Should we extend the draft to 25 picks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to get back to the sixties.

The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle (1968)

wiki

Psychedelic pop excellence, twelve tracks that you'll struggle to get out of your head after the first listen. I like this better than the Beach Boys and it's right up there with the best Beatles records when I'm in the mood for some 60s catchy tunes.
As you may have noticed I like my music raw and/or minimal, if an album as baroque and over-layered as this one strikes me enough to include it in a desert island draft you better believe it's truly special.

Brilliant choice!!! Love the Zombies! Talk about 60's cool.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Round 24, Pick 6

With the three hundred seventy-fourth pick of the draft, Mr. Slim Citrus selects:

Solo, Solo (1995)

Solo was the eponymous debut album of the R&B quartet Solo. Although they still perform, they only released two albums, and this was, by far, the most successful, selling just over 700,000 copies, and being certified gold. The album peaked at Number Fifty-Two on the Billboard Top 200, although it did reach Number Eight on the R&B charts. The album had two singles, "Heaven" and "Where Do U Want Me To Put It."

What I enjoy about the album is the way they blend the whole "New Jack Swing" of the nineties with a tribute to the legends of the sixties, particularly Sam Cooke and The Drifters. The only thing I didn't really like is how, with the exception of their cover of "A Change is Gonna Come," they didn't give you full versions of any of the classics. I don't know how much I'd pay to hear Solo sing the full version of "Under the Boardwalk."

(cite: Allmusic).

Top Three favorite non-singles (may not be available via mobile):

1. Holding on. I love this song. It's simultaneously a tribute to the Four Tops and an example of the best R&B of the nineties.
  2. A Change is Gonna Come. Their cover of the Sam Cooke classic. Sadly, the only full version of a classic they recorded for this album.
  3. Under the Boardwalk. It's only a minute of the original, sadly.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Alright, time to add some balls to my island. Ironically via means of a member of the fairer sex:

Bad Reputation - Joan Jett - 1981*

*the same album was self released under the title Joan Jett in 1980, before a label picked it up and rereleased it as Bad Reputation in Jan 1981

I always got a kick out of Joan Jett outtestosteroning the metal boys of her era, who were just discovering the wonders of spandex, perms and mascara at about the same time she was emerging as the leather clad badass queen of rock n roll. Just to give you a visual of what I am referring to:

Balls

No Balls

This was the album in which Joan first proved that there are very few things you can't make badass through the gratuitous application of power chords. In fact she tried to make an album composed of pretty much nothing but.

Joan Jett/Bad Reputation was her first album after the breakup of her pioneering all female band [band that has not been taken and so will not be mentioned by name]. Notoriously, she could not get a label to pick her up, because you see she didn't dress or act like a lady, didn't sing nice and clean and pretty, played an instrument with electricity plugged in, and my god, she even snarled. It was just very offputting. So, in a wonderfully apt bit of **** you, she just said screw you, started her own record company, recorded this album with the help of some of the biggest players in the punk world at the time (several of the Ramones who have been taken, as well as several members of other famous bands who have not), and sold them out of the back of her van in front of concert venues until the labels couldn't ignore her anymore.

So this was Joan Jett before the stardom/arena rock. There are straight punk tracks on here (including of course the big hit Bad Reputation), but what makes it fun is the sense of her going back to her own 60s rock roots, and punking out songs intitially sung in poodle skirts. There are various straight covers of 60s hits as she showed early her gift for covering songs and ballsying them up, but even in the songs that aren't direct covers there are lots of fun little bits of nostalgia mixed in amongst the crashing guitars. I think the two best covers on the album are actually covers of a famous British glam rocker (who also has not, and will not be taken) who has since been revealed to be a complete scum, so I just pretty much consider these to be the definitive versions at this point as he's certainly not ever going to get any of my money.

Doing Alright With the Boys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9G_mhktYog
Let Me Go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCk1O4So6bc

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Of all the glam bands to label no balls you gotta pick on [band who has not been taken yet]?

