Desert Island Music Album Draft 2013 - draft complete

Should we extend the draft to 25 picks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Just As I Am - Bill Withers (1971)

Several years ago I happened across a random interview with Justin Timberlake in which he said every modern American male pop star was trying to mimic the great Bill Withers. I found this especially surprising because at the time I had no idea who Bill Withers was. At least, I didn't know him by name. I knew Ain't No Sunshine and several of his other monstrous hits word for word. I simply didn't know they were all by the same person nor that his name was Bill Withers.

I won't pretend to have a long history with this album. Even after learning who he was and his impressive list of hit songs, I simply said to myself, "huh, that's cool." and moved on. It wasn't until the draft was expanded that I started to search the deeper parts of my memory in a panic to find some more worthy albums to pad out my roster.

And I'm rather confident Bill's work here will do nicely. The album is packed from top to bottom with deeply emotional and personal ballads without sacrificing the cool R&B that makes them equally fun to listen to. This album is the only time I can ever recall being enthralled by a guy singing about his Grandma. Also standing out are the previously mentioned mega-hit Ain't No Sunshine and its original A-side track (believe it or not) Harlem, a beautifully somber and surprisingly powerful Hope She'll Be Happier and even a nice cover of the Beatles' Let It Be.

Because I've listened to the album itself so few times, I'm considering it a bit of a sleeper pick. But even if it ends up being just a change of pace album from my regular rotation, I think it's a pretty powerful player to call in off the bench.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_as_I_Am_(Bill_Withers_album)

Last edited by a moderator:
Weezer - Pinkerton(1996) (Wiki link)

I’ve let this album slide for a long time, and I’m not quite sure why. Apparently the real music critics gave it a lot of flak when it first came out, which surprised me considering I thought it was basically an instant classic - and (with all apologies to their already-taken debut album) the record that convinced me that these guys had something special going on. Perhaps it was the overly-confessional nature of the lyrics that turned people off, but that’s exactly what drew me in: “At ten I shaved my head and tried to be a monk/I thought the older women would like it if I did/You see, Ma, I’m a good little boy/It’s all your fault, Mama, it’s all your fault”

The acoustic “Butterfly” is one of the great album closers, a painful and apologetic coda to the excesses of the preceding 30 minutes.

(Link to “El Scorcho”)

(Link to “Across the Sea”)

(Link to “Butterfly”)
Fantastic pick... was on my list and was going soon.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Round 22, pick 6

With the three hundred forty-second pick of the draft, Mr. Slim Citrus selects:

Jamiroquai, Synkronized (1999)

Another album I like with, much to my regret, nothing much for me to say about it... It was Jamiroquai's fourth studio album, and only their third-most successful album overall, but their second-most successful album in the United States. In fact, it was arguably their most successful album in the US (despite the fact that their previous release had gone platinum), when you consider that Synkronized had two different singles reach Number One on the US Dance charts (Canned Heat and Supersonic), and the one album which did go platinum in the States didn't even have a single to hit the Top Five.

Synkronized has been described as Jamiroquai's last album before they changed their sound. Having listened to their full discography, I have to say that I, personally, like their new sound better, and this album fits in with it much more so than their previous works (cite: Wikipedia).

Top Three non-singles tracks:
  1. Where Do We Go from Here?
  2. Soul Education
  3. Planet Home

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Okay, been holding this one in my pocket for a while assuming it would not go, but as I keep on disqualifying other potential picks, time to just throw this out there:

Yes I Am - Melissa Etheridge - 1993

Somehow I have been coming up short of both roots rockers and female artists on my list. That is not typical of my musical collection. In a lot of ways here I get both with one of my preferred raspy voiced female rockers turning out a very strong top to bottom album. The hits were big, but when relistening to it it was again the depth of the album which convinced me. People will always remember her belting out I'm The Only One, but beyond that whether uptempo or down, there's barely a miss on the whole album.

Silent Legacy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm8KxNAIStM
I Will Never Be The Same: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgNPMV-w5J4

with the eighth pick in the twenty-second round of the 2013 Desert Island Music Draft, i select...

