Desert Island Music Album Draft 2013 - draft complete

Should we extend the draft to 25 picks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interestingly enough, the only participant in this draft who has more than four artists I'd never heard of is... uhm... you. In fact, fifteen of your twenty-three picks to date are from artists I'd never heard of, coming into the draft.
man, i feel like i'm not working hard enough if you've heard of more than four artists on my list-thus-far...

;)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
man, i feel like i'm not working hard enough if you've heard of more than four artists on my list-thus-far...

;)
You have a number of artists on your list whom I've "heard" of, but never listened to. Wrestling (and writing for a wrestling e-fed) has exposed me to a lot of music.

The thing about me is that I don't really follow indie/underground artists. But I also don't listen to the radio, watch MTV, BET, or any of those stations, either. As such, I have little knowledge of any artists who made their musical debut after 2000, virtually no knowledge of any artists who debuted after 2005, and absolutely no knowledge of artists who debuted after 2010.

With my 23rd selection, I choose:

Keb' Mo - Keep It Simple - 2004

Winner of the Grammy for best contemporary blues album in 2005, this album spins a more optimistic voice to the blues with songs such as Prosperity Blues, I'm Amazing, One Friend, and Keep It Simple. He is a joy to watch live, engaging the audience at every turn with a winning personality and jovial countenance. I became aware of his music following an extraordinary live performance in Chico in the aughts. I liked the album so much, that we used the 3rd track for the 1st dance song at our wedding. 7 years passes very quickly indeed, and if I can't take my family with me, at least I can have pieces of their memories.

Track List:

1. France - 2:53
2. Let Your Light Shine - 4:04
3. One Friend - 2:05
4. Shave Yo Legs - 4:14
5. Prosperity Blues - 3:25
6. Closer - 4:18
7. Keep It Simple - 4:58
8. Riley B. King - 5:16
9. House In California - 2:41
10. Walk Back In - 5:24
11. I'm Amazing - 3:14
12. Proving You Wrong - 3:46

More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keep_It_Simple_(Keb'_Mo'_album)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am surprised this one is still around, I select:

The Black Crowes - Shake Your Money Maker -1990

BlackCrowesShakeYourMoneymaker.jpg

What can I say about this album? It's incredible... I never liked this group until I saw them live, then I loved them. I overlooked this band for many years, but this is a really solid blues-based hard rock album. Songs like "Twice as Hard", "Jealous Again", the criminally overplayed "Hard to Handle" and the beautiful "She Talks To Angels" make this effort one of those magical first albums... it is like lightning struck and this album was created. Incredible.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I am surprised this one is still around, I select:

The Black Crowes - Shake Your Money Maker -1990

View attachment 4656

What can I say about this album? It's incredible... I never liked this group until I saw them live, then I loved them. I overlooked this band for many years, but this is a really solid blues-based hard rock album. Songs like "Twice as Hard", "Jealous Again", the criminally overplayed "Hard to Handle" and the beautiful "She Talks To Angels" make this effort one of those magical first albums... it is like lightning struck and this album was created. Incredible.

I illegally discussed that one with somebody else in the draft early on, drawing the comparison for me to the Black Keys, with the interesting parallel name/genre. Don't truly love either one. But like them both as back to basics rockers for their eras. Think I may have just played the Crowes out in the early 90s.

with the ninth pick in the twenty-third round of the 2013 Desert Island Music Draft, i select...

Mew - Frengers (04/??/03):

01 Am I Wry? No
02 156
03 Snow Brigade
04 Symmetry
05 Behind the Drapes
06 Her Voice Is Beyond Her Years
07 Eight Flew Over, One Was Destroyed
08 She Came Home for Christmas
09 She Spider
10 Comforting Sounds

Genre: alternative rock, indie rock, shoegaze, dream pop, progressive rock

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frengers

as a drummer, my ears are perpetually tuned in the direction of rhythm, but Mew is one of the few bands i love who first managed to hook me entirely with their guitar tone. they're danish wizards of dreamy, progressive, shoegazing indie rock. i actually discovered them years ago next to mewithoutYou, one of my earlier picks in this draft, in the sprawling rock section at The Beat in Sacramento (which just left its home of i-don't-know-how-many-years on J St.). it certainly helps my proclivities that Mew has a drummer with serious chops, but if you listen to the song above, you may come to understand what i mean about hooking a listener with nothing more than guitar tone. while Frengers is excellent top to bottom, i'm bringing this album along with me to my desert island almost exclusively for "Am I Wry? No," one of my favorite lead-off tracks ever. i love that chunky, distorted riff so much...