I didn't really care for a lot of their stuff but it beat the heck out of most of the other genuine crap from that era. So many more worthy candidates. Tom Keifer was fantastic up until he blew his voice.

Bricklayer

Of all the glam bands to label no balls you gotta pick on [band who has not been taken yet]?

I didn't really care for a lot of their stuff but it beat the heck out of most of the other genuine crap from that era. So many more worthy candidates. Tom Keifer was fantastic up until he blew his voice.
Sorry, had to alter that given their not taken status.

and I actually really liked some of their music before they went too country. More legit than many for show only bands of the era. However, nobody looked quite so silly for a visual aid.

with the eighth pick in the twenty-fourth round of the Desert Island Music Draft, i select...

Kuedo - Severant (10/17/11):

01 Visioning Shared Tomorrows
02 Ant City
03 Whisper Fate
04 Onset (Escapism)
05 Scissors
06 Truth Flood
07 Reality Drift
08 Ascension Phase
09 Salt Lake Cuts
10 Seeing the Edges
11 Flight Path
12 Shutter Light Girl
13 Vectoral
14 As We Lie Promising
15 Memory Rain

Note: no Wikipedia page available.

EDIT: Notes from Allmusic

Genre: electronica, electroclash, ambient

brief description this time around: my 24th pick is another dispatch from the future, and in close conversation with one of my prior picks, Vangelis' original score from the film Blade Runner. Kuedo lifts those brass-mimicking synthesizers and reapplies them on Severant with dystopian hip hop verve, creating an instrumental, beat-driven masterpiece capable of soundtracking any escape into the stars...

For this pick, I am going with an album that features contributions by Paul Simon, Stephen Bishop, Toni Tennille, Steve Cropper, Graham Nash, David Crosby...

I select:

Breakaway - Art Garfunkel - 1975
Breakaway_(Art_Garfunkel_album).jpg

This album is a sentimental favorite of mine... Art Garfunkel's voice is one of my all time favorites, if not my all-time favorite. This album is features a Simon and Garfunkel reunion song "My Little Town", and great, great songs like "I Only Have Eyes for You", "Break Away", "Rag Doll", "Waters of March", "99 Miles from L.A." and, my favorite track on the album, "Disney Girls". In fact, with 99 Miles from LA and Disney Girls, this makes a great album to listen to when going to and from Anaheim to visit Disneyland. I only ever heard this album because I am into records and got it from my parents. Wonderful album, tons of special contributors, and, most importantly, Art Garfunkel.

Here is a selected quote from "Disney Girls" that I love: "Reality, it's not for me and makes me laugh"

Bricklayer

oh Draft Poobah, something occurred to me recently, and it should have occurred to me earlier because I had the same issue pop up in a draft I ran a couple of years back and similarly extended.

The draft shouldn't be 25 rounds long.

Reason? The snake. In order for the snake to finish and everybody to get the same number of early/late picks in the draft, it has to end on an even number. I don't think its going to kill us 25 rounds into the draft, but to be totally balanced we would either need to end it here in a few picks, or finish the snake by going through Rnd 26. or 28. or 30. 50... :p

oh Draft Poobah, something occurred to me recently, and it should have occurred to me earlier because I had the same issue pop up in a draft I ran a couple of years back and similarly extended.

Reason? The snake. In order for the snake to finish and everybody to get the same number of early/late picks in the draft, it has to end on an even number. I don't think its going to kill us 25 rounds into the draft, but to be totally balanced we would either need to end it here in a few picks, or finish the snake by going through Rnd 26. or 28. or 30. 50... :p

Also, NoBonus's Art Garfunkel pick was likely the greatest pick ever made in any draft.
Let's go 50.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

I'm not gonna change it again. :) And I don't agree with the need for balance after 25 picks. Plus, on a personal note, someone very close to me is very glad that she at least got the last pick in the draft as a consolation prize.