Aesop Rock - Skelethon (07/10/12):

Wiki

01 Leisureforce (feat. Allyson Baker & Hanni El Khatib)
02 ZZZ Top (feat. Allyson Baker)
03 Cycles to Gehenna
04 Zero Dark Thirty (feat. Rob Sonic)
05 Fryerstarter
06 Ruby '81
07 Crows 1 (feat. Kimya Dawson)
08 Crows 2 (feat. Rob Sonic)
09 Racing Stripes (feat. Kimya Dawson)
10 1,000 O'Clock
11 Homemade Mummy (feat. Rob Sonic)
12 Grace (feat. Hanni El Khatib)
13 Saturn Missiles
14 Tetra
15 Gopher Guts

Genre: alternative hip hop

my aunt judith is dying of brain cancer. i grew up visiting her on the oregon coastline, where she lived happily with her husband, sherman. i fell in love with the pacific northwest on those trips. i also fell in love with music, as sherman would teach my brother and i how to play "chopsticks" on the piano. sherman passed three years ago, and my aunt relocated to northern CA for work. this also brought her closer to much of her family, and it's only in these last few years that i've really gotten to know her...

she's an intellectual at her core, smart as a whip, and proud as could be of me and my wife, who Judith has come to adore. she completed a master's later in life. she's a thoughtful, graceful, and articulate woman. but her cancer has robbed her of her voice, of her opportunity to say goodbye to her family. she no longer has a functioning ability to communicate, and i can think of nothing more undignifying for an individual with her capacity. doctors have given her less than two weeks to live. my heart ACHES, and i'm struggling to contextualize the loss that is coming...

that said, i turn to music in times of pain. Aesop Rock's Skelethon is providing me with some measure of comfort this afternoon. it is an album consumed with death, attempting to mine catharsis from a wide variety of subject matters and source materials. it's a stunning work, the high-mark of Aesop Rock's career thus far. here is the review of Skelethon that i wrote last year, if you're interested:

Aesop Rock's Skelethon shows us how hip hop might mutate in the face of personal upheaval. Ian Bavitz, better known to his fans as Aesop Rock, has been bending minds with his twisty, verbose, associative style of hip hop for over a decade. And while that style is wholly unique and distinctive, the substance of his work is not short on impact, either. Skelethon was recorded in the aftermath of a series of deaths in the life of its composer, and it is felt from every corner of the album, from the lyrical content to the cavernous urgency of its production. Lead-off track "Leisureforce" tackles the notion of dealing with death in a way that only Aes Rock can: "Final answer: 'Not to be.' / Not to be is right! Next question: to build winged shoes or autophagy / silk-screen band tees, take apart a VCR, ringer off, canned peas, cabin fever mi amor / patently adhering to the chandelier at key-in-door / to usher in the understated anarchy of Leisurforce." Sometimes life amounts to one big distraction, as we try to escape the rather uncomfortable realities that surround us.

Second track "ZZZ Top" manages to lighten the proceedings a bit, as Aes crafts one of the most structurally-compelling tracks of his career, each verse dedicated to a young person discovering an artist of influence in their life. The first "artfully carve[d] 'Zoso' in this desk," a reference to Led Zeppelin. The second "magic-marker[ed] 'Zulu' on these Chucks," a reference to Afrika Bambaataa's Zulu Nation. The third "publicize[d] 'Zeros' in this stall," a reference to punk rock band The Zeros. It's a fascinating study in how our musical obsessions shape us as we grow up. The respite is brief, though, as album highlight "Cycles to Gehenna" returns us to the subject of death. Featuring a forceful bassline and an ominous keyboard line, Aes builds a highway metaphor of sorts for bearing down during moments of tragedy: "corners like a two-tired tiger so a too-tired rider / can accumulate a few excited fibers to assign / knows no zen in the art of maintenance / only as the orchestrated patron saint of changing lanes / baby, here is how a great escape goes / when you can't take your dead friends' names out your phone." It is one of the most lyrically-dense songs on Skelethon. I'm still dizzying myself at each line, attempting to divine meaning from Aes' web of images. He is a challenging artist, to be sure, and the listener must find appreciation in the journey through his lyrics, rather than in the inevitability of an answer. As in life, the answers don’t always come.

"Zero Dark Thirty" offers the listener another break from the heaviness of death, instead opting to take on the difficulties of attempting to accomplish something worthwhile in a life always speeding by. It's a classic fast-paced Aes Rock number that recalls the hooky delivery of career-standout "None Shall Pass." Aes admits, "compass all bats*** spinning in the shadows of immoral magnets / are we supporting the artist or enabling the addict? / I mean, I guess it matters to me, I wish it mattered to you." The culture of now is not necessarily kind to artists of Aesop Rock's persuasion, and "Zero Dark Thirty" reads like a coping mechanism for those realities. In that way, it's not so dissimilar from the Skelethon tracks that deal more closely with the subject of death. It's something like a mourning of the loss of one's place, of one's identity during the most turbulent of moments.