I illegally discussed that one with somebody else in the draft early on, drawing the comparison for me to the Black Keys, with the interesting parallel name/genre. Don't truly love either one. But like them both as back to basics rockers for their eras. Think I may have just played the Crowes out in the early 90s.
I agree they were overplayed... so much so, it wasn't until the 2000's I could tolerate them... but now that they are off the air (and MTV is dead), they are a good listen.

Bricklayer

I had to go back and check twice to confirm this one had not been taken:

Eliminator - ZZ Top - 1983

A perfect storm of an album during its early MTV heyday, combining ballsy blues rock with just a touch of newfangled keyboards to modernize the sound, cool cars, hot women, and an iconic manufactured imagery stretching everywhere from huge beards, dark glasses, highly stylized guitars, and ZZ keychains. I'm old enough to have lived through its era, but did not come to fully appreciate the brilliance of the entire package until years alter when I had gained a little perspective. It lasts this late for me because once you get past the huge hits on the album (Gimme All Your Lovin', Sharp Dressed Man, Legs et al) I've never considered the filler that exceptional. But what's good is great, and unfortunately is probably my last stab to get back into the classic rock game in this draft.

Gimme All Your Lovin': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae829mFAGGE
Legs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUDcTLaWJuo

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Round 23, pick 11

With the three hundred sixty-third pick of the draft, Mr. Slim Citrus selects:

Floetry, Floetic (2002)

A very satisfying fusion of my two favorite genres, hip-hop and R&B, Floetic was the debut album of the relatively short-lived duo Floetry. They only released three albums before splitting up, and this was, by far, the most successful, selling over 800,000 copies, and being certified gold. I do find it curious that, for a duo that was composed of two Englishwomen (Marsha "Songstress" Ambrosius and Natalie "Floacist" Stewart), and claimed to be based out of London, their albums were far more successful in the United States. Three of the songs from Floetic were released as singles ("Floetic," "Say Yes," and "Getting Late"), but their best-known song, "Butterflies," was one that they actually wrote for Michael Jackson. (cite: Wikipedia).

Top Three favorite non-singles (may not be available via mobile):

1. Butterflies (Demo Version). For comparison, here is the Michael Jackson version, in which you can hear Ambrosius providing background vocals. MJ's version clearly has superior production value, but I'm partial to the original.
  2. Now You're Gone (More Than I Can Feel)
  3. Opera

I've found these things can be good for that. Well, certainly good for broadening your musical knowledge, if not necessarily your musical tastes. When I participated in the first album draft, five years ago, every single participant had at least two artists on their lists whom I'd never heard of, as of 2008, except for my own. Prophetess was the leader in the clubhouse, with a full half of her list (10 out of 20) being from artists I'd never heard of, and pdxKingsfan, at one point, picked six straight albums from artists I'd never heard of.
Did you ever go look any of them up and give them a listen?

I was thinking of putting my own sub-list of 20 (no way I could do 25, 20 is a stretch!) albums that would not have qualified last time around since they didn't exist. Maybe to get a fuller list I could go 2005 or later. Surprisingly no newer music I like enough to consider in a draft has really been picked yet, unless I just missed it.

Time to get back to the sixties.

The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle (1968)

wiki

Psychedelic pop excellence, twelve tracks that you'll struggle to get out of your head after the first listen. I like this better than the Beach Boys and it's right up there with the best Beatles records when I'm in the mood for some 60s catchy tunes.
As you may have noticed I like my music raw and/or minimal, if an album as baroque and over-layered as this one strikes me enough to include it in a desert island draft you better believe it's truly special.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Great pick! Although the obvious Zombies song isn't on there, there are some gems. Their sound was unique, one of those groups you could recognize right away by their voices. :)

When it comes down to it, I'm taking this for one song, possibly my favorite song: House of the Rising Sun. There is an avalanche of versions of it, but this is the one I know and like the best.

The Animals - The Animals (1964)

You know, I really thought I'd have more to say on this one. But it's House of the Rising Sun and a lot of blues I've yet to really sink my teeth into. In the meantime, enjoy the Animals and their most famous single. I know I will.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Animals_(American_album)

Bricklayer

Working right now. I'll add more when I get home. When it comes down to it, I'm taking this for one song, possibly my favorite song: House of the Rising Sun. There are actually an avalanche of versions of it. This one though is the one I know the best.

