Breaking point? cousins to be benched?

It's a little early to start labeling him as a cancer or not. Is he immature? Yes. Is he only 20? Yes. Is he the first rookie to have emotional outbursts? No. Was Chris Webber immature as a rookie? Hell yes. Was Chris Webber a "cancer"? Hell no
I agree with a couple posts here - we knew what we were getting into potentially with DMC. Maybe the hard love is something he'll respond to - we can only hope just as it has inspired him in the past and he saw the error in his ways but doing too much of it I hope doesn't strain his will to want to play here in Sacramento. The over-reaction of people towards him is mind boggling, we knew he was an emotional player before we drafted him this is just DMC at 20 years old and I'm sure he'll grow out of it he just needs some time.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
It's a little early to start labeling him as a cancer or not. Is he immature? Yes. Is he only 20? Yes. Is he the first rookie to have emotional outbursts? No. Was Chris Webber immature as a rookie? Hell yes. Was Chris Webber a "cancer"? Hell no
Exactly. The Chris Webber comparison is quite apt. Both came out after one season of college, both incredibly talented, both have some maturity issues (my memory is hazy but Webber's first few seasons seem to have been marked by worse behavior than we've seen from Cousins so far). But both are genuinely good people off the court and have that fire to win. DeMarcus taking the Webber route of immature 20-year-old to locker room leader doesn't seem far-fetched to me.

Exactly. The Chris Webber comparison is quite apt. Both came out after one season of college, both incredibly talented, both have some maturity issues (my memory is hazy but Webber's first few seasons seem to have been marked by worse behavior than we've seen from Cousins so far). But both are genuinely good people off the court and have that fire to win. DeMarcus taking the Webber route of immature 20-year-old to locker room leader doesn't seem far-fetched to me.
Webber played 2 years of college ball.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Webber played 2 years of college ball.
My mistake.

Well if someone has Factorial in their name they better at least get the facts right. Kinda ironic.
Not that I don't strive to be accurate, but it may be a bit less ironic if you realize that the "Factorial" is in reference to a mathematical operation of the same name and not the word "fact" in this instance.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I agree with a couple posts here - we knew what we were getting into potentially with DMC. Maybe the hard love is something he'll respond to - we can only hope just as it has inspired him in the past and he saw the error in his ways but doing too much of it I hope doesn't strain his will to want to play here in Sacramento. The over-reaction of people towards him is mind boggling, we knew he was an emotional player before we drafted him this is just DMC at 20 years old and I'm sure he'll grow out of it he just needs some time.

THIS is my worry. He might get turned off. He needs to be pulled up short at times but I think what happened is an over reaction. If he really is as sincere as he sounds, he didn't need all the battering. I don't want his fire killed. This guy could be something special and at the least is a genuine and very good center - already. Don't spoil it. This is not a Ron Artest. It's a Chris Webber and I really think they ought to throw a little money at Chris and have him mentor Boogie for awhile. Chris genuinely admires Cousins' skills and is articulate. The similarities betweem the two as people and as athletes is striking. Boogie just hasn't called a time out the team didn't have. :)

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I'm split on the punishment handed down. What he did was immature, and not something rookies should be doing. The loss makes it look worse. Something needed to be done.

I agree 100% with the fine. A fine and a stern talking to away from the media would ahve been enough for me. If you want to suspend him for a game, while I think it would be a bit much, I would still understand.

But pulling him from the starting lineup indefinitely? Overreaction, and using Cousins as a scape goat to take the attention away from the more glaring issues.

A suspension for a game is a clear message, and only effects the rest of the team on the court for a game. Doing it indefinitely will now drag this thing on longer than it needs to be dragged about, and effects the play of the entire team indefinitely. Right now, given Tyreke's struggles, Cousins is either our best or 2nd best player.

Throwing Sammy and Landry out there as starters not only changes our starting lineup indefinitely again, but IMO, puts out a worse frontline. Sit Cousins for a game, and when JT comes back next game, put them both back in the starting lineup.

There was also the articles on hoopsworld today that, if true, implies other players have aproblem with the benching of Cousins. He didn't show up late for practice, fall asleep during a film sessions, argue with coaches, get tossed from a game, or do many of the things which directly effects the play of the team. What he did doesn't scream "bad teammate".