Set to jangling keys and a laserbeam percussive element, "Fryerstarter" is a unique narrative piece about San Francisco hotspot Bob's Donuts. But it would not be a worthy subject for an Aes Rock song if he didn't do something mightily strange with it. Aes then treats a visit to Bob's a bit like a religious experience: "Yum, whether tummy ache or fever / keep the funnel cake, I'm honey glaze in vitro / in the company of similar believers / sleepless, who hear the walls breathe and foam at the facial features, now the yeast / a phoenix in the partially-hydrogenated, equal parts flour, faith, healing / might replace your previously-nominated Jesus." Again, though "Fryerstarter" does not explicitly deal with the subject of death, one gets the sense that Bob's Donuts actually represents something liberating for Mr. Ian Bavitz, like just maybe salvation can be found in your favorite donut shop. "Ruby '81" follows, and it's one of Skelethon's true gems. Entirely drumless and constructed around a simple, droning synthesizer, Aes tells the story of a young girl neglected by her family at a Fourth of July party, who falls into the pool and, unable to swim, is eventually rescued by Ruby, the family dog. It is so surprisingly stunning in its brevity, and it's hard to think of another song like it, either in Aesop Rock's back catalog or anyone else's.

Songs like "Grace" and "Saturn Missiles" each attempt to mine the difficulties of childhood and adolescence for some clarity. The former lurches forward with a wonderfully snotty attitude, and the latter moves with a propulsive earnestness fitting of its title. But it is the album's final track, "Gopher Guts," that really manages to stretch Aesop Rock out of his comfort zone. It begins with minimally-programmed drums and a foreboding low-end. The spare production on display is some of the most accomplished of Aes' career thus far, but it is in the lyrical content of "Gopher Guts" where Aesop Rock introduces us to Ian Bavitz. In the final verse, he comes clean: "I have been completely unable to maintain any semblance of relationship on any level / I have been a bastard to the people who have actively attempted to deliver me from peril / I have been acutely undeserving of the ear that listen up and lip that kiss me on the temple / I have been accustomed to a stubborn disposition that admits it wish its history disassembled." It is a bold artistic move for a man who has spent much of his career obscuring meaning from his listeners. Often, the artist finds it necessary to dress harsh reality up in metaphor as a coping mechanism. Here Ian Bavitz has accomplished the opposite; he has shed the shielding of his gift for language to directly address his own shortcomings, and he does so with a blunt force that I find tremendously empowering. The album closes on the percussive repetition of the word "on," as if Aesop Rock is willing himself forward. And I am quite certain that his listeners will follow.

For my next selection I am proving that if a photo was taken of the entire group of people drafting in this draft, I would be hte one with the black shades on... I select:

The Ventures - Play the Batman Theme - 1966

untitled.jpg

What can I say? This is the coolest concept album of all time and the coolest instrumental rock album of all time... it is by the Ventures (aka The Band That Launched a Thousand Bands), who are best instrumental rock group of all time, by a lot. Best concept album you ask? It is superhero theme songs done Ventures-style... meaning done right, done better than the originals... I got this album from my parents (it was theirs) and still have the vinyl after all these years (and it still rocks everytime I spin it). Just a fantastic album.

They did a song called "Up, Up and Away" which is like the spaghetti western/superhero hero song ever... It's just fun to hear.

I need a bit of comedy on my island, and this album also blends a rock/punk attitude with slapstick fare in a very enjoyable, and sustainably great way. Plus, it doesn't hurt to have the greatest song in the world on the album. With my 22nd selection, I choose:

Tenacious D - Tenacious D - 2001

Track List:

1. Kielbasa - 3:00
2. One Note Song - 1:23
3. Tribute - 4:08
4. Wonderboy - 4:06
5. Hard $#%^ing - 0:35
6. #$%^ Her Gently - 2:03
7. Explosivo - 1:55
8. Dio - 1:41
9. Inward Singing - 2:13
10. Kyle Quit the Band - 1:29
11. The Road - 2:18
12. roster Pushups - 0:48
13. Lee - 1:02
14. Friendship Test - 1:30
15. Friendship - 1:59
16. Karate Schnitzel - 0:36
17. Karate - 1:05
18. Rock Your Socks - 3:32
19. Drive-Thru - 3:00
20. Double Team - 3:10
21. Medley: City Hall/I Believe/Malibu Nights - 9:02

More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenacious_D_(album)

As we near the end of the road here, i wanted to pick this up. This group was not a one hit wonder, but more of a one album wonder. I wish their follow up albums had kept it going but they all fell a little flat in relation to the original.