And P.S.? I hate the stupid snake. I think it's unfair in fantasy league drafts and I think it's unfair here, for the simple reason you have to really think long and hard if you're at either end because of the long times between picks. :p

Last edited:
I dont understand why the snake is unfair in fantasy drafts...elaborate please...
I'm not gonna change it again. :) And I don't agree with the need for balance after 25 picks. Plus, on a personal note, someone very close to me is very glad that she at least got the last pick in the draft as a consolation prize.

And P.S.? I hate the stupid snake. I think it's unfair in fantasy league drafts and I think it's unfair here, for the simple reason you have to really think long and hard if you're at either end because of the long times between picks. :p

I adhere to the principle that, as with a healthy diet, music appreciation requires diversity. It is optimal. This next selection is a much slower pace than most of my other fare; for moments of reflection, introspection, and yes, nostalgia from earlier times, and my elders. There's much to learn from those older around us, from old men, old maids, and friends with hearts of gold. This album contains many of my father's favorite Neil Young tracks, with the Needle and the Damage Done being my personal favorite and a haunting reminder of the pitfalls of hedonism and addictive endeavors.

With my 24th selection, I choose:

Neil Young - Harvest - 1972

Track List:

Side One:

1. Out on the Weekend - 4:35
2. Harvest - 3:11
3. A Man Needs A Maid - 4:05
4. Heart of Gold - 3:07
5. Are You Ready For the Country? - 3:23

Side 2:
1. Old Man - 3:24
2. There's The World - 2:59
3. Alabama - 4:02
4. The Needle and the Damage Done - 2:03
5. Words (Behind the Lines of Age) - 6:40

More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvest_(Neil_Young_album)

I adhere to the principle that, as with a healthy diet, music appreciation requires diversity. It is optimal. This next selection is a much slower pace than most of my other fare; for moments of reflection, introspection, and yes, nostalgia from earlier times, and my elders. There's much to learn from those older around us, from old men, old maids, and friends with hearts of gold. This album contains many of my father's favorite Neil Young tracks, with the Needle and the Damage Done being my personal favorite and a haunting reminder of the pitfalls of hedonism and addictive endeavors.

With my 24th selection, I choose:

Neil Young - Harvest - 1972

Great pick

I listened to the album non stop when i moved to the midwest for a year as a "troubled" teen. I am sure they did not help anything...

Suicidal Tendencies - Lights...Camera...Revolution!

untitled.jpg

Wiki

My next pick is from a band that definitely scared me when I was listening to their songs during my "rebellious" years. Their songs were so "evil" that one of their albums were labeled as explicit even with the absence of profanity in all their songs. But, despite that, I can't seem to tear myself away from listening to them and picked up their albums one after the other. I love most of their albums(hate the middle three) so I found it very hard picking one to bring with me to my island. Finally, I decided on one album which I played most and really the first album that comes to my mind when the word Danzig is mentioned.

Danzig II: Lucifuge - Danzig (1990)

WIKI

Danzig2na.jpg

Confession- I have represented myself and my musical taste as best as I could in this draft. For the most part I drafted all the key albums I wanted. I feel contended and completely free of responsibility re the next two picks.

So what do I choose? Ode to my youthful days (they are not over)? Ode to some historical figure? An impulse pick? A pick for the future or a pick based on my mood this past week? I thought of making a political statement but saved myself from such a pick- on an island I will be by myself and political statements will be completely useless (just as they are off the island). I want to keep to albums that I own....

Robert Glasper. Double Booked. 2009.

image.jpg

I like this album. My dad also likes this album- although he doesn't like bilal's singing at the end- I do.

Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-Booked

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
My last two picks are in no danger of being selected by anyone else. But they are incredibly personal and important to me, as they represent two very important times in my life.

With my 24th pick, I'm going back further than anyone else and selecting an album that came out in 1958, although it was recorded in 1939.

