BREAKING (not really) NEWS: Kings open for business in the offseason

This passed trade checker before posting. Just saying.
You don't seriously think Philly is giving up a 3 time all star, 1st team all defense player for the #9 pick + a guy who's played 50 games in the past two seasons + a 2nd/3rd string guy who was traded for Cory Joseph do you?

You don't seriously think Philly is giving up a 3 time all star, 1st team all defense player for the #9 pick + a guy who's played 50 games in the past two seasons + a 2nd/3rd string guy who was traded for Cory Joseph do you?
Can we get cash considerations too?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not big on the idea of trading for Simmons for a few reasons (I think he'd leave in free agency, I question his attitude and drive, he limits how you can build your team around him etc) but I think any real discussion of acquiring him starts with trading De'Aaron Fox. Simmons demands to be the primary ballhandler and it's also the only way you can maximize what he does well.

That said, while Simmons may be the more talented player of the two I'll take the kid who wants to be here and who doesn't have such a glaring hole in his game.

Fox's outside shot continues to be a work in progress, but last season he took 5.5 per game and hit them at a 32% clip. Teams at least have to respect his jumper while they sag off Simmons at the perimeter completely and dare him to shoot. He took 10 threes all of last season despite being left completely open pretty much any time he was beyond the arc.

We agree. People, who think Simmons can be had for #9, Buddy, and Bags are not properly valuing things.

Likewise, people, who think Simmons wouldn’t be the best all around player for the Kings, the second he’s on the team are tripping.

I'm not big on the idea of trading for Simmons for a few reasons (I think he'd leave in free agency, I question his attitude and drive, he limits how you can build your team around him etc) but I think any real discussion of acquiring him starts with trading De'Aaron Fox. Simmons demands to be the primary ballhandler and it's also the only way you can maximize what he does well.

That said, while Simmons may be the more talented player of the two I'll take the kid who wants to be here and who doesn't have such a glaring hole in his game.

Fox's outside shot continues to be a work in progress, but last season he took 5.5 per game and hit them at a 32% clip. Teams at least have to respect his jumper while they sag off Simmons at the perimeter completely and dare him to shoot. He took 10 threes all of last season despite being left completely open pretty much any time he was beyond the arc.
Your leaving in FA fear is mitigated by the years on the current contract. 2025 is a lifetime in NBA yrs. Bags was still in high school 4 yrs ago.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
100% guarantee that when that happens, the same people wishing he was gone now will suddenly be screaming about how trading him was a fireable offense.
Sure, but to be fair I EXPECT people paid large professional salaries to asses players talent, temperament and durability to at least be right more often than the average Joe watching games, and I especially count on them to know more than a mook like me. So even though I have said repeatedly that I question Bagley's abelites to stay healthy and constantly play at the highest level, if I am wrong I expect the experts to know it and keep him and if they prove to only be a competent as I would be do in THIER job them I think it's fair to knock them for that as well.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I've said this before but there really aren't any best case scenarios with Bagley. His rookie contract is up at the end of next season and he's a free agent.

• If the Kings trade him this summer they'll get very little in return because Bagley hasn't been able to stay healthy or develop
  • If he plays really well and the Kings don't trade him before the in-season deadline, they have to decide whether to re-sign him (or more likely whether to match another team's offer) or lose him for nothing
  • If he plays really well and the Kings trade him at the deadline, they won't get fair value because of (a) his injury history & lack of consistent production before a contract year and (b) the fact that he'll be a restricted free agent for his new team who will face the same issue the Kings would in my first scenario.
  • If he plays poorly (or gets hurt again) there's no trade value at the deadline and he walks at the end of the season. Some team gives him a small contract based on what potential he may have left and the Kings get nothing for the #2 pick in a loaded draft.
Honestly, there's very little value in a traditional PF in today's NBA. If there isn't a good deal to move Bagley this summer I'd say let Holmes walk and start Bagley at center and challenge him to be a better defender, screen setter, and rebounder. That's the moonshot of maximizing Bagley's potential now. Make him the starting five and see if it works. If not you cut ties and let him walk. It's at least worth a try vs trying to squeeze some other team for a pair of 2nd rounders, or the type of journey man player on a 1 or 2 year deal that Marvin might fetch at this point.
Agreed, so the only logical response is to ride him like a borrowed horse. Bagley will need to prove his vale this season regardless where the eventual offers come from. Get the most out of him on the court and if he can't produce get him out of the way so that a we can look at other options.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed, so the only logical response is to ride him like a borrowed horse. Bagley will need to prove his vale this season regardless where the eventual offers come from. Get the most out of him on the court and if he can't produce get him out of the way so that a we can look at other options.
Exactly. "You want out of Sacramento and a big offer/role on another team? Go out and prove to the rest of the league why you're worth it."