Hootie and the Blowfish - Cracked Rear View

220px-Hootie_&_the_Blowfish_-_Cracked_Rear_View.jpg

And in case you forgot how good they were

Wiki

While reviewing my list, I found that i'm missing one genre that had a big influence on me during my growing up years: Grunge. Some of the best grunge bands/album had been taken very early on, so i'm glad/surprised that this album is still available at this stage of the draft. Superunknown(drafted by Slim) might be the bands most successful album, but this album open the doors for them and helped establish them as one of the top Grunge bands in that era.

Badmotorfinger - Soundgarden(1991)

WIKI

Soundgarden_-_Badmotorfinger.jpg

Hey.

Rewind that. Christian Scott. 2006.

image.jpg

I dig it.

Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Scott

[video]http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=christian%20scott%20rewind%20that&source=video&cd=1&ved=0CDYQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D7kt VxxIxdx8&ei=HuIPUqWrJqSViAfFg4HADg&usg=AFQjCNG1E1yjVuN1nQqAwaIwDeemajeipg&bvm=bv.50768961,d.aGc[/video]

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Since UK kings fan is already two picks behind, I'm going to presume he's no longer active until I hear differently. For that reason, I'm not going to hold up the draft for 24 hours. I'll be posting my pick shortly.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sooner or later, it's gonna be Christmas time on the island and I'm going to want to listen to some Christmas songs. Choosing this album solved two problems for me - it gave me some beautiful Christmas music to listen to and it allowed me to have Whitney Houston without having to pick from her other albums. So, with my pick for the 22nd round I select:

One Wish: The Holiday Album - Whitney Houston - 2003

Whitney's voice gives me chills and none more than this song:

1. "The First Noël" Traditional Troy Taylor 3:14
2. "The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire)" Mel Tormé, Robert Wells Troy Taylor 3:12
3. "Little Drummer Boy" (featuring Bobbi Kristina Brown) Katherine Davis, Henry Onorati, Harry Simeone Mervyn Warren 4:29
4. "One Wish (For Christmas)" Gordon Chambers, Barry Eastmond, Freddie Jackson Gordon Chambers, Barry Eastmond 4:12
5. "Cantique de Nöel (O Holy Night)" Traditional Mervyn Warren 3:48
6. "I'll Be Home for Christmas" Kim Gannon, Walter Kent, Buck Ram Mervyn Warren 3:45
7. "Deck the Halls/Silent Night" Traditional Mervyn Warren 4:29
8. "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" Ralph Blane, Hugh Martin Mervyn Warren 4:49
9. "O come, O come, Emmanuel" Traditional Mervyn Warren 3:06
10. "Who Would Imagine a King" (featuring The Nativity Choir) Mervyn Warren, Hallerin Hilton Hill Mervyn Warren, Whitney Houston 3:30
11. "Joy to the World" (with The Georgia Mass Choir)

Link to O Come, O Come Emmanuel

Sorry for the hold up. Long day. For the sake of having to be up in 5 hours and keeping things moving....

Wyclef+Jean+Presents+The+Carnival+Featuring+Refuge.jpg

Last pick of Round 22: Wyclef Jean - The Carnival More..

220px-Yourself.jpg

First pick of Round 23: Matchbox Twenty - Yourself or Someone Like You More..

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The great joy of my life, besides the Kings of course, are my granddaughters. When I got them this album a couple of years ago, I burned a copy to my computer. Much to my surprise, I find myself playing several of the songs on a regular basis. This pick, therefore, is in honor of the Little Princesses.

Snacktime! - Barenaked Ladies - 2008

Bricklayer

Tame Impala? Big in Australia right now?