I grew up listening to the sounds of the Big Band era coming from my mom's record player. On rare occasions, she and my dad would dance to this music on our living room rug, entertaining me and my brother and providing me with the roots from which my love of music would grow. Is it dated? Oh hell yes. But, like my next pick, it represents a mixture of treasured family images with their own sound track.

The Carnegie Hall Concert - Glenn Miller - 1958

In the late fall of 1939, the music publishing company ASCAP put on a concert at Carnegie Hall to celebrate their 25th anniversary. Four orchestras were present that night and performed to a very appreciative audience. Glenn Miller's band was last to perform, following Benny Goodman, Fred Waring and Paul Whiteman. Those three orchestras became after-thoughts once Miller took the stage. His band played everything from swing to slow romantic mood music.

It has been called Miller's defining moment.

1. Moonlight Serenade/Running Wild
2. Sunrise Serenade
3. Little Brown Jug
4. Stairway to the Stars/To You
5. One O'Clock Jump
6. Danny Boy (Londonderry Air)
7. Jim Jam Jimp/F.D.R. Jones/Hold Tight
8. In the Mood
9. Bugle Call Rag/Moonlight Serenade

My mom has been gone for almost four years. I lost my dad 29 years ago. When I hear this album, though, I picture them as they were back then in my childhood. It's a good memory to have for my island.

BTW? The picture on the video clip is of Jimmy Stewart, who played Glenn Miller in the movie, The Glenn Miller Story.

With the final pick of Round 24..

RAtM-BattleofLosAngeles.jpeg

Rage Against the Machine - The Battle of Los Angeles

Another band that is not afraid to back down from social commentary in their music. This is my favorite album by Rage and it's one that, when the album was released - I enjoyed but didn't love. The more I heard, the more it grew on me. At that point in my life, I was on some other music kicks and this one kind of went under the radar for a few years. It wasn't until later when I went back and began to hear and see what I had missed. Now here we are 15 years later and this album is truly a masterpiece.

More..

With the first pick of the Final Round and my last pick in the draft,

220px-TLCCrazySexyCool.jpg

TLC - CrazySexyCool

It was down to this album and another artist for my final pick and TLC makes the cut. "CrazySexyCool" is one of those albums that just transports you to a time and place, and you automatically can think, see and feel where you were during that time. For me, "CrazySexyCool" was the soundtrack to my life in 94-95. Alot of great memories and usually TLC was playing in the background. From endless playlists featuring "Waterfalls," to laid back summer nights listening to "Diggin' On You," this album was such a huge part of my life.

Being able to hear "Creep" on my island for the rest of my life beats out any other alternatives for me.

More..

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Looking back at my list, I see an eclectic mixture of music that truly represents my life. There is one event in my life, however, that hasn't been represented and it's time to remedy that with this final pick, especially as it's easily the most important thing in my life.

Gather Me - Melanie - 1971

As a lot of you know, Kingsgirl4 is my daughter. She was named after this singer, and in particular this song...(the video was the only one I could find of Melanie singing the song).

Melanie had a number of hit albums in the 70s, but this is the one I want on my island with me.

The song people might recognize: Brand New Key

Chopin: Mazurkas. Sandor Falvay. 1991.

'You can stand in a garage but it does not make you a car'

I went to a HS that cared a great deal for classical music. I absorbed nothing. Life had not started and I could only look forward. It wasn't until recently that a person at work requested Chopin. I had a look around and found this. Although far from a musician- the arrangements here make me pretty envious. One day...

Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazurkas_(Chopin)

For my last pick, i'm going to select another low-hanging fruit. Just like my Billy Joel pick, i'm kinda surprised that no album from this artist has been selected up to now. This album was not originally on my list because I had a feeling that it would be gone in the early rounds, so I was quite surprised when I was scanning the lists and found that it has not been taken yet(I had to triple check to make sure). So for my final pick of the 2013 Music Album Draft, I select:

Blood on the Tracks - Bob Dylan (1975)

WIKI

Bob_Dylan_-_Blood_on_the_Tracks.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.