Best case scenario it makes the Kings better, Bagley finally puts it all together, he (and his dad) is happier, and the Kings re-sign him as a building block. Unlikely but possible.

Worst case scenario he's injured again and/or shows little to no improvement and he's gone after next season.

Yeah, by not trading Marvin you miss out on whatever terrible return he might get you in trade this summer but worth it for the slim chance of the best case scenario.

I don't think MBIII for 16 is unrealistic and think it would work for both teams and MBIII. Two picks... probably a little bit.
Jonathan Givony has Sengun going 16 and Moody going 18. Now if that happened to be the case then I would sure like at least one of those picks. Seeing they also have the 6th, Kuminga or Barnes, Id say pretty sweet rebuild on OKC’s part.
I’ve been listening to most the Bagley arguments here and on podcast such as Carmichael Dave and I don’t know what’s a realistic return. I do know it’s become a distraction so I wouldn’t mind rolling with an OKC trade if presented.

Weirder things have happened bro, don't mind me speaking out my mind.
Remember when Pau got traded for Kwame Brown and still unproven Marc Gasol? James Harden for Kevin Martin, a lamb, and a 13th pick? Kyle Kover to Philly for a copy machine (125K cash)

Do you honestly see a path for Marvin to succeed here? I can’t think of many examples of a player struggling for three years before turning it on in the fourth year with the same team. Injuries, poor play, outside noise and poor fit have all contributed to the situation Marvin finds himself in. I truly believe he needs a fresh start to give himself a real shot of having a better career. From the Kings side, we need defense at at least one of the front court positions and Marvin is very unlikely to ever provide that. If we can flip him for a first rounder I think we can find a defensive role player that might help us more. Or, if Cleveland does draft Mobley maybe we can trade Bagley and Buddy for Allen?
I think the issue is if this is the best time to trade him, or will we get better returns if he starts the season strong.

There is of course the possibility, that he in injured again, and his value falls further. At this point, it's likely that there's little to lose, but lots to gain if we hold on, and he starts strong.

I think the issue is if this is the best time to trade him, or will we get better returns if he starts the season strong.

There is of course the possibility, that he in injured again, and his value falls further. At this point, it's likely that there's little to lose, but lots to gain if we hold on, and he starts strong.
i think his dad is just making the situation worse, it's caused drama with Fox, wish he would just let his son handle his business

I’m not advocating for his release or to trade him for a second rounder but a first would be enough to entice me. I just don’t see a long term future for Marvin and the Kings

i think his dad is just making the situation worse, it's caused drama with Fox, wish he would just let his son handle his business
His dad has been an irritant for a while, and MB3 himself has not helped matters much. Not his fault that two people selected behind him have attained super star status. I also think he could have been given more minutes/play calls by Luke, particularly during the 4th quarters, but he also has to earn the trust. Injuries are often something he can't control (people might argue that more time in weight room etc., might make him more durable, but I don't know if his injuries were because of a lack of discipline in those areas, so want to avoid that discussion), but he can perhaps make more of a commitment on the defensive end.

That said, I think his value is more than what we make it out to be. He's still young, and his 36 mins averages are excellent. Health is a major red flag, and he will have to prove that he can stay healthy over an extended period. Due to this, his value is lower than what it should be right now, and if he starts the season strong, we might get more near the trade deadline. There's no reason to trade now, unless someone comes with an offer that Monte likes.

I do believe though that we should trade him by the deadline. Now, if he's playing great, and we are in the hunt for a play off spot (doubtful in the west, but let's see), maybe we hold on to him. We risk losing him for nothing as a RFA, but we still control the narrative to some extent. That's a bridge too far though. For now, I think we shouldn't trade him before the season starts, unless it's part of a package to get a star.