So yes, I agree something had to be done, but to the extent it effects the entire team indefinitely, and takes the attention of the poor play and coaching away from the team and puts it on a 20 year old, is extreme, and somewhat cowardly of Westphal, IMO.

There was also the articles on hoopsworld today that, if true, implies other players have aproblem with the benching of Cousins. , IMO.
I read that. It sounded like they not only have a problem with this benching but with the benching and rotation changes that have been going on all season long. These guys probably just want some damn consistency, just like the fans.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
We draft a guy who has demonstrated many times over that he is immature. We got him BECAUSE he is immature Then when he acts immature, we fine him. What did you expect? Fining him, announcing it publicly and taking him out of the starting line up for being the guy we drafted. Makes you wonder who has a brain in this organization.

I don't support his behavior but THAT'S WHO WE DRAFTED! Shock and horrors, he's immature. Who'd have known? It's no wonder he doesn't take the game seriously when he is on a team of such incompetence. Maybe it's his way of staying sane. Makes me wonder how the other guys are behaving under the pressure of being on the worst team in basketball.

Until the Maloofs take this game seriously and invest in a real coach, we will be on the bottom of the league.

DMC has obviously had no wise guidance as he grew up. Hitting him over the head with a sledgehammer isn't going to help. He certainly isn't the cause of our problems.
You brought up an important part. And its a part that doesn't sit well with players. On most teams when a player gets out of line, he gets reprimanded and fined, and no one ever hears about it. Its kept in house. But for some reason, Westphal seems intent to throw certain players under the bus publicly. Its not a good idea to dis a player in public unless you have no choice in the matter. When you go public your making it more about yourself than you are the player. If I was management, the last player I would want to go public with is Cousins. It only feeds the national press who love a good bad boy story. Westphal admits that he didn't even know about the incident during the game and became aware of it by watching the game on tv later. The officials at the game didn't make an issure of it. But Westphal chose to. He could have read Cousins the riot act and fined him without anyone knowing about it. Thats likely what Sloan or Pop's or Jackson would have done.

If I remember correctly, Westphal came down on Hawes for going public with his statements. He said Hawes should have kept it in house. I guess whats good for the Goose isn't good for the Gander. Just a wee bit hypocritical me thinks.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Somewhere in these notes is a great analysis. It's "pat ourselves on the back" time.

My bottom line is that DeMarcus Cousins is a great young center who might become an All Star. If he works his butt off, who knows where his limit is. He is immature and the entire basketball world has known that for quite some time. What the entire basketball world missed was that he is likable and coachable. Maybe he's intelligent but that might be pushing it a bit. It's time to play parent. If you know your kid, you know what he responds to. I just hope this team knows Cousins and doesn't alienate him. He is more important to our future than Westphal.

If punishment is the only method of "guidance," we'll lose him just as many parents lose their children.

As a bottom to the bottom line, I could get all psychiatric and say that Westphal is creating a scapegoat so people don't take too close a look at what HE is doing. And who hired Westphal? There are bigger problems on this team than Boogie although we could turn him into the biggest problem.

I made a passing remark about how the other players are responding to this year. There are subtle ways of showing your anger and/or disappointment. Why do they collapse. Truly, they have more talent on this team than to have the worst record. Whatever Westphal is selling, the players aren't buying it nor am I.

Cousins is the only reason I watch the Kings this year. I suppose people have had enough of me by now.

Seems excessive to me. I agree that it was immature and he needed a talking to about the whole thing, but to fine and bench him and to make the fine public (can they do it privately?) seems like too much. He's responded really well IMO to the discipline he's received thus far, I hope he continues to do so.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
You know guys, there should be a all Demarcus Cousins talk, about anything and everything possible. It would avoid all these threads about the same player just different topics or similar ones.

We draft a guy who has demonstrated many times over that he is immature. We got him BECAUSE he is immature Then when he acts immature, we fine him. What did you expect? Fining him, announcing it publicly and taking him out of the starting line up for being the guy we drafted. Makes you wonder who has a brain in this organization.

I don't support his behavior but THAT'S WHO WE DRAFTED! Shock and horrors, he's immature. Who'd have known? It's no wonder he doesn't take the game seriously when he is on a team of such incompetence. Maybe it's his way of staying sane. Makes me wonder how the other guys are behaving under the pressure of being on the worst team in basketball.

