Mayo
  3. Ben Gordon
  4. Randy Foye
  5. Garrett Temple
  6. Austin Rivers
  7. Eric Gordon
  8. Gerald Henderson
  9. Jared Dudley
Eric Gordon? People around here want to get rid of McLemore for pennies on the dollar, and you want to replace him with Eric Gordon? Sure, let's sign a player who's less effective than McLemore, and costs five times as much; that sounds like a great idea!

Even Garrett Temple? Seriously?
Yes. It's only been 3 games in, but he's made a huge impact on the Wizards. 34mins 12pts 3rebs 1.7stls on .48% fg and .462% 3pt.(6-13). He's in place for Beal.

Eric Gordon? People around here want to get rid of McLemore for pennies on the dollar, and you want to replace him with Eric Gordon? Sure, let's sign a player who's less effective than McLemore, and costs five times as much; that sounds like a great idea!
Well they are the list of players available :D. I'd personally never want Eric Gordon anywhere near this time unless the Pelicans were crazy enough to give us Ryan Anderson.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
So, when are we going to see a return of the Consortium? Or will we? Not that I don't appreciate your hard work, Brick, but there's definitely no escaping your biases when it comes to your grades.