BREAKING (not really) NEWS: Kings open for business in the offseason

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
IMO the best case scenario for the KINGS and MB3 are for him to remain healthy and have a breakout season. Then they trade him for whatever they can get.

It's doubtful he'd re-sign here, even if they wanted to keep him. But even if he was open to staying they really can't risk extending him.
How could they possibly hand out a max contract to a kid that has played less than half the team's games through 3 seasons??

But what if he has another injury riddled season?
Maybe it is best to cut losses now and move on.

I don't think the KINGS need the distraction of another full season of MB3 and his family causing problems.
He is restricted so the only real risk is someone else maxing him out and us balking. In theory, we've been planning to max him out in prior years. That's the assumption when you draft a guy 2 overall. I would not max him out and I don't think we'd have to. So I'm inclined to go sink or swim.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
We shouldn't trade low, better to just see what he can bring and if it's more of the same let him walk.
I agree, but...

I don't think we can head into the season with Buddy, Bagley, and Walton. We can see Luke is an awful coach, I'm assuming other front offices can see the same. Given that opinion, we might not be selling as low as we think.

There are likely front offices out there rightfully thinking that Buddy's elite shooting is a necessary piece to take them to the next level. I don't disagree there. His shooting is a commodity, and we should be able to get value. I think we're in a seller's market on Buddy, given the right set of eyes.

Bagley, I agree is a little trickier. Yeah, he's young. His injuries raise red flags, as does his ability to fight through minor ones. Nobody plays at 100% health in the NBA - it just isn't feasible. Are we again selling low on Bagley? Some GM might believe that we did all the ground work in terms of letting him grow (despite injuries) and he's ready to take that year 4 leap. It's worth it to have him explode on your team, because he'll be happy to leave Sacramento and probably willing to resign with you. That GM might also see that Walton couldn't coach his way out of a paper sack, so Bagley was grossly mismanaged, and again, is ready to explode somewhere else.

FFS. The right move here is to deal Walton, hire Becky Hammond, and roll into the playoffs.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Ok seriously? Usually when I see some crazy anything but perfect trade touted as such, it's because the numbers worked in some trade tracker.
Well, I mean we can start with the fact that Talen Horton-Tucker is an impending free agent, and can't be traded.

But on top of that, the salaries are silly - Bagley+Buddy is either $33.6M this year or $34M next year, while KCP is $12M this year or $13M next year - with the Lakers WAY over the salary cap in both years, so it's not like they can absorb salary.

I would at minimum like to try to get OKCs two picks and swing for the fences if we go draft pick route. Or see what the Warriors will do. Try to get 3 picks teens or better since we can't get into the top 5.
Unfortunately, in Jason Jones’s latest mailbag at the Athletic, he quotes another league exec pegging Bagley’s value at two second rounders.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Unfortunately, in Jason Jones’s latest mailbag at the Athletic, he quotes another league exec pegging Bagley’s value at two second rounders.
If that's the case I say you just go all in on trying to keep him healthy and see what he's got. We don't need second rounders. We already have second rounders that can't see the floor. We can't develop our 2nd pick overall but we'd commit to 2 more long term projects? I mean come on.

I'm anxious to move on but it just makes me so angry.

SLAB

Hall of Famer

Giving Lebron and AD a shooter like Buddy would sorta suck and I don’t think I could stand a season of watching KCP but THT is an intriguing player that fits the time line better and there might be good value players available at that 22nd pick.
Hopefully Monte would laugh them off the phone. They’re both flawed players, but I’m not in the business of giving either of them away.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
bagley for wiseman. Both second overall picks being widely lambasted by their fan bases. Bagley’s off the books next year for Golden State and provides a better fit next to Draymond in the meantime. Warriors probably think Wiseman has more value though.

gunks

Hall of Famer
100% guarantee that when that happens, the same people wishing he was gone now will suddenly be screaming about how trading him was a fireable offense.
Not I!

Dudes injury concerns are too much for me to get past. Honestly I’d expect some good years from him elsewhere, I’ve always believed in his talent, just not his durability.

The Buddyesque social media games are irksome as well. I’d prefer to keep the locker room full of cool dudes like Fox, Hali, and Holmes (assuming we don’t lose him in FA).

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
bagley for wiseman. Both second overall picks being widely lambasted by their fan bases. Bagley’s off the books next year for Golden State and provides a better fit next to Draymond in the meantime. Warriors probably think Wiseman has more value though.
Oh don't you know, Wiseman and Wiggins going to head further up North for Dame :D

Giving Lebron and AD a shooter like Buddy would sorta suck and I don’t think I could stand a season of watching KCP but THT is an intriguing player that fits the time line better and there might be good value players available at that 22nd pick.
I wanted the Kings to draft Tucker and I think they realized their fluffing up of him through the media probably didn't quite work. Now they have to pay him. He'd be a solid pick up though and he's big enough to spot at the 3.

If that's the case I say you just go all in on trying to keep him healthy and see what he's got. We don't need second rounders. We already have second rounders that can't see the floor. We can't develop our 2nd pick overall but we'd commit to 2 more long term projects? I mean come on.