The Animals - The Animals (1964)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Animals_(American_album)
House of the Rising Sun has always been an excellent tune. In a singles draft I might take it.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Garbage - Version 2.0 (1999) (Wiki link)

​Just like one of my recent picks (Moby), one of the things that I enjoy about Garbage is the way that they take some electronica and blend it with another genre (in this case guitar rock) rather than force it to stand on its own. Add to that the fact that singer Shirley Manson has a fantastic voice and you've got the makings of a great album. This album produced a ton of singles but still I think my favorite part of the album is the closer "You Look So Fine", whose perfect fade out closes the mood to an album better than any other I can think of.

​(Link to “I Think I'm Paranoid”)

​(Link to “You Look So Fine")

Last edited:
Still reshuffling and will be to the last pick. Next up:

Gorillaz -- Gorillaz (2001) http://www.allmusic.com/album/gorillaz-mw0000002817
Don't have too terribly much to say about this one other than I love it. With its cartoon band members (comic book artist Jamie Hewlett was one of the band's founders) and ever growing list of collaborators, Gorillaz are more gimmick than they are actual band; Blur's Damon Albarn is, I believe, the only person who has remained involved throughout the duration of the band's output. But the gimmick of it doesn't really matter when the music is good, and the music is pretty darn good, I think. "Clint Eastwood" (embedded below) was the first track of theirs I heard, and I was hooked immediately. Having Dan The Automator and Del the Funky Homosapien on board doesn't hurt.

"19-2000": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IUjtHf76wM
"Punk": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-_Bfd2nXyk
"Rock the House": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRlmM88zzbY

With the Final Selection of the 23rd round my Next Pick is:

The Bee Gees- One Night Only-1998

Bee_Gees_One_Night_Only.jpg

wiki

I am so glad I was able to snag this album at the almost end of the draft. I have ALWAYS been a fan of The Bee Gees. My husband is also so this album has a lot of special meaning and memories for me. I have wanted to take at least one live album this draft and i cant think of a better one. This album was recorded on November 14, 1997 at MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada. There are too many great songs to name, I have included the track list for reference.

"Intro: You Should Be Dancing/Alone" – 5:47
"Massachusetts" – 2:32
"To Love Somebody" (B. Gibb, R. Gibb) – 3:10
"Words" – 3:27
"Closer Than Close" – 3:30
"Islands in the Stream" – 3:47
"(Our Love) Don't Throw It All Away" (Featuring Andy Gibb) (B. Gibb, Blue Weaver) – 3:52
"Night Fever/More Than a Woman" – 3:26
"Lonely Days" – 3:44
"New York Mining Disaster 1941" (B. Gibb, R. Gibb) – 2:15
"I Can't See Nobody" (B. Gibb, R. Gibb) – 1:30
"And the Sun Will Shine" – 1:54
"Nights on Broadway" – 1:05
"How Can You Mend a Broken Heart?" (B. Gibb, R. Gibb) – 3:27
"Heartbreaker" – 1:05
"Guilty" – 2:21
"Immortality" (Featuring Celine Dion) – 4:46
"Tragedy" – 4:28
"I Started a Joke" – 2:48
"Grease" (Featuring Frankie Valli) (B. Gibb) – 2:43
"Jive Talkin'" – 4:19
"How Deep Is Your Love" – 3:54
"Stayin' Alive" – 3:59
"You Should Be Dancing" – 4:12

With the First Selection of the 24th Round My Next Pick is:

Everclear-So much for the Afterglow- 1997

Everclear_-_So_Much_for_the_Afterglow.jpg

wiki

when in doubt, back to the 90's I go! Not too much to say about this album. I have always enjoyed this band. I looked over all of their albums and this one had three songs that I really enjoy listening to including "everything to everyone", "I will buy you a new life", and "father of mine". Initially dubbed a "one hit wonder" Everclear proved a lot of people wrong with this album. Not necessarily a "must have" at the time this draft started but still very happy to add it to my collection of work.

Bricklayer

With the First Selection of the 24th Round My Next Pick is:

Everclear-So much for the Afterglow- 1997

View attachment 4658

wiki

when in doubt, back to the 90's I go! Not too much to say about this album. I have always enjoyed this band. I looked over all of their albums and this one had three songs that I really enjoy listening to including "everything to everyone", "I will buy you a new life", and "father of mine". Initially dubbed a "one hit wonder" Everclear proved a lot of people wrong with this album. Not necessarily a "must have" at the time this draft started but still very happy to add it to my collection of work.
Ha! Well.... I fell a little better. I have had a different Everclear album on my lists now for 2 of these drafts, and it just never seemed spunky enough to deserve to be taken. So I feel a little better that something of theirs got taken after my ignoring them for going on 50 picks now.