Until the Maloofs take this game seriously and invest in a real coach, we will be on the bottom of the league.

DMC has obviously had no wise guidance as he grew up. Hitting him over the head with a sledgehammer isn't going to help. He certainly isn't the cause of our problems.
A-freaking-men brotha.

demarcus needs to be benched.

he cost us the last two games :mad:
Bench Tyreke, Beno, Donte, Landry, Dali, Jackson, Garcia, Casspi, Jeter too... I guess we can still play Head, Taylor, and bring back Whiteside from the D league next game... we gonna need a couple of the kings dancers to fill in the rest though... no biggie, we'll still get same results....

bajaden

Hall of Famer
demarcus needs to be benched.

he cost us the last two games :mad:
So Cisco shooting the ball with 12 seconds left on the shot clock and 30 seconds left on the game clock had nothing to do with the loss? Beno fouling a player shooting a 3 pointer and Landry fouling a player shooting a 3 pointer had nothing to do with it. No one guarding the three pt shooters with 2 seconds left on the clock when Cousins wasn't even on the floor, had nothing to do with it? Evans driving into traffic and turning the ball over had nothing to do with it? Me thinks your wearing blinders.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
So Cisco shooting the ball with 12 seconds left on the shot clock and 30 seconds left on the game clock had nothing to do with the loss? Beno fouling a player shooting a 3 pointer and Landry fouling a player shooting a 3 pointer had nothing to do with it. No one guarding the three pt shooters with 2 seconds left on the clock when Cousins wasn't even on the floor, had nothing to do with it? Evans driving into traffic and turning the ball over had nothing to do with it? Me thinks your wearing blinders.
King07 is one of the biggest trolls we have on here. Unfortunately, you're wasting your time responding to him.

From Scott H Coopers twitter:

With each special DeMarcus Cousins moment, chances increase the Kings will send No. 5 pick to the D-League. NBA.com link coming soon.

http://twitter.com/#!/SHowardCooper/status/18364485941071872
This would be terribly embarrassing for the franchise if its true. We drafted him knowing there is immaturity issues. If I were Cousins, I wouldn't go to the D League. Its for developing skills, not as a punishment. We're playing with fire here and we're going to get burned.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
This would be terribly embarrassing for the franchise if its true. We drafted him knowing there is immaturity issues. If I were Cousins, I wouldn't go to the D League. Its for developing skills, not as a punishment. We're playing with fire here and we're going to get burned.
Even that is questionable given Whitesides experience.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
If they send Cousins to the D-League, that is going to be a terrible idea. If you want to discipline the guy just sit him out for a couple of games or hell, weeks. But don't send the guy to the D-League where he doesn't belong. Somebody is definently playing with fire on this one, who's ever idea this is will surely come and bite them right back in the you know what, guarantee it.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
So now Cousins' agent is enabling Cousins with comments in the media, inferring Cousins was unfairly treated after his idiotic choke hold antics. Don't ya love agents? He gets his money supporting 10-year olds when they pull their antics.

Cousins continued with his 10-year old behavior by not high fiving Westphal as he left the floor against the Bucks. He's not taking responsibility. He's the victim (His agent told him so). Poor, poor Cousins.

If Cousins contines with his disrespecful attitude, the Kings won't have many options. Sure, they can just bench him outright. But then what antics is the 10-year old going to pull in the locker room? He's already pissing his teamates off. Garcia got in his face. He may be a minor benign tumor right now, but does benching him turn him into a full blown cancer? If Kings management thinks that he's going to continue to act like a petulant child in the locker room, they may have no choice other than send him to the D-League. Then the potential cancer can be isolated so it doesn't affect the rest of the team. Good luck Eric Musselman if that happens. But being sent to Siberia may be the best thing that ever happened to the guy. Maybe he finally figures out that the world doesn't revolve around him.

So now Cousins' agent is enabling Cousins with comments in the media, inferring Cousins was unfairly treated after his idiotic choke hold antics. Don't ya love agents? He gets his money supporting 10-year olds when they pull their antics.

Cousins continued with his 10-year old behavior by not high fiving Westphal as he left the floor against the Bucks. He's not taking responsibility. He's the victim (His agent told him so). Poor, poor Cousins.
Seriously, we shouldn't be paying any attention to what his agent's saying because his only job is to fellate Cousins and make sure that the player thinks he's got his back so he can ensure his own pay day down the line.