I'm anxious to move on but it just makes me so angry.
The only issue is when a trade is demanded. If it hasn't been already.

Freakin’ OUCH! Yeah, you just throw him out there every night and hope for the best over that nonsense.
Pretty much. But, remember, a lot of GM's are gut checking Monte too. They know the Kings as an organization are a disaster so they probably think they can create the market for him by low balling. The Kings did this to themselves and they need to cut this amateur hour garbage out now. Bringing Walton back isn't a good start but there is still time to fix things.

Now that's an interesting idea. The Warriors have all the right pieces to seamlessly fit him in. At the very least, he'd play that bucket getting big off the bench role for them a la Mo Speights, and could potentially develop into more. That said, I agree the Warriors likely have bigger plans for Wiseman, either in-house or in trade.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Both Buddy and Marvin have made their feelings clear about their desire to (not) stay in Sacramento and that puts them in a different category from Fox and Haliburton. So I'm not going to shed any tears over these two when they leave. I'm sure they'll have success somewhere else and I won't hold that against them either. Sometimes it's just not a good fit for everyone involved.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Now that's an interesting idea. The Warriors have all the right pieces to seamlessly fit him in. At the very least, he'd play that bucket getting big off the bench role for them a la Mo Speights, and could potentially develop into more. That said, I agree the Warriors likely have bigger plans for Wiseman, either in-house or in trade.
Imagine Draymond’s reaction watching Marvin play “defense” lmao

Money working out aside, is the Laker trade really that bad. It’s essentially trading Buddy for THT who might be a better fit and Bagley for the 22nd. That’s better than two 2nd rounders for Bagley imo.

hrdboild

Staff member

SLAB

Hall of Famer

hrdboild

Staff member
I loved that dude. Was convinced he had mad upside. Someone else will maybe feel that joy next season. <3
Yeah, me too. And he had a couple big games before getting buried on the bench when Rudy Gay came in. Another casualty of the Kings' tendency to prioritize short-term goals over long-term goals perhaps? Or maybe he was just a head case who was happy cashing his pay check wherever he ended up.

It does make me feel slightly better that we're not alone in completely blowing it with a 2nd overall pick. That spot is cursed and it just happened to be our turn. You can add James Wiseman to the list of players who will (most likely) never make an All-Star team with the team that drafted them if he has any NBA success at all. It might look like Kevin Durant is the lone exception but he was drafted by the Seattle Supersonics and those fans don't even have a team anymore. So I guess what I'm saying is, it could be worse!

Remember back in 2013 we acquired former 2nd overall pick Derrick Williams for Luc Mbah a Moute who we'd acquired 4 months earlier for... 2 2nd rounders. Pretty much the exact same situation.

(Potential Silver Lining -- One of the 2nd rounders we traded to the Bucks ended up becoming Malcolm Brogdon)
Unfortunately it could end up mirroring it. The saddest thing is that per minute, Bagley has produced at the levels expected. Williams was a bad kind of tweener and never did. He also came in after an extra year in college.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I think Derrick Williams as a big fan of his at Arizona just didn't have an NBA body, he was a big at Arizona but an athletic wing in the NBA. Or maybe because of what was asked for him in the NCAA he didn't develop an NBA game by playing out of position. I don't know.

Marvin, its largely just a function of his injuries. You'd think he could be chill and thank the Kings for letting him rehab them how he sees fit and miss so much action but instead his dad is a total a-hat. If we get nothing for him I really can not wish him well.

I think Derrick Williams as a big fan of his at Arizona just didn't have an NBA body, he was a big at Arizona but an athletic wing in the NBA. Or maybe because of what was asked for him in the NCAA he didn't develop an NBA game by playing out of position. I don't know.

Marvin, its largely just a function of his injuries. You'd think he could be chill and thank the Kings for letting him rehab them how he sees fit and miss so much action but instead his dad is a total a-hat. If we get nothing for him I really can not wish him well.
And Derrick kind of got screwed timing wise. Had he come into the game the way it is now he probably would have found it much easier to find a role.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
And Derrick kind of got screwed timing wise. Had he come into the game the way it is now he probably would have found it much easier to find a role.
I think that in today's NCAA players like him will not go to a school where they are asked to play PF. Maybe I am wrong, but they will all demand to play 3 and transfer if they don't get their way. Although DW may not have had NBA aspirations right off the bat, he came in Sean Miller's initial class which was basically scrap pickups. It didn't end well for Miller but damn, he worked magic saving the program as Lute lost his ability to coach.

IMO the best case scenario for the KINGS and MB3 are for him to remain healthy and have a breakout season. Then they trade him for whatever they can get.

Would that really be the best case scenario for the kings?

Its the kings! Heres the way that scenario would turn out. Bagley somehow stays healthy. He balls out. The kings don't trade him, cause you know thats not what they would do. They would max him out. And then he would get hurt the following season, or go back to normal Bagley. #Kangz