Round 24 already? Goodness. Well, with my second-to-last pick, I'm taking:

Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea -- PJ Harvey (2000) http://www.allmusic.com/album/stories-from-the-city-stories-from-the-sea-mw0000098863
Keeping it brief out of just plain sleepiness, but another great album from a unique voice within music.

"This Is Love": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STxXS5lLunE
"Kamikaze": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3QrxK3WPwQ
"One Line": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng0l6v11-1A
"You Said Something": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LORGWrKw60

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti (1975) (Wiki link)

​Here at the end of the draft I really feel like there is one piece of incredibly low-hanging fruit that I cannot allow to go undrafted. Yes, I already have a Zeppelin album, but I guess I get another one, because Physical Graffiti is begging me to jump ahead of several other worthy albums, and I am listening. Kashmir alone should be enough to pick the album, but throw in The Rover, Custard Pie, In The Light, In My Time Of Dying, etc. and how can it go undrafted? It mustn't. In fact I was 100% torn between PG and HotH for my earlier Zepp pick. OK, I get both!

Link to "Kashmir"

Link to "The Rover"

Last edited:
Well, now that our sudden 5 pick detour is behind us, I can finally get back to what I had planned as my last two picks all along.

First up, for a long while if someone were to ask me my favorite indie band, I'd answer "Clash at Demonhead" with tongue firmly implanted in cheek. I figured the fictitious band that offered up "Black Sheep" to the Scott Pilgrim vs. The World soundtrack was the ultimate "you probably haven't heard of them" answer for a question to which I'd otherwise have to just shrug my shoulders and change the subject.

After pretending to like a fake band long enough, decided to check out the real band that inspired them. Lo and behold, the lie became the truth.

Fantasies - Metric (2009)

The toughest part for me was nailing down which Metric album I wanted to take. Fantasies ended up winning by a nose in a very tight three-way race mainly because I find it the most accessible, with a seemingly pop/rock heavy, hook-laden slant from top to bottom. There's nothing particularly earth-shattering or revolutionary, the songs have a habit of over-repetion of the hooks and I'm fairly convinced Stadium Love is about either the Hunger Games or Pokemon. But all that said, it exudes fun throughout its 10 song playlist in a "soundtrack at a party" kind of way and Emily Haines has a beautifully rock-raspy entrancing voice.

The heavy hitters from the album are probably Gimme Sympathy and Gold Guns Girls (both linked below) having appeared in enough extraneous media to gain a bit of notoriety. But I could have honestly seen any of its 10 songs released as singles (with some creative editing to the somewhat explicit Satellite Love). Blindness specifically offers a cool, soothing, change-of-pace ballad at the end of an otherwise upbeat album.

Ironically, Black Sheep isn't on this album despite originally having been planned to be (and can't be found anywhere aside the Scott Pilgrim soundtrack and Fantasies two disc expanded edition, which I kinda think would be cheating). Metric said it "too obviously reflected the band's sound." Because apparently that's a bad thing.

Regardless, even if the song that brought me to them can't be had, I'm thankful to add a band that helps me rock out without making me think about death and get sad and stuff.

Gimme Sympathy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqldwoDXHKg)

Blindness (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rfjVUT6jfY)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasies_(album)

After a good chunk of sunshine it's time for a bit of doom and gloom.

The Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat (1968)

wiki

Twangy sounds of the cheapest types,
Sounds as stark as black and white stripes,
Bold and brash, sharp and rude,
Like the heats turned off
And you're low on food.
How in the world were they making that sound?
Velvet Underground

These lyrics, by a guy who hasn't been drafted yet and probably won't be, are my favourite way to describe how The Velvet Underground sounded, especially in this record. I picked this instead of its more acclaimed brother mostly because side B is completely insane and head and shoulders above anything the group ever recorded, the guitar solo on I Heard Her Call My Name still blows my mind even if I probably listened to it a hundred times already.

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti (1975) (Wiki link)

​Here at the end of the draft I really feel like there is one piece of incredibly low-hanging fruit that I cannot allow to go undrafted. Yes, I already have a Zeppelin album, but I guess I get another one, because Physical Graffiti is begging me to jump ahead of several other worthy albums, and I am listening. Kashmir alone should be enough to pick the album, but throw in The Rover, Custard Pie, In The Light, In My Time Of Dying, etc. and how can it go undrafted? It mustn't. In fact I was 100% torn between PG and HotH for my earlier Zepp pick. OK, I get both!

No link yet to "Kashmir"

No link yet to "The Rover"
I considered this one as well. I just watched the documentary It Might Get Loud over the weekend, and found this scene interesting/awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.