Is there any way we can hire DeMarcus' mom as an assistant coach? I really doubt he'd be doing any more choke signs in front of mama. /almostserious

If Cousins contines with his disrespecful attitude, the Kings won't have many options. Sure, they can just bench him outright. But then what antics is the 10-year old going to pull in the locker room? He's already pissing his teamates off. Garcia got in his face. He may be a minor benign tumor right now, but does benching him turn him into a full blown cancer? If Kings management thinks that he's going to continue to act like a petulant child in the locker room, they may have no choice other than send him to the D-League. Then the potential cancer can be isolated so it doesn't affect the rest of the team. Good luck Eric Musselman if that happens. But being sent to Siberia may be the best thing that ever happened to the guy. Maybe he finally figures out that the world doesn't revolve around him.
I had no problem with the benching and fining, but PW crossed the line of respect when he made that stupid public statement about "no more unlimited playing time until he learns how to be professional". That was a disrespectful and cowardly act of a coach that tries to spin the attention from his poor performance to his rookie player. In Cousins place, I would've snubbed Westphal's high five too, and I'm 33 years old, not 20. Reciprocating the high five after what Westphal did to him would've been extremely hypocritical, and you can say a lot about Cousins, but a hypocrit he is not. His worst weakness is that he is unable to hide how he really feals and therefore cannot display the level of hypocricy that might be expected of him in these situations. Omri was like that too last year, but he is slowly learning how this hypocricy thing works. I don't know if that's a good thing, but I guess that's part of what they call "maturing" in the NBA.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Seriously, we shouldn't be paying any attention to what his agent's saying because his only job is to fellate Cousins and make sure that the player thinks he's got his back so he can ensure his own pay day down the line.

Is there any way we can hire DeMarcus' mom as an assistant coach? I really doubt he'd be doing any more choke signs in front of mama. /almostserious
You do have to wonder what mom is telling him these days.

I had no problem with the benching and fining, but PW crossed the line of respect when he made that stupid public statement about "no more unlimited playing time until he learns how to be professional". That was a disrespectful and cowardly act of a coach that tries to spin the attention from his poor performance to his rookie player. In Cousins place, I would've snubbed Westphal's high five too, and I'm 33 years old, not 20. Reciprocating the high five after what Westphal did to him would've been extremely hypocritical, and you can say a lot about Cousins, but a hypocrit he is not. His worst weakness is that he is unable to hide how he really feals and therefore cannot display the level of hypocricy that might be expected of him in these situations. Omri was like that too last year, but he is slowly learning how this hypocricy thing works. I don't know if that's a good thing, but I guess that's part of what they call "maturing" in the NBA.
Great post, I agree 100%, and I'm a few years older than you are. Some things come down to principle, and this is one of those things. Cousins' age is irrelevant here. I suspect that most vets wouldn't be too fired up to give their coach a high five after getting thrown under the bus by him, either.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
;) Come on Asaf. Westphal over the line...;) So now Westphal is the culprit. Now Cousins is the victim. That's rich.

Personally, I don't think Cousins deserves respect. He hasn't earned it. Yelling, at Westphal, yelling at his assistants, yelling at his teamates, disrespecting his opponent, playing like a petulant child doing more frustration fouls in the 4th quarter than some players do in their entire NBA career. You've got to be kidding me. There's absolutely no reason whatsoever that he should be shown respect. As I've said before, if you don't treat others with respect, there's no reason for them to respect you. The only respect he deserves is the respect you show a 10-year old boy who has a lot to learn.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
This.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
;) Come on Asaf. Westphal over the line...;) So now Westphal is the culprit. Now Cousins is the victim. That's rich.

Personally, I don't think Cousins deserves respect. He hasn't earned it. Yelling, at Westphal, yelling at his assistants, yelling at his teamates, disrespecting his opponent, playing like a petulant child doing more frustration fouls in the 4th quarter than some players do in their entire NBA career. You've got to be kidding me. There's absolutely no reason whatsoever that he should be shown respect. As I've said before, if you don't treat others with respect, there's no reason for them to respect you. The only respect he deserves is the respect you show a 10-year old boy who has a lot to learn.
Honestly, I would probably rather have Cousins as the coach instead of Westphal at this moment in time.