[Grades] Grades v Clippers 11/2/2014

Anyway care to revise their season predictions at this point?

• Nope -- I always thought they'd be a playoff team.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Nope, they're better, but 38-40 is still about their top.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • Nope, something will happen, it always does, and we'll still suck.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Yep, I am starting to think its possible.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Yep, in fact how many wins do you think it will take to get homecourt?

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Yep, but only if we get a third weapon to complete this.

Votes: 13 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's going to be hard to win consistently when your SGs and only real outside threats (at least on paper) are giving you six points and clanking threes. Nik and/or Ben have to stretch the floor for the offense to progress. But both have been better than expected defensively.

I came to give JT a shout out and am pleased to see somebody beat me to it. He can (and probably should) give the team more on offense but his rebounding and defense have been huge.

Malone still has a ways to go with the offense but kudos for a huge change in Kings defense. Way to go coach.

I'll admit, through three games this team is looking better than I expected. Hopefully it continues against Denver.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Awesome game.

...Other than that, what a win. Very glad that the refs didn't fall for CP3's atrocious flop toward the end. That pissed me off. You have to resort to flopping because you can't do win legit? That's why I hate the clips. Bunch of divas too...
The Clippers tried the flop offense all night and to the best of my recollection were rewarded solely with shrugs and blank stares. I hope this is because the officials have been told to quit buying into the bad acting.

We really do need to start getting some solid offensive contributions from the "other guys", especially the SG position.

As great as Rudy and DMC are, we can't be relying on them to put up numbers every single game like they have the last 2 games just to give us a chance to win
However, if the Kings keep winning maybe the SG position is just fine. I do agree that expecting Gay/Cuz scoring to carry the load on an ongoing basis is unreasonable.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
For those of you calling for a third weapon...maybe Smith can be had now? since he isn't fitting in Detroit, still. Or are we looking at more of a shooter for that third banana role...

We really do need to start getting some solid offensive contributions from the "other guys", especially the SG position.

As great as Rudy and DMC are, we can't be relying on them to put up numbers every single game like they have the last 2 games just to give us a chance to win
Any outside shooting at all would be nice. Everyone is allergic to making 3's except for Stauskas.

What makes it exciting is half the team you can see doing better on O, so even a slight regression on D leaves a competitive product. Could be a sum greater than its parts deal, which is the opposite of the last few years.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Over in another thread I had 3 goals for todays game:
Cuz to get 5+ assists, no silly fouls, and bench score 35+ pts. Of course to win as well.

Cuz had 5 ast and no silly fouls, Kings won but the bench, only 18 pts and Landry/Casspi had most of those (13) and it is they who will obviously lead the benchmob. But Sessions not contributing, Nik is trying and will come along, DWill just not contributing either end and Reggie, such an offensive liability I'm wondering if his defense is offsetting that enough!!?? We gotta start seeing Ray soon and Moreland sure would help both ends, wouldn't he?

Sessions needs to hit the bench soon if he can't prove to be useful at all in the next couple games. With Ray at least we know we will get a guy who can really compete on defense, and more importantly, value the ball!

We don't need a long-term solution; we just need someone to hold it down long enough for one of our two SG's to figure it out.
I honestly think Nik is on the verge right now.

If someone was available that was clearly better, and going ot be better for the foreseeable future, then yes, I might consider someone like Korver. But I don't think, when you compare the overall game of Korver and Stauskas, that Korver is going to be appreciably better for any length of time.

Also, I'd give Nik at least 25 games to see if he can step it up when the opportunity is there.

Over in another thread I had 3 goals for todays game:
Cuz to get 5+ assists, no silly fouls, and bench score 35+ pts. Of course to win as well.

Cuz had 5 ast and no silly fouls, Kings won but the bench, only 18 pts and Landry/Casspi had most of those (13) and it is they who will obviously lead the benchmob. But Sessions not contributing, Nik is trying and will come along, DWill just not contributing either end and Reggie, such an offensive liability I'm wondering if his defense is offsetting that enough!!?? We gotta start seeing Ray soon and Moreland sure would help both ends, wouldn't he?
Sessions cant afford to stink it up much longer or Ray will surely replace him. As for Moreland, I have to think he is trade insurance. Theoretically his style of play replaces Reggie's pretty well and with the added benefit of shot blocking.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Over at SB Nation-Clippers, the following comment was more than interesting as to Clips game attitude:

"Griffin's shot was off all game as he finished with only 17 points, going a putrid 6-20 from the field. Griffin also seemed to be taken out of the game from the lack of calls from the officials, an aspect of his game that was supposed to be alleviated by Doc's arrival."

That plainly pis.....d me off!!! :mad:

Over at SB Nation-Clippers, the following comment was more than interesting as to Clips game attitude:

"Griffin's shot was off all game as he finished with only 17 points, going a putrid 6-20 from the field. Griffin also seemed to be taken out of the game from the lack of calls from the officials, an aspect of his game that was supposed to be alleviated by Doc's arrival."

Lol they think they're special.

Griffin's poor showing was by our coaches design. All that talk about Griffin having added a jumpshot was false from the beginning. His shot has the arc of a laser beam and his free throws lok like Houston Rockets era Chuck Hayes. I may get banned for saying this but Blake Griffin is way overrated. 3rd in MVP voting? I lost alot of respect for the MVP voting process.