At the end of this draft you have to give us a story of where/how you were exposed to all these bands Turgenev. I feel out of my depth.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

At the end of this draft you have to give us a story of where/how you were exposed to all these bands Turgenev. I feel out of my depth.
Turgenev is in Australia, Brickie. When he said heading to work, he means Monday morning. ;)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I enjoy The Carnival... a little bit of pancake, though. My favorite track on there is Year of the Dragon.

Speaking of which, I went back to my last two picks and edited in my three favorite non-singles tracks (no embedded videos, but I did offer links to the tracks listed). Since I didn't have really anything to say about them, I figured by listing my favorite songs that wouldn't have ever gotten airplay, it might better inform the reader as to what, in particular, appeals to me about the albums.

As the draft winds down, i think it's time to pick some low hanging fruit. This album has been in my radar for quite a few rounds now, and i'm surprised that nobody has picked it, so I think I would have to do the pleasure of doing that as it would be a damn shame to keep this hanging out there. Billy Joel was at his absolute best when he released this album, and some of the songs in this album are my favorite of his.

The Stranger - Billy Joel (1977)

WIKI

Thestranger1977.jpg

Bricklayer

As the draft winds down, i think it's time to pick some low hanging fruit. This album has been in my radar for quite a few rounds now, and i'm surprised that nobody has picked it, so I think I would have to do the pleasure of doing that as it would be a damn shame to keep this hanging out there. Billy Joel was at his absolute best when he released this album, and some of the songs in this album are my favorite of his.

The Stranger - Billy Joel (1977)

WIKI

View attachment 4653

Probably just the Billy Joel stigma.

Have always loved She's Always a Woman.

I grew up listening to my mothers music and then got into rap as a teenager. Mostly Solesides and native tongues. Then it just grew from there. I completed a masters degree in the UK so was exposed to a few english groups eg my earlier picks. As some others have eluded to in past posts- I have had moments of leaning on music when other areas of life have been less kind.

I don't know that my music knowledge extends much further than what I have selected. Many albums that others have selected that I know nothing of...

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I grew up listening to my mothers music and then got into rap as a teenager. Mostly Solesides and native tongues. Then it just grew from there. I completed a masters degree in the UK so was exposed to a few english groups eg my earlier picks. As some others have eluded to in past posts- I have had moments of leaning on music when other areas of life have been less kind.

I don't know that my music knowledge extends much further than what I have selected. Many albums that others have selected that I know nothing of...
I've found these things can be good for that. Well, certainly good for broadening your musical knowledge, if not necessarily your musical tastes. When I participated in the first album draft, five years ago, every single participant had at least two artists on their lists whom I'd never heard of, as of 2008, except for my own. Prophetess was the leader in the clubhouse, with a full half of her list (10 out of 20) being from artists I'd never heard of, and pdxKingsfan, at one point, picked six straight albums from artists I'd never heard of.

This time around, a full six participants have lists where I've heard of every artist (Endgame, Jespher, NoBonus, Bricklayer, Löwenherz and Kingsgirl4), which is not to say that I like all of their selections, just that I've heard of them, which is a significant change from the last time I participated in one of these. What amuses me is that GoGoGadget, who is one of the three (along with Brick and myself) who participated in the first draft, had albums from six artists I'd never heard of, the first time around. This time around, by making a conscious effort to not take any albums that were drafted by anyone in the previous draft, she's only managed to take albums from three artists I'd never heard of.

Interestingly enough, the only participant in this draft who has more than four artists I'd never heard of is... uhm... you. In fact, fifteen of your twenty-three picks to date are from artists I'd never heard of, coming into the draft.

Bricklayer

This time around, a full six participants have lists where I've heard of every artist (Endgame, Jespher, NoBonus, Bricklayer, Löwenherz and Kingsgirl4), which is not to say that I like all of their selections, just that I've heard of them,
Dang! Thought I'd maybe thrown you off the scent with my AC/DC pick.

That's ok, I'll get you with my The Flatulent Cucumbers pick next round.

For my 23rd Selection i wanted to take a mixture of two things i love, Rock and Rap, and no, unfortunately for this tread, it is not the new Bizkit. Two HEAVYWEIGHTS in their own genre got together in 2004 and did something no one had ever done before. They worked together, took their songs and with a little mix board magic, made an unbelievable album. Only wish it had a couple more song.

Jay-Z / Linkin Park - Collision Course

untitled.jpg

I have attached a video of the actual making of, hope it doesnt take too much space

Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.